Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Village Newbie
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The reality is you should fear your government more than wallyworld.

How does the Bell tire hold up to use? I don't see any reviews for the tire on here, pound on it for awhile and see if you can get a review made up. I'd try it if I didnt already do the tubeless setup. I dont have any decent backup tires for trail use, and since ChinaMart is closer than the LBS I wouldn't rule it out as a backup plan.

I've seen 1 or maybe 2- 29er tires on the shelf but never at the same time. I found it odd that WM doesn't carry presta tools/air gauges but yet they sell tubes with presta valves I got a pair of the Bell full finger gloves had to cut the thumb tip off due to seam rubbing.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    You"re right about the US government, it is easily the most feared regime in the world.

As for Wal Mart, they are just plain despicable, completely un-american and worthy of everyones scorn.

The tires pictured by the OP are found in other outlets.
    more than communist china? really?

the half breed devil
    You"re right about the US government, it is easily the most feared regime in the world.

As for Wal Mart, they are just plain despicable, completely un-american and worthy of everyones scorn.

The tires pictured by the OP are found in other outlets.
    unfortunately (for better or worse) those "other outlets" are far, far away from many.

i'm not defending wal mart. there's not one within twenty miles of my house and if there was, i wouldn't shop there. my ex girlfriend used to like to shop in the one that WAS in that twenty mile radius. god love the children, WHAT A SICKENING EXPERIENCE, every time. i have never, ever seen so many fat, ugly people in one place...

however, this is the united states of america. nobody is twisting your arm and forcing you to shop at wal mart (although maybe your wives/girlfriends are dragging you there against your will on a fine saturday morning)

in america, you have the choice to shop where you want along with being allowed to run your business the way you want so long as you adhere to certain laws and regulations.

personally, if i was on a road trip and desperately needed a tube or tire and could not find an LBS but WAS able to find a wal mart, i'd hit up the wal mart.

end of rant.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Lol at the Wally World activists.

Find me a better deal locally on ammo or oil (only things I buy there) and ill consider not going.

Nobody is holding a gun to their employees heads. If they had better educations and weren't rude as fawk maybe they could work elsewhere. In fact many seem quite happy to be standing around in circles not working or helping customers as they make minimum wage. Yup, guess I should feel sorry for them.

Until then, your agendas mean nothing to me, save it for a section of the forums that give a crap.
    You are missing the point completely. Your attitude is a manifestation of everything that is wrong in society today. People like you think that the homeless guy in the street is there because it his fault, he must of done something wrong and thats why he is there.

There is nothing wrong with being a shop clerk, we can't all be global acct managers or financial consultants or plumbers or electricians. Anybody with a full time job or a part time job are doing their part in the economy. They should not be subject to ignorant scorn.

What is scandalous is that these people are fully employed but live below the poverty line while Ma and ĘPa Walton sit on a growing fortune of $40 billion. And your tax dollars are going in part to support Wal Mart employees.

You should be more open minded and care not only about the natural environment but the social environment as well. The USA is the richest country in the world and there is no excuse for any one single american to be hungry or homeless. Wal Mart is part of the problem and not part of the solution and for that there is no excuse.

Always Learning
    What is scandalous is that these people are fully employed but live below the poverty line while Ma and ĘPa Walton sit on a growing fortune of $40 billion.

The USA is the richest country in the world and there is no excuse for any one single american to be hungry or homeless.
    I think you need to apply your argument to more than just Wal-Mart. Sure, they employ 1% of the US work force, but all other retailers combined (with similar wages) employ a lot more than 1% of the work force. Why not hound them as well?

The average Walmart "associate," Wake Up Walmart reports, makes $11.75 an hour. That's $20,744 per year. Those wages are slightly below the national average for retail employees, which is $12.04 an hour. They also produce annual earnings that, in a one-earner household, are below the $22,000 poverty line.

On the other hand, these wages are far above minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. They also aren't THAT FAR below the national retail average (only 2.5% below). In a two-earner household, moreover, these wages would produce a household income of $40,000+, which, in some areas of the country, is comfortably middle-class. Walmart offers benefits to some of its employees, as well as store discounts and profit-sharing plans.

Read more: Walmart Employs 1% Of America. Should It Be Forced To Pay Its Employees More? - Business Insider

The entire article is well worth the read.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I bought my Schwinn Sidewinder from Wal-Mart. It is not the best bike in the world, but is good as a more recreational bike so I don't have to use my muddied F9 (and eventually Cobia). Wal-Mart is terrible, I agree entirely, but the bikes there are good for a recreational secondary bike if you don't have over $500 to spend on two bikes.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    While wallmart may be evil, lots of impoverished Americans rely on them to save money on food. My guess is that most of what's in their cart is highly processed stuff in a box or bag but at least they have food on the table for their kids. Reality sucks.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    While wallmart may be evil, lots of impoverished Americans rely on them to save money on food. My guess is that most of what's in their cart is highly processed stuff in a box or bag but at least they have food on the table for their kids. Reality sucks.
    I have not seen the stats, but I bet it would be safe to say that the majority of youth bikes purchased in the US come from Wal-Mart as well. At least, if my neighborhood is representative, all but 1 kid (out of about 40 kids) is on a Wally World bike. And they all stop in my garage for tune-ups for some reason...

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I've been using one of those tires. I like it a lot. It's supposedly a CST Caballero. It was easy to install, and seems to be very durable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    I think you need to apply your argument to more than just Wal-Mart. Sure, they employ 1% of the US work force, but all other retailers combined (with similar wages) employ a lot more than 1% of the work force. Why not hound them as well?

The average Walmart "associate," Wake Up Walmart reports, makes $11.75 an hour. That's $20,744 per year. Those wages are slightly below the national average for retail employees, which is $12.04 an hour. They also produce annual earnings that, in a one-earner household, are below the $22,000 poverty line.

On the other hand, these wages are far above minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. They also aren't THAT FAR below the national retail average (only 2.5% below). In a two-earner household, moreover, these wages would produce a household income of $40,000+, which, in some areas of the country, is comfortably middle-class. Walmart offers benefits to some of its employees, as well as store discounts and profit-sharing plans.

Read more: Walmart Employs 1% Of America. Should It Be Forced To Pay Its Employees More? - Business Insider

The entire article is well worth the read.
    Wal Mart appears in the pages of this website for one reason or another. So my comments are restricted to Wal Mart. There are much bigger problems in society than Wal Mart but in its own way Wal Mart is an obvious example of the worst kind of corporate behaviour. And Wal Mart is guilty of much more than poverty line wages.

The Business Insider is a profit seeking publication, their profits come mainly from advertising revenues, it is not in their interest to upset the corporate elite. There is a banner riding across the top the website advertising billionaire.com. You have to be a mental genius to not know what Business Insider is all about.

Never the less I read the article, thanks for the link. It is a telling point in American society that the media publishes an article with such a headline. First it describes how the US has the largest number of unemployed ever, followed by a few general facts of the rich elite, Wal Marts sales figures, the effects of globalization, how much a Wal Mart worker earns and how that compares with the retail industry.

Then we get to the main event, the headline question coupled coupled with a few other questions like should the govt force them to pay better. The writer even points out that his purpose is not to provide definitive answers but to spur debate.

The article then says that before you answer the headline question here is something to think about and then the writer offers you reams of info on why it would be impossible for Wal Mart to pay more. In fact this section of the article is twice as long as the rest of the article and totally designed to guard the interests of the corporate elite. I would encourage everyone to read the article and see this for yourselves.

No mention of the fact that Wal Mart employees have to pay to join the benefits scheme or that said scheme is very expensive. No mention of unpaid over time. No mention that the Walton's are one of the richest families in the world.

Try to look critically at what the media presents.

banned
    Funny thread. I and mid 40's and make less then a Walmart employee at a LBS. I am fine with it. If I wanted to make more I would look for different work. We all have decisions to make, but in the end our life choices put us were we are.

Always Learning
    Try to look critically at what the media presents.
    I'm sensing you're not a fan of the new capitalism (Wal-Mart, Ikea, Microsoft, McDonald's, Southwest Airlines, etc...).

You might enjoy this as well....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Funny thread. I and mid 40's and make less then a Walmart employee at a LBS. I am fine with it. If I wanted to make more I would look for different work. We all have decisions to make, but in the end our life choices put us were we are.
    I think you'll find that the average Wal Mart employee makes a wage closer to the minimum level and not the figures quoted in that article.

Sometimes life choices have nothing to do with it. A handful of investment banks, a couple of insurance companies and a few ratings agencies later and 9 million people have lost their homes and another hundred million have lost their jobs. Not really a life choice that one.

Your Best Friend
    I like shopping at Walmart occasionally for things I need. No issues with their business model. Globalization is here to stay and Walmart is living the American dream.

One thing to watch for in the next year. I'll wager that we'll see Walmart and other big businesses limiting employees to 25 hours a week or less. No more full time workers. This eliminates the need for the employer to provide benefits under the Obama care plan. This is our employment future. If you don't have a stable, full time job with benefits now, you never will. The norm will be people with multiple part time jobs.

I say this because I see my employer (the US Government) already moving in this direction. All of our civilian employees who are part time have been permanently limited to 25 hours a week. They have been threatened with termination if they work more than that. This gives us a 5 hour buffer before we are required to give them benefits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Life choices have nothing to do with it? Ok....poor Wal Mart employees they are such giving, caring people with college educations. I guess bad luck put them where they are.

If people didn't choose to live outside their means or so close to max they wouldn't have lost their homes when things got tough. You likely blame banks for that, at the end of the day it's an uneducated decision made by the consumer. Years ago before the home loan crisis I was approved for an insane amount of "home" to afford. I went to another broker as I found what I was told highly irresponsible.

You seem to like to blame corporations, banks or governments, when did taking responsibility for your own life decisions leave the discussion? IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR GOVERMENT JOB, FIND ANOTHER JOB.

Nothing personal onenaotch, but your POV's are tiresome at best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I like shopping at Walmart occasionally for things I need. No issues with their business model. Globalization is here to stay and Walmart is living the American dream.

One thing to watch for in the next year. I'll wager that we'll see Walmart and other big businesses limiting employees to 25 hours a week or less. No more full time workers. This eliminates the need for the employer to provide benefits under the Obama care plan. This is our employment future. If you don't have a stable, full time job with benefits now, you never will. The norm will be people with multiple part time jobs.

I say this because I see my employer (the US Government) already moving in this direction. All of our civilian employees who are part time have been permanently limited to 25 hours a week. They have been threatened with termination if they work more than that. This gives us a 5 hour buffer before we are required to give them benefits.
    Luckily, other states have employers beyond Walmart and the Government ...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Can Wal Mart afford better wages? They are owned by a family of 5 worth $40 billion combined. So can they afford to pay better? Pretty rhetorical question don't you think?
    Lets see. 40,000,000,000/2,000,000 = 20,000. So if they give up their wealth, they can give each employee $20000, or about $10 per hour for a year. Then what?

Or, say, they just reinvest it in the business, and pay out added value to employees. Lets say it is 5% per year of the capital. That is a $1000 per year, per employee.

But that would mean that their capital is pulled out of wherever it is invested right now. $40B is a value of a company with about 200,000 employees? So those 200K people will lose their jobs (as their business loses investment), so as to give Walmart employee a $1000 per year raise.

No sure that the society will benefit as a whole.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Life choices have nothing to do with it? Ok....poor Wal Mart employees they are such giving, caring people with college educations. I guess bad luck put them where they are.

If people didn't choose to live outside their means or so close to max they wouldn't have lost their homes when things got tough. You likely blame banks for that, at the end of the day it's an uneducated decision made by the consumer. Years ago before the home loan crisis I was approved for an insane amount of "home" to afford. I went to another broker as I found what I was told highly irresponsible.

You seem to like to blame corporations, banks or governments, when did taking responsibility for your own life decisions leave the discussion? IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR GOVERMENT JOB, FIND ANOTHER JOB.

Nothing personal onenaotch, but your POV's are tiresome at best.
    I am not blaming anyone, just pointing out some facts and offering a critical view. You can probably find quite a few cases of people living outside their means contributing to the loss of their home but when 9 million and counting have lost their homes the issue is fundamentally bigger than that.

I am ok with my job and my pay and all of that. But I worry for my kids. This society that has grown up is not very pleasant anymore. Look at this thread, some of you think that if someone is down on their luck then it must be their fault and obviously if you work at Wal Mart you deserve everything they dish out.

There are many more things that are corrupt about Wal Mart besides their obvious feudal system and I hardly think people find feudalism to be the american dream. And if you really look at globalism, I mean really look at it you will find that it is not a dream but a nightmare.

As for the banks, after the crash of 1929 we never had a financial crisis until ronald reagan started to deregulate the finance sector. Since then it has been a series of ever increasing crises, each one getting worse. Savings and loans in the 80's, the dot com bust of the late 90's early 2000 and the biggest one yet in 2008.

I see HSBC has just paid a record $2 billion fine for money laundering but nobody is going to jail. Sounds like a huge fine but what do they care, for them its like getting a traffic ticket. I don't need to go into any details on this one as its all in the press right now.

Not only do banks get bail outs but they must have landed on community chest because congress is handing out Get of Jail Free cards.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I wonder what the labor rate should be for an position that requires no formal education, any critical thinking, and does not appear to require any type of dress code. It's not like these associates are asked to make decisions that impact the bottom line of Wal-Mart. They are asked to stock shelves, smile at customers, and direct them where to find what they are looking for.

My guess many of them would not be able to find a higher paying job which is why they are working there in the first place.

Could Wal-Mart pay them more, I'm sure of it, but why would they?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I am ok with my job and my pay and all of that. But I worry for my kids. This society that has grown up is not very pleasant anymore. Look at this thread, some of you think that if someone is down on their luck then it must be their fault and obviously if you work at Wal Mart you deserve everything they dish out.
    We do hear that every generation for ages. Yet somehow it actually does get better. Even Walmart employees do have access to education, leisure, personal growth opportunities, information, food and clothing etc. that is drastically better than ever before.

Sky is not falling (well, unless socialists indeed do take over and repeat the failed experiments of the XXth century.)

And care to explain how Walmart owners giving up their fortune will benefit anybody to any meaningful extent? I took a crack at numbers - got better ones?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    We do hear that every generation for ages. Yet somehow it actually does get better. Even Walmart employees do have access to education, leisure, personal growth opportunities, information, food and clothing etc. that is drastically better than ever before.

Sky is not falling (well, unless socialists indeed do take over and repeat the failed experiments of the XXth century.)

And care to explain how Walmart owners giving up their fortune will benefit anybody to any meaningful extent? I took a crack at numbers - got better ones?
    Remember, America has been going down the tubes for 30 years ... somehow, I think it'll all workout. I bet Walmart won't even seem that bad someday. Disclosure: I don't shop there and my county doesn't have one or ever will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmartin View Post
    I wonder what the labor rate should be for an position that requires no formal education, any critical thinking, and does not appear to require any type of dress code. It's not like these associates are asked to make decisions that impact the bottom line of Wal-Mart. They are asked to stock shelves, smile at customers, and direct them where to find what they are looking for.

My guess many of them would not be able to find a higher paying job which is why they are working there in the first place.

Could Wal-Mart pay them more, I'm sure of it, but why would they?
    Therefore if you are a worker performing a menial task, and a shop clerk is menial work but so what, you deserve to be in poverty. You are advocating slave labour. And that is exactly what Wal Mart has, a slave labour force so the owners can live the american dream.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post

You have got to be kidding. You think the US is not in trouble. The highest unemployment rate ever, there are cities of tents growing everywhere. Free education is disappearing faster than a speeding bullet and there has never been real healthcare. The streets of all major cities have armies of street people pushing shopping carts around. And you want to hold this all up as a shining example of the 21st century.

Nobody is suggesting that Wal Mart should give up its fortune just that they treat their work force like humans and get them off the poverty line and off social services.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Walmart is a sad and ugly place, it gives me the the creeps to shop there, but I have on rare occasion. It is the product of the decline of the middle class, on many levels. I am not against capitalism, just tasteless garbage.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by venturi95 View Post
    Walmart is a sad and ugly place, it gives me the the creeps to shop there, but I have on rare occasion. It is the product of the decline of the middle class, on many levels. I am not against capitalism, just tasteless garbage.
    "Walmart is a sad and ugly place"

x2

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast