Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

This sh*t should not be tolerated here

Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    My sick mind read the title as "Woman Rides Fat Pole blah blah blah", opened thread and a new bottle of Nivea....would let her use my face as saddle.

Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Pot calling the kettle black...don't ya think BigVaj?
    Call-out, Report Post, or Neg-Rep if you Agree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Amen

mighty sailin' man
    not defending anyone, just trying to help

you can go to any members profile and add them to your ignore list. spare yourselves
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Nemophilist
    Well...

Not worth a thread. YMMV. Not really worth this post.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member

This sh*t should not be tolerated here

Not a fat biker, but I don't really care. The bottom line is under no circumstance should anyone be subjected to such objectification, especially in a sexual manner. I'm constantly left in a twisted mix of awe and disgust by how quickly someone is dehumanized to merely become an object of personal gratification (seen a cover of Cosmo or Maxim lately?) I expect it from some cultures, but not from the fun loving bike crowd. I suppose a few too many still have much growing up to do.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    not defending anyone, just trying to help

you can go to any members profile and add them to your ignore list. spare yourselves
    Thank you, I do appreciate the thought. Unfortunately, ignoring sexism does not make it go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Well...

Not worth a thread. YMMV. Not really worth this post.
    Thanks for helping keep it alive anyhow.

^^ and thanks Tex!

AZ
    banned
    A note to the admin. would probably accomplish more.

I find when I go out into the internets... ignoring things is the only thing that works... and I have to really work at it some days. Stop trying to control people and you might be much happier on the interwebs.

I find if I end up on a female-heavy website, there are tons of sexist comments about men... it seems it is only wrong when men do it though... or so goes the double standard.

Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    I agree. Thanks for speaking up about this.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    Not a fat biker, but I don't really care. The bottom line is under no circumstance should anyone be subjected to such objectification, especially in a sexual manner. I'm constantly left in a twisted mix of awe and disgust by how quickly someone is dehumanized to merely become an object of personal gratification (seen a cover of Cosmo or Maxim lately?) I expect it from some cultures, but not from the fun loving bike crowd. I suppose a few too many still have much growing up to do.
    I was thinking that maybe you were going a little far but I didn't care that much to argue and what do I know anyway, I'm just some dude... but I'll offer up that Cosmo is downright disturbing.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    pretty uncool, i cant believe this pervert just said all that in a public mtb forum where there is ladies hang out here.

its just messed up. cant see this person mounted to anything.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    I'm no prude. I'm not easily offended nor much given to political correctness BUT these juvenile, derogatory comments don't belong on the fatbike forum or any other forum dedicated to cycling topics. There are whole threads like this over in the Off Camber forum. It's no less distasteful there, but the "user beware" rule appears to have been in effect for some time, so it's kind of expected. I would like to see everyone with honest questions and good intentions feel welcome here, with an exception for calling BS on trolls and the like and calling out folks for crap like this.

Don't know what's going on with jonshonda. He used to make more positive contributions, but lately seems to be going for cheap wisecracks and shock humor. Lots of other places on the webs for that, compadre, let's keep it out of here, yes?
    The older I get the better I was...

A God Without A Name
    Let me preface my statement by saying I feel his comments are dull and vulgar. I really have no interest in anything he has to say.

Now that that is out of the way. People are going to be the people that they are, you can get mad at them for it. but you will always be mad. Learn to ignore them until they get themselves banned.

heck, help them get themselves banned. On a music forum I used to frequent I was the official Troll baiter. tricking them into breaking the rules so we COULD ban them.

It was fun.

if you can't get them banned, ignore them. if you can't ignore them, deal with it.

Maybe you've lived a pampered life with a gold spoon in your mouth and an ethnic minority to simulate maternal love for you. But the rest of us have worked retail at some point. and we've learned that slime, stupidity and vulgarity are very, very common in life.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Don't know what's going on with jonshonda. He used to make more positive contributions, but lately seems to be going for cheap wisecracks and shock humor.
    Maybe he's been hitting the bottle a bit more now that he has slid into fat biker life... then fumbling out some late night forum postings

Yeah, if it offends you then report it with the button supplied below every post. No point bringing it back up and shoving it in EVERYONES face, im sure there's a load of people didn't see it until now. So in my book you are just as bad for sharing it with us all again.

Its the interwebz, you are not going to like everything you read or everyone you meet, either put on ignore or grow some thicker skin.... some SNAKESKIN« (tyre technology tingles my wuzza)
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am in no way defending jonshonda, but by the same measure, starting a thread with a swear word, albeit asterisked, is also vulgar. Both jonshonda's comments and the OP's thread title allude to something uncouth, and this thread would have been just as effective if it were titled "this type of language should not be tolerated here".

mtbr member
    Misogyny sadly says more about a person's inadequacies than the statement they are making.

The main thing to remember is that there are some ladies who are members of this forum. Let's not turn them away by turning it into a self-romancing boys club.

The old rule applies, don't say it if you wouldn't say it to their face, and in this case it's a mixed audience.

Keep it clean and keep it pleasant.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57║36' Highlands, Scotland

Rogue Exterminator
    jonshonda just won. Yup, he beat you.

His post was intended to upset you, shock you, troll you.
    You just proved that it did but posting this.
    I mean not only did you quote it, you created a whole new thread for it.

What you should have done.
    1) Ignore him

Whether you do it by using the ignore feature or by just pretending you don't see him is no different but ignoring is the only option if people say something on the internet that you don't approve of. People don't perform if they don't have an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I expect it from some cultures, but not from the fun loving bike crowd.
    Why is a bike crowd any different?

Our "culture" has a wide range of all types and ages and the only thing we have in common is that we like bikes.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ...ignoring is the only option if people say something on the internet that you don't approve of...
    No, you can ask them to stop.

Ignoring is the next step - that's what the Ignore button does so effectively.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57║36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oh boy. Now you've done it. By complaining, weather right or wrong, you have fallen right into his trap. The only thing people that say those kind of things want is the exact thing you have given him, recognition!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    No, you can ask them to stop.

Ignoring is the next step - that's what the Ignore button does so effectively.
    True, but the place to ask him to stop is either in the thread that he made the offense or through a private message and the best way to do it is politely and without raising a stink and making a spectacle of it. By creating a whole new thread you put him in the spotlight.

Personally though, I could care less about what he said because it doesn't offend me.
    My skin is a lot thicker than that. Besides, I have probably said way worse anyways. I realize this is the internet and people are going to say what they want. People who are easily offended should probably not be online so much.

Anyways, it is supposed to be 70░ today so am heading out the door to go ride.
    I suggest some people here do the same thing.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rocking on a Rocky
    I got negative rep on some of my comments in the broken Rocky thread. It really hurt my feelings.

Moderator Moderator
    My thinking is we are a community here and we can collectively make it a better place that is welcoming to all - or not.

I did use the report button a week ago, but the post was not taken down. In the past, this has worked on other posts offensive to women, gays, etc. Maybe the admins are too busy with the spammers, I don't know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Call-out, Report Post, or Neg-Rep if you Agree.
    In the same manner as ignoring doesn't make sexism go away, neither does hostility towards the sexist. He may shut up or get banned but the problem doesn't go away - the effect is the same as looking away, except that the entire forum looks away from a banned person. Their opinions will not change, or if they do they might become negative towards equal treatment and equal rights for all.

I would rather suggest to send the person a polite and private message where you express support for a forum where a member of any group can feel welcome.

Key things:

1) Do it privately. If you've ever been criticized in public, you know first-hand that it raises shields.
    2) Do it politely. Same as above, hostile feedback only raises shields and prevents your message from reaching the other person.
    3) Instead of opposing something, focus on what you support. People react much better to that kind of signals.

If you're angry, take a break before writing and sending the message. Keep in mind that the other person probably meant no harm.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

Personally though, I could care less about what he said because it doesn't offend me.
    My skin is a lot thicker than that. Besides, I have probably said way worse anyways. I realize this is the internet and people are going to say what they want. People who are easily offended should probably not be online so much.
    I resemble that remark

Come back Jon Shonda, the dust has settled.

If anyone need some poz rep to lighten up the mood, let me know.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I for one think this thread has turned out to be useful since it has brought an awareness for members to post more respectfully. So not everyone is offended by the sexual content .. fact is some are.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast