Thread: Walmart bikes.

MaverickMotoMedia.com

Walmart bikes.

Let's say a group of people join the forum and begin posting about their super sweet, rad $225 Walmart bikes. How do you respond to them?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Same way you would on the trail/road, you pass them on by. Gestures, slurs, and other remarks are your personal choice.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    More kindly than people who feel the need to mock others because they didn't spend what you deem as enough on their bikes.

AZ
    banned

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Hard to say without knowing the person's experience level, obviously purchasing a Walmart bike either states, 1) they are poor, 2) don't know any better, or 3) both. I used to be one of those way back 8 years ago when I didn't know there were bikes other than what you got at Walmart. Only when I separated my shoulder riding that Walmart bike on a paved trail and slid out with 8 weeks both being injured and the bike being trashed (both wheels tacoed and fork bent), did I go on the internet and realize that those bikes were crap.

It was very hard to spend $360 on a new Specialized Hardrock (back in 2006) and after I bought it and had to go through months of my wife nagging me about why I spent that much and not went to Walmart and bought another $99 bike...But now I know the value of a good bike.

If the user is new into riding, I would guess maybe they are trying to see if they like the sport or not - they may not like it much riding a 46lb one size fits almost nobody bike very much - hard to warrant buying a $500 - $1000 bike only to find out mountain biking isn't your thing and the bike just hangs in the garage gathering dust.

I wouldn't put them down for buying a Walmart bike, a lot of us grew up with department store bikes while we were kids, myself included. I would kindly advise them if they find they really enjoy the sport that they should strongly consider a real mountain bike and we as a MTB community should step up to help steer said riders to the appropriate bike if the user asks for help with that.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You can always find a sub-group that will start a flame war. You could post that you like oxygen and someone would flame you for being an elitist who overlooks the benefits of nitrogen...which by the way is more prevalent in our atmosphere.

Ride what you like. I bet there is no shortage of people on this site who could flat kick my ass while riding a WalMart bike. I'd bet there's a few who might do it on a unicycle.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    I like how it says 26" is "the standard mountain bike size" It made me giggle.

To respond to the OP's question. As long as somebody is enjoying the ride it doesn't matter how much their ride cost. Don't get me wrong I feel for them because there is no substitute for great equipment, and I think it makes the ride better or more fun.
    Gary Fisher Rig SS
    Santa Cruz Solo

A gear-curious singlespeeder

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Let's say a group of people join the forum and begin posting about their super sweet, rad $225 Walmart bikes. How do you respond to them?

You mean like the Sledgehammer? That would be freaking awesome!

napolean dynamite photo Napoleon-Dynamite-GIF-Going-off-ramp-of-the-sledgehammer.gif

AZ
    banned
    There is a niche for all of us and you usually cannot talk someone out of a predetermined trajectory, they have to find things out through the process of discovery.

mtbr member

Walmart bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't do it
    I just leave them alone.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

I like pie.
    As I peruse the various threads on this fine site, I occasionally find threads that interest me and I will post. Give advice or opinion.

A thread on the higher end offerings of Wal-Mart is not one of them. I would smile that someone has discovered our sport and is enjoying it. Far be it from me to tell said person their bike is a POS.

mtbr member
    i started on one (had it lying around), broke it within a couple rides and bought a lower level bike shop bike that lasted much longer. i usually try to be helpful (if asked) but if unprovoked, i don't see any reason why i should involve myself with someone else's less than brilliant choices. just hope no one gets hurt form huckin' on a "next" frame and using their stem like a dental tool

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Reminds me of the Harley vs. Metric bike debate.
    Don't snub me because I ride a Harley and I won't snub you because you don't.
    I checked out the BigBoxBike site. I admire their frugality and rattle bomb skills. I hope I only have to go that route again because I want a new hobby, not out of necessity.
    That said, my new bike is pretty dang nice. And no, you can't ride it. ha ha

Nice day for a ride.....
    Everyone has to start somewhere. I had a Triumph Sahara from Walmart (or some other department store) that my parents bought for me as a 12th birthday gift. It was the bike that got me into the sport, many years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just have to tell them that the bikes are slow. I commute on a mountain bike, as well as trail ride, and if somebody is on a Wal-Mart pos I fly by them, regardless of the shape they are in. The bikes are slow, and they really don't work. The $225 model at Wal-Mart may slightly work, but anything under $200 is just to look at or ride around the block a few times.. Maybe for a 14 year old who is going to ride around the hood for one year until his buddies drive or something. Idk.

Trail Connoisseur
    I would warn them that some of those bikes aren't actually made for off road use, hope they use it off road injury free and learn to love mountain biking.

Ride Instigator
    I would commend them for being the bottom feeders of the bike world.

mtbr member
    It may not be our job or even our responsibility to be advocates and representatives of the sport. But it can be an opportunity. If I meet a guy who is considering buying a Walmart bike, I'll ask a couple questions to see if it might make sense to spend a couple bucks more for a bike from a shop. If it's all he can afford, I might suggest looking at used. If he owns the bike, the story's completely different. Congratulate him on the bike, suggest ways to enjoy the sport, e.g. trails, rides, skills classes, etc.

One of the trails I ride sees hundreds of riders every weekend - from kids on 12" wheels, to Cat-1 XC racer. Gotta say, I laugh more at the guy lugging a 40lb $4,000 downhill bike around an XC trail, than the guy on a $200 Wally bike.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I love seeing the same troll user accounts that seem to gravitate towards Walmart Fat bike threads to crap on them. Shame I can't leave them more negative rep so soon.

Can you self entitled know-it-alls really give it a rest.

Noone really cares, do you think your doing the world a service by commenting in EVERY-SINGLE Walmart related thread to **** on others and their bikes?

This thread is obviously an attempt(a sorry ass weak one at that) at trying to start some sort of argument over one's perceived bike quality, by someone who hasn't even seen the bike in question.

Seriously, get a life. This forum isn't your personal soap box, and not everyone holds the same opinions as you do, don't preach on like only your opinion counts and that everyone else is wrong.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Walmart bikes.

I have a little rule. Any bike someone already owns is cool. And I think a lot of us got into the sport on equipment we wouldn't choose or recommend now. It's easy to overemphasize the gear, especially as one begins to discover how the high-end equipment rides. But we were all having fun on our old, crappy bikes too, or none of us would have stuck with it and bought our nice bikes.

Now if someone asks about throwing parts at a Walmart bike, I'll advocate just buying a nice old Fisher or something. Same with buying a new one. (Or really, most bikes with a retail under $1300 or so.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member

Re: Walmart bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I have a little rule. Any bike someone already owns is cool. And I think a lot of us got into the sport on equipment we wouldn't choose or recommend now. It's easy to overemphasize the gear, especially as one begins to discover how the high-end equipment rides. But we were all having fun on our old, crappy bikes too, or none of us would have stuck with it and bought our nice bikes.

Now if someone asks about throwing parts at a Walmart bike, I'll advocate just buying a nice old Fisher or something. Same with buying a new one. (Or really, most bikes with a retail under $1300 or so.)
    How do I add rep from Tapatalk?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Fat-tired Roadie
    Aww, shucks.

I don't think you can. At least, I haven't figured it out either.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I just switched to browser Lol. But no that was right on, in my opinion. A rule that helps you avoid being a d*ck and still help people out a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Unlike Mantrain, I will refuse to belittle the department store shopper.

The main issue I see with these heavy, cheap bikes is the integrity of the assemblage. Therein lie the inherent safety concerns resulting from the general Walmart employee who is charged with putting together boxes of bikes with a pipe wrench.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...