Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Seriously?

Developing Skillz
    I think it's a belief of it's own to beleave someone without seeing evidence and knowing how they got to that solution.

I'm just that kind of person who will resist till absolutely proven wrong. When I'm wrong I will admit it.

and I think that shoving ideas or teories down our childrens throat is very irresponsible. They should come to an conclusion by themselves so they completely understand why they are doing what they are. A child takes easily things as truth if it comes from his/her parents, and then it is a religion. (followed blindly)

I've been behind my opinin from the start even if I didn't make it clear enough on my first post. Climate change is coming no matter what. I think we didn't cause it, and don't think there's much to do about it, but we should prefer the nature favoring decision.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KK89 View Post
    I think it's a belief of it's own to beleave someone without seeing evidence and knowing how they got to that solution.

I'm just that kind of person who will resist till absolutely proven wrong. When I'm wrong I will admit it.

and I think that shoving ideas or teories down our childrens throat is very irresponsible. They should come to an conclusion by themselves so they completely understand why they are doing what they are. A child takes easily things as truth if it comes from his/her parents, and then it is a religion. (followed blindly)

I've been behind my opinin from the start even if I didn't make it clear enough on my first post. Climate change is coming no matter what. I think we didn't cause it, and don't think there's much to do about it, but we should prefer the nature favoring decision.
    Following that logic then we can't really teach much about anything. We know mostly why gravity works, with some details still eluding us. Should we then stop teaching the theory of gravity because we don't understand it completely yet? As you probably see, that is complete nonsense. Scientists don't disagree that global warming is man-made. 97% of them agree that it is. Acting and preventing the consequences of global warming (if it is still even possible) is the only way to avoid large scale catastrophes in the future. Nature cares little if humans exist or not, but we most definitely do, and if we want to exist as a specis in the future then we have to stop us from destroying ourselves.

Developing Skillz
    Time has proven gravity being right and it's more obvios that GW. You go outside and can't really say that GW has effected todays whether.
    GW isn't hundreds or thousands years old theory.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    Are you really trying to take this discussion to a personal level, or am I just misinterpreting your words ?

Concerning going against reputable scientific bodies ... They (his Government) locked Galileo up for doing exactly that when he proposed that the Universe did not revolve around the Earth, but instead revolved around the Sun

Suggestion,
    You believe what you want to believe, and I will believe what I want to believe ... Time will determine if the data thus far collected is worthy, or should be replaced with a better understanding of theory.
    If you want to give money to an organization in support of your belief, go for it.
    Just a thought.

Myself,
    I think more data is needed before we start tossing money around, and mandating that others throw money, at a belief.
    That we can effect an environmental change that is positive without full understanding is a religion to which I cannot curently subscribe.
    There was way too much pleasant fatbike talk not related to Mongoose while you were out. Now we can get our daily dosage of facetiousness and brick wall head bashing again.

Trying to compare climate deniers to Galileo? Really?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Seriously?

Quoted for preservation. This stuff is just too good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Time has proven gravity being right and it's more obvios that GW. You go outside and can't really say that GW has effected todays whether.
    GW isn't hundreds or thousands years old theory.
    And neither is gravity. We have only understood that properly for the last 70 years or so.

The rather frequent amount of tornados in the US lately could be signs of climate changes already occurring, but the worst is still expected to come in the future. We actually have time to prepare for it, and doing anything else would be foolish. It is very simple logic that changing one thing in a complex system have the posibility to create unexpected consequences, and this is exactly what we are doing by increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. Thinking that the amount of greenhouse gases doesn't affect the climate is simply denying reality.

Developing Skillz
    The extraordinary whether we've seen is indeed a start of climate change. I agree that we don't know all of physics to know what will happen when things change. I recently saw a documentprogram about hypercanes.. they said it reached a point where physics change. That I beleave could happen in any extreme conditions.

Preparation is a question of how you look at it. Do you stop polluting atmosfere. (If it would stop GW) or build houses to a highground and make them last an intense hurricane.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The best preparation is of course to prevent the problem from happening in the first place. But adaptations to the weather seems like the more realistic solution, since putting limitations on polluting industries will be met by fierece resistance.

Developing Skillz
    Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    The best preparation is of course to prevent the problem from happening in the first place. But adaptations to the weather seems like the more realistic solution, since putting limitations on polluting industries will be met by fierece resistance.
    Agreed. Chinese think they can pollute at least the same amount europe has all the way from Industrial Revolution to this day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Agreed. Chinese think they can pollute at least the same amount europe has all the way from Industrial Revolution to this day.
    The problem here is isn't the Chinese, it's the United States who refuse to sign any treaties governing the reductions of CO2. If they don't do it, why should the Chinese?

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sand Rat,
    I don't really understand you telling me that I need to present both sides of the story to my students. There are people who actually believe in global climate change and people who do not. Also, there are people who believe that humans are significantly contributing to climate change, and those who believe that humans have no effect. I present this to my students, but there really are not "2 sides" to this story. The "2nd side" seems to be nothing but speculation, and therefore is not truly a 2nd side. There is no data to support that humans are not significantly contributing/causing global climate change. The best theory that we have right now is that climate change is occurring and humans are playing the most important and dangerous role. This is how science works. You collect the best data possible, and interpret the data. With the overwhelming number of scientists interpreting the data and coming to the same conclusions, it would be foolish to present some sort of "other side" that is unsupported by any data that I have seen. What is so awesome about science is that theories can change over time. If we were to collect a large body of new data that supported the idea that climate change is not happening or that humans are not playing a VERY important role, then the international community of scientists would revise their theory. Theories can change over time as new evidence is collected. That is the beauty of science. As new technological advances and developments come about, we are able to sometimes collect even better data to help explain the phenomena in the universe around us. Science is not static. That is it's beauty. Ultimately, you can choose to believe whatever you want. That's fine with me. I'm sure we'd have a blast going for a ride on fat tires. I can agree to disagree with anybody.

KK89,
    Some of your comments don't really make much sense. "Shoving theories down children's throats"? Do you realize that a theory is essentially the most powerful argument that exists in science. A theory is not simply an idea. A theory begins as a hypothesis and stands the test of time as a result of multitudes of experimentation and data collection. Gravity is a theory. Oh no...here is another theory...Evolution. Yes, I teach the theory of Evolution in my classroom. Not only is it mandated by the state, but the theory of Evolution is the only sound scientific explanation as to how life changes over time. To teach any of the opposing "ideas" would be teaching religion, not science. I'm glad that we do agree that we need to be good stewards of the environment and do what we can to help the planet.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9