Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the half breed devil

red bull vs 5 hour energy

didn't check to see if this has been debated before, don't care. this is here and now.

don't want to hear from the anti-energy drink crowd, keep it to yourself. i'm a fifty year old rider who is set in his ways...

i wanna hear from riders who've tried both and what their thoughts are. i usually carry a red bull in my camelbak on MTB rides over twenty miles but when i ride the 'cross i don't carry a pack and five hour energy seems like a reasonable alternative. fits nicely in a jersey pocket.

thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    I think they are about the same to me. Sometimes they give more of a "buzz" then other times. I really like redbull..I like the taste. I honestly think a regular cup of coffee is the best pre-ride drink for me in terms of overall energy.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Is not amused
    Out of those two Red bull sugar free so you don't have as bad as crash afterwords. One other thing I've tried was taking Controlled Labs: White Flood. White Flood Review It's a pre-workout nitric oxide and energy enhancer. The good thing about that product it has no creatine or bcca's as well. I take it during my ride if I feel like crap and need more energy or prior to starting my ride. Kicks in between 15-30mins afterwards and depending on how it reacts with you will have energy for hours. It also doesn't dehydrate you as bad other energy drinks either and cost less in the long run. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 03-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Its the caffeine. Have a cup of coffee and save a few bucks

ouch....
    I go for the 13 hour extreme energy. Kicks ass!
    Riding.....

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I don't like energy drinks pre-ride, I'm ok with a cup of coffee, but not two. Not really a redbull fan either, to expensive, and 5-hour energy doesn't do jack for me. For days at work (Teacher) when I need a pick-me-up, I keep a stash of the Monster Rehab drinks. Non-carbonated, low sugar, and the Tea/lemonade flavor is pretty good.

It could just be the marketing that I like...but I feel like its closer to a gatorade with caffeine than an energy drink, so I don't feel bad about it.

EDIT: ALSO, many gel packets have caffeine. i really like the Clif Shot Mocha (50mg caffeine) and the Clif Shot Double Espresso (100mg caffeine).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Neither. If you want to shred you have to drink teh Dew

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good job!

Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Front Range, Colorado
    A vote for coffee!

I say avoid the middleman by avoiding all these energy drinks. Just go straight to the hospital and hook up to a heart defibulator.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 03-22-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

Stiff yet compliant
    I stick with good old cocaine. You can get it fair trade certified now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've used both. I prefer 5 hour. I like the taste of red bull better though.
    I stopped using energy drinks and actually feel better more often than when I did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think they are about the same to me

Chubby Chaser
    I used 5 hour energy for the first time a few days ago and didn't feel like it did anything for me. I don't like the taste of redbull but I use to drink a lot of monster which gave me the biggest energy boost.

IMO drinking anything heavily caffeinated before any type of cardio is a bad idea. It dehydrates your body and increases your heartrate, which is not something you would want if you were biking or running.

If you're weightlifting then it's a different story. I love getting all overdosed on caffeine before going to the gym. Feels good man.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Coffee with a little sugar works for me.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing View Post
    I used 5 hour energy for the first time a few days ago and didn't feel like it did anything for me. I don't like the taste of redbull but I use to drink a lot of monster which gave me the biggest energy boost.

IMO drinking anything heavily caffeinated before any type of cardio is a bad idea. It dehydrates your body and increases your heartrate, which is not something you would want if you were biking or running.

If you're weightlifting then it's a different story. I love getting all overdosed on caffeine before going to the gym. Feels good man.
    Huh? Caffeine is a great performance enhancer as it increases your blood flow.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

the half breed devil
    thanks for your on point responses!

well...half a bottle of five hour during today's ride seemed to make me feel weird for a little while but overall i think it works...maybe a little better than red bull. i also like not having eight ounces of carbonated schlorp sloshing around in my belly as i'm grinding up a long climb...red bull and other energy drinks seem to kind of just sit there for a little while.

on the other hand, i like having an ice cold carbonated drink three quarters of the way through a ride...i wonder what cold five hour energy is like...

B.Ike
    Sugar free rock star=least crash. IMHO

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by elwoodturner View Post
    Sugar free rock star=least crash. IMHO
    big assed can to lug around.

mtbr member
    For energy, I eat food, typically complex light carbs an hour or so before my ride. My preferred stimulant is strong coffee with half and half.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    1) Dumb
    2) Dumber

You don't need any of that CRAP!
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Its the caffeine. Probably along w/ creatine one of the most researched supplements. But in a time people buy water for $2 not surprised folks will pay $2 for caffeine (5 hour energy netted $300M in profit on $600M of US Sales --the guy who created this is a genius! Yet there's not a single study out that it's anything but the caffeine..Brilliant marketing)

Acute Effects of a Caffeine-Tau... [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    Acute caffeine ingestion increa... [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI
    Caffeine withdrawal and high-intensity enduranc... [J Sports Sci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

mtbr dismember

"Energy"

These are stimulants, not energy drinks. Calories = energy. If they contain calories then they contain energy. But if it is just sugar that is not the best way to get calories. Better to eat lots of carbohydrates, especially the day before a ride, to build up glycogen reserves. That being said I keep some 5-hour energy bottles in my car for when I start to fall asleep. They seem to help a bit.

AZ
    banned
    Food works, the better the food the better it works. Try it sometime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Food works, the better the food the better it works. Try it sometime.
    Couldn't say it better. This younger generation is a by product of advertising and media hype. One day they will wake up and say "what the frack?" .....hopefully.

Frak Yeah - YouTube
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    what the f*ck did i tell you? i told you i was fifty and set in my ways. i also asked the anti energy drink crowd to stay the hell out of this conversation. do some of you a$$holes have any reading comprehension skills at ALL?

Food, real food. I don't care if your fifty, you couldn't tell from your post. You're punctuation and launguage would lead to most saying that you are five years old. Get over yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast