Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Huckin' trails

Listen! Rep Power Request (please do not panic)

*Disclaimer : This was written a few days ago (well, almost a week now), in a time where the forum was less likely peaceful then now, but I still have to post it anyway. /Disclaimer*

Hi MTBR Community,

This is an request to the MTBR forum owners concerning the Reputation system and his functions.

I know that the forum of MTBR as more then 350 000 registered members, and 36 000 active members at the moment. Being able to establish a system of reward and trust by allowing each member to decide wether or not another member is valuable to the forum community is good, but many failures have been reported thought.

For example, if a member ask a question in one of the forum, and another member respond to it and then solve the problem, a reward is greatly appreciated. It's a good way of saying thanks you for your time by adding to the member reputation, which is a social rank up in a extend.

But then, people who spam the forum and give wrong answers on purpose to harm the community.

...etc, so you get the point, trolls still spreads around like they used to and they now have a great shield to protect them when insulting people with the current rep system.

We then have the choice between 3 options in order to get this straight.

1. Remove the rep system.

2. Only allow positive rep to be given.

3. Allow both negative and positive reputation to be given, but the name of the user giving reputation must be showed to the member receiving it or to all forum users.

So now we have to choose the way we want to go.

I propose we let the admins decide, then sanction their decision to be sure every one's happy then.

I'm doing this to help the community. Please do not consider this request as anger or spam against the forum administration.

Edit form the original text : Considering a very peaceful week about rep issue, I'm aware that some people might get this as a flame war being brought back. It isn't. I think now should be a great time to discuss about it, since most of us are now well aware of what they want and how it works. /edit

Regards,

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    ugh.

every user (including myself) can only rep an individual once every 100 reps given.

also trolls do not have much rep power....and they don't last long here.

new users have no rep to give (+ or -).

To add - it's only an online forum...please do not take it personally unless it breaks MTBR's Forum Rules. If that happens please report the post and we will look into it.

If there is a user you have a personality conflict with use your ignore feature...it really works.

hope this helps
    - CHUM
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    ugh.

every user (including myself) can only rep an individual once every 100 reps given.

also trolls do not have much rep power....and they don't last long here.

new users have no rep to give (+ or -).

To add - it's only an online forum...please do not take it personally unless it breaks MTBR's Forum Rules. If that happens please report the post and we will look into it.

If there is a user you have a personality conflict with use your ignore feature...it really works.

hope this helps
    - CHUM

Thanks for reply CHUM.

As I said, times are very peaceful right now and I think you're all doing a great job keeping the trash out of the forum, congratulation on your work mods.

And no, I do not have any problem at all with any members, and I was not posting this for myself, but for all of those who I come across in threads, still getting troubles with rep sometimes..

I'm not talking about the loss of rep, but more about the possibility to simply insult someone, totally anonymously, and not having any ways to feel ok about it (mostly for really hot opinions and faith). It's like sending hate letters by mail to someone... But at least the forum can decide to shut down that malfunction and allow everyone to have a even better time here...

CHUM, I know reputation is about the last of your concern, but with so much people around here, it would be a nice thing to consider those 3 options if anyone else makes the demand.

Thanks,

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post

I'm not talking about the loss of rep, but more about the possibility to simply insult someone, totally anonymously, and not having any ways to feel ok about it (mostly for really hot opinions and faith). It's like sending hate letters by mail to someone.....
    this is where you should realize it's only an online forum.

unless it breaks forum rules please do not take it personally. We can see who reps who and will investigate reported ugly/nasty/racist/violent insults and take the appropriate action.

a user can only insult via rep comment 1 every 100 reps (with a max of 10 reps given per 24 hour period).

Huckin' trails
    this is where you should realize it's only an online forum.

unless it breaks forum rules please do not take it personally. We can see who reps who and will investigate reported ugly/nasty/racist/violent insults and take the appropriate action.

a user can only insult via rep comment 1 every 100 reps (with a max of 10 reps give per 24 hour period.
    Again, I'm not taking it personal... And you only need a few words to do damages... I guess that since you're a mod, not much happening on your side, and you're not the type of guy who is persecuted very much... but still.

That's why I asked the community too to express themselves about it. If everyones is feeling ok with the current settings, then I'm happy. I just wanted to give everyone a chance to tell if they'd like to have something changed. If not, then it's very good.

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    I propose we let the admins decide, then sanction their decision to be sure every one's happy then.
    I think the admins have already decided. It is what it is...
    Name:  deadhorse.gif
Views: 766
Size:  3.3 KB
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

..I guess that since you're a mod, not much happening on your side, and you're not the type of guy who is persecuted very much...

i can't decide which is funnier...'not much happening'....or the 'not persecuted much' statement

Huckin' trails

i can't decide which is funnier...'not much happening'....or the 'not persecuted much' statement

What about King of the Green Bar being rejected by is fellow forums users ?

GO JIMMIE!!
    The rep system has keep me from sharing my opinions from time to time. I don't enjoy getting negative rep.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Once we start getting paid for the amount of rep we have, then we should care. Until then it's just a number and green boxes.

Just drop it already. Rep is not going away. It is what it is. I'd neg rep for beating a dead horse, but alas I cannot.

It's about showing up.
    When we get 10 green chips we get a Phiten necklace.
    I don't rattle.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    When we get 10 green chips we get a Phiten necklace.
    Are we gonna make a drawing for a nice bike at the New year ?

It would be nice to use those glowsticks for a good cause

Class Clown
    I'm giving you all negative rep!

If it was not obvious in my previous posts I will try to be more clear.

Forum Rules apply everywhere on MTBR - including the rep system.

Trolling, insults, baiting, etc. will not be tolerated and will end in a Time Out or outright ban.

Thank You,
    CHUM

AZ
    banned
    If it was not obvious in my previous posts I will try to be more clear.

Forum Rules apply everywhere on MTBR - including the rep system.

Trolling, insults, baiting, etc. will not be tolerated and will end in a Time Out or outright ban.

Thank You,
    CHUM

How about "persecution"?

Tryin to get you that tenth chicklet so you too can reap the magical powers of the Phiten necklace.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    I think the admins have already decided. It is what it is...
    Name:  deadhorse.gif
Views: 766
Size:  3.3 KB
    Best animation ever.

What?
    I laughed as a read this thread since most of the people writing about rep have 500 rep points and 46 green bars.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I laughed as a read this thread since most of the people writing about rep have 500 rep points and 46 green bars.

It's about showing up.

Thank You,
    CHUM
    How about wry asides, insouciance, and innuendo?
    I don't rattle.

~Disc~Golf~
    ... Being able to establish a system of reward and trust by allowing each member to decide whether or not another member is valuable to the forum community is good, but many failures have been reported thought.

For example, if a member asks a question in one of the forum, and another member responds to it and then solves the problem, a reward is greatly appreciated.
    are you scared of 'S'? - sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    How about wry asides, insouciance, and innuendo?
    asides yes,
    innuendos yes - as long as hot chicks are involved

insouciances??? I have no idea what that is - so i say yes
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

My spelling is atroshus
    Excellent three. Definitely would read it again.........

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    May I suggest a duel system of postive rep points and negative rep points. I like the idea of negative rep points just to act as a flag for the those who are to immature to comment or participate on the forum.

(On a side note can we get a WD-40 icon just to flag riders who use WD-40 on their bikes. This way we know whos comment to avoid on maintenance issues.)

Warrior's Society
    Problem with giving negative rep, and having to post your name, is recieving neg rep in retaliation from whoever you left negative rep for. It is childish and immature, but I am sure that it happens.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast