Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 264
  1. #1
    Sweat is just fat crying.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9,560

    So, if you're in a bind, Wal Mart.

    I was in the local Wal Mart (I know, they are evil!), and thought I'd look at the bike accessories to see if they had 29er tubes. Lo and behold, they do. They're called a 'universal' tube, made by Bell. Says it fits a 29" tire, 2.10 x 2.25 with a Presta valve. More info here> bell sports universal tube - Walmart.com

    The also have (or at least they do in the Wal Mart here) Bell Kingpin 29er tires, for $28. Says it has "extra flat resistance", is a 2.25 size and is a folding tire. The tread pattern looked ok, not the most aggressive I've ever seen, but it sure beats walking or cancelling your ride. Hell, I'm thinking about getting a couple for weekday rides so I don't wear out my $50 "good" tires.

    More info on the tire here> bell sports kingpin 29 - Walmart.com



    And please, yes, I know how bad Wal Mart is. But like I say, if you've just driven 2 hours to get to a trailhead and you need a tire or a tube, I don't think this one time is gonna hurt.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,943
    26x2.1-2.5 tubes work fine in my 29 RaRas, so save a little too. The Performance Racing Ralphs are about 35 at Cycleclub and they weigh quite a bit less than these, so a spare isn't a bad idea.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    41
    If you go to Amazon and search for "CST Critter," it's a 29 x 2.10 tire you can get for $12.21.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    31
    I'm suppose to post 5 times before I can ask a question. So here's post #1: You can always try the Walmart tube to see how it works.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    154
    no excuses for shopping at Wal Mart. Ever.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    85
    Me and my father race motocross together. Getting ready for a race one night, the grips on his quad were about shot so he decided to check out the Walmart bike stuff. Picked up a set of Schwinn grips. They're black and red, and to be honest, they've been awesome. They're soft and have held up extremely well.
    Also running some wallyworld special tubes in my bmx bike for a few months with so problems.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by zkid09 View Post
    Me and my father race motocross together. Getting ready for a race one night, the grips on his quad were about shot so he decided to check out the Walmart bike stuff. Picked up a set of Schwinn grips. They're black and red, and to be honest, they've been awesome. They're soft and have held up extremely well.
    Also running some wallyworld special tubes in my bmx bike for a few months with so problems.
    just find somewhere else to shop. wal mart is one of the absolute worse companies for the economy, they promote poverty in the US and overseas. there is no excuse for shopping there, alternatives exist everywhere.

  8. #8
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,937
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    just find somewhere else to shop. wal mart is one of the absolute worse companies for the economy, they promote poverty in the US and overseas. there is no excuse for shopping there, alternatives exist everywhere.
    You might as well be dipping water out of the ocean with a teaspoon.

    100M shop at Wal-Mart every week.

    How about ragging on something that is a detriment to our health - like McDonalds? They serve 62M customers a day - or 434M every week!!!

    On the other hand, Wal-Mart sold more bananas last year than any other item in their stores. Now that's healthy...

  9. #9
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,293
    I run these tires actually. Tried them after my AKAs wore out just for fun, figuring I could discard them and only be out $30 (for 1). They are actually CST Caballeros. I've never had a flat and only three thorns have punctured the tread area all the way through. Run them tubeless with no problem on Arch wheels although I have to add a couple lbs of air/week. The tread wears like iron and I have not cut a sidewall yet even on sharp rocky trails. Actual weight=810 grams each.

    I know there's dislike for many things Walmart on the MTBR forums but these are legit tires from the parent company of Maxxis.

  10. #10
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,293
    Double post....sorry.
    Last edited by MTBeing; 12-19-2012 at 07:18 PM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    You might as well be dipping water out of the ocean with a teaspoon.

    100M shop at Wal-Mart every week.

    How about ragging on something that is a detriment to our health - like McDonalds? They serve 62M customers a day - or 434M every week!!!

    On the other hand, Wal-Mart sold more bananas last year than any other item in their stores. Now that's healthy...
    Wal Mart is a much bigger detriment to the health of the economy which in turn affects everyone. They employ roughly two million people, all of whom live around the poverty line. If you're a clerk you live below the line, if you're a manager you live just above the line but because of all the unpaid overtime you are pressured into your real wage is below the line.

    Can Wal Mart afford better wages? They are owned by a family of 5 worth $40 billion combined. So can they afford to pay better? Pretty rhetorical question don't you think?

    How does this affect the economy? All those employees have to rely on social services to get by in life, so even though they have a full time job they still need social services.

    Wal Mart's corporate motto is Save Money Live Better. Pretty easy to see who is living better.

    Lots of change is possible but only if people are aware and conscious of what is happening around them. Now you know a little bit about Wal Mart, do you still think they are something worth defending?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    I run these tires actually. Tried them after my AKAs wore out just for fun, figuring I could discard them and only be out $30 (for 1). They are actually CST Caballeros. I've never had a flat and only three thorns have punctured the tread area all the way through. Run them tubeless with no problem on Arch wheels although I have to add a couple lbs of air/week. The tread wears like iron and I have not cut a sidewall yet even on sharp rocky trails. Actual weight=810 grams each.

    I know there's dislike for many things Walmart on the MTBR forums but these are legit tires from the parent company of Maxxis.
    just buy them somewhere else, buy everything somewhere else

  13. #13
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,937
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    Lots of change is possible but only if people are aware and conscious of what is happening around them. Now you know a little bit about Wal Mart, do you still think they are something worth defending?
    I think I know and have read more about WM than you imply. Plenty of antiWal-Mart threads exist, but most end up in the ReCycle Bin here at MTBR.com.

    This thread was more about the viability of picking up a tire/tube at a Wal-Mart. Not to mention, they do sell some 29"er models that have been well discussed on the 29"er forum.

    BB (Who does, on occasion, shop at WM and holds stock in the company)

  14. #14
    FKA Malibu412
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,268
    You say:

    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    Wal Mart is a much bigger detriment to the health of the economy which in turn affects everyone. They employ roughly two million people, all of whom live around the poverty line. If you're a clerk you live below the line, if you're a manager you live just above the line but because of all the unpaid overtime you are pressured into your real wage is below the line.

    Can Wal Mart afford better wages? They are owned by a family of 5 worth $40 billion combined. So can they afford to pay better? Pretty rhetorical question don't you think?

    How does this affect the economy? All those employees have to rely on social services to get by in life, so even though they have a full time job they still need social services.

    Wal Mart's corporate motto is Save Money Live Better. Pretty easy to see who is living better.

    Lots of change is possible but only if people are aware and conscious of what is happening around them. Now you know a little bit about Wal Mart, do you still think they are something worth defending?
    All I hear is:

    Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

    Why not just look up one of the myriad other WM posts here at mtbr, copy and paste, and save yourself some life.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

  15. #15
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,998
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    Wal Mart is a much bigger detriment to the health of the economy which in turn affects everyone. They employ roughly two million people, all of whom live around the poverty line. If you're a clerk you live below the line, if you're a manager you live just above the line but because of all the unpaid overtime you are pressured into your real wage is below the line.

    Can Wal Mart afford better wages? They are owned by a family of 5 worth $40 billion combined. So can they afford to pay better? Pretty rhetorical question don't you think?

    How does this affect the economy? All those employees have to rely on social services to get by in life, so even though they have a full time job they still need social services.

    Wal Mart's corporate motto is Save Money Live Better. Pretty easy to see who is living better.

    Lots of change is possible but only if people are aware and conscious of what is happening around them. Now you know a little bit about Wal Mart, do you still think they are something worth defending?




    The reality is you should fear your government more than wallyworld.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,394
    I run the 26" version on the front tubeless. Burped a couple times because pressure was too low. Rubber could be softer but at $17 (opened return item), not bad.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The reality is you should fear your government more than wallyworld.
    You"re right about the US government, it is easily the most feared regime in the world.

    As for Wal Mart, they are just plain despicable, completely un-american and worthy of everyones scorn.

    The tires pictured by the OP are found in other outlets.

  18. #18
    the mountian is within
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    543
    Yep-CST cabalaro......my shop has them at $20 wire bead/$25 kevlar. Wallyworld is not your friend-the LBS is-ask them to get some!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,120
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The reality is you should fear your government more than wallyworld.
    Seen many black helicopters lately?

  20. #20
    PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    Reputation: NslrPrtn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Seen many black helicopters lately?
    He probably just read a history book or two.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz View Post
    Yep-CST cabalaro......my shop has them at $20 wire bead/$25 kevlar. Wallyworld is not your friend-the LBS is-ask them to get some!
    Was just about to chime in that these look just like rebadged CST Caballeros . . . which can easily be found cheaper than $30 per tire.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    538

    No good

    Lol at the Wally World activists.

    Find me a better deal locally on ammo or oil (only things I buy there) and ill consider not going.

    Nobody is holding a gun to their employees heads. If they had better educations and weren't rude as fawk maybe they could work elsewhere. In fact many seem quite happy to be standing around in circles not working or helping customers as they make minimum wage. Yup, guess I should feel sorry for them.

    Until then, your agendas mean nothing to me, save it for a section of the forums that give a crap.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ttusomeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post

    Nobody is holding a gun to their employees heads. If they had better educations and weren't rude as fawk maybe they could work elsewhere. In fact many seem quite happy to be standing around in circles not working or helping customers as they make minimum wage. Yup, guess I should feel sorry for them.
    I was reading this thread and was going to post something very similiar. Without getting into an entire economics debate on pay, these employees have the option of looking for a higher paid job or equiping themselves to get a higher paying job.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobLyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Seen many black helicopters lately?
    I fly them for a living. Well, they are actually REALLY dark green.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    On the other hand, Wal-Mart sold more bananas last year than any other item in their stores. Now that's healthy...

    No that just means Monkeys shop there!!!!

    And for the record, their prices are not cheaper.


    Todd

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •