Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I am most certain that walmart is not the only company to engage in the practice in Mexico. It is S.O.P. to get anything done in that country. While I can appreciate your passion posting a link like that is highly disingenuous.
    Nothing disingenuous with that posting or the article it links to.

And you are right that Wal Mart is not the only company doing that in Mexico - does that make it right?

They and other corporations have also been caught and charged for bribery in the US, does that mean bribery is SOP in the US too?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    Actually children are being killed and abused, its called globalization. Ever seen a factory in China or Thailand or Vietnam or Mexico? Once again you have to be a mental genius to not be aware of how people in the third world are exploited for labour. Some of this actually shows up in mainstream media.
    I have, actually. I've toured many of these factories. Have you?

I've yet to see a dead child in a factory in China. In fact, I read as much about abuse in the US as I do in China.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I was in the local Wal Mart (I know, they are evil!), and thought I'd look at the bike accessories to see if they had 29er tubes. Lo and behold, they do. They're called a 'universal' tube, made by Bell. Says it fits a 29" tire, 2.10 x 2.25 with a Presta valve. More info here> bell sports universal tube - Walmart.com

The also have (or at least they do in the Wal Mart here) Bell Kingpin 29er tires, for $28. Says it has "extra flat resistance", is a 2.25 size and is a folding tire. The tread pattern looked ok, not the most aggressive I've ever seen, but it sure beats walking or cancelling your ride. Hell, I'm thinking about getting a couple for weekday rides so I don't wear out my $50 "good" tires.

More info on the tire here> bell sports kingpin 29 - Walmart.com

And please, yes, I know how bad Wal Mart is. But like I say, if you've just driven 2 hours to get to a trailhead and you need a tire or a tube, I don't think this one time is gonna hurt.
    Sorry OP for all this mess! Thanks for the tip! Next time your in wallyworld, check out those Schwinn grips. They're like 8 dollars. Great feel!
    Have a blessed one!

banned
    The fanaticism in this thread is astounding. Beware fanatics as no amount of reason will alter their trajectory.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    The fanaticism in this thread is astounding. Beware fanatics as no amount of reason will alter their trajectory.
    absolutely! however, how about some levity?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I am most certain that walmart is not the only company to engage in the practice in Mexico. It is S.O.P. to get anything done in that country. While I can appreciate your passion posting a link like that is highly disingenuous.
    Disingenuous? It wasn't just Mexico. You should probably read the whole article before commenting. I know you're a good man that wouldn't support these kind of illegal practices that includes WalMart USA knowing about what was done in Mexico and not reporting the bribes as required by the Foreign Corrupt Practices Law, destroying ancient artifacts next to a ancient pyramid temple complex and just the fact that they placed a massive supermarket in the shadow of the pyramids as a sort of "fu*k you" to archeologists and those trying to preserve the culture there. I would still grab a tube or tire there in a pinch if I had to but I'm not going to support a company that makes a regular business practice of such global corruption and global community destruction.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    Nothing disingenuous with that posting or the article it links to.

And you are right that Wal Mart is not the only company doing that in Mexico - does that make it right?

They and other corporations have also been caught and charged for bribery in the US, does that mean bribery is SOP in the US too?
    Give 'em hell stepitup. Don't let the hateful drones here get you down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    I would still grab a tube or tire there in a pinch if I had to but I'm not going to support a company that makes a regular business practice of such global corruption and global community destruction.
    ^^^ That's funny.

You refuse to support a company "that makes a regular business practice of such global corruption and global community destruction." But, hey, you'd buy some bike parts from them if it could keep you from missing a bike ride.

A little hypocritical, don't you think?
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Again, why do we care? Aren't they following the "rules" in these places? My beef is about what they do here.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Again, why do we care? Aren't they following the "rules" in these places? My beef is about what they do here.
    They are breaking the rules everywhere they are bribing officials and breaking the laws to get what they want. The Walmart corporate headquarters are in the USA so everything they do globally is also done "here". Specifically what was done here, in all the illegal bribery cases worldwide, was violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. They clearly knew about the bribes at headquarters but did not report them as the law required.
    Last edited by tl1; 12-19-2012 at 07:46 AM.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    ^^^ That's funny.

You refuse to support a company "that makes a regular business practice of such global corruption and global community destruction." But, hey, you'd buy some bike parts from them if it could keep you from missing a bike ride.

Not really. I don't think the price of one emergency bike tire so I could ride that day will unduly support Walmart. It's called not being a zero tolerance fanatic about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    They are breaking the rules everywhere they are bribing officials and breaking the laws to get what they want. The Walmart corporate headquarters are in the USA so everything they do globally is also done "here". Specifically what was done here, in all the illegal bribery cases worldwide, was violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. They clearly knew about the bribes at headquarters but did not report them as the law required.
    Could they do business without bribes in third world countries? I know if you want police help in Mexico you better have a wade of cash ... or expect a savage beating.

Cow Clicker
    1. We do not live in a democracy; we live in a representative republic.
    2. WalMart is what you get when you measure the health of the nation in terms of consumption (GDP).
    3. Do not ever mention WalMart again.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

re member
    F-22 Raptors are awesome.

Also, how many babies, on average, does Wal-Mart use in each quart of baby oil it sells?
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    F-22 Raptors are awesome.

Also, how many babies, on average, does Wal-Mart use in each quart of baby oil it sells?

1.1258, but they are humane in doing it.

AZ
    banned
    ^^^ That's funny.

Its only hypocritical when someone else does it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For those that care, here is a link for a guide (more complete as a book) on ethical shopping. better world shopper

Hard data behind the rankings, though it doesn't really address how small, locally owned stores stack up. At any rate, follow the links from that website (they list out their major data sources), and you can draw your own conclusions based on your values.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    For those that care, here is a link for a guide (more complete as a book) on ethical shopping. better world shopper

Hard data behind the rankings, though it doesn't really address how small, locally owned stores stack up. At any rate, follow the links from that website (they list out their major data sources), and you can draw your own conclusions based on your values.
    Hey, here are the energy bar listings: better world shopper

fp ('nother can o' worms)

Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How does the average wage and benefits package of an entry-level bike shop job compare to the entry level wage and benefit package at Wal Mart?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmugg View Post
    How does the average wage and benefits package of an entry-level bike shop job compare to the entry level wage and benefit package at Wal Mart?
    I bet it's on par. The real question is how many LBS owners make the money that Walmart does? Many LBS are just getting by for the love of bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Hey, here are the energy bar listings: better world shopper

fp ('nother can o' worms)

I'm going to walmart and buy power bars and inner tubes. I don't need either. I just feel like it...
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I bet it's on par. The real question is how many LBS owners make the money that Walmart does? Many LBS are just getting by for the love of bikes.
    I think it's unlikely that any individual LBS owner makes as much money as WalMart, which is a multinational company doing hundreds of billion dollars in business every year. That would be a really big bike shop if they did that kind of volume.

AZ
    banned
    I'm going to walmart and buy power bars and inner tubes. I don't need either. I just feel like it...

Don't forget to pick up baby oil.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast