I love bike!

2008 D460 or 2010 D660

Hi Redline peeps. I'm in the very early stages of shopping for a HT 29er and might have an opportunity to purchase one or the other of these bikes. I already have a 5.5 inch FS ride for the rocks, rocks, and more rocks here in the AZ desert and am looking for something fun for the less gnarly stuff and maybe a bit of commuter and/or the occasional 12/24hr race.

I'd ideally like to get on a steel frame with a suspension fork but these bikes in their stock forms don't fit both those bills. I've never ridden a steel HT let alone a 29er but heard from various buds that steel is really nice for a HT to at least make the HT ride not so 'hard' and a bit more forgiving. I'm not big on getting beat up (rode an aluminum HT 26er for a few years and had fun even with some abuse) so I'm wondering if you all would recommend the steel frame bike D460 over the alloy D660 based on my brief description of what I'm looking for in a ride. Do the benefits of steel strongly outweigh the benefits I would gain from the higher-end alloy bike with a better spec?

Also, I think I can get the D660 locally for @ $1100 and the D460 possibly for @ $400. Obviously the $400 sounds much better but the D660 has the RockShox suspension fork and more updated/nicer parts spec. Obviously there are a lot of factors I didn't get into here but thought I would just see if I could get any initial feedback. Thx in advance for any input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

d460

i can't speak to the d660, but i own and love my d460. and for that price, you can certainly trick it out with a nice suspension fork (i went manitou minute) and new brakes (those bb5s are crap) and still come out way ahead. the other specs are pretty similar as i recall, or at least not as important.

plus you get the benefit of riding steel and satisfying your curiosity and having a pretty mutually exclusive stable of bikes (alu FS and steel HT). plus, you can even ride rigid for a while just to see what that is about. plus, don't forget, steel is real.

go d460. then ride rigid for a few weeks (or months) as you shop for a screaming deal on a suspension fork. it'll be fun. hope that is helpful

I love bike!
    Thanks for the reply Otis I was really thinking along the same lines as you before I posted. I just didn't know if the D660 was vastly superior to the D460 which I didn't really think but was looking for some opinions from those in the know. With regards to the frames, to me the D660 seems a bit more on the 'business' side as opposed to the D460 which seems more on the 'fun' side. I'm looking for something that leans more to the 'fun' side of riding.

What frame size would you all recommend for someone who's 5'11"? Looks to me like a 19 would be the most likely fit. Anyone know if the top tubes on both frames are basically the same length? Thx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    as far as size, i can only speak from my experience, but here is something i wrote when i first bought the bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...73#post4997473

i suspect you might be right on the line between the 19 and 21. and the specs for the 2008 d460 are linked in my link.

as far as specs, i haven't done the full spec comparison, but i suspect a lot of the less important stuff on the d660 is slightly better (bb7 v. bb5). however, the wheelset appears to be the same, the derailleur on the d460 is just fine and you'll have the ability to pick your own fork.

the one thing i wish was that the d460 had come with a 34T rear (the d660 does for some reason). when i'm really suffering sometimes i dream of 1 more gear. oh well.