Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stay clean when riding?

Anyone here regularly avoid pot while riding?? I know potheads will try to tell me this is lame/uncool but I don't really don't care, go educate yourself. Staying clean in the middle of nowhere while on a ride is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself and your riding. For a start you avoid cognitive impairment so you can focus while riding and smoke particulates are well-known to damage your lungs. I know people will spit the same old lies about pot making you ride better but there's evidence that in regular users it alters neurotransmitter release long-term. Also, getting home, having a meal and being of sound mind never felt so good!

Hit us up if you share my appreciation for riding clean!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A motorcycle racer friend of mine was FAR smoother while on pot, than off.. But that said, the fastest racers I know were far better off it than on.

That said, I am anti-drug so..

I occasio.....RECYC........Oh, wait this probably will stay here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Got a couple of buds (ha!) who like to imbibe before, during & afterwards. I have no idea how they can do it. I've tried it a couple of times and can't even navigate thru the trees without thwacking my bar on somefin.

And I can't stop giggling.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    These two threads have given me the giggles!

mtbr member
    I'm clean, but not a great rider

Love riding my bike cicle

mtbr member
    Yeah, occasionally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Lol, I might as well make a parallel post here too. I ride sober if I'm with a lot of other guys and we're riding a bit harder than I normally would. I feel like I can ride harder if I'm sober, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a better experience.

mtbr member
    I was dumbfounded by the other thread that this thread was inspired by. Some things are better to keep to yourself.

workin' it Administrator
    I used to ride with some bad ass mountain bikers. They were mostly DHers but we were learning them to ride XC and singlespeed. We stopped a lot while they stretched and ate some nutrition but then we would be on our way again.

This one time we were riding a pretty easy trail but at night which makes it still a pretty easy trail. There is a set of doubles out there and one of them decided to hit it at speed. Which normally wouldn't be a problem but he had just gotten a set of clipless pedals for the first time and was riding the multi release cleat for some reason. As he styled it up into a big whip his foot unclipped, typing his leg in the bike and landing with the front wheel turned. Landing he hit the ground with his hand extended and stopped dead.

I scrape him out of the dirt, put his light back on and wait for him to get his breath, then assess the damage. He is dizzy, his collar bone is broken and his shoulder is separated.

We talk about what to do and decide that since none of us actually has a car that can get even near the crash point we need to get him out. He is in intense pain. We need a pain killer and my friend pulls out some advil and we give it to him or whatever. We get him nice and relaxed, sit and chat, get him into a bike tube collar bone sling then we get him walking. I walk with his bike and mine and we alternately walk and talk and help him along the trail. All the way to the car he is foggy about what happened.

So he is concussed and we drive him to the hospital. He gets seen and treated. He calls us later to thank us. We always look back on that day as the day we became really good friends and the day we did it right. Glad we were able to think clearly and logically.

Actually I wish I just didn't ride with guys that smoke pot.
    Try this: HTFU

Retired User
    Not a fan of the splif myself, nor are any of my regular riding buddies, though probably 1/4 - 1/3 of my rides end with liquid refreshments.Occasionally, sad attempts at trials riding then follow.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i regularly take laxatives and soil myself during rides, but hey, at least my lungs stay clean!

saddlemeat
    It's all good, whatever keeps you riding and smiling!
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    I once tried to snowboard down from the annual BB&B party on Vail Mt. I was drunk as heck. My riding went like this: back side turn - toe side turn - face plant - get up on feet - back side turn - toe side turn - face plant - repeat......all the way down the mountain. I can't imagine mountain biking high or buzzed.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I used to ride with some bad ass mountain bikers. They were mostly DHers but we were learning them to ride XC and singlespeed. We stopped a lot while they stretched and ate some nutrition but then we would be on our way again.

This one time we were riding a pretty easy trail but at night which makes it still a pretty easy trail. There is a set of doubles out there and one of them decided to hit it at speed. Which normally wouldn't be a problem but he had just gotten a set of clipless pedals for the first time and was riding the multi release cleat for some reason. As he styled it up into a big whip his foot unclipped, typing his leg in the bike and landing with the front wheel turned. Landing he hit the ground with his hand extended and stopped dead.

I scrape him out of the dirt, put his light back on and wait for him to get his breath, then assess the damage. He is dizzy, his collar bone is broken and his shoulder is separated.

We talk about what to do and decide that since none of us actually has a car that can get even near the crash point we need to get him out. He is in intense pain. We need a pain killer and my friend pulls out some advil and we give it to him or whatever. We get him nice and relaxed, sit and chat, get him into a bike tube collar bone sling then we get him walking. I walk with his bike and mine and we alternately walk and talk and help him along the trail. All the way to the car he is foggy about what happened.

So he is concussed and we drive him to the hospital. He gets seen and treated. He calls us later to thank us. We always look back on that day as the day we became really good friends and the day we did it right. Glad we were able to think clearly and logically.

Actually I wish I just didn't ride with guys that smoke pot.
    On the flip side, I've heard of people being "prepared' with pain meds and have troubles. The incident that comes to my mind first is when a rider broke his collar bone and cracked a few ribs. One of the people riding with him had some hydrocodone/oxycodone (one of those) and they gave it to him. It ultimately made him continuously pass out while coming back as it messed with his blood pressure during a concussion...something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    On the flip side, I've heard of people being "prepared' with pain meds and have troubles. The incident that comes to my mind first is when a rider broke his collar bone and cracked a few ribs. One of the people riding with him had some hydrocodone/oxycodone (one of those) and they gave it to him. It ultimately made him continuously pass out while coming back as it messed with his blood pressure during a concussion...something along those lines.
    providing other people with medications, especially prescription medications, in a situation that contraindicates the use of those medications is just as stupid. any medications I carry are for my own use, and any consequences from using them are my own to bear because it's my responsibility to know when to take them and when to avoid using them. in a first aid situation, anyone with any training knows better than than to give someone else prescription drugs, and they're well aware of the things that ARE responsible to do to an injured person. THAT has nothing to do with whether someone toked it up or not.

however, any substance use that alters a person's ability to make proper decisions is a poor choice when those decisions can have life or death ramifications.

mtbr member
    dude, preach on. to each their own. riding with weed is awesome. if you haven't tried it don't knock it. i regularly ride and work and drink and etc w/o weed but the occasional toke while riding is awesome. especially while hucking turns on the white stuff with my planks.

mtbr member
    do you use caffeine while riding? what about red bulls and all that shite? done with this thread, outta here.

North Idaho
    I learned a long time ago that I don't do stuff well if I am under the influence of "stuff". So no, unless I am just hanging out, I don't do anything unless the brain is clear.
    09 Giant Trance X3 1x9

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    why do people compare things like caffeine to drugs? illegal/prescription/etc caffeine has never made unfunny cartoons funny, nor made you think you can fly, or see/hear things(and im talking weed and legals too hell.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by gillotte View Post
    why do people compare things like caffeine to drugs? illegal/prescription/etc caffeine has never made unfunny cartoons funny, nor made you think you can fly, or see/hear things(and im talking weed and legals too hell.
    Caffeine is a drug even though (like amphetamine or moderate amounts of cocaine) it does not make you think you can fly.

Different drugs affect you in different ways. Illegality makes a drug a narcotic, but just being legal does not mean it's nolonger a drug. Plenty of painkillers contain morphine, and they are just as much a drug as the morphine on it's own without the fancy wrapping. Legality is defined by politics, not medical reasons. Just like alcohol at some time was illeagal, we might see some narcotics be legal and accepted in the future too (plenty of them are less harmful).

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    yes im not talking about legality. im talking pretty much caffeine while a drug is in no real way comparable to weed and such. and amps/cocaine will alter your thinking though.

~Disc~Golf~
    I probably am expected to show up...
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I find it much easier to stay clean on a dry summer day then after a heavy autumn rain...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZled View Post
    I find it much easier to stay clean on a dry summer day then after a heavy autumn rain...
    I have no idea what this means but I totally agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast