Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ridin' Furry
    where can i ask for advice on upgrading my 26ers frame? and seat and spokes n stuff

~Reformed Mechanic~
    and where do the "26er vs 29er" threads go? Cause we need more of them.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

Ridin' Furry
    All in for a 26er and 26er vs 29er sub forum!

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Nooooooo I wasn't serious!
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

I Ride Bikes

how much lift?

how much lift do I need to fit 33" tires?

oh wait...wrong website...

what a joke
    Does my butt look big on this 29er?

If so, what parts should I change?
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ozlongboarder View Post
    Does my butt look big on this 29er?
    Seriously: If the observer is used to 26" wheels, any butt looks smaller with a 29er wheel under it. It's what lots of women pay the price of toe overlap and their bars way above their saddle for!

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    There is a whole forum devoted to questions about wheels, tyres, handlebars etc for 29ers.
    It is called the 29er COMPONENTS forum.
    On top of that there are additional forums devoted to general questions regarding brakes, suspension etc.
    Why is it so hard for people to grasp this concept rather than posting them in the 29er BIKE forum.

Whoa.....whoa......whoa!!!!! There ya go thinking all logically.....don't ya know that is not what these forums are for.

And if they are asking what 29er specific saddle/grips/seatpost/pedals to put on their 29er in te 29er Components Forum, instead of General.....they need more help than any of us could offer.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That would be about as useful as writing my post down on a piece of paper and then throwing it into a fire.
    Yeah, that is how a lot of people feel about posting their questions in low traffic forums. IMHO, these forums are more than just a place to get questions answered or help others with their questions, it is a community of riders.

If I'm in a virtual bike building with a bunch of rooms and I want an answer from the largest pool possible of knowledgable riders, I'm probably not going to find that by going to the small room in the building where the only other people that are there are also wondering about the same 29er specific brake lever that I'm wondering about. (an exageration, but the point is valid). I'd rather go to the large room full of people that hang out there because it is a community. Then if they get a minute they can graciously share their knowledge and answer my question, and I can do the same for others because we're already there enjoying ourselves.

I don't hang out in these smaller forums and therefor tend not to help with what little knowledge I might have to offer in those forums. The main 29er forum is filled with some seriously funny people, as well as a few tools and the intermingling of the two can be hilarious. My wife thinks I'm crazy but its better than most crap on Tv. I consider it both enlightening and entertaining. That 'Fo' guy, love him or hate him the dude is funny.

This seems pretty obvious to me and this is the very reason I voted for not splitting the 29er forum at all. Early adopters of 29ers (a group I do not count myself a member of, though I've been sold on them since 2007), needed a place to support the idea of this new wheel size long before there was anything like the current market place for them. That is when this forum grew together as a community and why I think the forum is/was unique. Maybe now that 29ers are not in 'fad' stage anymore its not justifiable as a community, and the splitting of the forum seems to reflect that. I however don't agree with that and I've no problem keeping it the way it was, but I digress.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm beyond baffled that someone cares. I wish I had time to get upset about forums.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The OP will probably be so pissy that you all hijacked his thread by responding in it - it is her thread after all.

Why isn't there a delete function for OP's to delete all other user posts from their threads so only their ideas/thoughts/delusional ramblings count?

I have a self impsoed rule of not posting more than 10 times on any single forum, and I just wasted my ninth post on this, and it doesnt have anything to do with 29er's so I shouldn't have even wasted it in a thread that's in the wrong forum gathering too much attention?!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    The OP will probably be so pissy that you all hijacked his thread by responding in it - it is her thread after all.

Why isn't there a delete function for OP's to delete all other user posts from their threads so only their ideas/thoughts/delusional ramblings count?

I have a self impsoed rule of not posting more than 10 times on any single forum, and I just wasted my ninth post on this, and it doesnt have anything to do with 29er's so I shouldn't have even wasted it in a thread that's in the wrong forum gathering too much attention?!
    Oh yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking.....NOT.
    Somebody thought this was "important" enough to make it a sticky.
    I am surprised by how many people simply dont give a f@ck what is posted where.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    [QUOTE=SlowPokePete;9515860]I
    ....But I think people also know that it is the 29er forum(s) that get the most traffic ... therefore, if someone actually wants a response to their question, or an opinion, , their tendency is to post in the 29er or 29er Component forums...

SPP[/QUOTE

You hit the nail on the head. The problem with so many niche forums is that they don't all receive the same amount of traffic. The general category forums get lots of traffic and the niche forums are neglected. I have posted things in a specific forum in the past and received minimal views and responses. When I post in the high volume forums I receive numerous views and helpful (sometimes) responses.

By the way, why do we need a separate forum for 29er bikes and 29er components? It is hard to discuss a bike without talking about components.

mtbr member
    Just my 2 cents worth... 29er Fork related should go in suspension forums, and 29er wheel related should go in wheels, so why have a 29er components forum in the first place? If it is so important to move fork and wheel questions out of the 29er Bike forum, then so be it, but to me those are the only 29er specific parts, and don't really warrant a forum of their own in the first place. I agree with sub-forums, but I think having too many dilutes the usefulness of the site.

I am OK if you don't agree with me, because I understand that the world doesn't resolve around what I want.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Somebody thought this was "important" enough to make it a sticky.
    Exactly what I thought.

Who gets to make the decision to "sticky" something?

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Who gets to make the decision to "sticky" something?
    Who cares? I guess the topic title is probably one of the most explicit ways to get users to post stuff in the right forum corner. What's in this topic is kind of irrelevant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    Who cares? I guess the topic title is probably one of the most explicit ways to get users to post stuff in the right forum corner. What's in this topic is kind of irrelevant.
    I'm just curious, that's all

And you are absolutely right with your second statement

SPP
    Rigid.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I'm just curious, that's all

And you are absolutely right with your second statement

SPP
    I thought that only Mods and Admin can sticky.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I thought being an Aussie you'd get a bit of wry feedback, but obviously not.
    What I was getting at was you have control over what you post, not what anyone else posts, or where they choose to post it. It's a public forum, otherwise known as a cyber asylum. Go with the flow or roll with the punches.

I think your application to be a mod for the 29er bike and component forums is being processed, let that be your torture mate

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by eastie View Post
    I thought being an Aussie you'd get a bit of wry feedback, but obviously not.
    What I was getting at was you have control over what you post, not what anyone else posts, or where they choose to post it. It's a public forum, otherwise known as a cyber asylum. Go with the flow or roll with the punches.

I think your application to be a mod for the 29er bike and component forums is being processed, let that be your torture mate
    Awesome, you now have your 10 posts.

mtbr member
    Same as trying to herd cats.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Bascule
    There is strong sense of community among 29er riders - it's a function of a number of things, including the relative numbers of 26er vs 29ers, the fact that many riders are enthusiasts, and that purchasing a 29er is still something of a maverick decision. I'd take an educated guess that people who identify themselves as 29er riders as opposed to just MTBers gravitate towards the 29er-specific forums as it feeds their sense of belonging and community.

I think the problem is the huge, confusing overlap between '29er bikes' and '29er components'. The easiest way to remove the confusion is collapse these two forums back into one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bascule View Post
    ...and that purchasing a 29er is still something of a maverick decision.
    Haw haw! That's a good one!!

I went into Fred Meyer the other day and saw a BSO that had stickers all over it stating it was a twenty-niner. Glad to see that a major retailer is also a maverick.

Re-reading this, I guess that the haw haw statement should not have been included in this reply. Crap. Oh well.

Bascule
    Quote Originally Posted by rotten1 View Post
    Haw haw! That's a good one!!

I went into Fred Meyer the other day and saw a BSO that had stickers all over it stating it was a twenty-niner. Glad to see that a major retailer is also a maverick.

Re-reading this, I guess that the haw haw statement should not have been included in this reply. Crap. Oh well.
    Um, not sure what a Fred Meyer or a BSO is, but...

Until 29er's outweigh 26ers on the shop floor, it will be something of a maverick decision - major retailer or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bascule View Post
    Um, not sure what a Fred Meyer or a BSO is, but...

Until 29er's outweigh 26ers on the shop floor, it will be something of a maverick decision - major retailer or not.
    Fred Meyer is a major retailer, sells food, clothes, souls, etc.
    And a BSO is a bicycle shaped object, a piece of junk sold next to, well, whatever else they sell, and looks and rides remotely like a bicycle.
    In my best of days, I certainly wouldn't call that an of road bicycle, let alone a bicycle, but it has graphics all over it showing it's a twenty-niner.
    Maverick ALL over it.
    Went to the LBS - local bike shop - Sunday and the 29'ers outnumber the 26'ers 3 to 1. Wait, I am making things up now like you are. 2 to 1. Twenty niners are common place now, there is nothing maverick about a bike with big wheels now, and would make an educated guess that any company that doesn't have at least one big wheeler in their line-up isn't selling as well. They are all over the place. Saw a bum riding one yesterday - now, he may have been a maverick.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast