Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Reasons why say NO on a DROPPER SEATPOST

What are your reasons why you are hesitant to join the band wagon? I am selling my KS post at a very low price to my friend as its already having problems so I am now thinking if I should go back to a fixed post or try the REVERB? Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Biking is what I do to get away from the problems not create more. Still waiting for someone to get it right, they're getting closer I think. I've ridden many years without one I can wait another one if I have to.

mtbr member
    KS had a bad run of seals - out of tolerance. Got mine fixed at the beginning of the year and can't imagine riding without. Used to think like dumbass but now I realize how much time I wasted by waiting - improves my enjoyment of the sport that much!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So both of you guys cant live without a dropper post uh?I am trying to decide to settle on a fixed post or spend on a post that does not know when it will explode =)

mbtr member
    I don't have one.

Don't wanna take the time to order it
    I can raise and lower my seat while i'm riding with my salsa clamp
    dislike of complexity/too many failures/fear of seat getting stuck down
    ignorance is bliss
    added weight

I'll probably own one eventually, but now is not the time.

the giant.
    when i bought my new frame used the guy included a ks dropper post. love it. so much easier to transition from ups to downs and have room for the "goods."

granted, i would never buy one new. ide rather raise/lower my seat by hand instead of spending $200+ on a seatpost. but if you can get one for minimal cost, go for it!

eBiker
    *sigh* Get a Gravity Dropper and run it for years without issue. No oil. No air spring. Full mechanical function, great support. It's ugly. Get over it.

If you want pretty, you get issues too. (sounds like life )

In a couple of years the air and oil droppers will get their issues sorted, but life is to short not to get low and pin that turn/huck that jump/soak up that drop.

P

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    *sigh* Get a Gravity Dropper and run it for years without issue. No oil. No air spring. Full mechanical function, great support. It's ugly. Get over it.

In a couple of years the air and oil droppers will get their issues sorted, but life is to short not to get low and pin that turn/huck that jump/soak up that drop.

P
    Exactly. Tried and true design. Takes under a minute to give a regular service when needed. It's not going to win any awards for looks, but my bike isn't entering any fashion contests either.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mbtr member
    so... is this the 'reasons why say NO on a DROPPER SEATPOST so we can tell you you're wrong and to spend more money on bike knicknacks' thread?

I vote for a moratorium on posts to that effect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    What are your reasons why you are hesitant to join the band wagon? I am selling my KS post at a very low price to my friend as its already having problems so I am now thinking if I should go back to a fixed post or try the REVERB? Any thoughts?
    I have two KS posts. I put up with the added weight and maintenance. I can't imagine riding without one

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My KS has a sagging issue and i think even if you have rebuilt it it will happen again and again like every after 4 rides. That's the reason why I am getting rid of it already and might try a REVERB or just a fixed post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had a GD for a while. Brilliant piece of hardware. I sold it to save over 1/2 lb and regret it like a mofo. I'd give my left nut to get another one.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    My KS has a sagging issue and i think even if you have rebuilt it it will happen again and again like every after 4 rides. That's the reason why I am getting rid of it already and might try a REVERB or just a fixed post.
    some of the ks posts are suspension posts as well. the "sag" is the suspension at work. i have the ks i850 and this happens if im not completely on the back of the saddle. it takes getting used to, but i dont mind it on my HT

Pin it
    Cost and weight for me. I like taking my time on rides, and most of my rides are all up then all down so i don't change my seatpost height more than two to four times in a ride.

mtbr member
    For those who say they there's no point in dropping your post during a climb, obviously climb on fire roads or carpet'd singletracks, because I set up my dropper to have the saddle at the most optimal height for pedaling efficiency. But the reality is the most optimal height is entirely too high for techy climbs.

Question: for those of you who use a dropper, how many times a minute do you think you tweak your saddle height, even during a climb? When I last paid attention, it was at least twice. I have it on my left hand and I'm on it as much as shifting w/ my right hand.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I think they're a great idea, and no doubt improve your ride when they're working and not bothering you with shake/wobble etc, but it seems to me that they're still a generation or two away from being sufficiently reliable that I'd bother getting one.

mtbr member
    I can't live without mine. I just treat them like any other disposable piece on my bike.... like tires, chains, chain rings, cassettes, brake pads, derailleurs, etc. They're too expensive and they wear out and you have to replace them...... but you gotta have them. What you gonna do?

I have three (four if you count my old clapped out Maverick Speedball). The only one that hasn't had a problem yet is the KS 950i. I rotate them as they need attention or need replacing. Sure, I wish they were more problem free and lasted longer.... but I'm not going to stop using them.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantR View Post
    Cost and weight for me. I like taking my time on rides, and most of my rides are all up then all down so i don't change my seatpost height more than two to four times in a ride.
    I can understand that

Seat down is all that really seems to matter.

P

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    well i cant see the point is having a device to change the seat up and down

also more to go wrong wouldn't have to worry about seat failing then being too low on the seat to get power

i suppose it like remote lockout you either love it or hate it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    the 2012 rockshox reverb I think will be more reliable than any other older dropper seatpost brands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post

P
    +1

Love my GD and have had no issues since I first got it. It was sticking a little so I paid $20 to have the local shop service it and now it works better then when I first got it. Just needed some grease.

mtbr member

I want one!.... I think?

been wanting one and have the money all saved up, but just cant decide

1)add @ 500+gms (yes, i do visit ww forum often)
    2)add another cable and lever to bar(jealous of single speed simplicity)
    3) possible failure of dropper (least of my concerns really but still factor)
    OR

1)get lower for tech stuff,climbing and decending
    2)get even lower for the stuff that really scares me
    3) get alittle higher for the steep & smooth ( on most tech trails i have saddle a little lower than the optimal height for climbing efficiently)

so i just keep waiting,wondering, reading threads like this

BTW...Aren Timmel won this years TS100 with a dropper post! actually he smashed the coarse! so, i think i am going to get one!
    .......I think...
    .....the end

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    For those who say they there's no point in dropping your post during a climb, obviously climb on fire roads or carpet'd singletracks, because I set up my dropper to have the saddle at the most optimal height for pedaling efficiency. But the reality is the most optimal height is entirely too high for techy climbs.

Question: for those of you who use a dropper, how many times a minute do you think you tweak your saddle height, even during a climb? When I last paid attention, it was at least twice. I have it on my left hand and I'm on it as much as shifting w/ my right hand.
    I have a KS and totally agree - I waste so much headspace wondering if I should raise or lower constantly. Solid post still has charm a d forces you to focus on what's important - riding your bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Five seasons on a Classic Gravity Post and still going strong,why anyone would go with any other brand is beyond me,have seen friends break,have mechanical issues on other major brands and now all run the Gravity.

Dinner for wolves
    When I go geAred, I will run out and buy a GD post. In the meantime, I stand to climb and to descend on my SS, so the need just isn't there for me. I'm sure they are a transformative bauble and all.
    Responds to gravity

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast