Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Formerly mtbnoobadam

Upset Say no to headphones...

So thanks to a headphoned jackass last night I'm going to have to be off my bike for a little while.

I was riding down a hill on a trail that winds pretty tightly through the trees. It's a great spot to haul ass because the corners flow well with eachother and have burms on the outside of them. As I round the first corner I notice another cyclist stopped on the side of the trail. I'm pretty close when I notice him there and I don't want to lock up the brakes and tear the trail up so I shout "coming up behind you!! On your left!" in hopes that he wouldn't pull out in front of me. Well...he did pull out right as I was like 10ft away from him. I swerved to avoid piling into his back at 20mph and the left side of my handlebars hit a tree and then my shoulder hit, stopping me completely. I would have been thrown off the bike but the way I was standing when I impacted the tree sent the nose of my seat straight up my ass

Right after the impact the dude that I swerved to miss pops his headphones out says he's sorry and rides off. I was in the worst pain of my life at that moment. It wasn't my hand or wrist which made direct impact with the tree, it wasn't my shoulder that made direct impact with the tree. It was my freaking @sshole. I was positive that the seat had torn it from the amount of pain I was experiencing. The pain was so intense that I actually started dry heaving because of it. After about 5 minutes the pain in my ass subsided. I gathered my stuff and got back on my bike. But there was another problem, I couldn't grip the handlebars with my left hand (impact side). I took it easy all the way back to the truck most of the time riding one handed.

This morning I can't even grip a glass of water with my left hand and my wrist is so stiff and in so much pain I can't even turn a freaking doorknob. Off to the doc I guess. This is gonna go over real well with my unit (I'm in the Army) since I'm already in physical therapy for a knee injury that happened because of my last spill on the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

KC Weekend Warrior
    Yeah, I have never understood why people would cut off one of their senses while riding...?

Heal fast.
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    What an F'n arsehole. He didn't even stop to see if you were ok or to help you up? Man, I hope I never find myself in that situation. Get better.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

29er for life!!
    sorry about your crash man,that suck's

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ouch. Maybe you should've plowed straight into his back so he could break your fall. That's ridiculous just riding off with a quick 'sorry'.

Professional Speed Bump
    Dang. Sorry to hear.

When ever I see someone put earphones on before we head out in to the trails, I always let them know that it's not good practice to wear them on the trails.

Hope your injuries are not too serious.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    man that sounds like a real pita.
    should of smashed into him.
    headphones on the trail is just dumb
    its just like tards driving on the road, you swerve out of the way and they dont know how retarded they are and just go on the Merrily way

heal up quick

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    man...this is not gonna be a popular opinion....

but it's your fault you crashed - not his.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam
    ...so I shout "coming up behind you!! On your left!" in hopes that he wouldn't pull out in front of me. Well...he did pull out right as I was like 10ft away from him...
    although it would have been nice for him to hang around and see if you needed help...

hope your behyman is still intact....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I don't think headphones were the problem in this instance, it was the dummy wearing them.If someone speeding in a Ferrari runs over your dog, it's not the Ferrari's fault. I pretty much ride exclusively with headphones, I love music. But I'm also well aware of surroundings. I live in the desert too, which helps because I can usually see any other trail users well ahead of time (most often before I COULD hear them).

Do you drive with the radio on?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    That guy is a douch for taking off. Sucks to crash badly. Hope you get better soon. If it makes you feel better, blame someone else.
    Last edited by theMeat; 08-11-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    There are helmet ear flaps that you can insert ear buds into, that allow ambient sound and music to be heard together. $10-$20.

Otherwise, yea... riding with headphones is stupid.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I don't think headphones were the problem in this instance, it was the dummy wearing them.If someone speeding in a Ferrari runs over your dog, it's not the Ferrari's fault. I pretty much ride exclusively with headphones, I love music. But I'm also well aware of surroundings. I live in the desert too, which helps because I can usually see any other trail users well ahead of time (most often before I COULD hear them).

the music isnt the issue IMO its the noise isolating headphones that are, they are made so you cant hear anything besides the music. Standard ipod headphones you can still hear everything at the right volume, but most people are ignorant and just jack it up to 11.

music and headphones are okay, if the user is smart about it.

i had an experience with a guy fixing his skewer or something with his bose headphones in on a narrow path. i saw him so i stopped and waited for like 30sec (instead of saying MOVE B**ch) and he looked back and i scared the crap out of him, which i thought was hilarious and was my point. i didnt say anything and he probably didnt realize he couldnt hear anything, but he said sorry and moved.

sometimes texans are too nice

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with riding with headphones. Hope your cornhole heals up
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

mtbr member
    Some of our local trails actually have notices at many of the trail heads not to listen to music while on the trails (multi use trails). Some Aholes still do it.

You just can't ride and listen to music, whether on a trail or the road.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Listening to music is different than wearing headphones, for the same reason that's it's legal to drive a car with the radio on, but illegal to drive one with headphones on.

mtbr member
    Im not opposed to headsets but he should have been smart enough to look back before he took off, knowing he couldnt hear. But I would have hit him too.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

although it would have been nice for him to hang around and see if you needed help...

hope your behyman is still intact....
    Can you explain how it was my fault?

Huckin' trails
    I sometimes ride with earphones on, but never on the trails or anywhere else where I cannot see or heard people (car traffic, bike path, etc). And when I do, I only put music with constant, low frequency beat, such as Black eyed peas, and very low volume, just to help the part of my brain which is not being used for driving, riding and judgement not to Saturday on idle and then get full concentration on the road and everything around me... Pretty
    Much like snowboarding athletes and else... But it's kinda rare that I use them. Pretty much only for training.

But on the trails, I prefer listening to the sound of nature and the awesomeness if my bike flying down the hill

But that guy suck. Even without earphones.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    hey peter ...
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sHjlM5A1jME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    I have to agree with Chum. While I hope you heal quickly - the crash was your doing. You were assuming there would be nothing in your way and out rode your ability to stop. What if, instead of a biker on the side of the trail, it had a family with little kids and a dog? Or an old hard of hearing man walking down the hill? A pack of girl scouts? I don't know the trail you were on, but I've come across all the above riding down hills. When you go faster than your ability to see ahead, you put others at risk. Again, I hope you heal well - and I also hope you ride more safely next time. BTW - the guy you missed was an a-hole for taking off without offering assistance.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    by your own words:
    "in hopes that he wouldn't pull out in front of me"

you did not wait for eye contact, verbal confirmation...or him actually acknowledging your presence at all...

replace "he was wearing headphones" with "he was deaf".

would you still claim it was his fault if he was deaf?

The result is the same - he didn't hear you and you proceeded at your own risk

*yes, i do realize that being deaf is not a choice and wearing earphones is...but AFAIK headphones on trails are not illegal in your area.*

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I have to agree with Chum. While I hope you heal quickly - the crash was your doing. You were assuming there would be nothing in your way and out rode your ability to stop. What if, instead of a biker on the side of the trail, it had a family with little kids and a dog? Or an old hard of hearing man walking down the hill? A pack of girl scouts? I don't know the trail you were on, but I've come across all the above riding down hills. When you go faster than your ability to see ahead, you put others at risk. Again, I hope you heal well - and I also hope you ride more safely next time. BTW - the guy you missed was an a-hole for taking off without offering assistance.
    It's a newer trail that is pretty fast with some tech parts mixed in. In the past 3 months since it was built I've only encountered 4 other riders on it. So meeting up with a family walking with their dog, or an old man or girl scouts are pretty slim. On other trails that are more poplulated I definately go easy around corners because the chances of meeting another biker or runner are higher. But someone stopping on an obviously fast section of trail and not bother to pay attention to their surroundings before re-entering the trail seems like the cause here, not riding past the ability to stop.

AZ
    banned
    by your own words:
    "in hopes that he wouldn't pull out in front of me"

you did not wait for eye contact, verbal confirmation...or him actually acknowledging your presence at all...

replace "he was wearing headphones" with "he was deaf".

would you still claim it was his fault if he was deaf?

The result is the same - he didn't hear you and you preceded at your own risk

*yes, i do realize that being deaf is not a choice and wearing earphones is...but AFAIK headphones on trails are not illegal in your area.*

/\ This, sorry about the crash but your actions resulted in an avoidable accident. My two pennies.

Yes, that's fonetic
    If you're passing someone stopped on the trail fast enough to injure yourself then, well....
    What if it was a hearing impaired rider (edit...like gaspforair said)? I know, it was a d o u c h e with earbuds, just sayin.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    /\ This, sorry about the crash but your actions resulted in an avoidable accident. My two pennies.
    So if you're driving down the road and come around a corner and someone lets say is distracted by their cell phone pulls out of their driveway in front of you it's your fault?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's a newer trail that is pretty fast with some tech parts mixed in. In the past 3 months since it was built I've only encountered 4 other riders on it. So meeting up with a family walking with their dog, or an old man or girl scouts are pretty slim. On other trails that are more poplulated I definately go easy around corners because the chances of meeting another biker or runner are higher. But someone stopping on an obviously fast section of trail and not bother to pay attention to their surroundings before re-entering the trail seems like the cause here, not riding past the ability to stop.
    Heal up....

But in this case you are mostly at fault....he is also somewhat at fault....

Him riding off is big time low end....

Unless you specifically clear a trail....you basically have to be able to stop, for anything else....

Kinda like the skiing rules.

Yes, that's fonetic
    So if you're driving down the road and come around a corner and someone lets say is distracted by their cell phone pulls out of their driveway in front of you it's your fault?
    Legally, no, but if you're hauling ass in a residential area and can't stop in time it would be something you could have avoided.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Depends but yes you are somewhat at fault...

But rather than make it a court case....the better rule is everyone has to do their very best to avoid a collision...

Since there is no speed limit, on a trail....you would likely be considered going to fast for conditions....ie narrow trail while passing someone.

He of course wasn't paying attention.

Just Ride
    I've not ridden with headphones yet. I have ridden with someone who was wearing them though. I see no real problem with it. Provided the person wearing the the headphones is paying attention to their surroundings.

Granted the guy should have turned to look before he took off. Also he should have checked to make sure you were ok before he continued on his way. But also, you should have slowed down. I wouldn't imagine passing someone on a singletrack fast enough to cause pain the event of a crash would be a wise idea, even if he wasn't wearing headphones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I ride probably one of the most congested bike trails to and from work everyday (Mt Vernon Trail through DC from just South of the Pentagon up to Arlington.

From what you describe in your story - sorry to say - but it's your fault.

Hauling ass around a blind corner, c'mon man. Running into someone from behind, totally uncool.

We all know there are plenty of idiots out there, but ultimately only yourself can keep you from having a wreck.

Headphones - sorry - don't agree with you there either. Wear mine all the time and have never had a problem hearing people.

Hope you get well soon, but no sympathy here. Sounds like you would owe the guy who rode off an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    ...Since there is no speed limit, on a trail...
    there is in the Bay Area (CA)....15 MPH

and actually rangers who hide in bushes with radar guns in some places....

ticket is around $400..

and no - i am not kidding...

let the open-mouth-total-disbelief begin

What does a bean mean?!
    Personally I'd say the 'fault' is kinda equal. The OP should've slowed down since he saw and understood the potential for conflict. But the headphoned rider should have looked back before pulling out into the trail, especially since he had his sense of hearing limited. He is also a d!ck for just taking off.

I don't wear headphones myself because part of the reason I'm out there is to enjoy nature, and the sounds are a big part of that experience.

In any event, it sucks you might be off the bike for a while because of this. But after your bum heals it'll just be a funny story. (There's a joke about how you really love your bike in there somewhere.)

AZ
    banned
    If you are speeding around a blind corner then yes you are. It's called "reasonable and prudent".

born to chill
    He was a jerk, however, you were riding out of control.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Brtrooper06 View Post
    Hauling ass around a blind corner, c'mon man. Running into someone from behind, totally uncool.
    I guess I should have been more specific. We met AFTER I came out of the corner on the straight right before the next corner.

Also what I'm getting from these replies is that even though a trail is so obviously built to ride fast I should ride it slow so as to avoid guys that don't bother to pay attention to their surroundings. So when guys on here always say "get out there and ride hard" they really mean "get out there and ride slowly and carefully because idiots that live in their own little bubble always have the right of way." I'm confused

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by COTarHeel
    I don't wear headphones myself because part of the reason I'm out there is to enjoy nature, and the sounds are a big part of that experience.
    This. But I think that everyone should be responsible of their own safety. OP should had slow down and the dude should had checked if anyone was coming before engaging the trail. OP did good by at least trying to avoid collision with the guy, but should have slowness down anyway, since it's is reponsability to ensure everyone and it's own safety. If we would have to bring this in court, it could take months to determine wether or not the OP is responsible or it's the dude fault, since automobile regulation dies not always apply to the bike on trails the same way it does on public roads.

But the OP will have learn a lesson the hard way and the other dude should get eaten by a bear he would not had hear coming from behind.

So like someone once said : "It's cancelled out".

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

born to chill
    I guess I should have been more specific. We met AFTER I came out of the corner on the straight right before the next corner.

Also what I'm getting from these replies is that even though a trail is so obviously built to ride fast I should ride it slow so as to avoid guys that don't bother to pay attention to their surroundings. So when guys on here always say "get out there and ride hard" they really mean "get out there and ride slowly and carefully because idiots that live in their own little bubble always have the right of way." I'm confused
    No, but you should ride with control over your bike. You were out of control, and were not able to react fast enough to deal with the situation.

edit: For example, replace that rider with just about anything imaginable. Rock... log... animal... someone with no headphones on... someone having a seizure...

Huckin' trails

Don't be confused. Just slow down when passing someone who cannot be 100% aware of the action you are taking and slow down when passing stopped people or incoming people. Just basic logical stuff.

David

What does a bean mean?!
    No one is saying to slowly cruise the whole trail, but when you SEE another user then yes, you should check your speed to make sure you're in total control to avoid things just like this. For the sake of the safety of you and the other user, and for the sake of maintaining good relations between mountain bikers and trail authorities.

AZ
    banned
    Where was "Crankout" when all this took place?

I guess I should have been more specific. We met AFTER I came out of the corner on the straight right before the next corner...
    [facepalm]
    tearing around a blind corner on a MUT is never a good idea
    [/faceplam]

it's all about the sight-lines.

i know it's hard to admit fault...but man...you were in the wrong here.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by COTarHeel View Post
    No one is saying to slowly cruise the whole trail, but when you SEE another user then yes, you should check your speed to make sure you're in total control to avoid things just like this. For the sake of the safety of you and the other user, and for the sake of maintaining good relations between mountain bikers and trail authorities.
    I've just never expected anyone to slow down because I was stopped on the side of the trail. For the most part nobody does, just a nod and they're on their way. But I do make sure to check and be sure nobody is coming before pulling back onto the trail and I guess I expected that everyone else would have the same sense. Lesson learned

Huckin' trails
    I've just never expected anyone to slow down because I was stopped on the side of the trail. For the most part nobody does, just a nod and they're on their way. But I do make sure to check and be sure nobody is coming before pulling back onto the trail and I guess I expected that everyone else would have the same sense. Lesson learned
    So now the butt hurt is gone ?

mtbr member
    you saw him and should have been prepared to react to whatever dumb **** he may do... ie...slow the hell down. it's not as if he popped out from behind a tree and you hit him...

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    So now the butt hurt is gone ?
    The butt hurt has been gone. It's just my wrist now

Huckin' trails
    The butt hurt has been gone. It's just my wrist now
    At least you still have one good hand to slap him behind the head next time you see him

Or install a clown horn to scare the **** out of him next time

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    At least you still have one good hand to slap him behind the head next time you see him
    I have no reason to slap him. It was my fault remember

Huckin' trails
    I have no reason to slap him. It was my fault remember
    That's true, so get the clown horn going then

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The kid sounds like a ******* for sure, but the crash was your fault. You awknowledged something that could have been a danger then chose NOT to get on the binders and do everything in your power to avoid the situation. Still should have used hill to break the fall instead of your seat. Why do you hate your rectum?

What does a bean mean?!
    Unfortunately, expecting everyone else to operate with common sense can be a gamble, as you've learned... Now ice that wrist and get back on the trail!

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    That's true, so get the clown horn going then
    A clown horn wouldn't work since he was wearing headphones.

I like turtles
    I can't stand when people wear them on group rides - you can't communicate at all. I personally can't wear them b/c it goofs up my rhythm. But, if you want to wear them, its your business and right to do so. Its also my business and right to stick my seat post up your @ss if you make me wreck b/c you couldn't hear what was going on around you. With that being said, it sounds like you had some fault in this for wizzing by him without fully knowing if he knew you were there. Screaming "ON YOUR LEFT" doesn't by default shift all the blame onto the other rider. To me, anyone downhill from you has the right of way b/c they can't see you and you have the ability to stop, regardless if it goofs up your run or annoys you.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 08-11-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I'm really sorry about your crash, and I hate seeing earbuds on the trail (not just bikers, but trail runners too), but the OP's behavior is exactly what gets trails closed to bikes. I'm going to use a car analogy here. If you're following too close to someone on a roadway (not giving enough car lengths of space for the speed you are traveling), and they suddenly slam on their brakes for no reason causing you to rear end them, it is your fault. What if a kid or dog ran out in front of them? By the letter of the law, you are always at fault whenever you rear end someone. It doesn't matter if they suddenly pulled in front of you. If you hit the back of their car it's coming out of your insurance. To be safe, never assume anything, unless it's to assume another person will do the dumbest, most irrational thing possible. It sounds like you even thought in your head he might pull out in front of you. Err on the side of caution. You'll usually come out on top.

I know this is being harped on a lot, but I believe this is important because this is the beginner forum and a lot of people don't know proper trail etiquette. On multi-use trails, bikers yield to everyone, horses and hikers, as well as uphill bikers. You cannot expect anyone to get out of your way or not jump out in front of you. You cannot buzz hikers and families. You cannot ride beyond what is reasonably safe on a multi-use trail. Doing this gives bikers a bad name and WILL get trails closed to us. Whenever you see someone, you need to slow down and pass them at a safe speed. In most places, this isn't just encouraged, it's the LAW. Rangers have been known to crack down. I love to go fast and get my flow on as much as the next guy, but your flow is not more important than someone else's safety.

To the point of earbuds, I see many trail runners that cannot hear you coming up on them. I have no choice but to come up on them at a slow crawl, and repeatedly ask to pass as loud as I can. Usually they'll get spooked and jump right in front of me, but I'm expecting this and am going slow enough to avoid a collision. This is just a part of riding on shared trails. If you're not at a dedicated downhill resort you need to get used to this. What would you do? Run them over?
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So thanks to a headphoned jackass last night I'm going to have to be off my bike for a little while.

I was riding down a hill on a trail that winds pretty tightly through the trees. It's a great spot to haul ass because the corners flow well with eachother and have burms on the outside of them. As I round the first corner I notice another cyclist stopped on the side of the trail. I'm pretty close when I notice him there and I don't want to lock up the brakes and tear the trail up so I shout "coming up behind you!! On your left!" in hopes that he wouldn't pull out in front of me. Well...he did pull out right as I was like 10ft away from him. I swerved to avoid piling into his back at 20mph and the left side of my handlebars hit a tree and then my shoulder hit, stopping me completely. I would have been thrown off the bike but the way I was standing when I impacted the tree sent the nose of my seat straight up my ass

Right after the impact the dude that I swerved to miss pops his headphones out says he's sorry and rides off. I was in the worst pain of my life at that moment. It wasn't my hand or wrist which made direct impact with the tree, it wasn't my shoulder that made direct impact with the tree. It was my freaking @sshole. I was positive that the seat had torn it from the amount of pain I was experiencing. The pain was so intense that I actually started dry heaving because of it. After about 5 minutes the pain in my ass subsided. I gathered my stuff and got back on my bike. But there was another problem, I couldn't grip the handlebars with my left hand (impact side). I took it easy all the way back to the truck most of the time riding one handed.

This morning I can't even grip a glass of water with my left hand and my wrist is so stiff and in so much pain I can't even turn a freaking doorknob. Off to the doc I guess. This is gonna go over real well with my unit (I'm in the Army) since I'm already in physical therapy for a knee injury that happened because of my last spill on the bike.
    so, you were going too fast to control yourself, and blame it on someone else for their hearing deficiency, self imposed or not. would you have prefered this all happen if he were deaf? shut up and go back to licking your wounds and learn to use your brakes. do not blame another for YOUR mistake.

CT3
    Hoodwink
    . I'm pretty close when I notice him there and I don't want to lock up the brakes and tear the trail up
    why was the priority put on the trail? stopping and avoiding the crash or smashing into the rider should of been. if you stopped in time but messed up the trail, you could of set the bike aside and fixed it... and you bunghole would be a virgin still

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I can't stand when people wear them on group rides - you can't communicate at all. I personally can't wear them b/c it goofs up my rhythm.
    Agreed, it's rude on group rides - shoot, it's rude whenever you're interacting with people (like checking out at a store for instance). I usually pull one earbud out if I'm gonna pass someone on the side of the trail in case they need help or are gonna say something.

I find it helps my rhythm, adds motivation on climbs and gets me amped on descents and features.

A little bit of this goes a long way when it's 100 degrees, no shade in sight, and the top of the hill is still wayyyy off in the distance.

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B62-89EdBR0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B62-89EdBR0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomous View Post
    shut up and go back to licking your wounds.
    oooooohh internet tough guy

The Internet Toughguy - YouTube

born to chill
    oooooohh internet tough guy

The Internet Toughguy - YouTube
    He said it in kind of a ******bag way, but he did have a valid point. How different would this have been had the guy been deaf, or just not heard you?

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by flowmaster View Post
    He said it in kind of a ******bag way, but he did have a valid point. How different would this have been had the guy been deaf, or just not heard you?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if a deaf person were to be out riding his mountain bike on a trail that person would be visually aware of their surroundings (probably more so than you or I) and LOOK to make sure that nobody is coming down the trail before re-entering.

As for not hearing me. Well that was the case because he had headphones in his ears

I've learned my lesson. Slow down and don't assume that people are going to pay attention to what the hell is going on around them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if a deaf person were to be out riding his mountain bike on a trail that person would be visually aware of their surroundings (probably more so than you or I) and LOOK to make sure that nobody is coming down the trail before re-entering.

As for not hearing me. Well that was the case because he had headphones in his ears

I've learned my lesson. Slow down and don't assume that people are going to pay attention to what the hell is going on around them.
    I will agree that he should have looked before getting on the trail, but that doesnt make it his fault.

mtbr member
    Most people like to blame the guy with the rant here. I think you can take the lesson of slowing down when passing other people but I really don't blame the OP for the accident. I'd be pissed off too. The other rider clearly didn't look back onto the trail before re-entering. Whether he had headphones in or not, that puts the blame squarely on him.

Think about this. If the OP didn't swerve and the collision happened, then the other rider was the one who came in here with the story.

"I was out riding on a fast section of singletrack and had my headphones in, turned up loud enough so I didn't have to hear anyone and I could just zone out and enjoy the ride. I stopped on the side of the trail to switch to the next song on my ipod. When I rolled back into the trail some dude slammed into me! What the hell. I didn't look behind to see if anyone was coming, I was too pumped about the song I was listening to!"

How much **** would everyone have given that guy? He sure as hell wouldn't be the victim some people are trying to make him into.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gasp4air View Post
    i have to agree with chum. While i hope you heal quickly - the crash was your doing. You were assuming there would be nothing in your way and out rode your ability to stop. What if, instead of a biker on the side of the trail, it had a family with little kids and a dog? Or an old hard of hearing man walking down the hill? A pack of girl scouts? I don't know the trail you were on, but i've come across all the above riding down hills. When you go faster than your ability to see ahead, you put others at risk. Again, i hope you heal well - and i also hope you ride more safely next time. Btw - the guy you missed was an a-hole for taking off without offering assistance.
    +1 .

Just Ride

I don't really care. I've yet to wear mine while riding, but they are headphones, not ear buds and make me hot. When fall rolls around though, for sure I'll be jammin out there!

Professional Speed Bump
    mtbnoobadam,

Don't pay attention to these guys. They always like to play the devil's advocate.

The guy was off the track, you were on it. He pulled out on to the track without paying attention. It's his fault for the crash.

The only thing is, you didn't crash in to him so he bears no responsibility. That's about it.

Next time, just smack right in to them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah, these "what if it were a deaf guy" arguments don't make sense to me. Being deaf doesn't excuse you from being safe and taking necessary precautions. That said, I'm of the opinion that they share blame for the accident. You can't put it all on OP because had this idiot done the right thing, the accident wouldn't have happened.

The Lincoln Woods Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post

I agree 100% I ride with headphones , but I ride with them at low volume so I can still hear what's going on around me.
    "I push bike up and ride it down"

T.W.O.

Sorry you got hurt but it's your action that took you off your bike for a while

That Bold part was all it took for me to put you at fault. Winding descend tightly through the trees, and it's your idea of a great place to haul ass at 20mph?

People stop on a different parts of the trail for different reasons, there's no obviously fast section unless it's a super technical and you need momentum. It's you who's are not bother paying attention to the rider who stops on the trail and slow down. The rider was in front of you and you had no confirmation to pass, either way it's your fault unless you are in the race.

Now you just escalate the your story from bad to worse, from the top; you had plenty of time to brake before the next corner but did not want to interrupted your flow so you made a choice to pass, sadly it was the wrong choice for you.

It's hard to say because it was only a few seconds that you have him on your sight, plenty of time to brake or slow down. You assumed that he just took off without looking, what if he looked a few seconds before you came haulin' around the tight corner and saw that it was clear and took a few more second to continue the ride, he didn't expect someone to shoot out of the corner acknowledge him and not slow down. He expected that everyone else would have the same sense as well, common sense. Lesson learned.

Can you explain how it's not your fault?

If you don't have any commonsense and like to take selected suggestion you should not be out on a MUT you should be a a bike park there you can "be all you can be"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon View Post
    mtbnoobadam,

Don't pay attention to these guys. They always like to play the devil's advocate.

The guy was off the track, you were on it. He pulled out on to the track without paying attention. It's his fault for the crash.

The only thing is, you didn't crash in to him so he bears no responsibility. That's about it.

Next time, just smack right in to them.
    Not so. The headphone guy's actions were definitely not the smartest if he couldn't hear someone asking to pass and jumped back on the trail without looking. He contributed to the incident, but it doesn't excuse reckless behavior on a multi-use trail. He's also a d-bag for not stopping to see if OP was OK or offer assistance. Read my previous response. I'd definitely be irritated, but it sounds like the OP even expected the guy might get back on the path in front of him, yet continued on at speed because he "hoped he would not do so." As mountain bikers we just need to be sure that we're all being good ambassadors for the sport out there, and not giving hikers and equestrians more reasons to ban us from trails. You can still go fast, but just make sure you're riding in control and can stop fast enough. I always slow down a lot for anyone I pass (even on super wide trails), then speed back up again after passing. I also try not to carry a ton of speed into blind corners. I think it's important that everyone knows the rules of the trail. We all have to share out there.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I, too, agree 100%

As mountain bikers who share the trail with ALL KINDS of hazards - it's our personal responsibility to be aware of everything and use those little things at our finger tips called "brake levers", when in doubt.

My trails are sometimes empty, sometimes packed. Packed with weekend warriors, small children, dog walkers, trail runners, horses and other riders and I just can't go blazing through trails expecting them to move. I view all others, even other riders, as clueless.

Blind turns? Tight areas? Horses? Headphone riders? I ride 5 days a week averaging 100 miles a week, and not once have I had a collision. Wait, I did crash into some bushes and that was my fault for not slowing down at a blind switchback when another rider was approaching - didn't touch him. Completely my fault for riding like an idiot.

Sorry you bit the dust, but every rider must take responsibility for him/herself and understand the dynamics of trail awareness.

I ride with music, but cut off one side and listen at half volume.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Need to introduce that rider with the headphone to the world of x-mini speakers. I use it on my trail rides, it's good for music on the go plus it's also loud enough so that other riders will hear me incoming on a blind spot. Beat the he'll out of my Santa bells that I use to wear on my wrist last time to warn people.

X-mini : Sound Beyond Size

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post
    Not so. The headphone guy's actions were definitely not the smartest if he couldn't hear someone asking to pass and jumped back on the trail without looking. He contributed to the incident, but it doesn't excuse reckless behavior on a multi-use trail. He's also a d-bag for not stopping to see if OP was OK or offer assistance. Read my previous response. I'd definitely be irritated, but it sounds like the OP even expected the guy might get back on the path in front of him, yet continued on at speed because he "hoped he would not do so." As mountain bikers we just need to be sure that we're all being good ambassadors for the sport out there, and not giving hikers and equestrians more reasons to ban us from trails. You can still go fast, but just make sure you're riding in control and can stop fast enough. I always slow down a lot for anyone I pass (even on super wide trails), then speed back up again after passing. I also try not to carry a ton of speed into blind corners. I think it's important that everyone knows the rules of the trail. We all have to share out there.
    ^^This is a good advice Cpt J, don't fuel the rage to the guy who has selected reasoning as he'd take your advice for it. I'm with being a good ambassador on the trail to prevent closure. If you want to go as fast as you can and max your thrill of riding try night riding. I bet in the middle of the night there's no one on the trail. A 12mph would feel like a 20mph.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    ^^This is a good advice Cpt J, don't fuel the rage to the guy who has selected reasoning as he'd take your advice for it. I'm with being a good ambassador on the trail to prevent closure. If you want to go as fast as you can and max your thrill of riding try night riding. I bet in the middle of the night there's no one on the trail. A 12mph would feel like a 20mph.
    Night riding would be great but since my 15 month old daughter has to be hooked up to dialysis at that time I kinda need to be around. I wish I could ride at night to escape some of this texas heat.

Night riding would be great but since my 15 month old daughter has to be hooked up to dialysis at that time I kinda need to be around. I wish I could ride at night to escape some of this texas heat.
    sorry to hear - hope she will be OK (seriously)

I've got 2 lil' ones and just about the only time i get to ride is at nite.

and hey - how many days are you in a row for the heat wave. I lived near Dallas in '80 when it was over 100 for 42 days in a row....

purty sure this one is close to breaking that record...

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    sorry to hear - hope she will be OK (seriously)

I've got 2 lil' ones and just about the only time i get to ride is at nite.

and hey - how many days are you in a row for the heat wave. I lived near Dallas in '80 when it was over 100 for 42 days....

purty sure this one is close to breaking that record...
    She'll be fine once she's big enough to get one of my kidneys. 30lbs

Last count I heard it was at 55 days at 100+. That was last week sometime.

She'll be fine once she's big enough to get one of my kidneys. 30lbs
    YAH!

Last count I heard it was at 55 days at 100+. That was last week sometime.
    OOK!

edit: y'all actually break the record in couple days:
    as of 8.9.2011
    "A heat advisory remains in effect for much of Texas, including Dallas, which as of Monday afternoon had experienced 38 consecutive days of triple-digit heat.

With no relief to the extreme weather in sight, the city could soon break its 1980 record of 42 days in a row of 100-degree temperatures, AccuWeather.com said."

i remember playing baseball when it was 117....

T.W.O.
    Sorry to hear about your little one, hope she feels better soon.

Night ride is awesome as the light is getting cheaper and more powerful. On some trail I can ride the same speed as the day ride but twice the fun. You can get some serious sensory overload and thrill on the night ride. Btw, never do a night ride alone, just not a good idea.

On a certain trails I choose not to turn on the light and let my night vision do its work, it's even more fun, you'd be surprise how much you can see with your night vision at night on the trail.

mtbr member
    You should be in control of your bike at all times.... Maybe next time it will be a deer or a small child who cant ride well... If you cant control your bike, youre going to fast or lacking in skill....

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    edit: y'all actually break the record in couple days:
    as of 8.9.2011
    "A heat advisory remains in effect for much of Texas, including Dallas, which as of Monday afternoon had experienced 38 consecutive days of triple-digit heat.

With no relief to the extreme weather in sight, the city could soon break its 1980 record of 42 days in a row of 100-degree temperatures, AccuWeather.com said."

i remember playing baseball when it was 117....
    I guess my company commander was wrong haha who knew that could happen lol

It's not so much just the heat that sucks, it's the heat combined with the humidity that really sucks the life out of me on a ride. I'm originally from eastern WA but stationed in TX for now. Up there during the summer it gets hot but at least its dry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    There was a kid riding around my house with a pair in last night, almost hit my wife, child, and myself...

but he seemed a little ignorant... i say headphones are legit, but only use 1 ear bud if your riding

RideDirt
    Hey OP no worries man , I understand where your coming from . People need to get the fuk out of the way , we are on acres of fields , so move off the damn tracks people . So many times I have almost rolled over people cuz they are stopped in the middle of the tracks . Second , the tracks are built for all ages and speeds , so ride as you please man as long as we all do it safely . The dumbass def should have looked around before entering the track , that's like people merging on highways without yielding .hopefully you have recovered , I would of been fuking pissed at the dude if that happened tO me lol ..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    First off, sorry you were injured. That sucks.

Secondly, the person who is overtaking is the burdened person. It is your responsibility to pass safely. But then it is also the person who is being overtaken responsibility to maintain course and speed, same or slower.

Third riding with head phones on a public trail is stupid and can result in this type of conflict.

Finally, a trail is made to be ridden. It is not "made to be ridden fast." It may be fast by nature but it is still just a trail. My fast is likely way too fast for some and too slow for others. I have never seen minimum speeds posted on a trail.

The ****** who cut you off should have looked first. You should have been going a speed that left you options if he changed his line. If you go into a move with only one option you are going to get stung by your choice.

JMHO
    Tight + Twisty = Tasty
    Earn your turns!

T.W.O.
    There's nothing wrong with listening to music on the trail and if ones prefer to listen to music I'd rather have them in their ear(s) than sharing with with the rest of us. One ear is the best way on the trail. I'm surprise that companies are not doing one for sports, it would be easier than doing stereo.

I find that music is more beneficial on the climb than descend. It keeps the intensity up and distract me from the pain, but the same kind of music would disturb the flow on the descend when the mantra should be "Smooth" regardless of how fast I travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I see it as the OP's fault. He keeps talking about common sense for looking before starting but how about common sense if you see someone stopped on the trail in front of you, you slow down and pass safely instead of going as fast as you can hoping everyone will get out of your way.

And I have learned that "on your left" means nothing to people. Half the time I say that the person will move to the right and I will have to say "on your other left".

I know that if I am stopped on a trail and a guy comes flying down a strait section of trail and can see me and speeds up and hits me or almost hits me I am going to be pissed. The guy wasn't even moving there is no reason for a crash in this senerio.

mtbr member
    I ride with headphones. I get looks from people sometimes when im putting them on.

Thing is, I have cut off one of the ear pieces and only ride with ONE bud in. I also keep the volume to a level that does not stop me from hearing things around me.

Look, I ride the same trail 80% of the time due to convenience and time. Having music really helps me step up my training levels on a trail that otherwise would be same old same old to me and make it hard to push myself really hard.

Ive never had a problem hearing someone looking to pass and I get passed a lot, believe me.

The big kicker here is that fact the dude didnt stop to ensure you werent seriously injured, I mean my God.

Hope you get better soon my friend.

Axe
    Custom User Title

Indeed. One has to assume that whoever is in front of you is blind, deaf, and schizophrenic. There is no hope they will act as you expect them. Even normal people get startled and jump in odd directions, headphones or not.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by brent878 View Post
    I see it as the OP's fault. He keeps talking about common sense for looking before starting but how about common sense if you see someone stopped on the trail in front of you, you slow down and pass safely instead of going as fast as you can hoping everyone will get out of your way.

And I have learned that "on your left" means nothing to people. Half the time I say that the person will move to the right and I will have to say "on your other left".

I know that if I am stopped on a trail and a guy comes flying down a strait section of trail and can see me and speeds up and hits me or almost hits me I am going to be pissed. The guy wasn't even moving there is no reason for a crash in this senerio.
    First of all make sure you read and understand what you are reading before putting your 2 cents in. He wasn't on the trail, he was off to the right of the trail.

When you say "on your left" that means you are passing on the their left side so for them to move to the right would be the correct action for them to take. You must be one of those "special" people that move in the direction that the overtaking person says they are passing on.

And finally the collision almost happened because he re-entered the trail without looking to make sure it was clear. Thats all. Thanks for your opinion though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the.rebot View Post
    Yeah, I have never understood why people would cut off one of their senses while riding...?

agreed, i stopped wearing headphones when riding/running a long time ago. too dangerous for myself and others.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    sucks man, hope you get better soon......people will ignore me sometimes when i yell, thinking its fine that they ride 5mph on the single track...which it is, but please move when someone is coming up and yelling which way they going.

i do wear headphones...but i only put 1 side in so i can hear everything going on around me.......give it maybe 30% volume at the most.

I even wear them when im on the road bike...again, i only use 1 side and at very low volumes.

I have a few different pairs of ear buds and IEM (Inner Ear Monitors, Shure SE530s). I would never ever ever use IEM riding. You would never be able to hear anything....im sitting here right now with my 530s in my ears and i cant hear a thing...even with no music playing.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HighLife420 View Post
    people will ignore me sometimes when i yell, thinking its fine that they ride 5mph on the single track...which it is, but please move when someone is coming up and yelling which way they going.
    If somebody would yell at me on a trail, I will make sure that I stop and ask him to explain what the hell is wrong.

mtbr member
    whats the big deal with yelling? i was taking a breather on the side of a trail and heard someone coming up behind. he shouted "2 behind" real quick. i acknowledged.

all good

communication is good for you.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I like all the automotive analogies but I think you guys may be a tad off course. You are comparing it to if he were driving his soccer dad suburban down main street USA. I compare more to someone racing their spec miata around a road course, the other driver (rider) had a issue of some kind (mechanical/mental/wahtever) and pulled to the side (off track) to see to said issue. The OP carried speed through a chicane (blind as it may be) to gather speed into the next section, the other driver didnt bother to look before returning onto the racing surface.

Now yes, if this is a multi purpose trail where there may very well be hikers or other people much slower than a bike on the trail then you shouldnt be hauling balls, but if this is a specific bike trail then feel free to get after it, anyone else should either be moving fast enough to stay out of your way, be aware enough of their surroundings to get out of your way, and not purposely put themselves into a posisition where they could easily be hit by a speeding bicycle (i.e: not looking before pulling out onto the trail.). Didnt your parents ever teach you guys to look both ways before crossing a street?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    I like all the automotive analogies but I think you guys may be a tad off course. You are comparing it to if he were driving his soccer dad suburban down main street USA. I compare more to someone racing their spec miata around a road course, the other driver (rider) had a issue of some kind (mechanical/mental/wahtever) and pulled to the side (off track) to see to said issue. The OP carried speed through a chicane (blind as it may be) to gather speed into the next section, the other driver didnt bother to look before returning onto the racing surface.

Now yes, if this is a multi purpose trail where there may very well be hikers or other people much slower than a bike on the trail then you shouldnt be hauling balls, but if this is a specific bike trail then feel free to get after it, anyone else should either be moving fast enough to stay out of your way, be aware enough of their surroundings to get out of your way, and not purposely put themselves into a posisition where they could easily be hit by a speeding bicycle (i.e: not looking before pulling out onto the trail.). Didnt your parents ever teach you guys to look both ways before crossing a street?
    ^^ I have to agree.

The trails I ride on are multi-use till you get onto the single trac. Then its pretty much just bikes. Its really too advanced for casual riders so its usually just experienced MB's on the single trac. I try to go as fast as I can and push as hard as I can on the single trac. Pushing it to the limits of control is part of my training for my actual races.

Its pretty much understood that if you wreck, lose momentum, or have a bike problem, whatever, that you pull off to the side of the trail.

Of course when re-entering the trail it is absolutely imperative that you look both ways before getting back on the trac. In this case that did not happen, which is the fault of the guy who was stopped. This may have been a brain fart and a momentary lapse of reason.

Not stopping to make sure the guy who just crashed right next to you is ok was not however a momentary lapse of reason, it was plain old *******ness of great magnitude.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    Its pretty much understood that if you wreck, lose momentum, or have a bike problem, whatever, that you pull off to the side of the trail.
    With the amount of poison oak we got this year - fcuk no I am pulling to the side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    With the amount of poison oak we got this year - fcuk no I am pulling to the side.
    Then take your damned headphones out and be aware of your surroundings, you can usually hear another rider coming from a decent distance away if you are paying attention and can voice your presence and inability to move out of the way before they hit you.

born to chill

Well not to be a wise-ass, but it doesn't sound like you have. You are still projecting blame on outside elements rather than accepting that all responsibility for your crash rests on your shoulders.

And it isn't just a matter of riding slow, it is a matter of riding your bike with control, you were clearly out of control

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    ^^ I have to agree.

The trails I ride on are multi-use till you get onto the single trac. Then its pretty much just bikes. Its really too advanced for casual riders so its usually just experienced MB's on the single trac. I try to go as fast as I can and push as hard as I can on the single trac. Pushing it to the limits of control is part of my training for my actual races.

Of course when re-entering the trail it is absolutely imperative that you look both ways before getting back on the trac. In this case that did not happen, which is the fault of the guy who was stopped. This may have been a brain fart and a momentary lapse of reason.

Not stopping to make sure the guy who just crashed right next to you is ok was not however a momentary lapse of reason, it was plain old *******ness of great magnitude.
    It's the same here. The whole trail system is labeled as a mountain bike trail not a multi use trail. However casual riders, trail runners, and equestrians sometimes use the lower single track and fire road near the lake. On those trails I am very careful to avoid confrontation with other trail users. However the outer portion of the trail system is exclusively ridden by mountain bikers. In the past 2 years that I have been riding here I have never seen anybody hiking, running, riding horses or anything other than riding a bike on the outer trails. Since this new trail was made 3 months ago(also part of the outer trail system) I've only encountered 4 other riders on it. 3 of them were going just as hard if not harder than I was and the 4th, well we all kinow what happened when I met up with the 4th one.

College Boy
    I am with you and agree with Chum

End of the day rider in front of you has the right of way no matter how you cut it. it is your job not to hit him. The moving over is a curtsy but never a requirement for the rider in front. It is your job to go around him with out causing a problem or making him feel unconformable.

Now yeah I agree not the smartest thing in the world to wear headphones while riding but does not change the fact that you are 100% at fault and screwed up.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I am with you and agree with Chum

End of the day rider in front of you has the right of way no matter how you cut it. it is your job not to hit him. The moving over is a curtsy but never a requirement for the rider in front. It is your job to go around him with out causing a problem or making him feel unconformable.

Now yeah I agree not the smartest thing in the world to wear headphones while riding but does not change the fact that you are 100% at fault and screwed up.
    I guess more people need to learn how to read than I thought. Let me break it down for you barney style. I was not passing him while he was riding, he was stopped off the side of the trail. He didn't hear me call to him because of his headphones. He didn't bother to look and make sure the trail was clear before re-entering the trail. Simple enough for you?

mtbr member
    i think people just do not like to be yelled at....when i mean yelled at, i dont mean in a abrasive manner, more like a "Passing you on the left" or "coming up behind you". Ive had people just not do anything....continue to ride like no one is there. I dont ride their asses or anything...i simply jump off the trail and skip them a bit or wait till it splits and then make my move....

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Then take your damned headphones out and be aware of your surroundings, you can usually hear another rider coming from a decent distance away if you are paying attention and can voice your presence and inability to move out of the way before they hit you.
    I do not own a pair of headphones. I would do my best to warn people, but if they can not stop on time, it is their damn fault.

If there is a tree fallen on a trail I do not expect it to yell warnings to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast