Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    36 years ago today I went to the top of a steep hill we called "Repack" with five friends and we timed our runs.

Mountain biking started on that day. Downhill is the first fat-tire off-road discipline.

What we found out is that you won't win without scaring the cr@p out of yourself. It became addictive.
    Fascinating stuff...bookmarked for later reading

NONDURO
    36 years ago today I went to the top of a steep hill we called "Repack" with five friends and we timed our runs.

Mountain biking started on that day. Downhill is the first fat-tire off-road discipline.

What we found out is that you won't win without scaring the cr@p out of yourself. It became addictive.
    My boys and I enjoy watching the Klunkerz DVD. Always fun watching you long-haired hippies bombing down the hills in blue jeans! I got my first mountain bike back in 1982. It was a piece of crap Peugeot with crappy loose-ball bearing hubs, but it just might have been a bit more refined than the bikes you guys built in the early days.

I had no idea it was exactly 36 years ago! Happy anniversary you granddaddy of MTBing!!! Thanks again for pioneering my favourite hobby!!! (to you, Bob, Otis, Joe, Tom, Gary, Wende, etc.)
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Professional Crastinator

Thanks for the links! The nostalgia is flooding in.

The description of the bikes in the story of going from Crested Butte to Aspen describes our bikes around 1978-1980 (I was only 10, but my bro. was 17): Pieces and parts that continually evolved as better parts were found and weak parts were broken. We always had a donor bike that was cannibalized to keep my brother's and my bike rolling, but I still remember riding with stripped handlebars, bent rims, bent cranks, bent pedals, bent seats...

And even though we didn't live in the mountains, the best downhill was littered with babyheads and had a wide creek crossing at the bottom. First one to the bottom wins, but crashing in the creek negated your run (it was full of babyheads, too!).
    You had to ride all the way across and up the other bank, so momentum was key.
    There were many times when we both hit the creek at the same time, water splashing everywhere, mud flying, and both bikes embedding in the muck of the far bank - sometimes left standing on their own as we dismounted and ran up the bank. I'm sure I had to dig in that muck at least once to retrieve a Pro Ked that had been sucked off my foot.

What's the point of a DH race? Ha ha - good one!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    As someone who is just getting into mountain biking, and quickly falling in love with DH, I think I have already found the answer to this one;

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Thanks for the links! The nostalgia is flooding in.

The description of the bikes in the story of going from Crested Butte to Aspen describes our bikes around 1978-1980

-F
    Interesting, I found documentation on Charlie's site showing the CB to Aspen ride being done as early as 1976 as well as the start of the clandestine klunker races in Marin county that same year. Is this why everyone in CB claims that mtb'ing as we know it started in the high country of Co. and not in the hills of Ca.?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3