mtbr member
    Oct 2009

$1200ish for a Redline?

Iíve been talking to the LBS about the possibility of building a bike, which is something Iím very interested in. But after starting to look at frames, I just get confused and concerned. Iím not that familiar with all of the frame options the shop has and am concerned about budget. Ultimately Iíd like gears and front suspension and think its going to be very tough to come in under $1500ÖIíd like to stay closer to $1200. I test rode a few bikes that the shop has to try and get an idea of frame sizes and different geometry. In doing so I found that I REALLY like the Redlines. I rode a 2010 D600 and the 2011 D660. The D660 is pretty sweet, but at $1,799 itís stretch for the budget. The D600 was nice, I liked that the 2010 was still cromoly, but I wasnít crazy about the Dart 3. So, as an alternative to building, Iím considering buying new and upgrading. For around $1200, what makes the most sense?
    2011 D440 + discs (BB7s) + suspension fork (something along the lines of Manitou Tower Expert) and upgrade anything else later as needed. I have not ridden a D440 and donít remember if the shop has one in stock, but if I recall the geo. is basically the same as the D600.
    2010 D600 + upgraded fork and upgrade anything else later as needed. They have the 2010 at 10% off, might be able to do a bit better.
    Monocog Flight +gears (maybe x7 or SLX) + fork (again Tower Pro) and upgrade anything else later as needed. I have not ridden the flight, but the shop has one so I can and will try.
    The bike will see a mix of cruising around town and rail trails with wife and kids as well as midwestern rocky-rooty single track. I feel like any of the frames are going to be solid and worthy of upgrades. Aside from discs and the Dart 3, is there that much difference between the D440 and D600? Considering Iíd need at least (for 1x9) a new rear hub, cassette, rear der. and shifter (plus the fork), Iím pretty sure I canít do the flight for $1200. Iíd consider spending a bit more if the frame is much better than the othersÖ.but too much more and Iím going to be looking at the D660 and an angry wife
    Thoughts?

habitual line-stepper
    it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, get the D660

(says the guy with three complete bikes and two frames in the garage)
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Buy a flight, and upgrade later. It is a solid and flexible bike. I love mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not trying to sway you but here's another option:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...on29sport.html

I have a d440 and really like it as it is set up to be easily upgraded. I just bought a Dragon 29 Race after considering building up a bike. After looking for what seemed like forever, I found it's hard to beat the stock Jamis build for the money.Either way you can't go wrong, but I doubt you'd be able to build the Redline up with a shock, hydro brakes,and X7 components for the price of the Jamis. I paid a few hundred below retail as well and don't see why you couldn't negotiate the price down if you had a local dealer. Good luck.
    Last edited by theMailmanismydad; 02-07-2011 at 12:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you like the Redlines, see if you can locate a 2010 D660.
    I've got a 2010 I loved so much that I also bought a 2011.
    The 2010 is more affordable, and a better value for the money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by burrfutt
    If you like the Redlines, see if you can locate a 2010 D660.
    I've got a 2010 I loved so much that I also bought a 2011.
    The 2010 is more affordable, and a better value for the money.
    Since my LBS has a '10 D600 I was curious if there might be any '10 D660s out there somewhere that someone would be looking to unload. Is there a way my dealer can check with Redline/Seattle Bike to find out other shops invontory? I guess I can check with my shop on that.

Quote Originally Posted by theMailmanismydad
    Not trying to sway you but here's another option:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...on29sport.html

Interesting that you mentioned the Jamis. That was on my radar, however due to new owership, my LBS is no longer selling Jamis

Quote Originally Posted by cooljavy
    Buy a flight, and upgrade later. It is a solid and flexible bike. I love mine.
    That or the 440 might be best option at this point. Just had some unexpected home repairs that ate into my bike fund.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've been busy and have not made it to the LBS yet but the owner actually called me last night. He said he recalled how I had mentioned how much I liked the D660 and wanted to make me an offer I could not refuse. He is willing to drop the price on the D660 to much closer to my $1200ish than retail My only concern at this point is size. The only size he has is a 17", which is what I rode. It felt really good on my test but at 5'11" I'd like to try a 19". He did have a 19" Felt which I rode and that seemed a bit big,but it has a longer TT that the D660. My current 26" hardtail has a TT of 23.4 which fits pretty good. I beleive the 17" D660 is 23" and the 19" around 23.7? Anyhow I'm going to stop by Friday after work. We shall see what happens.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If your knees and legs are happy, I wouldn't sweat the top-tube - go with a slightly longer stem if you need it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I am about your height and started out with the 17. It felt fine the first couple of rides which was on fast trails with minimal hills. When I rode it on a trail with big steep climbs it started to feel cramped. The frame ended up having a flaw and when they warrantied it I got the 19. It fits me perfect and I no longer feel cramped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by burrfutt
    If your knees and legs are happy, I wouldn't sweat the top-tube - go with a slightly longer stem if you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoboing
    I am about your height and started out with the 17. When I rode it on a trail with big steep climbs it started to feel cramped. The frame ended up having a flaw and when they warrantied it I got the 19. It fits me perfect and I no longer feel cramped.
    Two different views. All the more reason I believe I don't know jack about sizing and fit and should not buy or build a bike without riding first. Even then it can be hard to tell until you really spend time on the bike.

hoboing, had you not had frame issues would you have tried a longer stem or other adjustments and do you think it would have helped?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    haager,

I would have made it work, and I think it would have been fine. I would have used a longer stem.