Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Sexism against men at Sea Otter Classic

I’m writing to express my outrage at the 1st annual Ladies’ Day event at the 2011 Sea Otter Classic.

Both men and women have long been involved in sporting and recreational activities, including cycling, but there are no “Men’s Only” events. As I’m sure you’re aware, such a category would never be tolerated in today’s politically “correct” society, so why are the events coordinators at the S.O.C. allowing this double-standard?

There have been an increasing number of female biking enthusiasts over the years, to where they already represent a huge segment of cyclists on the roads and trails. For this reason, it is an abomination that the S.O.C. is “rolling out a special red carpet” for females and even giving them a free admission on Sunday, April 17th.

To Lorri Lee Lown, the coordinator of the “Ladies’ Day” event, and to all other women involved who might claim they are interested in equal treatment between genders, I wish to remind them that equality means equality, not special treatment to women, men or any other group.

It is indeed an act of sexism for the S.O.C. to hold a “Ladies only” event and it should be permanently removed from the Sea Otter Classic. I urge everyone to contact the coordinators of this event to protest it. http://www.seaotterclassic.com/index.cfm/ladies_day.htm

mtbr member
    May 2007
    wow, really?

ouch....
    Helping to make MTB events LESS of a sausage-fest. Geez why are you complaining?
    Riding.....

AZ
    banned
    You would think that the more women involved the better , kind of like "ladies night" you know .

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    Helping to make MTB events LESS of a sausage-fest. Geez why are you complaining?
    Maybe he likes sausage-fests.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Because females are getting special privileges at this event, that's why. It is blatant gender-bias and it doesn't belong in a public event. How do you suppose women would feel if they had "Men's Day" where men get in free and all the other goodies women are going to get at this event?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    You would think that the more women involved the better , kind of like "ladies night" you know .
    That's fine as long as they pay their fair share.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Didn't your daddy ever teach you to be nice to girls? Gender-bias? REEEEEALLY?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    Didn't your daddy ever teach you to be nice to girls? Gender-bias? REEEEEALLY?
    Being nice goes both ways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What do you mean "something I didn't do?" My post is a modified version of an email I sent to both the coordinator of the S.O.C. and the coordinator of Ladies' Day.

mtbr member
    As someone lucky enough to have found a cute Mtn Biker chick to spend my life with, I think events like this are great. Regardless of their growing involvement, the size of the female mtn biking community is quite small. My biker chick is really excited to even SEE another girl riding on the trail and would be very excited to attend an event designed to introduce female riders to one another. If it is likely to draw one extra rider to the sport or to an event (regardless of gender) then it is good for the mountain biking community as a whole.
    There are much more damaging issues to focus your energy on.

how many emails have you written whining about the lack of a white history month?

Assuming that you are both Caucasian, and Male... realize that you've got it pretty good, and no one is going to take that away from you in their attempt to build a community based on their own gender, race, disabilities, etc...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OH NO!!! Women getting special treatment because they are women?!?!?!?!??!

YES... because they are women.

SO

WHAT?

Where have all the gentlemen gone?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pritchett
    As someone lucky enough to have found a cute Mtn Biker chick to spend my life with, I think events like this are great. Regardless of their growing involvement, the size of the female mtn biking community is quite small. My biker chick is really excited to even SEE another girl riding on the trail and would be very excited to attend an event designed to introduce female riders to one another. If it is likely to draw one extra rider to the sport or to an event (regardless of gender) then it is good for the mountain biking community as a whole.

how many emails have you written whining about the lack of a white history month?

Assuming that you are both Caucasian, and Male... realize that you've got it pretty good, and no one is going to take that away from you in their attempt to build a community based on their own gender, race, disabilities, etc...
    *golf clap*

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

There are plenty of gender-issues that are worth worrying about, especially if you're a male. You're probably not even aware of the plethora of anti-male legislation in place. Most men aren't, until they become victims of it, that is.

I've never blogged about the non-existence of white history month.

The Ladies' Day event is simply another example of gender-bias against men in this country. It compliments the anti-male sentiment in our society along with male-bashing commercials, sitcoms, movies, anti-male legislation and gender-bias in the curriculums. I'm sorry you see Ladies' Day as nothing more than an attempt to bring women into the sport, but I visited the website of the woman who's coordinating the event and there is clearly a feminist agenda on her part. Where I ride, a huge percentage of cyclists are women and there is simply no justification for giving any group, male or female special privileges at a public function.

If someone wants to hold a private event and grant entitlements, that's fine, but not at an event that is open to the public.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    OH NO!!! Women getting special treatment because they are women?!?!?!?!??!

YES... because they are women.

SO

WHAT?

Where have all the gentlemen gone?
    Why should women, or anyone, for that matter, receive special treatment?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D.
    That's fine as long as they pay their fair share.

Yeah , you get it , NOT .

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah , you get it , NOT .
    I wish you did.

AZ
    banned
    Why should women, or anyone, for that matter, receive special treatment?

Because they are special, a gift that should be cherished, adored, held in the highest regard. Not to be treated like just some other guy. But I don't think you will get that either.

AZ
    banned
    Maybe he likes sausage-fests.

Might be something to this theory.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Because they are special, a gift that should be cherished, adored, held in the highest regard. Not to be treated like just some other guy. But I don't think you will get that either.
    You're either a woman with a princess and entitlement mentality or a hen-pecked eunuch. I think the latter. To put a woman on a pedestal is to say you have less value than they do.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of gender-issues that are worth worrying about, especially if you're a male. You're probably not even aware of the plethora of anti-male legislation in place. Most men aren't, until they become victims of it, that is.
    As a fan and reader of this blog http://roissy.wordpress.com/ I am well aware of the anti-male legislation with regard to divorce, paternity, domestic violence, sex crimes, etc... as well the betafication of the American male population promoted by the media and hollywood/advertisers. I am in no way a feminist and regrettably find myself a tad misogynistic at times. These are issues that are worth getting worked up about, no doubt.

I do not see how offering a female only sub event compares to any of this.

Male and female racers compete in separate categories in every cycling event that I'm aware of. Is this of concern to you as well?

I guess I have a "no harm, no foul" mentality about things like this, and I'm confused about your concerns. You can offer the "First they came for my Sea Otter event, but I did nothing..." argument, but I just don't see what's being taken from you or anyone else with a wiener by letting the girls play in their own corner every once in a while.
    Last edited by Pritchett; 02-24-2011 at 07:06 PM.

AZ
    banned
    You're either a woman with a princess and entitlement mentality or a hen-pecked eunuch. I think the latter. To put a woman on a pedestal is to say you have less value than they do.

Whatever you say sis. What's the matter , your mom didn't hold you when you were young ? Your hatred for women bleeds from every one of your posts . You might consider professional help before it is too late.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    As a fan and reader of this blog http://roissy.wordpress.com/ I am well aware of the anti-male legislation with regard to divorce, paternity, domestic violence, sex crimes, etc... as well the betafication of the American male population promoted by the media and hollywood/advertisers. I am in no way a feminist and actually consider myself to be quite misogynistic. These are issues that are worth getting worked up about, no doubt.

I do not see how offering a female only sub event compares to any of this.

Male and female racers compete in separate categories in every cycling event that I'm aware of. Is this of concern to you as well?

I guess I have a "no harm, no foul" mentality about things like this, and I'm confused about your concerns. You can offer the "First they came for my Sea Otter event, but I did nothing..." argument, but I just don't see what's being taken from you or anyone else with a wiener by letting the girls play in their own corner every once in a while.
    Well, I'm glad that at least someone on this post is aware of the anti-male sentiment that takes place in the courts system and Hollywood.

Unlike you, though, I am not a misogynist. In fact, I think the best way to respect women is to treat them like equals, as peers. Allowing them special privileges is not a gesture of mutual respect.

I've been to the website of the organization that is coordinating the event. Since you're so familiar with anti-male sentiment, her website should look all too familiar to you with her feminist rantings about sports.

OF COURSE there should be separate categories for men and women competing in the same sport. It should be obvious to any clear-thinking person why.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Whatever you say sis. What's the matter , your mom didn't hold you when you were young ? Your hatred for women bleeds from every one of your posts . You might consider professional help before it is too late.
    Oh, I see, so a man who dislikes inequities must have mommy issues or hate women, huh?

If you're a woman, I suggest you grow up. If you're a so-called man, I suggest you grow a pair.

mtbr member
    You're kind of being a jackass man. Just let it go, this is a non issue. You're not going to get your sausage party/women hating mob you're after.

Most of us are happy to invite more women to the sport.. and yes, we're fine with them getting "special treatment".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast