Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bross77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    64

    2006 Monocog - geared conversion?

    I am sure that you guys have exhausetd this topic....my knee is ready to get some gears back on a hardtail and I can't part ways with my steel perfect frame Monocog- can someone please send a detailed explanation of how they converted theirs to possibly 1x9 or something I can go off of to be able to convert mine- and how did it work out for you?

    Thanks.....Ross

  2. #2
    Rides Uphill Slow
    Reputation: The Hookler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by bross77
    I am sure that you guys have exhausetd this topic....my knee is ready to get some gears back on a hardtail and I can't part ways with my steel perfect frame Monocog- can someone please send a detailed explanation of how they converted theirs to possibly 1x9 or something I can go off of to be able to convert mine- and how did it work out for you?

    Thanks.....Ross

    I think the only way would to run an internal geared hub since there isn't a rear der hanger on the bike. Just my two cents.
    I'm here for the downhill

  3. #3
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    439
    I recently put gears on a 2005 Monocog.

    I used this for the hanger

    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=20611

    I have 2 cogs in the back and a triple up front. Yea, it is a rather strange set up, but I do have the gears I want. Just one of those "why not give it a try" projects. I have not taken any pictures yet, but will get those up here to view soon.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asphaltdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    530
    +1 for the DMR.
    Converted my MC29r to gears last summer.
    Had to file it off a little, but it worked fine last summer


    Ride more!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ozmosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc
    I wish I would have used that one.
    I used this sunrace hanger:
    http://www.bikeman.com/store/graphic...DP/DP1071B.jpg

    I made mine a 1x8 this summer with an alivio 8sp shifter, full length housing, deore shifter, and 11/34 cassette. I already had geared-compatible wheels on there. I did this for a trip to Fruita/Grand Junction. I'm glad I did for that trip, but it was no fun once I returned to less steep terrain. Changed it back to singlespeed.

    Here's how it looked:

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc
    I recently put gears on a 2005 Monocog.

    I used this for the hanger

    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=20611

    I have 2 cogs in the back and a triple up front. Yea, it is a rather strange set up, but I do have the gears I want. Just one of those "why not give it a try" projects. I have not taken any pictures yet, but will get those up here to view soon.
    3x2 or even 2x2 gears sounds great, please post pics and tell me what all parts you used.

  7. #7
    sonoranbiker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    385
    I looked into the same thing last year, and after factoring in new wheel(s), derailleurs, shifters, cassette, etc., it just made more sense to sell my MC29er and get a D440. It's the same frame (same geometry) but with regular dropouts and a derailleur hanger. Check it out.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoranbiker
    I looked into the same thing last year, and after factoring in new wheel(s), derailleurs, shifters, cassette, etc., it just made more sense to sell my MC29er and get a D440. It's the same frame (same geometry) but with regular dropouts and a derailleur hanger. Check it out.
    That occured to me, but I really don't want to go fully geared- 2x2 or even 1x2 would be an improvement. Won't 2 cogs fit on the stock rear wheel with a spacer?

  9. #9
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    439
    Used various parts sitting around As you can see from the pics, I put two cogs on the rear hub, 20t Surly, 25t Rennen, an old STX rear mech, and a friction shifter.
    I used the DMR chain tug with hanger
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=20611

    Added the granny and big rings to the crank. Decided to skip a front shift. This bicycle is set up for certain solo rides in my area. Speed is not a concern when this one is ridden. I now call it the Monotank. It weighs in at 32.5 pounds. Actually climbs not bad. But what a stable feel descending with that Panaracer up front, the tire alone weighs 2 pounds, wheel is 3.5 pounds, and fork at 5 pounds.









    The old tank keeps rolling.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc
    Used various parts sitting around As you can see from the pics, I put two cogs on the rear hub, 20t Surly, 25t Rennen, an old STX rear mech, and a friction shifter.
    I used the DMR chain tug with hanger
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=20611

    Added the granny and big rings to the crank. Decided to skip a front shift. This bicycle is set up for certain solo rides in my area. Speed is not a concern when this one is ridden. I now call it the Monotank. It weighs in at 32.5 pounds. Actually climbs not bad. But what a stable feel descending with that Panaracer up front, the tire alone weighs 2 pounds, wheel is 3.5 pounds, and fork at 5 pounds.









    The old tank keeps rolling.
    How does the rear derailer shift with only the two gears? Can the L and H screw be adjusted to limit overshifting? I love my Monocog 29er, but find my knees would like more gear options. I am real close to springing for a Niner MCR, but would like to make the redline more knee friendly and spend a lot less. I would need to get a cassette friendly rear wheel with the hanger/tensioner. I just got my Cannondale ready to ride, but it just feels so small- I feel like a circus bear on the little bike and it only has the 26er's.

  11. #11
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    439
    Hard to get both in line with just space for two cogs. I have it set up so the top won't shift off and then into the spokes, but it will fall off the 20 tooth, but then just rides on the lock ring, and then it is just shifted back up. I don't shift that much with this set up. Just a fun experiment, probably about 30 hours of ride time on it so far.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6
    hey, but can i use the dmr chain tug with the original rear wheel? or is the hib is ss specific on a 08 monocog?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •