Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Tweakers on the trail

Eh, did my daily lunch ride today (Rolla Lions Park, Rolla MO) and pretty quick into the trail scared a couple tweakers shooting up ride next to the trail...

Now, I'm not usually the first person to get pissed about this kind of thing, I've done my share of stuff in the past, and don't usually like to judge people... However, this is a very public trailhead, about a stones throw from the kids jungle gym. The whole trail wraps around the park and you're pretty well able to bail at any point right into the park.

I bailed off the trail and called the cops. They found them a short time later, and I assume they arrested them. I felt conflicted at first, but to be quite honest, if this stuff becomes common the MTB trails (on public property) will probably not exist.

If they had been smoking weed, I wouldn't have had another thought about it, but meth heads are bad news.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apart from any consideration as to whether people should be able to destroy themselves if they wish, there are risks beyond these two individuals.

The common practice of sharing needles spreads aids and hepatitis and is a risk to others if contracted by them.

Guys shooting up in the park are not likely supporting their habits with high paying honest work.

The possibility of them getting some kind of help is better than if they are left alone.

Those seem like good enough reasons to me for doing what you did.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mikeb
    methheads are bad aderegetchegn...they should all be melted, just like gollum at the pit of doom or whatever...

DynoDon
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

mtbr member
    They might have had a reason to be there. Like maybe they were just getting ready to go hunt some wild animals, barehanded, and meth is their way of getting in the right mindset for such a task??? Just sayin'...

Seriously though, you did the right thing and that earns you 1 rep point.
    I support the right of all Americans to keep and arm bears.

Just Ride!
    I also have kid who goes to the park. I would have done the same thing and then some.

mtbr member
    I would hate to run over a used needle. It would suck if my bike got aids.

mikeb
    <iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lrWD1kVi0ME?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    thats what I would have done also. +1 rep for you. Oh $h!t, I dont have any. Sorry.

Seriously though, doing that in a park area with kids, definately the right call.

mtbr member
    "I would hate to run over a used needle. It would suck if my bike got aids."

Don't worry about it, pleepleus, your bike wheel has rubber on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Good job

Meth is as white freaking trash as it gets.

Salsa Mukluk 3
    Aug 2011
    Good call EclipseRoadie; what they do in their own homes may be one thing, but when it's in the park in the middle of the day... they need to go. Period. As a neighbor a few counties to the south of you, I (hopefully) would have done the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good call. If people turn there heads then some kid could find the needle, etc.

+1 rep from me too

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rolla isn't even a city, or even near one. That is sad, very sad. Must be something about Missouri in general. I once stopped in a park in KC after doing work in an area some what close to downtown......picked up a bag lunch and went to go eat it in the park.......Turned out the park was nothing more than hookers turning tricks, men trying to pick up other men, and I'm sure full of the same meth thing. Before I opened my food, some guy tried to open the door of my car......got the hell out of there fast. Pershing park is the name and I think it represents a typical Midwestern city well. Politics and repressive cultures create weirdness like this in public places, unfortunately.

Not trying to flame, but sheesh....taxes for police can be a good thing.

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    Rolla isn't even a city, or even near one. That is sad, very sad. Must be something about Missouri in general. I once stopped in a park in KC after doing work in an area some what close to downtown......picked up a bag lunch and went to go eat it in the park.......Turned out the park was nothing more than hookers turning tricks, men trying to pick up other men, and I'm sure full of the same meth thing. Before I opened my food, some guy tried to open the door of my car......got the hell out of there fast. Pershing park is the name and I think it represents a typical Midwestern city well. Politics and repressive cultures create weirdness like this in public places, unfortunately.
    i am originally from south central ohio...oxycontin is a BIG problem there now...as is meth...

chillicothe ohio, population under 25,000...

sad...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    i am originally from south central ohio...oxycontin is a BIG problem there now...as is meth...

chillicothe ohio, population under 25,000...

sad...
    The forums limit conversation, so I do not want to appear judgmental. A buddy of mine here in Durango is a deputy Sherriff and he complains all the time about meth heads. It's everywhere. So I should not have picked on Missouri.

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo View Post
    The forums limit conversation, so I do not want to appear judgmental. A buddy of mine here in Durango is a deputy Sherriff and he complains all the time about meth heads. It's everywhere. So I should not have picked on Missouri.
    oh, timo, i understand. you were not picking on missouri; places like small-medium town missouri, ohio, iowa and even not-so-populated parts california used to not have serious meth and pill problems.

the last time i was in chillicothe, it seemed as if people are broke, bored out their minds and angry...and some of the kids seemed to be well, a little more bonkers than i remember...

you didn't appear judgmental to me at all...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    I think i would be more worried about crashing and getting stuck with a needle

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Man things must be going downhill in the old home town (Rolla class of 89).

High Desert MTBer
    I thought about this for a bit and even tho I hate to shop anyone unless it is a crime against the person, and, like you, I have done my share in the dim and distant past. I gotta give it to you tho, cos they are endangering kids around there, if indeed there are any that go to the park any more.
    I do think that if it was not for this proximity and potential harm to kids, I would leave well alone. I feel it is not for me to be the judge of what I feel is best for someone like that, much as I do not agree with what they are doing. There, but for someone's grace, go you or I...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I thought about this for a bit and even tho I hate to shop anyone unless it is a crime against the person, and, like you, I have done my share in the dim and distant past. I gotta give it to you tho, cos they are endangering kids around there, if indeed there are any that go to the park any more.
    I do think that if it was not for this proximity and potential harm to kids, I would leave well alone. I feel it is not for me to be the judge of what I feel is best for someone like that, much as I do not agree with what they are doing. There, but for someone's grace, go you or I...
    I was REALLY conflicted for a few strange seconds, until I thought "Hey, my daughter plays at this ****** playground." If it was just out in the woods somewhere, probably a different story.

Rolla isn't a big town, but it's got a bad meth problem (like most of missouri).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You get cool points for knowing what a pleepleus is.

mtbr member
    I'm a fairly empathetic person. That said, the vast majority of those people will NEVER be contributing members of society on any level. Most of the drug propaganda that focuses on related crime is bs. When you're talking about meth it's 100% true. Those people are sketchy, crazy thieves and scam artists. They screw any and everyone. The world is better without them. As the son of a psychologist I believe that the disease model is bs too. I have personally quit using drugs myself and I promise all it takes is some gd willpower. It's as simple as that. If you want it to last you have to have your own willpower. Diseases are not cured by willpower. Diseases are functional deficits that take a medical cure. Tough love is the best possible solution.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    I'm a fairly empathetic person. That said, the vast majority of those people will NEVER be contributing members of society on any level. Most of the drug propaganda that focuses on related crime is bs. When you're talking about meth it's 100% true. Those people are sketchy, crazy thieves and scam artists. They screw any and everyone. The world is better without them. As the son of a psychologist I believe that the disease model is bs too. I have personally quit using drugs myself and I promise all it takes is some gd willpower. It's as simple as that. If you want it to last you have to have your own willpower. Diseases are not cured by willpower. Diseases are functional deficits that take a medical cure. Tough love is the best possible solution.
    There's a lot in this post that I think is perhaps a little harsh and misguided. I do not want to turn this thread into another bin-bound slag-fest, but by writing these people off as never going to be contributing members of society is not giving them a chance to be so. The fact is, the problem is there, and I would hazard a guess that these problems are greatly a result of all the usual things that cause these problems: boredom, unemployment, dissatisfaction, free access to the drugs, hugely addictive properties of the drugs and the swift and terrible physical degeneration caused by them. This is unlike alcohol, which is just as dangerous and destructive, but takes longer to work its 'magic'.
    When you say that the "world would be better without them", what do you mean exactly? Should we toss 'em off a cliff or try and 'tough love' them to just go away? What do you suggest? Throwing them in jail is not a very good answer in my opinion, and it still costs the taxpayer money. Much better in my mind to spend the money on treating the disease, and trying to make them productive members of society again.
    You and I are/were blessed with the ability to use our 'willpower' to get us off whatever it was we were doing. I do not know about you and how much you were into whatever it was, but it is pretty much generally recognised in the medical community that addiction IS a disease, whatever your interpretation might be of one of those. Willpower might get us off the drug, but does not necessarily relieve the addictions. There are many causes for those, and there is plenty of literature out there if anyone is interested in educating themselves on causes and treatments.
    The fact remains, these people in the post did pose a danger to others by their choice of location for indulging their habit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    tweakers are in every state of the union. Idaho has its fair share.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Forget about being conflicted. Living in a state that has 400% of the national average for on the job positive test results for meth (I shyte you not, heard that disturbing statistic about Hawaii yesterday on NPR), I wouldn't hesitate for a second in turning in a tweak head. Rep for your good samaritainism.

~Disc~Golf~
    I'm not a cop-caller by any stretch - 'crimes' against yourself should not be crimes.
    BUT, tweakers can fcuk off - any reason to put a tweaker behind bars is good enough for me - they are the dregs of the population.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    meth is such a horrible drug, that crap destroys the brain.....permanently makes people very aggressive and irrational.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    @ the guy comparing Meth to Alcohol....

Ok.... So how many folks do you know who casually use meth for all of thier adult lives and it is just peachy? To compare meth to alcohol is like comparing handgrenades to tactical nukes. Seriously.

The medical community see addiction as a disease so they can profit from its "treatment". Fact is we all make choices in our lives based on priorities and goals. Some make good choices, some make bad choices and a lot make about an even amount of both and muddle along.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    @ the guy comparing Meth to Alcohol....

Ok.... So how many folks do you know who casually use meth for all of thier adult lives and it is just peachy? To compare meth to alcohol is like comparing handgrenades to tactical nukes. Seriously.

The medical community see addiction as a disease so they can profit from its "treatment". Fact is we all make choices in our lives based on priorities and goals. Some make good choices, some make bad choices and a lot make about an even amount of both and muddle along.
    Perhaps I should have said alcohol "can be" just as dangerous and destructive as meth. Actually I do know a few people who have taken speed for many years, and while I wouldn't say they are just peachy, they function. Lemmy has been a friend of mine since 1975, for one. I know, or have known, many alcoholics who are not just peachily swanning through life, but have either died, or are close to death. Your analogy of a hand grenade versus a tactical nuke is correct to a point, they both can kill you if misused. I suspect that you consider heroin to be a destructive drug too? That can be taken all your life and still allow you to function, as many have shown. Most 'drugs' are similar inasmuch as they can become dangerous if misused or used to excess. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means condoning drug usage. Fact is they are out there, and pressures are great for people to use them. Meth is a particularly nasty example however.
    Your statement that addiction is seen by the medical community as a disease only so as to make a profit, is one of those sweeping and opinionated suppositions that has no basis in anything other than a stilted personal bias.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    ^^^^
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gjaCgF5MKDM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry, please continue...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Apart from any consideration as to whether people should be able to destroy themselves if they wish, there are risks beyond these two individuals.

The common practice of sharing needles spreads aids and hepatitis and is a risk to others if contracted by them.

Guys shooting up in the park are not likely supporting their habits with high paying honest work.

The possibility of them getting some kind of help is better than if they are left alone.

Those seem like good enough reasons to me for doing what you did.
    Funny, I got the following neg for this: "Oh just shut up. Everyone knows this, we don't need you posting it again."

Now, I'm not posting this to get make-up reps - if you're inclined, I appreciate the thought, but it's not necessary. Rather, I'd like to speak to whoever left it. Whoever you are, you probably have me confused with someone else, as I don't recall ever posting anything like this. Also, I'm just curious as to what about this you find offensive? I don't mind being disagreed with. If you're willing to say what you have to say openly, I promise not to neg you, I only leave positive reps - I don't believe in cheap shots.

mtbr member
    I got neg rep too. The comment said "Quite possibly the worst most un-funny post ever. Shut up." That person is probobly just mad because his/her mom is a HIV infected, heroin shooting junkie.

~Disc~Golf~
    neg-reppers who don't have the balls to leave their name are worse than tweakers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I suspect that you consider heroin to be a destructive drug too? That can be taken all your life and still allow you to function, as many have shown..
    All drugs effect different people in different ways, some tweekers have lived a completely normal life, same with herion and weed. Others have completely and totally screwed up their life by taking drugs. Hell, i have a coworked in a mental ward right now that tried (its some legal bath soap crap that is supposed to get you high ) and will probably never recover from it. Meth does have higher numbers of losers than weed, and can easily be said it is a more destructive drug.

mtbr member
    Ok, someone has to be the first to say it: I wouldn't have called the cops.

I would have told them to get the hell out of there, never come back, and that I am going to call them, but I wouldn't call.

Calling the cops could help those people, help the community etc. I understand all that, but I wouldn't do it, just like I wouldn't want anyone to see me walk out of a bar, assume I'm drunk, and call the cops "for my own good" or to help the community. I just don't think dropping the hammer on someone like that is my call to make.

A lot of good points in this thread though. Surprised to hear about the negative repping. Obviously, someone is a bit touchy about meth heads.

mtbr member
    I got neg rep too. The comment said "Quite possibly the worst most un-funny post ever. Shut up." That person is probobly just mad because his/her mom is a HIV infected, heroin shooting junkie.
    Sounds like we may have annoyed the same individual. Maybe he has a been-there-done-that story to tell. Come out, come out, mystery neg-giver. Maybe you've got something to say we should hear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post

I would have told them to get the hell out of there, never come back, and that I am going to call them, but I wouldn't call.

Calling the cops could help those people, help the community etc. I understand all that, but I wouldn't do it, just like I wouldn't want anyone to see me walk out of a bar, assume I'm drunk, and call the cops "for my own good" or to help the community. I just don't think dropping the hammer on someone like that is my call to make.

A lot of good points in this thread though. Surprised to hear about the negative repping. Obviously, someone is a bit touchy about meth heads.
    I'm sorry, but that's just moronic. He saw them shooting up. There was no assumption being made. They were in a park, shooting up, in general f'ing public, and you see no reason to do anything about it??? You should just invite them over to your place to shoot up if it's no big deal...unreal...

You'd probably also watch a little old lady get mugged and do nothing about...because...well, it's not your call to make. Way to put on the blinders jackass...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EclipseRoadie View Post
    Eh, did my daily lunch ride today (Rolla Lions Park, Rolla MO) and pretty quick into the trail scared a couple tweakers shooting up ride next to the trail...

Now, I'm not usually the first person to get pissed about this kind of thing, I've done my share of stuff in the past, and don't usually like to judge people... However, this is a very public trailhead, about a stones throw from the kids jungle gym. The whole trail wraps around the park and you're pretty well able to bail at any point right into the park.

I bailed off the trail and called the cops. They found them a short time later, and I assume they arrested them. I felt conflicted at first, but to be quite honest, if this stuff becomes common the MTB trails (on public property) will probably not exist.

If they had been smoking weed, I wouldn't have had another thought about it, but meth heads are bad news.

Thoughts?
    It's OK to have potheads near the kids, but not the methheads? Now that's some interesting logic....
    Last edited by skiahh; 09-03-2011 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member

You know, this was also my first impulse. Way long ago, in college, there were lots of smack heads and I would not have hesitated to approach them. I knew enough about that community to feel safe doing so. While these guys were likely not a danger, I frankly would be reluctant to go one on two to give them a hard time. Getting old, I guess.

mtbr member
    Having druggies around a park is bad. How would feel if a kid got stuck with a dirty needle? There is no such thing as a recreational meth or heroine user.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ I'd soooo much rather hang w/ a H user than a Crystal user -
    Do you know of any tweakers that make good music or art?
    No, they just steal shlt and take stuff apart.

mtbr member
    Expand the Patriot act,NOW!!!
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    ^^^ I'd soooo much rather hang w/ a H user than a Crystal user -
    Do you know of any tweakers that make good music or art?
    No, they just steal shlt and take stuff apart.
    So heroine users are okay, but meth heads are not? I've personally never known either, I just assumed they were both pretty crappy folks to hang with...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Expand the Patriot act,NOW!!!
    What does this have to do with the Patriot Act??? This thread is chock full of stupid...

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    So heroine users are okay, but meth heads are not? I've personally never known either, I just assumed they were both pretty crappy folks to hang with...
    I personally have - too personally ...
    One of my ex's went back to meth and 'forgot' to come home for three days stayin at some dood's pad.(Family and police looking for her) When confronted, I was somehow the irrational one - and ended up getting kitchen knives thrown @ me - then 'threatened' to kick me out of the house (MY house BTW )
    - another time I had a roomie that started doin meth... I came home one day to find all my electronics gone.

I know of a few musicians and artists who use H - they are generally cool and too lazy to steal anyways.
    I'm not sayin Heroin is awesome ( I haven't done it) - I think if I did I would think it's awesome until I OD'd... :/

Here's some ex users (that enriched our culture)
    Jim Morrison
    Janis Joplin
    Sid Vicious
    Brad Nowell
    John Belushi
    Mitch Hedberg

Name me one good tweaker....

EDR

Gary Busey, nuf said.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ ah! so he lost all his teeth and that's why he's got that monster/horse teeth now!

bust a move
    Florida is full of these turds. Not so much shooters but oxy and meth heads doing like 30 large in damages to a schools ac system for 100 bucks worth of copper . FL is finally starting to close down the pill mills but it is crazy how many frigging addicts there are these days. Given the same situation as the op, I would have called too.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Oxy or meth head broke into my car at the trailhead a few weeks ago. After it was all said and done I have 9k in insurance claims. Report a user you see, parks need good people in them, good people stay away from bad people, soon bad people own the park, you did the right thing.

Frequent Crasher
    +rep for making parks safer for kids.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

mtbr member
    I'm sorry, but that's just moronic.
    Thanks.

You'd probably also watch a little old lady get mugged and do nothing about...because...well, it's not your call to make.
    Actually, I wouldn't. Since you are such a genius, see if you can figure out the difference..

Way to put on the blinders jackass...
    Thanks again, name caller.
    So heroine users are okay, but meth heads are not? I've personally never known either, I just assumed they were both pretty crappy folks to hang with
    You know what they say about assumers.

What does this have to do with the Patriot Act??? This thread is chock full of stupid
    It sure is. One guy here can't even spell heroin.
    Good luck to you.

mtbr member
    It sure is. One guy here can't even spell heroin.
    Good luck to you.
    Heroin/heroine...whatever...apparently I just don't appreciate meth heads as much as you do. Good day to you, Sir!

mtbr member
    meth can cause permanent brain damage, that is a fact. I actually fear individuals on this crap as they do tend to be irrational and violent.I work on pediatrics, it breaks my heart to see pediatric patients who have to contend with their ****ed up parents.It deeply saddens to witness first hand a meth baby's withdrawals and/or genetic defects.So yes I do think meth is especially destructive.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Actually it's not that bad

Quote Originally Posted by BORDERCOLLIE View Post
    meth is such a horrible drug, that crap destroys the brain.....permanently makes people very aggressive and irrational.
    When used under a doctor's care. It's a strong CNS stimulant and not something to fool with lightly in high doses. What is terrible is the horribly contaminated stuff cooked up by meth users/addicts for a fast buck with no quality control whatsoever. Methamphetamine is a legal drug used responsibly by people with narcolepsy and ADHD everyday under doctors' care without having them breaking into cars and homes to feed their habit or getting "meth-mouth". Don't blame the drug and make it a scapegoat as is so popular and simplistic. Ice cream sundaes can be really bad in the hands of a food addict, wanna outlaw them too and start a black market in ice cream sundaes? I'd hate to have your car broken into by a food addict to buy a $100 sundae.

I'd say that our culture that encourages and rewards workaholics probably implicitly encourages the use of an illegal strong stimulant drug that can allow one to feel pretty great about working for 48 hours straight. That's a pretty poor medical use of the drug though especially when it's illegally made and contaminated to the point of being extremely toxic.

mtbr member
    I believe the OP was very likely referring to street drugs which indeed can contain toxic contaminants.As a professional health care provider I am aware of the difference between street crap and prescription drugs.I am by no means simple.The subject is illegal drug abuse. Meth was widely used by troops in world war two? I know the SS was quite fond of it.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    When used under a doctor's care. It's a strong CNS stimulant and not something to fool with lightly in high doses. What is terrible is the horribly contaminated stuff cooked up by meth users/addicts for a fast buck with no quality control whatsoever. Methamphetamine is a legal drug used responsibly by people with narcolepsy and ADHD everyday under doctors' care without having them breaking into cars and homes to feed their habit or getting "meth-mouth". Don't blame the drug and make it a scapegoat as is so popular and simplistic. Ice cream sundaes can be really bad in the hands of a food addict, wanna outlaw them too and start a black market in ice cream sundaes? I'd hate to have your car broken into by a food addict to buy a $100 sundae.

I'd say that our culture that encourages and rewards workaholics probably implicitly encourages the use of an illegal strong stimulant drug that can allow one to feel pretty great about working for 48 hours straight. That's a pretty poor medical use of the drug though especially when it's illegally made and contaminated to the point of being extremely toxic.
    I doubt very much the tweakers shooting up beside the trail had a prescription.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    It's OK to have potheads near the kids, but not the methheads? Now that's some interesting logic....
    You have to be kidding right??

I mean your lucid brain is not really trying to compare marijuana to crystal-meth... right???

compare:

to

Yes, that's fonetic
    To belabor that point, I know many successful professionals (doctors and lawyers among them) who are daily pot users. Anyone know any daily meth users functioning in that capacity?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    To belabor that point, I know many professionals (doctors and lawyers among them) who are daily pot users. Anyone know any daily meth users functioning in that capacity?
    no, good point though.do you know any 50+ pot smokers that shred on a mountain bike? pot smokers are much easier to deal with in general

Yes, that's fonetic
    .do you know any 50+ pot smokers that shred on a mountain bike?
    I do (more than one) and I am endeavoring to up my skill level in order to keep up with them.

mtbr member
    "Tweakers on the Trails" Sounds like a song title!

Hi.
    no, good point though.do you know any 50+ pot smokers that shred on a mountain bike?
    I know a few, and it doesn't seem to negatively affect their abilities on the bike.

tl1 made a good point about contamination with toxic substances, and it applies to other drugs as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Um yes you certainly made the right move, lol. Who the hell wants to dodge methheads when you're biking!? You should certainly not fee conflicted, who knows what they would or wouldn't do out there on their lonesome when they got bored staring at leaves. These are the people who start wildfires where I live (SoCal)..

banned
    I personally have - too personally ...
    One of my ex's went back to meth and 'forgot' to come home for three days stayin at some dood's pad.(Family and police looking for her) When confronted, I was somehow the irrational one - and ended up getting kitchen knives thrown @ me - then 'threatened' to kick me out of the house (MY house BTW )
    - another time I had a roomie that started doin meth... I came home one day to find all my electronics gone.

I know of a few musicians and artists who use H - they are generally cool and too lazy to steal anyways.
    I'm not sayin Heroin is awesome ( I haven't done it) - I think if I did I would think it's awesome until I OD'd... :/

Here's some ex users (that enriched our culture)
    Jim Morrison
    Janis Joplin
    Sid Vicious
    Brad Nowell
    John Belushi
    Mitch Hedberg

Enriched our culture???

High Desert MTBer
    Couple of things... heroin users do steal sh*t. This practice is not just limited to meth users. Anyone with an addiction to feed without the wherewithal to feed it will go to great lengths, including crime.
    Good point about the toxicity of street drugs. Many of the problems of damage caused by illicit drug use are down to crap mixed into the drug by dealers. In '78 I had an ex die in my arms from dirty heroin. Not fun.
    Pot users are generally more placid and laid back than meth users... (no brainer), but I have known MANY heavy pot users who are total d**kheads if they cannot burn one.
    There are people in ALL walks of life who take all kinds of illegal drugs and function successfully. Maybe not for ever, but I am sure people would be surprised how widespread this is.
    To Mr Anonymous, WTF? Expand the Patriot Act? What good is that going to do pray tell? The War on Drugs did not work, the War on Terror is moot, so how do you think this would help? I am seriously interested to hear your POV.
    Back to the OP and the one brave soul who fessed up to not wanting to shop anyone, right or wrong, I felt the same, but only agreed because these people were causing an immediate danger to kids who might be around the park area. We have to assume the worst with the information given. Also, if I saw you going to get into a car when obviously incapacitated and incapable, I would probably shop you too! I wouldn't like having to do that, but it could be your family you run down, or you could kill or maim yourself and let down people who love and perhaps rely on you.
    People will debate the drug issue back and forth, but nothing seems to make any sense as long as greed and crime make up a part of the equation. If you make it more difficult to make a criminal buck out of the trade, many problems will go away, so part of me says we should legalise everything. In fact a great part of me says we should do this. Many of the problems associated with the drug trade would disappear overnight. The money made by taxation could be put towards educating people in responsible use, and towards treatment of over-users. Bring production and distribution 'into the legal fold', and see what happens then. The current way of going about things is patently ineffective, so could this be any worse? We might be able to avoid some of the worst excesses of illicit drug use, and tweakers would no longer have the need to go 'indulge' near a kids play area.
    I know this will cause a lot of 'feedback'! I would ask that if you do not agree with what I said, I would be glad to hear your point of view too. Please do not just go to the 'wuss list' and leave me a childish rant. I would also welcome hearing from anyone with positive input on this. This can be an inflammatory issue, but let's try to keep it constructive!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Gary Busey, nuf said.
    poster child for helmet use... i think it was that knock on the head...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

banned
    I believe it was more his poly-substance abuse, legal and illegal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Execute all dealers and manufacturers on the spot. No leniency.

humber river advocate
    i agree, for example lets say you provided free herion to addicts of meth etc, out of all the drugs to be addicted to if provided for free it will probally be the least destructive and the easiest to manage. then you can provide support, health care, social structure, psychiatric care, medical supervision, nutrition, employment counseling, diversonal activties, community involvement, disease control, and the list goes on. not to mention that it will help the families affected by knowing their love one is being taken care of. it is very cost effective way to deal with the issue and helps the community.

who would such a program not benefit?

-organized crime (loss of revenue)
    -the enforcement industry (loss of revenue)
    -political fear mongering (loss of votes)
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post
    Seems like an 'enlightened' plan!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    i agree, for example lets say you provided free herion to addicts of meth etc, out of all the drugs to be addicted to if provided for free it will probally be the least destructive and the easiest to manage. then you can provide support, health care, social structure, psychiatric care, medical supervision, nutrition, employment counseling, diversonal activties, community involvement, disease control, and the list goes on. not to mention that it will help the families affected by knowing their love one is being taken care of. it is very cost effective way to deal with the issue and helps the community.

who would such a program not benefit?

-organized crime (loss of revenue)
    -the enforcement industry (loss of revenue)
    -political fear mongering (loss of votes)
    ...and who exactly is going to pay for this nanny state largess?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post

Nope. Meth isn't really prescribed by doctors. It's a legal option but the vast majority of those prescriptions are amphetamines of various sorts. The methamphetamine drugs are almost never used anymore due to horrible side effects.

No good in rock gardens..
    Imagine accidentally running over the corpse of a dead overdosed addict.
    Less isn't MOAR

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    your paying a lot more now... do you think organized crime files tax returns on all it's revenues? and what about all the property damage? i wonder how much the war on drugs cost?

"The U.S. federal government spent over $15 billion dollars in 2010 on the War on Drugs, at a rate of about $500 per second"
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    I think there are probably better ways to treat meth addicts than to get them hooked on free heroin. But, I think you need to look past the simplistic view of a publicly funded program as being bad. There is plenty of public money being wasted on enforcement, litigation and incarceration of drug users right now. That money will continue to be spent and never make an overall improvement in the situation. There are plenty of "public options" that can save money in the long run and result in real improvement, not just with the drug problems, but many problems in general (like healthcare ).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. Blonde View Post
    nope. Meth isn't really prescribed by doctors. It's a legal option but the vast majority of those prescriptions are amphetamines of various sorts. The methamphetamine drugs are almost never used anymore due to horrible side effects.
    ritalin?

mtbr member
    You have to be kidding right??

I mean your lucid brain is not really trying to compare marijuana to crystal-meth... right???
    To the extent that both are illegal drugs that affect the mind (no doubt which has the worse effect, though), yes, I am comparing them in relation to having druggies doing their thing near the playground where my kid plays.

Take your pot and go to your big mansion - I mean, doctors, lawyers and whatnot toke every day and are successful, right? - and do your thing. Do it near my kid or other kids and you're the same as a meth head in my book.

~Disc~Golf~
    To the extent that both are illegal drugs that affect the mind (no doubt which has the worse effect, though), yes, I am comparing them in relation to having druggies doing their thing near the playground where my kid plays.

Take your pot and go to your big mansion - I mean, doctors, lawyers and whatnot toke every day and are successful, right? - and do your thing. Do it near my kid or other kids and you're the same as a meth head in my book.
    So I take it you'd also have a problem with people drinking some beers (like at a BBQ or something) near your kids.
    Because I mean that alcohol has a far greater potential to have a negative impact on a persons character than pot ever could.
    Am I right or am I right?

mtbr member
    ritalin?
    Is an Amphetamine. Completely different class of drugs.

I'm just messing with you
    I believe it was more his poly-substance abuse, legal and illegal.
    Busey? Yeah, of course that's what it was, drug abuse, not the crack on the melon. No surprise you're rewriting history based on your beliefs though. You're nothing if not predictable.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Wow, this has really taken on a much different vibe.

Thanks for the feedback guys, makes me feel better about the situation.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    "Tweakers on the Trails" Sounds like a song title!
    Sung to "Riders on the Storm" it does have a certain ring to it.........
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CGrr View Post

This logic is SO lame.

It is a demand side equation pure and simple. The world would not be fighting for the right to supply the USA with coke, pot, H, etc if we were not by far the largest consumer. Why do we as a nation have such a insatiable desire for drugs?
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

REALLY?
    I've been smoking pot nearly thirty years now, and have a Dr. recommendation for the stuff. Pot doesn't really do or give you anything you don't already have, it simply enhances it. It gives you a perspectives about things you would probably not have unless you are stoned. And as others have posted, pot users are a very layed back crowd, generally we don't like to cause any problems, impose on anyone or draw to much attention to ourselves. For the most part we just like to be left alone with our weed. In fact...its time for a toke...ttyl. J.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So I take it you'd also have a problem with people drinking some beers (like at a BBQ or something) near your kids.
    Because I mean that alcohol has a far greater potential to have a negative impact on a persons character than pot ever could.
    Certain personalities are attracted to different substances. I have issues with people who drink to excess regularly. Its not the drug but the personality of alcohol drinkers. Its not the drug, its the person. Much like people who use religion as a drug. I don't focus on the drug of choice. I've never met a person who doesn't use something. Food, religion, feelings of superiority, sex, its all the same. Nobody white knuckles it through life.

Yes, alcohol is on the same level as meth as far as personal destruction if it gets a hold of one. There is a difference between use and abuse.

Team Livemedium
    maybe they had diabetes, or they were allergic to bee stings. seriously though, I thought tweekers smoked through light bulbs, wouldn't shooting up make them junkies instead?
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    In my part of town tweekers do uppers.

mtbr member
    What part of ILLEGAL drugs do you not understand? There is a difference between beers - legal - and pot/meth/crack/etc - illegal or has your drug addled mind conveniently obliterated the brain cell that contains that difference?

And as for beers at a BBQ? Some beers is fine. Getting stupid drunk wouldn't be, nor would alcoholics doing their thing in front of my kid. My tacit approval of such behavior would make it seem OK to her when it's not; despite being legal.

~Disc~Golf~
    OH - you wanna go the "ILLEGAL" route.

Bet you never speed with kids in your car! And I bet you go off on every driver who goes 30 in your neighborhood in front of your kids - I mean, It is ILLEGAL and faaaar more dangerous - right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't use our elected government to make those decisions for us. Think about this statement a little. With respect to ther OP,the issue is selfishness. One needs to think about the effects on others with regard to their behaviour.

Drug laws are political with little practicality.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    maybe they had diabetes, or they were allergic to bee stings. seriously though, I thought tweekers smoked through light bulbs, wouldn't shooting up make them junkies instead?
    Meth is typically snorted, sometimes injected and in it's rock form (known as Ice and viscously addictive) is smoked.

This is what tweakers can and will do when they think you've wronged them. Do not, I repeat do not mess with meth heads. This was 10 minutes away from a full structure fire and is only the tip of the iceberg. Thankfully my dog woke me up.
    The culprit is now serving 12 in Canyon City.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tweakers on the trail-arson-034.jpg  

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

High Desert MTBer
    What part of ILLEGAL drugs do you not understand? There is a difference between beers - legal - and pot/meth/crack/etc - illegal or has your drug addled mind conveniently obliterated the brain cell that contains that difference?

And as for beers at a BBQ? Some beers is fine. Getting stupid drunk wouldn't be, nor would alcoholics doing their thing in front of my kid. My tacit approval of such behavior would make it seem OK to her when it's not; despite being legal.
    Sir, I would suggest you go and do some reading to broaden your mind. Do you draw a distinction between "beers - legal-" and hard liquor, also legal? At what point is too much beer not to be tolerated? What is this "thing" that alcoholics do? What do you know about any of this really? I think you need to think about what you are saying. Hey! you're not the guy who wanted to execute dealers and manufacturers are you?

mtbr member
    OH - you wanna go the "ILLEGAL" route.

Bet you never speed with kids in your car! And I bet you go off on every driver who goes 30 in your neighborhood in front of your kids - I mean, It is ILLEGAL and faaaar more dangerous - right?
    I'm sure you've heard they saying that there's no sense in arguing with pigs... you both get dirty and the pig likes it. Enjoy your mud; I'm out.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    Certain personalities are attracted to different substances. I have issues with people who drink to excess regularly. Its not the drug but the personality of alcohol drinkers. Its not the drug, its the person. Much like people who use religion as a drug. I don't focus on the drug of choice. I've never met a person who doesn't use something. Food, religion, feelings of superiority, sex, its all the same. Nobody white knuckles it through life.

Yes, alcohol is on the same level as meth as far as personal destruction if it gets a hold of one. There is a difference between use and abuse.
    Mostly Yup and Yup! Some alcohol drinkers are able to continue their self-abuse without anyone else having a clue that they are using heavily. Don't get me started on religion!!! You are correct in that all the things you mention can become addictions, along with many, many more. Personally, I would be as nervous about having some religious nutjob near my kids as I would a 'tweaker'. Different reasons, different potential for different damage.

High Desert MTBer
    I'm sure you've heard they saying that there's no sense in arguing with pigs... you both get dirty and the pig likes it. Enjoy your mud; I'm out.
    Pigs? Us? What an odd thing to say!

If we are in the mud, he must be in the S**t...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    For the most part we just like to be left alone with our weed.
    I understand where you're coming from, but this statement doesn't sound too good...sounds a lot like what any other "junkie" would say...I just want to be left alone with my (weed, meth, heroin, spray paint, etc)...not much of an existence...

moderation is a beautiful thing...

mtbr member
    Tweakers bag em and tag em

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast