Thread: pricing

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

pricing

Since I'm the resident Fcukwit according to Holli, then I'd like to know where the official price guide is to VRC items?
    Lets take for instance a pair of Spin Tri-spoke wheels that a fellow forum poster asked for $325 on one of the other forums. I thought that it was a reasonable price but it didn't get any takers that I know of.
    The wheels then get listed on the bay where they sell for $165 for the pair.
    Does this mean that ALL wheels of this type are now only worth $165/pr or is this a fluke and they're really worth closer to $300?
    Another example- I listed a pair of Answer Hyperlite barends for $50 and sold them for $40 but I got some flack from someone for overcharging because they say those barends sell for $20-$25 but a close inspection of past sales on the bay show that they range in price from $20-$70.
    The recent blow-up over a "rare" Ti frame is yet another example. How do you put a value on something that is so unusual or unique that you'll only see a few examples of it in your lifetime?
    The only way I can value something accordingly is to compare it to the last few sales of that particular item from the bay, but what if there haven't been any sales of that item? Are we then supposed to contact Christies?
    Does anyone care to make an "official" price guide or is it better to leave it up in the air so we can make price suggestions given the supposed popularity of things?

mtbr member
    Holli isn't the only one.
    Now With Avatar!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Pricing is on a downward spiral for vintage 26' stuff IMO. I attribute it to the Obama economy and the disappearance of disposable income of the masses and 29er and now 27.5 demand. Vintage stuff does not work so well with either one for the most part.

Certified Bike Junkie
    Making even semi accurate valuation estimates requires knowledge of the market and specific knowledge of what you are valuing. If either are missing, your estimate is worthless. I agree with Fred, the VRC market does seem a little soft at the moment for what ever reason. I'd attribute the low price on those wheels to the typical lull in collecting activity during the holidays as much as anything else. His original asking price is still closer to what I'd say is market value on those.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Humanoid Lobster
    Sometimes we want this stuff to be worth more than it is, because we love it. No one is going to fund their retirement flipping XT hardtails.

I've done some trades that I've probably gotten the short end of - and it's fine. It'll come around in the end.

If I were to come across a Control Tech FS Super-Hinges and Bushings bike, I'd hook you up because I know you love that stuff.

Maybe ebay really is the best option for all this stuff - at least everyone there pays what they want and can't (directly) b*tch about it. Shame about the fees, but oh well.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

the new Gilbert Grape
    eBay pricing varies greatly. The final price is often as determined by picture taking ability of the seller and the sellers attitude than the actual item. Also items with spelling mistakes or items identified incorrectly are often sold at prices that are out of the norm. If you throw out the odd-ball high and low prices, you get a range that of what an item is worth.

When there is not a way to check past sales, you need to look at similar items. In the case of the frame that you recently quoted a value for, you tried to do this but you weren't familiar enough with the item to do it accurately. Someone asked, "I have a '67 Corvette for sale, what's it worth?" Your reply was "a '67 Dodge Dart is worth about $400, so I'd guess your Corvette is worth $400 too." That's a pretty poor comparison. Maybe you should have looked at the prices of a '67 Jaguar, Mustang, or Porsche to give an approximate range. Or better yet, said, it's rare enough that it's hard to tell - it might be $100 and it might be $10,000, who knows? When you authoritative state something that you really don't know anything about, people get a bit miffed.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.