mtbr member

wireless routers

hey, guys. in know this has nothing to do with mtb'ing but need some assistance.

what do i need to know about wireless routers? my current one is about 8 years old and drops the connection frequently. also, has connectivity issues when more than one laptop is accessing the wifi. i work from home frequently via a vpn and want something stable but not what to look for.

some of the issues may be with my internet provider but trying to look at all avenues.

i see prices range from $15-$200- what are the differences? what should i be looking for?

thanks!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Take it from an IT guy, go to Walmart and pick up the Netgear wireless N router for around $30. Install the cd rom first, and enjoy

Note: the cd walks you thru every step and includes photos lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z View Post
    hey, guys. in know this has nothing to do with mtb'ing but need some assistance.

what do i need to know about wireless routers? my current one is about 8 years old and drops the connection frequently. also, has connectivity issues when more than one laptop is accessing the wifi. i work from home frequently via a vpn and want something stable but not what to look for.

some of the issues may be with my internet provider but trying to look at all avenues.

i see prices range from $15-$200- what are the differences? what should i be looking for?

thanks!
    ez
    Big part of the cost is going to be with range and with bandwidth. Chances are, your ISP is going to be the weak link in the whole situation, so at a certain point, bandwidth isn't much of an issue, but the extra range might be depending on the size of your house and where you want to put the router.

It can be helpful here to know what broadband plan your ISP is providing you. That will let you know at which point any bandwidth capability improvements in the router will not be realized relative to internet access.

If you will be doing data transfers (games, file transfers, etc) within your network, then you'll definitely be able to make use of the extra bandwidth between computers

-assuming-

the wireless adapters on your computers can make use of the appropriate protocols. Know the wireless adapters on your computer(s). If your wireless adapter is a b/g, for example, you will not be able to make use of the benefits from a b/g/n router compared to a cheaper b/g router. If you want to utilize the additional range and bandwidth benefits of a router using the n protocol, your wireless adapter must support the n protocol, also.

I have found 15Gb/s to be pretty much the minimum you need to stream HD video content (from Netflix, for example). It also allows you to watch most HD youtube vids without waiting for them to pre-load. I used to have 10Gb/s service from my ISP, and netflix would not stream HD and most standard def youtube vids loaded fine, but HD content required buffering. Any gains I saw regarding general internet page loading speed and file download speeds were not all that major. The major differences were with video content. That said, I don't always get those speeds. Sometimes netflix has trouble streaming HD content for me I'm assuming because of the way cable internet service works with bandwidth allocation to everyone in a neighborhood. But that's uncommon.

I could pay for a higher speed, but any benefits I'd see from that would be even more limited.

mtbr member
    Really most home grade WIFI routers cover the same basic bases. The additional ports, speed, range, software features and reliability are usually what end up costing more than a basic $30 job from Walmart.

Newegg is a good place to browse consumer reviews.

Newegg.com - Wireless Routers, Wireless Network Routers, Wireless-G Routers

I generally prefer cisco/linksys products (Cisco being the parent compay of Linksys) and this router has consistently decent reviews as long as you do care so much about attaching a USB printer to it or a NAS device.

Newegg.com - LINKSYS E3000 Wireless Router simultaneous Dual Band Gigabit 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4GHz / 5GHz up to 300Mbps with USB Built-in UPnP AV Media Server

Whatever you get make sure it has WPA2 security. Its very easy to break into a WIFI network with anything less

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have found 15Gb/s to be pretty much the minimum you need to stream HD video content (from Netflix, for example). It also allows you to watch most HD youtube vids without waiting for them to pre-load. I used to have 10Gb/s service from my ISP, and netflix would not stream HD and most standard def youtube vids loaded fine, but HD content required buffering.
    I hope you mean you mean 15 Mbps and not Gbps which would be a crazy fast connection and probably cost you more a month than the mortgage on my house.

mtbr member
    try restarting your computer, lulz

mtbr member
    Don't buy anything until you find out if there's a firmware upgrade for the router you already have.

Go search on the manufacturer's website for the upgrade under the support section. Nine times out of ten, there's a fix for your problem in the latest code. Especially if you have a widely supported router like a Linksys.

PM me if you need any specific directions.

Edit: This may be a clever ploy to identify the techies among us.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Don't buy anything until you find out if there's a firmware upgrade for the router you already have.

Go search on the manufacturer's website for the upgrade under the support section. Nine times out of ten, there's a fix for your problem in the latest code. Especially if you have a widely supported router like a Linksys.

PM me if you need any specific directions.

Edit: This may be a clever ploy to identify the techies among us.

LOL, I think it is a ploy! loll...

The reason I recommended the Netgear Wallyworld router is simplistics. I work for Comcast in the tech help dept. and I know the Linksys and Netgear systems back and forth and the Netgear is pretty much a set it and forget it type of system. We seem to have to reset the Linksys stuff much more. You have two high speed options in your area, and I'd assume you're either Comcast or W.O.W. Both of which will stream HD easily through most routers. Now, if you're DSL then your limitations are greater.

By the way, restarting your pc wont do much, you need to do a power reset of the modem
    THEN the router.

mtbr member
    excellent info. thanks, guys!

shooter, yep, comcast (used to have wow). comcast has been out here a ton because of other phone and internet drops but hopefully they fixed it outside somewhere since everything is good in my house.

thanks again for your help!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter98 View Post
    Take it from an IT guy, go to Walmart and pick up the Netgear wireless N router for around $30. Install the cd rom first, and enjoy

Note: the cd walks you thru every step and includes photos lol..
    Yep.

Most people, even gamers, don't need 300 mbps. I've been told by many a friend in the PC industry to stick with N150 or even G routers. G at 54mbps is still really fast and much more reliable.
    As a person licensed by the FCC, I can also tell you to stay away from fancy multi-antenna routers. Stick with routers that have one internal or one external antenna.
    Multiple antennas react with one another and screw up the antenna's transmit and receive patterns, which creates blind spots around your home or business.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    Yep.

Most people, even gamers, don't need 300 mbps. I've been told by many a friend in the PC industry to stick with N150 or even G routers. G at 54mbps is still really fast and much more reliable.
    As a person licensed by the FCC, I can also tell you to stay away from fancy multi-antenna routers. Stick with routers that have one internal or one external antenna.
    Multiple antennas react with one another and screw up the antenna's transmit and receive patterns, which creates blind spots around your home or business.
    If plan on doing online gaming, get a hard wire connection while doing so, otherwise your ping might end up sky high...

But I have a Linksys WRT54G which is already a few years old and was very inexpensive in that time and work very good. Those are now very expensive to get, since Linksys stop making them and those routers had a super versatile firmware that could allow you to use that router for almost anything, such as a weather station, etc.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!