Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Tweakers on the trail

Eh, did my daily lunch ride today (Rolla Lions Park, Rolla MO) and pretty quick into the trail scared a couple tweakers shooting up ride next to the trail...

Now, I'm not usually the first person to get pissed about this kind of thing, I've done my share of stuff in the past, and don't usually like to judge people... However, this is a very public trailhead, about a stones throw from the kids jungle gym. The whole trail wraps around the park and you're pretty well able to bail at any point right into the park.

I bailed off the trail and called the cops. They found them a short time later, and I assume they arrested them. I felt conflicted at first, but to be quite honest, if this stuff becomes common the MTB trails (on public property) will probably not exist.

If they had been smoking weed, I wouldn't have had another thought about it, but meth heads are bad news.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apart from any consideration as to whether people should be able to destroy themselves if they wish, there are risks beyond these two individuals.

The common practice of sharing needles spreads aids and hepatitis and is a risk to others if contracted by them.

Guys shooting up in the park are not likely supporting their habits with high paying honest work.

The possibility of them getting some kind of help is better than if they are left alone.

Those seem like good enough reasons to me for doing what you did.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mikeb
    methheads are bad aderegetchegn...they should all be melted, just like gollum at the pit of doom or whatever...

DynoDon
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    They might have had a reason to be there. Like maybe they were just getting ready to go hunt some wild animals, barehanded, and meth is their way of getting in the right mindset for such a task??? Just sayin'...

Seriously though, you did the right thing and that earns you 1 rep point.
    I support the right of all Americans to keep and arm bears.

Just Ride!
    I also have kid who goes to the park. I would have done the same thing and then some.

mtbr member
    I would hate to run over a used needle. It would suck if my bike got aids.

mikeb

mtbr member
    thats what I would have done also. +1 rep for you. Oh $h!t, I dont have any. Sorry.

Seriously though, doing that in a park area with kids, definately the right call.

mtbr member
    "I would hate to run over a used needle. It would suck if my bike got aids."

Don't worry about it, pleepleus, your bike wheel has rubber on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Good job

Meth is as white freaking trash as it gets.

Salsa Mukluk 3
    Aug 2011
    Good call EclipseRoadie; what they do in their own homes may be one thing, but when it's in the park in the middle of the day... they need to go. Period. As a neighbor a few counties to the south of you, I (hopefully) would have done the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good call. If people turn there heads then some kid could find the needle, etc.

+1 rep from me too

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rolla isn't even a city, or even near one. That is sad, very sad. Must be something about Missouri in general. I once stopped in a park in KC after doing work in an area some what close to downtown......picked up a bag lunch and went to go eat it in the park.......Turned out the park was nothing more than hookers turning tricks, men trying to pick up other men, and I'm sure full of the same meth thing. Before I opened my food, some guy tried to open the door of my car......got the hell out of there fast. Pershing park is the name and I think it represents a typical Midwestern city well. Politics and repressive cultures create weirdness like this in public places, unfortunately.

Not trying to flame, but sheesh....taxes for police can be a good thing.

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Rolla isn't even a city, or even near one. That is sad, very sad. Must be something about Missouri in general. I once stopped in a park in KC after doing work in an area some what close to downtown......picked up a bag lunch and went to go eat it in the park.......Turned out the park was nothing more than hookers turning tricks, men trying to pick up other men, and I'm sure full of the same meth thing. Before I opened my food, some guy tried to open the door of my car......got the hell out of there fast. Pershing park is the name and I think it represents a typical Midwestern city well. Politics and repressive cultures create weirdness like this in public places, unfortunately.
    i am originally from south central ohio...oxycontin is a BIG problem there now...as is meth...

chillicothe ohio, population under 25,000...

sad...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    i am originally from south central ohio...oxycontin is a BIG problem there now...as is meth...

chillicothe ohio, population under 25,000...

sad...
    The forums limit conversation, so I do not want to appear judgmental. A buddy of mine here in Durango is a deputy Sherriff and he complains all the time about meth heads. It's everywhere. So I should not have picked on Missouri.

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    The forums limit conversation, so I do not want to appear judgmental. A buddy of mine here in Durango is a deputy Sherriff and he complains all the time about meth heads. It's everywhere. So I should not have picked on Missouri.
    oh, timo, i understand. you were not picking on missouri; places like small-medium town missouri, ohio, iowa and even not-so-populated parts california used to not have serious meth and pill problems.

the last time i was in chillicothe, it seemed as if people are broke, bored out their minds and angry...and some of the kids seemed to be well, a little more bonkers than i remember...

you didn't appear judgmental to me at all...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    I think i would be more worried about crashing and getting stuck with a needle

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Man things must be going downhill in the old home town (Rolla class of 89).

High Desert MTBer
    I thought about this for a bit and even tho I hate to shop anyone unless it is a crime against the person, and, like you, I have done my share in the dim and distant past. I gotta give it to you tho, cos they are endangering kids around there, if indeed there are any that go to the park any more.
    I do think that if it was not for this proximity and potential harm to kids, I would leave well alone. I feel it is not for me to be the judge of what I feel is best for someone like that, much as I do not agree with what they are doing. There, but for someone's grace, go you or I...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I thought about this for a bit and even tho I hate to shop anyone unless it is a crime against the person, and, like you, I have done my share in the dim and distant past. I gotta give it to you tho, cos they are endangering kids around there, if indeed there are any that go to the park any more.
    I do think that if it was not for this proximity and potential harm to kids, I would leave well alone. I feel it is not for me to be the judge of what I feel is best for someone like that, much as I do not agree with what they are doing. There, but for someone's grace, go you or I...
    I was REALLY conflicted for a few strange seconds, until I thought "Hey, my daughter plays at this ****** playground." If it was just out in the woods somewhere, probably a different story.

Rolla isn't a big town, but it's got a bad meth problem (like most of missouri).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    You get cool points for knowing what a pleepleus is.

mtbr member
    I'm a fairly empathetic person. That said, the vast majority of those people will NEVER be contributing members of society on any level. Most of the drug propaganda that focuses on related crime is bs. When you're talking about meth it's 100% true. Those people are sketchy, crazy thieves and scam artists. They screw any and everyone. The world is better without them. As the son of a psychologist I believe that the disease model is bs too. I have personally quit using drugs myself and I promise all it takes is some gd willpower. It's as simple as that. If you want it to last you have to have your own willpower. Diseases are not cured by willpower. Diseases are functional deficits that take a medical cure. Tough love is the best possible solution.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    I'm a fairly empathetic person. That said, the vast majority of those people will NEVER be contributing members of society on any level. Most of the drug propaganda that focuses on related crime is bs. When you're talking about meth it's 100% true. Those people are sketchy, crazy thieves and scam artists. They screw any and everyone. The world is better without them. As the son of a psychologist I believe that the disease model is bs too. I have personally quit using drugs myself and I promise all it takes is some gd willpower. It's as simple as that. If you want it to last you have to have your own willpower. Diseases are not cured by willpower. Diseases are functional deficits that take a medical cure. Tough love is the best possible solution.
    There's a lot in this post that I think is perhaps a little harsh and misguided. I do not want to turn this thread into another bin-bound slag-fest, but by writing these people off as never going to be contributing members of society is not giving them a chance to be so. The fact is, the problem is there, and I would hazard a guess that these problems are greatly a result of all the usual things that cause these problems: boredom, unemployment, dissatisfaction, free access to the drugs, hugely addictive properties of the drugs and the swift and terrible physical degeneration caused by them. This is unlike alcohol, which is just as dangerous and destructive, but takes longer to work its 'magic'.
    When you say that the "world would be better without them", what do you mean exactly? Should we toss 'em off a cliff or try and 'tough love' them to just go away? What do you suggest? Throwing them in jail is not a very good answer in my opinion, and it still costs the taxpayer money. Much better in my mind to spend the money on treating the disease, and trying to make them productive members of society again.
    You and I are/were blessed with the ability to use our 'willpower' to get us off whatever it was we were doing. I do not know about you and how much you were into whatever it was, but it is pretty much generally recognised in the medical community that addiction IS a disease, whatever your interpretation might be of one of those. Willpower might get us off the drug, but does not necessarily relieve the addictions. There are many causes for those, and there is plenty of literature out there if anyone is interested in educating themselves on causes and treatments.
    The fact remains, these people in the post did pose a danger to others by their choice of location for indulging their habit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    tweakers are in every state of the union. Idaho has its fair share.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast