Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Formerly mtbnoobadam

Upset Say no to headphones...

So thanks to a headphoned jackass last night I'm going to have to be off my bike for a little while.

I was riding down a hill on a trail that winds pretty tightly through the trees. It's a great spot to haul ass because the corners flow well with eachother and have burms on the outside of them. As I round the first corner I notice another cyclist stopped on the side of the trail. I'm pretty close when I notice him there and I don't want to lock up the brakes and tear the trail up so I shout "coming up behind you!! On your left!" in hopes that he wouldn't pull out in front of me. Well...he did pull out right as I was like 10ft away from him. I swerved to avoid piling into his back at 20mph and the left side of my handlebars hit a tree and then my shoulder hit, stopping me completely. I would have been thrown off the bike but the way I was standing when I impacted the tree sent the nose of my seat straight up my ass

Right after the impact the dude that I swerved to miss pops his headphones out says he's sorry and rides off. I was in the worst pain of my life at that moment. It wasn't my hand or wrist which made direct impact with the tree, it wasn't my shoulder that made direct impact with the tree. It was my freaking @sshole. I was positive that the seat had torn it from the amount of pain I was experiencing. The pain was so intense that I actually started dry heaving because of it. After about 5 minutes the pain in my ass subsided. I gathered my stuff and got back on my bike. But there was another problem, I couldn't grip the handlebars with my left hand (impact side). I took it easy all the way back to the truck most of the time riding one handed.

This morning I can't even grip a glass of water with my left hand and my wrist is so stiff and in so much pain I can't even turn a freaking doorknob. Off to the doc I guess. This is gonna go over real well with my unit (I'm in the Army) since I'm already in physical therapy for a knee injury that happened because of my last spill on the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

KC Weekend Warrior
    Yeah, I have never understood why people would cut off one of their senses while riding...?

Heal fast.
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What an F'n arsehole. He didn't even stop to see if you were ok or to help you up? Man, I hope I never find myself in that situation. Get better.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

29er for life!!
    sorry about your crash man,that suck's

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ouch. Maybe you should've plowed straight into his back so he could break your fall. That's ridiculous just riding off with a quick 'sorry'.

Professional Speed Bump
    Dang. Sorry to hear.

When ever I see someone put earphones on before we head out in to the trails, I always let them know that it's not good practice to wear them on the trails.

Hope your injuries are not too serious.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    man that sounds like a real pita.
    should of smashed into him.
    headphones on the trail is just dumb
    its just like tards driving on the road, you swerve out of the way and they dont know how retarded they are and just go on the Merrily way

heal up quick

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    man...this is not gonna be a popular opinion....

but it's your fault you crashed - not his.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam
    ...so I shout "coming up behind you!! On your left!" in hopes that he wouldn't pull out in front of me. Well...he did pull out right as I was like 10ft away from him...
    although it would have been nice for him to hang around and see if you needed help...

hope your behyman is still intact....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I don't think headphones were the problem in this instance, it was the dummy wearing them.If someone speeding in a Ferrari runs over your dog, it's not the Ferrari's fault. I pretty much ride exclusively with headphones, I love music. But I'm also well aware of surroundings. I live in the desert too, which helps because I can usually see any other trail users well ahead of time (most often before I COULD hear them).

Do you drive with the radio on?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    That guy is a douch for taking off. Sucks to crash badly. Hope you get better soon. If it makes you feel better, blame someone else.
    Last edited by theMeat; 08-11-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

mtbr member
    There are helmet ear flaps that you can insert ear buds into, that allow ambient sound and music to be heard together. $10-$20.

Otherwise, yea... riding with headphones is stupid.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I don't think headphones were the problem in this instance, it was the dummy wearing them.If someone speeding in a Ferrari runs over your dog, it's not the Ferrari's fault. I pretty much ride exclusively with headphones, I love music. But I'm also well aware of surroundings. I live in the desert too, which helps because I can usually see any other trail users well ahead of time (most often before I COULD hear them).

Do you drive with the radio on?
    the music isnt the issue IMO its the noise isolating headphones that are, they are made so you cant hear anything besides the music. Standard ipod headphones you can still hear everything at the right volume, but most people are ignorant and just jack it up to 11.

music and headphones are okay, if the user is smart about it.

i had an experience with a guy fixing his skewer or something with his bose headphones in on a narrow path. i saw him so i stopped and waited for like 30sec (instead of saying MOVE B**ch) and he looked back and i scared the crap out of him, which i thought was hilarious and was my point. i didnt say anything and he probably didnt realize he couldnt hear anything, but he said sorry and moved.

sometimes texans are too nice

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with riding with headphones. Hope your cornhole heals up
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

mtbr member
    Some of our local trails actually have notices at many of the trail heads not to listen to music while on the trails (multi use trails). Some Aholes still do it.

You just can't ride and listen to music, whether on a trail or the road.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Listening to music is different than wearing headphones, for the same reason that's it's legal to drive a car with the radio on, but illegal to drive one with headphones on.

mtbr member
    Im not opposed to headsets but he should have been smart enough to look back before he took off, knowing he couldnt hear. But I would have hit him too.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    man...this is not gonna be a popular opinion....

but it's your fault you crashed - not his.

although it would have been nice for him to hang around and see if you needed help...

hope your behyman is still intact....
    Can you explain how it was my fault?

Huckin' trails
    I sometimes ride with earphones on, but never on the trails or anywhere else where I cannot see or heard people (car traffic, bike path, etc). And when I do, I only put music with constant, low frequency beat, such as Black eyed peas, and very low volume, just to help the part of my brain which is not being used for driving, riding and judgement not to Saturday on idle and then get full concentration on the road and everything around me... Pretty
    Much like snowboarding athletes and else... But it's kinda rare that I use them. Pretty much only for training.

But on the trails, I prefer listening to the sound of nature and the awesomeness if my bike flying down the hill

But that guy suck. Even without earphones.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    hey peter ...

mtbr member
    I have to agree with Chum. While I hope you heal quickly - the crash was your doing. You were assuming there would be nothing in your way and out rode your ability to stop. What if, instead of a biker on the side of the trail, it had a family with little kids and a dog? Or an old hard of hearing man walking down the hill? A pack of girl scouts? I don't know the trail you were on, but I've come across all the above riding down hills. When you go faster than your ability to see ahead, you put others at risk. Again, I hope you heal well - and I also hope you ride more safely next time. BTW - the guy you missed was an a-hole for taking off without offering assistance.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    by your own words:
    "in hopes that he wouldn't pull out in front of me"

you did not wait for eye contact, verbal confirmation...or him actually acknowledging your presence at all...

replace "he was wearing headphones" with "he was deaf".

would you still claim it was his fault if he was deaf?

The result is the same - he didn't hear you and you proceeded at your own risk

*yes, i do realize that being deaf is not a choice and wearing earphones is...but AFAIK headphones on trails are not illegal in your area.*
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I have to agree with Chum. While I hope you heal quickly - the crash was your doing. You were assuming there would be nothing in your way and out rode your ability to stop. What if, instead of a biker on the side of the trail, it had a family with little kids and a dog? Or an old hard of hearing man walking down the hill? A pack of girl scouts? I don't know the trail you were on, but I've come across all the above riding down hills. When you go faster than your ability to see ahead, you put others at risk. Again, I hope you heal well - and I also hope you ride more safely next time. BTW - the guy you missed was an a-hole for taking off without offering assistance.
    It's a newer trail that is pretty fast with some tech parts mixed in. In the past 3 months since it was built I've only encountered 4 other riders on it. So meeting up with a family walking with their dog, or an old man or girl scouts are pretty slim. On other trails that are more poplulated I definately go easy around corners because the chances of meeting another biker or runner are higher. But someone stopping on an obviously fast section of trail and not bother to pay attention to their surroundings before re-entering the trail seems like the cause here, not riding past the ability to stop.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    by your own words:
    "in hopes that he wouldn't pull out in front of me"

you did not wait for eye contact, verbal confirmation...or him actually acknowledging your presence at all...

replace "he was wearing headphones" with "he was deaf".

would you still claim it was his fault if he was deaf?

The result is the same - he didn't hear you and you preceded at your own risk

*yes, i do realize that being deaf is not a choice and wearing earphones is...but AFAIK headphones on trails are not illegal in your area.*

/\ This, sorry about the crash but your actions resulted in an avoidable accident. My two pennies.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    If you're passing someone stopped on the trail fast enough to injure yourself then, well....
    What if it was a hearing impaired rider (edit...like gaspforair said)? I know, it was a d o u c h e with earbuds, just sayin.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    /\ This, sorry about the crash but your actions resulted in an avoidable accident. My two pennies.
    So if you're driving down the road and come around a corner and someone lets say is distracted by their cell phone pulls out of their driveway in front of you it's your fault?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast