mtbr member

Shaving equipment, lets talk...

I'm done with spending $15-$20 on razor cartridges. i dont even want to begin to know how much money they make off these things. being in the military i shave every day. the cost of replacing these things is getting ridiculous.

doing a little research it seems alot of people are using safety razors (single blade). you keep the handle and replace the blades (dirt cheap). its old school looking but seems to be worth a shot.

give me some ideas (NO ELECTRIC)
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Oh man are you in luck! There's a small segment of mountain bikers that are bat s*%t crazy about shaving: Slightly OT: Have a Passion for Shaving?

Nickel Havr
    Get lasered!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Badger & Blade - Home

found this and doing some research. the thread you linked seems like people are just in it to goof

mtbr member
    I gave up at least 15 years ago with the expensive cartridges. I use the green plastic bag of Schick disposables. I get the ones with the thumb button to push the crud out from between the blades.

Hmmmmm
    I looked into cartridges a few months back thinking it would be cheaper...
    Man was I wrong, the disposibles from Bic, Schick are better and cheaper per week.
    I'm currently using the Schick Extreem 3. I don't believe in the multi blade hype, but they give a great shave, are reasonably priced and seem to last awhile if you dry them after using them.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I get my cartridges at Sams Club and they are WAY cheaper than at the grocery store. $40 bucks I think will last me a whole year or so.

Machinist
    Shave head n face three times a week with 4 blade Gillette sensor but a catridge lasts me a month......disposables tear my head up!!!
    "Ya can't argue logic with ignorance.''

mtbr member
    I switched to electric a few years ago. Spend a benji or so on a decent shaver and it should last you a few years. Cheaper, faster and more convenient.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by adroit 96' View Post
    Shave head n face three times a week with 4 blade Gillette sensor but a catridge lasts me a month......disposables tear my head up!!!
    This, they also sell them buy the pallet full at Costco.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Lots of choices with safety razors and razor blades. You can find many safety razor choices on ebay. I've hit on a good combination using a 70 year old Gillette Super Speed and Feather brand blades available through Amazon.

Here's where it can get frustrating though, matching the blade to razor to your face can be a little frustrating and require some trial and effort. I initially began using a Merkur Long barber #38C razor with the Merkur titanium blades and they shaved fine, then I tried Feather blades and they nearly sliced my face off, literally 10 bleeding nicks per shave every time regardless of lather, brushing, or shaving technique. Very aggravating because Feather blades are some of the sharpest out there.
    Through a lot of reading online I found others complained about the same thing, a buddy loaned me his Gillette and I did some comparisons with some measuring instruments and found the Merkur exposed .5mm more blade than the Gillette. The Merkur also set the blade at a slightly flatter cutting angle. I shaved once with the borrowed razor and a Feather blade and got a perfect shave without any nicks. I was sold.

Got my pre-1949 Gillette from a guy on ebay for less than $20.00 delivered. Ordered a pack of 25 Feather blades and have been happily paying far less than cartridges for many months now. Hit on the right combo and you'll love it. Get a good brush and nice soap while you're at it, those canned foams and gels aren't great on your face. Some nice aftershave lotion is a smart thing too. Styptic pens are good to have also, you will bleed every so often.

Sorry for the long post. I could go on but suffice to say I'm pleased moving away from cartridges. In our mostly disposable society just the thought of shaving with a razor that's 70 years old makes me smile.

The Brutally Handsome
    Dude, you're in luck: Razor Gator - YouTube

mtbr member
    i have to shave 5 mornings a week unfortunately (mil)

mtbr member
    Waltah. I too got some safety razors off Ebay. Military right? PM your address. I will set you up with a Gillette, travel size "Small" 1950's safety razor, and fifty blades. Just use soap. After you get used to it, about 7 shaves you will never go back to plastic.

mtbr member
    thanks jim!