Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    dwt
    mtbr member
    How about DH skiing? Racing DH fast is hard wired in the human genome, as is racing in general. But the balls and the skill to do DH well are relatively rare. Anyone who has to ask the question likely lacks the balls and the talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

duh
    Mountain biking has many disciples, you got downhill, cross country, free ride and probably more that I don't know about. They all have different skill sets that make it hard to pit one against the other. I personally never tried downhill (kinda scared to) but like to watch it for the speed and skill.

It is also much like skiing, you don't just have one kind of race that would be boring.

FKA Malibu412
    I sense someone's envious of Az's post count responses to the Lance confession thread and came up with this to kick over a crusty pile of poo just to see how many flies would be buzzing.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    I sense someone's envious of Az's post count responses to the Lance confession thread and came up with this to kick over a crusty pile of poo just to see how many flies would be buzzing.
    Huh! What did he say?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Ride Instigator
    Try riding a heavy, squishy DH bike UPhill and you'll see why they race them DOWNhill!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You should ask that here: Downhill - Freeride - Mtbr Forums
    +1
    OP, DH'ers are kind and gentle folk. They will sit you down with a nice cup of tea and have a long heart to heart with you, seriously you'll gain a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Amazing video, I don't think many folks could beat that dudes time in dry conditions.

Serious skills, balls of steel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    OP is so dum.

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Gosh its a bummer to see this. Obviously the OP is quite narrow minded.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post

That was just awsome! What can you say? I'm not a DH guy because I'm 41 and have a family to feed aaaaaaannnnd my balls are not that big. The point to this is, there is a point to DH. BE FIRST TO THE BOTTOM.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    No, seriously, racing down a hill for a couple of minutes? Everyone knows that races are won on the climbs and flats, not the descents. What gives?
    Skinny leg contest for the win.

Ever wonder why the “extreme” DH little boys seem homophobic? They are insecure of their skinny legs so they only wear baggies—I initially thought it was due to their small genitalia, but I stand corrected—it’s just a leg thing.

I’ve tried baggies on rides before and found difficulties maneuvering on my bike when they’d get caught up on the front of the seat as well as on the shifters/handlebars… so it’s why I use “faggy versus baggy” spandex/lycra. Added bonus is the fat penis show for the ladies—I think they like it. My wife is A-OK with the fat penis show I am able to present to her after my rides.

Sorry, what was the question again? I think the O.P. was asking if smoked herring tasted better than pickled herring; my vote is for the smoked herring.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post

The MTBR flies seem to be better than usual at picking out good piles of poo. There was certainly a lot less buzzing than I was hoping for.

FWIW, I have nothing against DH racing. I race DH in the sense that there are generally four races per race weekend, with two gravity events and two endurance events. The field for my category is usually small enough that I get points simply by finishing, and my team pays for all races I enter, so it's pretty much a no-brainer that I'll race both gravity and endurance events, even though I'm one of those roadie-type XC geeks.

At my first DH race of the season, I managed to crash, and I almost kicked one of the course marshals in the face while I was tumbling down the trail. It hurt a lot, and I know that I must have hit my head pretty hard, because I got up and I completely forgot that I was supposed to be racing.

So I hung out with the course marshals for a while, and then I remembered that I had a number plate on me, so I finished my run. Ended up with an 11-minute run on a 3-minute course, but I still got some points.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Skinny leg contest for the win.
    Is it okay that I race DH in my spandex team kit, on my XC race bike?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nope. Never. No way. Not ever!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

The MTBR flies seem to be better than usual at picking out good piles of poo. There was certainly a lot less buzzing than I was hoping for.

FWIW, I have nothing against DH racing. I race DH in the sense that there are generally four races per race weekend, with two gravity events and two endurance events. The field for my category is usually small enough that I get points simply by finishing, and my team pays for all races I enter, so it's pretty much a no-brainer that I'll race both gravity and endurance events, even though I'm one of those roadie-type XC geeks.

At my first DH race of the season, I managed to crash, and I almost kicked one of the course marshals in the face while I was tumbling down the trail. It hurt a lot, and I know that I must have hit my head pretty hard, because I got up and I completely forgot that I was supposed to be racing.

So I hung out with the course marshals for a while, and then I remembered that I had a number plate on me, so I finished my run. Ended up with an 11-minute run on a 3-minute course, but I still got some points.

So your arrogance is due to the fact that you suck at DH, now it all makes sense.
    No, you will be a hazard for the other riders...and marshalls....and spectators.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    So your arrogance is due to the fact that you suck at DH, now it all makes sense.
    No, you will be a hazard for the other riders...and marshalls....and spectators.
    So would you like an apology for the fact that you fell for a trolling post?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

PRETENDURO
    If you’re wearing Quadzilla socks then everything is A-OK. PM Zen Turtle and he’ll hook you up.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

... and if we just ... I love this video

This is what downhill is all about

addicted to chunk
    Trollin' trollin' trollin'......get those wheel a rollin'.....trollin' trollin' trollin'.....rawhide! oh wait....
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    I can't stop laughing long enough to come up with a useful comment.

Im with you. Horses for courses, it takes all sorts. Down hill racing is without a doubt the best for of biking to watch iin my opinion. Nothing else is quite as full on to watch, Im thinking Danny hart super run!

Danny Hart - Champery - 2011 UCI Downhill World Championship - YouTube

usually cranky
    some people got trolled hard. even after the op was called out. lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osmarandsara View Post
    I think you are confusing XC racing with other forms of mountain bike racing....noobie mistake.
    But wait, how can he be a noob? He has 2500 posts and look at all those green rep points! He must be very knowledgeable and a great contributor to this website!

Retro on Steroids
    36 years ago today I went to the top of a steep hill we called "Repack" with five friends and we timed our runs.

Mountain biking started on that day. Downhill is the first fat-tire off-road discipline.

What we found out is that you won't win without scaring the cr@p out of yourself. It became addictive.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    36 years ago today I went to the top of a steep hill we called "Repack" with five friends and we timed our runs.

Mountain biking started on that day.
    Happy Anniversary! Or would that be Happy Birthday!?
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cool to watch and definitely requires mad skills but it seems that the risk of serious injury is faily high. Unless you are independently wealthy or live in your parents basement how can you make ends meet if you are out of work for weeks or months. My wife thinks I'm nuts for racing XC and doing road rides. Watch some of the down hill crash videos on youtube, body armor or not some broken bones and head injuries are happening.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti View Post
    I always thought the point was to make the highlight reel, as these colorful fellows demonstrate.

Silly Spandex people...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast