Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Bascule
    Quote Originally Posted by rotten1 View Post
    Fred Meyer is a major retailer, sells food, clothes, souls, etc.
    And a BSO is a bicycle shaped object, a piece of junk sold next to, well, whatever else they sell, and looks and rides remotely like a bicycle.
    In my best of days, I certainly wouldn't call that an of road bicycle, let alone a bicycle, but it has graphics all over it showing it's a twenty-niner.
    Maverick ALL over it.
    Went to the LBS - local bike shop - Sunday and the 29'ers outnumber the 26'ers 3 to 1. Wait, I am making things up now like you are. 2 to 1. Twenty niners are common place now, there is nothing maverick about a bike with big wheels now, and would make an educated guess that any company that doesn't have at least one big wheeler in their line-up isn't selling as well. They are all over the place. Saw a bum riding one yesterday - now, he may have been a maverick.
    Not sure what I'm making up here but at least I'm being politer than you.

My LBS's are selling a lot of 29ers but 26ers are the majority of stock by a long shot. Same picture on the trails. Thankfully, you prove my point by saying that manufacturers need at least one 29er in their line-up. And the bum - yup, he's a bum and by definition a maverick, living outside the mainstream.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What is so bothersome about topics regarding 29er bikes being posted in the 29er bikes forum? Is a bike not the sum of all of it's components? Is it a bike without bike wheels, fork, crank, pedals, wheels, tires? is it a 29er without 29" wheels and tires?

If I have questions about my 29er's components, they are about my 29er bike! I want to know what to upgrade to make my 29er bike ride stiffer/softer, what tires are best for both on and off road use, what pedals are durable but still light, etc, it is all still abut my 29er BIKE!

If someone was posting abut their kids tricycle, I'd understand the gripe (tho, not sure it makes sense to throw a fit over it) however, the problem is, it seems, people are curious about components for their 29er bike and go to the popular 29er bike forum...and apparently this is frowned upon. I didn't even realize there was a components forum. TR, I have followed a lot of your posts/replies and you seem very knowledgeable and willing to lend advice. I respect it. I only recently Joined but have been following for sometime now. I do not understand what the huge issue here is. To me, the bigger issue is that someone separated the 2 in the first place. But, I look more at the topic and less at the forum title anyway...if it doesn't interest me, I don't go in. If it does, I could care less whether or not it's in the "correct" forum.

I'm Done
    If you have a 29er and have a question about your seatpost clamp, which forum do you post in?

A) my own
    B) home town forum
    C) 29er components forum
    D) none of the above

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bascule View Post
    My LBS's are selling a lot of 29ers but 26ers are the majority of stock by a long shot. Same picture on the trails.
    Well you live in New Zealand so your opinion doesn't matter.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    I am new on here. Whats a 29er?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is the funniest damn thread i've ever read, gotta thank the OP for this one!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGABIGD View Post
    Assuming you aren't trolling, a 29er is something that if your bike doesn't have, you will be made to feel inferior, because of all the newbs who think 29ers are the bestest, and only, relevant standard, and therefore post everything in this stupid forum instead of the other forums where said topics actually belong.

With that said, if you don't know what a 29er is, continue not knowing, because ignorance is bliss. Otherwise, also ask what 650B, 24", Fatbikes, 29+, 69ers, and Hanebrinks are before making your next bicycle purchase decision

Bascule
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    Well you live in New Zealand so your opinion doesn't matter.
    But we got 'The Dark Knight Rises' before you. Wherever in the world you are.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Assuming you aren't trolling, a 29er is something that if your bike doesn't have, you will be made to feel inferior, because of all the newbs who think 29ers are the bestest, and only, relevant standard, and therefore post everything in this stupid forum instead of the other forums where said topics actually belong.

With that said, if you don't know what a 29er is, continue not knowing, because ignorance is bliss. Otherwise, also ask what 650B, 24", Fatbikes, 29+, 69ers, and Hanebrinks are before making your next bicycle purchase decision
    He is "trolling" (if I understand the term properly). I checked earlier as I was going to explain, with my very limited knowledge, what they are and what the lure is to them (based on there's posts as I just got mine and haven't hit a trail yet). He owns a stump jumper, I believe, but definitely has a 29er and has posted about it. I assume you are also annoyed with posts regarding fork, tires, drivetrains, etc, being here and not in a "29er components" forum...which makes no sense as most components built for 29ers are built for 26ers and others as well, right? Even wheels and tires are made in multiple diameters, I assume.

Now, due to my ignorance not feeling so blissful, what is a 29+, a 69er (assuming you're talking about a bike), and Hanebrinks? Surely not "trolling"... Curious as I am not familiar with the terms

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMTBER33 View Post
    Now, due to my ignorance not feeling so blissful, what is a 29+, a 69er (assuming you're talking about a bike), and Hanebrinks? Surely not "trolling"... Curious as I am not familiar with the terms
    I was being facetious with that, but 29+ refers to Surly's new Knard tire, which is 29x3.0" and, aside from fitting a few normal forks. and fitting on some fatbikes, mostly requires a new bike (Surly's Krampus) and wheel rim (Surly's Rabbit Hole). 69er is a bike with a 29" wheel up front and 26" in back, and I was really being facetious when I mentioned Hanebrink

The thing of it is, is people say stuff like "I posted about seatposts in the 29er Components forum because it pertains to improving my 29er!" but that isn't really proper to do that. The 29er Components forum is, I suppose, a legitimate forum, as long as it's about forks, tires, rims, things that are specific to 29ers. Over time, its usefulness will wane.

In the meantime, it's cluttered by noobs who just discovered mountain biking and think that 29ers are the only valid bikes in existence.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hmm...I see the point about the specific forums but, I see the opposing points as well. If I have a 29er(which I now do...and I am a noob aside from some crazy huffy riding as a teen and some trail riding on my Haro in 2002/03) and I want quick responses to some nagging questions I have, the 29er bike forum seems to be the place to get answers. Earlier there were 720 viewers on the "29er bikes" forum and 58 on the "...components forum". I'd prefer to ask my question(s) where I have the best chance at relevant, intelligent answers. Does that make sense? And , what is so wrong with that? Why not just ignore these posts if they bother you?

On the 69er...back in the nineties, made a Frankenbike with a larger tire out back and smaller front...thought it would help climbing due to lower front leveling smaller inclines out. It wasn't long before I realized it shifted my weight forward and made the bike flip over much more easily...that was back when crashing was fun though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bascule View Post
    Not sure what I'm making up here but at least I'm being politer than you.
    Well you may be politer but I have a 29'er, and therefore, am more Mavericky than you.

mtbr member
    3 inches more than what you got!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well, the problem with posting topics where you think they will get seen the most, versus where they actually belong, is that it causes a snowball effect, and eventually everyone will just post in one forum, and then madness will ensue.

I will offer up my own MTBR use as an example: a lot of what I learn about, I learn by casually browsing the sub-forums. It's not all just using the search feature. How can I search for something when I do not know of it's existence? That's how I ended up with a fatbike. I was bored one night and stumbled upon the Fatbike section.

And I was looking at buying nice lights, and had no idea that people made their own lights, until I stumbled upon the DIY Lights section.

Also, another time that I was bored, I got sucked into the Vintage, Retro, Classic section, and that's a good read but a rather cliquey sub section, lol.

And the other day I found myself browsing the Tandems section, which was highly intriguing.

Now, imagine that all of those were just in one forum. It would be a mess to sort through and learn new stuff, unless I was a pro with the forum search engine and knew exactly what keywords to search for.

It's kind of like this:

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Well, the problem with posting topics where you think they will get seen the most, versus where they actually belong, is that it causes a snowball effect, and eventually everyone will just post in one forum, and then madness will ensue.

I will offer up my own MTBR use as an example: a lot of what I learn about, I learn by casually browsing the sub-forums. It's not all just using the search feature. How can I search for something when I do not know of it's existence? That's how I ended up with a fatbike. I was bored one night and stumbled upon the Fatbike section.

And I was looking at buying nice lights, and had no idea that people made their own lights, until I stumbled upon the DIY Lights section.

Also, another time that I was bored, I got sucked into the Vintage, Retro, Classic section, and that's a good read but a rather cliquey sub section, lol.

And the other day I found myself browsing the Tandems section, which was highly intriguing.

Now, imagine that all of those were just in one forum. It would be a mess to sort through and learn new stuff, unless I was a pro with the forum search engine and knew exactly what keywords to search for.

It's kind of like this:

Ok...I see your point. Your presentation is remarkable as well. So, dumb, dumb question, I want to know what the best seat height is and how you go about adjusting it from a starting point ..(no, I don't mean how to loosen the seat post clamp and raise it...more, where is the best place to begin your adjustments from) this could be helpful in more than just the 29er forum but, given the different geometry of a 29er, may in fact be different than what would be advisable for other sizes..so, where do I post my question? And, while I wish I was kidding, I'm not. Seen so many bikes where the seat looks very high as compared to what I am used to...thinking I may benefit from following this but, the seat being 3 inches higher than the handlebars just seems so weird...

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMTBER33 View Post
    Ok...I see your point. Your presentation is remarkable as well. So, dumb, dumb question, I want to know what the best seat height is and how you go about adjusting it from a starting point ..(no, I don't mean how to loosen the seat post clamp and raise it...more, where is the best place to begin your adjustments from) this could be helpful in more than just the 29er forum but, given the different geometry of a 29er, may in fact be different than what would be advisable for other sizes..so, where do I post my question? And, while I wish I was kidding, I'm not. Seen so many bikes where the seat looks very high as compared to what I am used to...thinking I may benefit from following this but, the seat being 3 inches higher than the handlebars just seems so weird...
    Beginners Corner

father, mountain biker
    And what's with people posting their gripes about the evil bike industry, squeaky rigs and their disappointment with poor purchase decisions in the "Passion" thread. Can we please create a new "Whining and *****ing" forum for these posts?
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

Bascule
    Quote Originally Posted by rotten1 View Post
    Well you may be politer but I have a 29'er, and therefore, am more Mavericky than you.
    Um - where does it say that I don't own a 29er? I'm fairly sure I'm not making up the Anthem 29er X0 and Epic Comp 29er in my garage.

*Edit* - Ah yes, forgot to edit my profile when I bought the new bike. Corrected.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    i think there are way too many forums...i know how to scroll past a "what seat should i use on my 29er" thread if i don't want to see it, but might enjoy a discussion on what different fork rakes would do to the geometry of a bike...should that be in bikes, components, shocks... i liked things better before there was change. change is bad m'kay!

ps. i'm serious about the too many forums thing...change could possibly be ok in some circumstances, like the opportunity to be a maverick and ride a 29er...
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Agree with Mcd. I am quite new to this forum site...even tho I've been reading and writing trail reviews here for more than ten years . And I can tell you that I have no clue as to how the forums are organized...

The other day I was looking for an SS forum, and was really unable to find what I was looking for. The organization of all of the topics and sub topics appears to need some improvement . So for someone to get on here and whine about people not posting in the right place is really idiotic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Agree with Mcd. I am quite new to this forum site...

The other day I was looking for an SS forum, and was really unable to find what I was looking for. The organization of all of the topics and sub topics appears to need some improvement.
    Hmmm, I'm gonna go ahead and go with user error on this one. There's a Singlespeed forum right smack dab in the middle of the classic forums directory. Whet exactly was it that made it hard for you to find?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd View Post
    i think there are way too many forums..
    I agree with the "too many forums" thing.

But, there's a reason.

When the forums were split, the powers that be noticed that, with so many posters and so many new threads, unless a thread was getting constant replies, it was almost instantly gone from the first page of the forum on which it was popsted.

So, I'm not sure whta the answer is here, since there ARE too many forums, but without them, it would be hard to keep track of what's going on...

SPP
    Rigid.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    There is a SS forum? Wow. Now i am happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I agree with the "too many forums" thing.

But, there's a reason.

When the forums were split, the powers that be noticed that, with so many posters and so many new threads, unless a thread was getting constant replies, it was almost instantly gone from the first page of the forum on which it was popsted.

So, I'm not sure whta the answer is here, since there ARE too many forums, but without them, it would be hard to keep track of what's going on...

SPP
    Probably the most sensible explanation of the many forums on here. Still think they could be condensed and, if a member posts in the "wrong" one, as long as it is related, it could easily be let go. @TR : I took your advice and checked out beginners corner. I haven't yet posted my question but, I immediately found the quote below. One members post was dead on in that this is probably good for all to read...not just "noobs" as the title suggests. Thanks for the advice though. I'll do my best to post in proper forums especially since the last response on here (quoted above) makes perfect sense to me.

If you think your bike looks good, it does.

If you like the way your bike rides, it’s an awesome bike.

You don’t need to spend a million dollars to have a great bike, but if you do spend a million dollars and know what you want you’ll probably also have a great bike.

Yes, you can tour on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can race on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can commute on your bike – whatever it is.

26” wheels or 29” or 650b or 700c or 24” or 20” or whatever – yes, that wheel size is rad and you’ll probably get where you’re going.

Disc brakes, cantis, v-brakes, and road calipers all do a great job of stopping a bike when they’re working and adjusted.

No paint job makes everyone happy.

Yes, you can put a rack on that. Get some p-clamps if there are no mounts.

Steel is a great material for making bike frames - so is aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium.

You can have your saddle at whatever angle makes you happy.

Your handlebars can be lower than your saddle, even with your saddle, or higher than your saddle. Whichever way you like it is right.

Being shuttled up a downhill run does not make you a weak person, nor does choosing not to fly off of a 10 foot drop.

Bike frames made overseas can be super cool. Bike frames made in the USA can be super cool.

Hey, tattooed and pierced long shorts wearin flat brim hat red bull drinkin white Oakley sportin rad person on your full suspension big hit bike – nice work out there.

Hey, little round glasses pocket protector collared shirt skid lid rear view mirror sandal wearing schwalbe marathon running pletscher two-leg kickstand tourist – good job.

Hey, shaved leg skinny as hell super duper tan line hear rate monitor checking power tap train in the basement all winter super loud lycra kit million dollar wheels racer – keep it up.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

The following short answers are good answers, but not the only ones for the question asked – 29”, Brooks, lugged, disc brake, steel, Campagnolo, helmet, custom, Rohloff, NJS, carbon, 31.8, clipless, porteur.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Sometimes, recumbent bikes are ok.

Your bikeshop is not trying to screw you. They’re trying to stay open.

Buying things off of the internet is great, except when it sucks.

Some people know more about bikes than you do. Other people know less.

Maybe the person you waved at while you were out riding didn’t see you wave at them.

It sucks to be harassed by *******s in cars while you’re on a bike. It also sucks to drive behind *******s on bikes.

Did you build that yourself? Awesome. Did you buy that? Cool.

Wheelies are the best trick ever invented. That’s just a fact.

Which is better, riding long miles, or hanging out under a bridge doing tricks? Yes.

Yes, you can break your collar bone riding a bike like that.

Stopping at stop signs is probably a good idea.

Driving with your bikes on top of your car to get to a dirt trail isn’t ideal, but for most people it’s necessary.

If your bike has couplers, or if you have a spendy bike case, or if you pay a shop to pack your bike, or if you have a folding bike, shipping a bike is still a pain in the ass for everyone involved.

That dent in your frame is probably ok, but maybe it’s not. You should get it looked at.

Touch up paint always looks like ****. Often it looks worse than the scratch.

A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

A bike that’s been chained to the same tree for three years caked with rust and missing parts makes me sad too.

Bikes purchased at Wal-mart, Target, Costco, or K-mart are generally not the best bang for your buck.

Toe overlap is not the end of the world, unless you crash and die – then it is.

Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Yes, you can buy a bike without riding it first. It would be nice to ride it first, but it’s not a deal breaker not to.

Ownership of a truing stand does not a wheel builder make.

32 spokes, 48 spokes, 24 spokes, three spokes? Sure.

Single speed bikes are rad. Bikes with derailleurs and cassettes are sexy. Belt drive internal gear bikes work great too.

Columbus, TruTemper, Reynolds, Ishiwata, or no brand? I’d ride it.

Tubeless tires are pretty cool. So are tubes.

The moral of RAGBRAI is that families and drunken boobs can have fun on the same route, just maybe at different times of day.

Riding by yourself kicks ass. You might also try riding with a group.

Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else.

Stopping can be as much fun as riding.

Lots of people worked their asses off to build whatever you’re riding on. You should thank them.

father, mountain biker
    Wow, seems like that about covers it! Now we can all crawl out of our basements and spend some quality time on our bikes and with our families.
    "He seems quite arrogant and ignores quite some valid points." -Millfox
    "I don't like you" -ne_dan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast