Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    banned
    Feb 2012

Why are XC racers so slow downhill?

I have notice that when the riders of the hard tail with the flat low bars and very high seat are very slow downhill. Do they work on their downhill abilities? Someone taught them that stiff legs are good, which even beginners know isn't. Maybe their fancy shoes don't allow them to bend their knees. Also their tight costumes look silly and do not add to the viewing pleasure. Maybe the tight clothing is uncomfortable and and makes them ride with stiff legs and poor downhill ability. I think even tights affect slight downhills because they walk their bikes down slopes that are equal to my driveway.

I think this could be a good lesson for beginners. Do not try to look like a baby giraffes first stand when going down hills.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think it comes down to whatever you're comfortable with. I've seen plenty of XC guys on hardtails who destroy downhill segments on trails. I've also seen guys walk down them or take them slow. I'm more of a slow guy because I'm not good enough to fly down them without either A. Breaking my bike or B. Breaking myself.

Plus you don't know why a rider is taking it slow. Maybe a few months ago he/she ripped down a DH and went OTB and cracked his collarbone in half.

This sport is about respecting other people's riding abilities. Remember, you were a beginner once too.
    "Sir, you're drunk!" "Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vollmerj View Post
    This sport is about respecting other people's riding abilities.
    Not for some it seems.

Clearly the OP's sport is hanging out under bridges and asking passers-by 3 questions....
    occasional cyclist

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuper View Post
    I have notice that when the riders of the hard tail with the flat low bars and very high seat are very slow downhill. Do they work on their downhill abilities? Someone taught them that stiff legs are good, which even beginners know isn't. Maybe their fancy shoes don't allow them to bend their knees. Also their tight costumes look silly and do not add to the viewing pleasure. Maybe the tight clothing is uncomfortable and and makes them ride with stiff legs and poor downhill ability. I think even tights affect slight downhills because they walk their bikes down slopes that are equal to my driveway.

I think this could be a good lesson for beginners. Do not try to look like a baby giraffes first stand when going down hills.
    Okay. I'll remember that next time I'm being cautious on the trail. After all, if your not balls to the walls on the downhills you suck and need to be told so. Heaven forbid someone take it easy. After all every ride is a race for first and the associated prize money. Go bold or go home, right?

banned
    Feb 2012
    I'm sorry, I did not mean to upset your abilities. I was not talking about the averageness and mediocracy of everybody on the trails. I was talking about the professionals on the youtube videos who ride terribly.

when was the last time you rode an xc race bike on a downhill? they do not handle the same as your freeride tank.

DFMBA.org
    I'm an XC HT guy and I suck at descents but fully capable on climbs. I dislocated my elbow MTBing after a crash so I'm a bit gun-shy on the descents.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i would post a "don't feed the troll" picture, but this is fun to watch. nobody take any of this too seriously.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Or the OP's sport includes lurking in bushes, and asking passers-by 3 questions.....
    occasional cyclist

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Or the OP's sport includes lurking in bushes, and asking passers-by 3 questions.....
    I don't know what your bushes are but I think maybe your experiences are different than mine. I think it's OK for you.

B.Ike
    Why not post in the xc race forum? You might get a better response.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Why DH racers are so slow going uphill?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hahahaha

Michigan Wolverine
    This thread smells like troll.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It was on the you tubes? Then that means it is 176% true. All hail the tubes of you.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

Is not amused
    Aww, everyone's all pissy this morning.
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 02-26-2012 at 04:47 AM.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

banned
    Sep 2010
    I'm sorry, I did not mean to upset your abilities. I was not talking about the averageness and mediocracy of everybody on the trails. I was talking about the professionals on the youtube videos who ride terribly.

David Copperfield?

mtbr member
    have you ever seen a DH guy climb? someone needs to tell them they look silly in the sweltering heat, sweating in their baggie pants and motorcycle helmets slowly plodding and bobbing up a hill like it's covered in a foot of snow.

mtbr member
    You said it Hutch!

You also have to factor in that the person wants to finish the race. If an XC racer isn't good at decents, more than likely they are going to take their time and slowy get down a hill so they don't crash. It's like this...finish the race a minute or two slower but in one piece, or take the risk of seriously hurting yourself for that one minute's worth of time. Any logical rider know's where their limit is on terrain. Maybe they're just trying to race and have fun without hurting themselves.

@mack_turtle- I have seen DH guys try to climb..so goofy..so goofy...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    1) What is your name?
    2) What is your quest?
    3) What is the average flying speed of a swallow holding a coconut in his beak?
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have notice the opposite. The downhill or "gravity" people as they like to say so not seem to understand the hill climb. I see them push their 50 lbd 10 inch suspension bike up even the most meager of climbs. Perhaps their big floppy shoes make it difficult to pull up on the pedals. Or pehaps the baggy shorts interfere with peddling. Perhaps they don't know what peddles for? Someone should tell them it is ok to stand on a bike and push down on the squares at bottom of cranks. Its ok. They all so young, they probably don't know. I remember when I was kid, I had awesome bik that ypu pushed with your feet. I liked to go downhill in driveway. Bike was not so good going up.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    weak troll OP.

to answer - cats who race at a high level are not slow going up or down...Chris Eatough is one example.

Individuals who focus on XC, Trials, DH, Endurance, Short track, CX etc will excel in those specific areas.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

AZ
    banned

I do it so guy's like you don't get dropped.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast