mtbr member

09 Monocog V-brake clearance

So I bought a 'cog a few weeks ago but because of the snow, haven't had a chance to ride it. Instead, I've been staring at it waiting for the snow to melt. In doing so, I keep noticing there's almost no clearance between the rear tire and the straddle cable on the V-brake.

I sent some pictures to Redline and haven't heard back from them. I talked to the dealer about it and they say they're all like this. True enough, I went back and checked out two other 'cogs and they also have about 1cm of clearance between the tire and cable.

What's up with this clearance? Is anyone having problems with a lack of clearance? It looks like the studs were welded on too low as the brake pads are almost at the top of of the brake arms. Is this an issue when actually riding? There'a about an index-finger's space on the front but i can't even get my pinkie between the tire and the cable on the back. Adjusting the wheelbase yields no noticeable improvement. Eventually I'd like discs but I'd like to use the Vs first. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09 Monocog V-brake clearance-back-w-pinkie.jpg  

09 Monocog V-brake clearance-back.jpg  

09 Monocog V-brake clearance-front.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have discs on mine right now but I cannot recall the stock brake having that little amount of clearance.

My '08 Monocog's frame is slightly different than yours though. I have a flat plate between the two seat stays.
    Signature

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well uncertain

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm not happy with the lack of clearance and I'm not happy that I haven't received a response from Redline. I emailed them a week ago.

The dealer says they have many people riding this bike and nobody else has made mention of this. They claim a rider put a 2.4" tire on the back with no difficulty.

I like the way the bike looks and how it felt when I test rode it (before I bought) but now I don't even want to ride the thing until I get some unbiased feedback as to whether this is normal or something is wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have the 09 and can tell you that I have only had to stop once to clear out the brakes but I probably shouldn't have been riding where I was. Don't worry about it. Your buyer's remorse will go away when you get a chance to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Don't worry about it just ride. Wait until you try to remove or install an inflated tire, it's tough. I wore the original WTB tire out pretty quick on mine and went to a Small Block 8.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replies. I called redline and spoke to some folks there who assurred me the bike was built, correctly, this way. I think the bosses are too low on the seat stays but apparently they are all the same. I'm not comfortable with this but I don't know what I can do other than ignore it. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    On my 08 I have almost 1/2" clearance with the 2.3 Exiwolf. I think your problem is the chain is too short and the wheel is pulled all the way forward in the dropout. My rear axel is just slightly rear of center in the dropout or about 5/8" back.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at
    On my 08 I have almost 1/2" clearance with the 2.3 Exiwolf. I think your problem is the chain is too short and the wheel is pulled all the way forward in the dropout. My rear axel is just slightly rear of center in the dropout or about 5/8" back.
    Good point. I have seen a few Redlines fresh off the showroom floor with the wheel positioned almost all the way forward in the dropouts.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Thanks for your replies !! I looked around at the shop and there are some other bikes there with V brakes and sliding dropouts and there was lots more clearance.

I was advised to pull the wheel back to try to get more clearance but when I did this, I didn't notice any significant change. Redline said they checked on a model in the warehouse and there was about a finger-and-a-half of clearance. That's just not going to happen on my bike.

I checked and the wheel is pretty far forward but the tensioners are already about half-way in as set-up by the shop. If I back the wheel out much more, I'm going to need longer bolts. Wouldn't I want to shorten the chain, and thus the wheelbase, as opposed to lengthening the chain?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09 Monocog V-brake clearance-wheelposition.jpg  

Last edited by surly jason; 03-02-2010 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Adding a link should do it. You have plenty to work with on those tensioners.
    Signature

Apr 2007
    You won't need longer bolts. There is that second hole in the tensioner that you put the axle bolts through. And yes, you do need to move that wheel back a bit. Ask that shop to put in a link. Looks like whoever built the bike cut the chain too short (or he's a hipster).

But even at your current setting, I see no problems running it that way, unless you're going through a mud field. If it really bothers you and the above solution doesn't work, you can always go disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Since I started this, I might as well finish it ... you guys gave me some great advice about my new bike. I wish the dealer was as helpful as this forum has been !! In going back through my experience, I tried to think of what I wanted the dealer to say and here it is: “Bring the bike back and let's check it out together and we'll see what we can do to make you happy." Instead, I was asked if I moved the wheel back because that should make a difference.

Looking at the bike, it would be tough to lengthen the wheelbase since the chain is so short. Also, my thought was that lengthening the chain and wheelbase to make room for the brake and tire is less desirable than keeping a short wheelbase since a tighter wheelbase makes the bike more maneuverable. Because of this, I stubbornly persist in my belief that the canti mounts are too low.

I've been riding for a long time but this is my first single-speed and first 29r bike. This means that I am learning about the chain length and how the tensioners work. Since my my bike didn't come with an owner's manual, I'm guessing at things and relying on the helpful advice of friends and your thoughtful responses. Let me specifically send thanks to p nut for pointing out that the second hole in the tensioners can be used for the axle; I was totally not aware of that.

At any rate, I bought discs for the bike (BB7s -- 185 rotor for up front and 160 for the back) and installed some Jagwire housings and cables. The cables are amazingly smooth and the brakes were a cinch to set up. What's cool is how the calipers color match the dark gray of the bike. I also unscrewed the canti posts for a cleaner look. The whole bike is really, really sharp and I'll post some pictures in the next couple of weeks.

I took the bike out yesterday for the first time and enjoyed the ride through town. Next ride will have some trails, too.

Thanks again !!

mtbr member

discs

Here's some pictures of the brakes. I tried for some whole-bike pics but I don't have a good background. Should I put something in the stud mounts or leave them bare? I'm going to trim the cables to their final length after my next go-round the neighborhood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09 Monocog V-brake clearance-185mm-close-up.jpg  

09 Monocog V-brake clearance-back-wheel-160mm.jpg  

09 Monocog V-brake clearance-back-end.jpg  

09 Monocog V-brake clearance-no-canti-studs.jpg  

mtbr member
    I would fill the stud holes in. Get your LBS to order you some of these Blanks

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip !!
    Surly Jason

'09 Redline Monocog 29er
    '08 Surly Cross-Check
    '07 Cannondale CAAD 9 Optimo 1
    '?? Schwinn Heavy-Duti

Apr 2007
    Looks good. I actually ordered some BB7's (185f/160r) and they're sitting in the box getting ready to be installed on my MCF. I've only had hydro discs and my still all-time favorite XTR V-Brakes, but heard good things about the BB7's, so hopefully they'll be all their cracked up to be.

I know some people have actually ground off the stud mounts. Don't know if you want to go that extreme, but it has been done. Probably would require a repaint.

As far as the wheelbase concern, it's only maybe half-inch to one inch, so it's not going to affect it noticably, IMO. The only problem I see with running it that close in is difficulty getting the chain off of the cog. Other than that, though, shouldn't matter much where you run the wheel. Have fun with it. I've also got a Surly Steamroller that I enjoy a lot, too. Nice choice on bikes.

mtbr member
    Thanks, p nut !!

I like the BB7s -- they seem to work well. I mean, I've ridden the bike all of about a mile or so but they're quiet, seem powerful and were very easy to set up. I am also surprised at how smooth the jagwire cables and housings are. I have lots of left-over from my disc install and plan to use it on my Cross-Check.
    Surly Jason

'09 Redline Monocog 29er
    '08 Surly Cross-Check
    '07 Cannondale CAAD 9 Optimo 1
    '?? Schwinn Heavy-Duti