Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Upset Wal-Mart is killing the sport.

I was recently shopping at Wal-Mart (hey, they sell Cliff Bloks) and watched as an obviously low income family purchased their son's first mountain bike. The bike of choice this day was a 45# NEXT FSR tank. You've all seen the bike in it's natural habitat...being pushed up urban streets on anything more than 1% grade. Now I'm all about less government but sometimes you have to protect the consumer from his own ignorance. If anything, Wal-Mart should be sued for taking advantage of a protected class-the poor cyclist. Shame on you Sam!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    I was recently shopping at Wal-Mart (hey, they sell Cliff Bloks) and watched as an obviously low income family purchased their son's first mountain bike. The bike of choice this day was a 45# NEXT FSR tank. You've all seen the bike in it's natural habitat...being pushed up urban streets on anything more than 1% grade. Now I'm all about less government but sometimes you have to protect the consumer from his own ignorance. If anything, Wal-Mart should be sued for taking advantage of a protected class-the poor cyclist. Shame on you Sam!
    When you are ignorant you don't know any better. You can't blame it on Wal-Mart. People shop there because they WANT TO spend money but they dont want to spend that much... How do you provide consumer protection when it is the consumers own fault?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Plus for the price you aren't going to really get anything much better. Kids don't like old rusted bikes. They like new shiny ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My first "Mountain BIke" was a $200 Motiv from Costco. Every time I took it out I broke something. I spent money on wheels and other parts, after a few months I broke the frame and trashed it.

On one hand it was a rip off because it was nothing near a MT bike, but on the other hand it was enough to have me hooked for life and wanting a better bike.

I never would have spent the money on a real bike not knowing anything about the sport. If it wasn't for that POS bike I wouldn't be here or on any trail.

But I do agree, they are tanks and I hate seeing kids struggle with them. Really love the "full suspension" 20 inchers that weigh 50 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What comes next? Where do you draw the line? Banning cellphones because they they are dangerous and emit microwaves?

If you can make a good NEW bike for $150 or less that will be used on the street 99% of the time, then DO IT and stop *****ing here.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see decent bikes in everyone's hands, but to me, because something LOOKS like it's used for something does not mean it it is. I've seen this in other industries. People think that all AK47s or AR15s shoot fully automatic. People think that all trucks can go off road and all 2 door cars are sports cars.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz View Post
    What comes next? Where do you draw the line? Banning cellphones because they they are dangerous and emit microwaves?

If you can make a good NEW bike for $150 or less that will be used on the street 99% of the time, then DO IT and stop *****ing here.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see decent bikes in everyone's hands, but to me, because something LOOKS like it's used for something does not mean it it is. I've seen this in other industries. People think that all AK47s or AR15s shoot fully automatic. People think that all trucks can go off road and all 2 door cars are sports cars.
    When I use to work as a Sandwich artist for Subway several years ago I was taught that it wasn't how the sub tasted but how it looked that mattered. We were told that 90% of the taste comes from how it looks...90%! It's sad but that is how our society functions. We are exposed to so many commercials! That is why someone will pay $900 for a Rockhopper with poor components. The paint scheme looks good so it must be good, right?

mtbr member
    Why do some people want to always get into other peoples business? If anything they should ban cliff bars because they taste disgusting, they're full of preservatives and they're gay. Eat an apple. Wait, we should ban apples because of pesticides, evil corporate profits and they're sold at walmart. Eat an organically grown apple that only comes from a communal farm populated by indigenous peoples less than 50 miles away that truck their fruit to market on bicycles and priuses. Where does this end?

Lets ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So I suppose the parents should have bought the kid a brand new Trek at the value of "an entire month's salary?" Trust me, I don't think Walmart is trying to corner the mountain bike industry rather than the selling goods for cheaper industry.

Plan #123-D
    So chocolate chip Cliff Bars have sex with other chocolate chip Cliff Bars? Is that what you mean? What if it was just a one time experiment? Is the Cliff Bar still gay? Or just curious? I'm trying to understand!
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

Plan #123-D
    I thought my cranberry Cliff Bar tasted a little fruity!
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    It's called 'entry level.' It differs just as much as economic status. The question that begs to be asked: What were you doing in such a lowly place, Rockerfeller?

mtbr member
    I agree, an "obviously low income family" should have been at the LBS spending $500 on a bike the kid will destroy or out-grow in less than a year.
    What is this world coming to? Don't they know they could just put it on a credit card?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    When I use to work as a Sandwich artist for Subway several years ago I was taught that it wasn't how the sub tasted but how it looked that mattered. We were told that 90% of the taste comes from how it looks...90%! It's sad but that is how our society functions. We are exposed to so many commercials! That is why someone will pay $900 for a Rockhopper with poor components. The paint scheme looks good so it must be good, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    My concern when I look at Wally, K Mart, Target etc is how they are assembled. Target says on the tag, Roll out the door, Ready to ride. No their not.

I looked at one the other day that may have been able to stop on a 1% grade but not much more. People who don't know could get hurt based on the way the kid in the back put the bike together. As lawsuit crazy as we are it shocks me to see these.

I'm a Clyde and got several years out of my K Mart Huffy before I went to a LBS. I'll never go back but now I can afford not to.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Punishment View Post
    Why do some people want to always get into other peoples business? If anything they should ban cliff bars because they taste disgusting, they're full of preservatives and they're gay. Eat an apple. Wait, we should ban apples because of pesticides, evil corporate profits and they're sold at walmart. Eat an organically grown apple that only comes from a communal farm populated by indigenous peoples less than 50 miles away that truck their fruit to market on bicycles and priuses. Where does this end?

Lets ride!
    WIN

mtbr member
    Parents buying their son a bike? The nerve of some people..............

And judgmental enough to say they were low income just from looking at a distance

I happen to know a very wealthy man who I've seen shopping wearing jean cutoff shorts and a ratty looking tank top. Would people like the OP assume he's low income. Yep, but they'd be very wrong.

Get off your high horse and ride a bike

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    What sport are they killing ? Riding across town to try to get to 3rd base with little Mary Rottencrotch ? Getting to football practice ? I'm confused... I've never seen a NEXT anywhere near a trail.

High Desert MTBer
    Jeez! Do I have to go to Walmart to find some of them "gay" Cliff bars? I haven't seen them anywhere else... Is that second 'f' like a regular Clif bars' back pocket handkerchief?

AZ
    banned
    I was recently shopping at Wal-Mart

Makes you part of the problem me thinks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyMCP View Post
    Plus for the price you aren't going to really get anything much better. Kids don't like old rusted bikes. They like new shiny ones.
    With their buying power, Wal-Mart could sell a decent hardtail bike for $300. I put Next bikes in the same category as those snowboards with flexible plastic straps. They shouldn't even be sold. I always tell people in Wal-Mart to buy a good used bike on Craigslist instead. For example, I bought a 24# Stumpjumper with XTR for $200.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Makes you part of the problem me thinks.
    Or makes him "low income".

Who the hell goes to wal mart anyway when you know all the milf hotties go to target ?

I swear my local one at lunch time on a weekday is like an adultery temptation oasis. Lots of tennis skirts and yoga pants.

official eMpTyBRain
    I feel pretty confident in saying that nobody here shops at Walmart for bike stuff or even acknowledges that they have a bicycle department...
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

workin' it Administrator
    If you don't believe in the business model don't support the business model, buy your nutrition from a reputable bike shop. Complaining about someone shopping at a store but prefacing that with "as I was shopping at this store" is hypocritical at the least and asinine at the most.

This thread is now going to the bin where it belongs.
    Try this: HTFU

Digital Toast
    you've never just pedaled around on a old beater as a kid? It's transportation, it's freedom. That kid is thrilled with his bike. Yes it won't hold up like a good brand name bike. However it'll get him where ever his legs can carry him. That isn't killing anything...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroack View Post
    you've never just pedaled around on a old beater as a kid? It's transportation, it's freedom. That kid is thrilled with his bike. Yes it won't hold up like a good brand name bike. However it'll get him where ever his legs can carry him. That isn't killing anything...
    Fair enough.

I worked all Summer for my first bike for less than minimum wage washing dishes in a restaurant. The bike was stolen the first week I had it. EVERY bike I had as a kid was stolen within a month. Most were taken from inside my house. I LOVED each one of those bikes, even if it was for a short time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast