mtbr member

Please Stop Criticizing Free Markets

I see a lot of people bash free markets and capitalism stating current affairs as their example. America is nothing close to a free market, nor has it ever been. The farther it moves from a pure free market environment, the worse the economy has gotten. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dirtdan; 08-04-2011 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Not sure this is real appropriate for general discussion forum. Try F88. Oh wait...

mtbr member
    I was reading that Specialized thread where the OP was talking about how he's unhappy to see so many Specialized bikes and claiming that he wants more variety because he lives in America and that we have a free market. Then a bunch of other people went on to say silly things about the markets that they don't understand as well.
    So, as it relates to Specialized: They own a large market share because they are a good value and many riders that have a few years of experience and money will go into a shop and end up buying one. The shop owners like them because they come with better components than similarly priced Cannondales and the shop owners are sick of Trek because 10 years ago, Trek was all that was everywhere, much like Specialized now...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Tell someone who gives a *****. There are numerous other sites that would applaud your brilliant insight, but this is a bike forum.
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

08 Schwinn Sierra TDM (gravel tandem)

Five is right out
    Sep 2006

"Please Stop Ciriticizing Free Markets"

What is this? The MTBR version of a Teabonics placard?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pargon/with/4469684254/

mtbr member
    For the amount of times I read in a thread some person using capitalism or free markets as part of their discussion in mountain bike pricing, or bike selection, it apparently is bike related. If I didn't read so much disinformation on these topics in bike threads, I would never start this thread. But to keep those threads from going off topic, I figured a separate topic would be better for all. There are titles to threads, and you can not click the ones that don't interest you. It's a novel idea and one that can be easily utilized by people with normally functioning brains.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Atlas Shrugged anyone.....
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    “Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.”

- Kung Fu Monkey
    11 Flint
    08 Monocog Flight
    06 X-Caliber
    96 F400 (SS townie)

08 Schwinn Sierra TDM (gravel tandem)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I was reading that Specialized thread where the OP was talking about how he's unhappy to see so many Specialized bikes and claiming that he wants more variety because he lives in America and that we have a free market. Then a bunch of other people went on to say silly things about the markets that they don't understand as well.
    So, as it relates to Specialized: They own a large market share because they are a good value and many riders that have a few years of experience and money will go into a shop and end up buying one. The shop owners like them because they come with better components than similarly priced Cannondales and the shop owners are sick of Trek because 10 years ago, Trek was all that was everywhere, much like Specialized now
    So, according to the paragraph in bold it's okay for dealers to be "sick of Trek because 10 years ago, Trek was all that was everywhere" but it's not okay for the OP of the other thread to be sick of seeing Specialized bikes everywhere? Doesn't make much sense to me but, hey, I'm pretty easily confused.

I don't want to even comment on your comments on free markets. I'm not too well-informed in that area and, guessing from your posts, I don't think you are either. Probably better to spare everyone else that train wreck of a debate.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm300 View Post
    “Two novels can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other involves orcs.”

- Kung Fu Monkey
    Brilliant quote.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    Not sure this is real appropriate for general discussion forum.
    Why not?
    I don’t see a sticky that says mt. bike only topics. If the forum were titled Mt. Bike General Discussion, I would agree.

On a couple of other sites I visit 'General Discussion' has topics on everything under the sun with very little about the basic premise of the site. GD is meant for discussion of things that don't fall into the sites other sub category.

I have no interest in this topic but if others want to discuss it, I have no issue.

If I start reading a post I'm not interested in I simply skip it and push on...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_dog_canyon View Post
    Why not?
    I don’t see a sticky that says mt. bike only topics. If the forum were titled Mt. Bike General Discussion, I would agree.

On a couple of other sites I visit 'General Discussion' has topics on everything under the sun with very little about the basic premise of the site. GD is meant for discussion of things that don't fall into the sites other sub category.

I have no interest in this topic but if others want to discuss it, I have no issue.

If I start reading a post I'm not interested in I simply skip it and push on...
    Cause politics are for F88. Which doesn't exist anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Atlas Shrugged anyone.....
    Meh. Just finished it. Did not like it, but still eerily familiar....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    So, according to the paragraph in bold it's okay for dealers to be "sick of Trek because 10 years ago, Trek was all that was everywhere" but it's not okay for the OP of the other thread to be sick of seeing Specialized bikes everywhere? Doesn't make much sense to me but, hey, I'm pretty easily confused.

I don't want to even comment on your comments on free markets. I'm not too well-informed in that area and, guessing from your posts, I don't think you are either. Probably better to spare everyone else that train wreck of a debate.
    It's completely okay for him to be sick of whatever he wishes to be sick of. I take no issues with that. Nice job with the jab on my knowledge immediately after discrediting your own opinion. Maybe just leave the topic alone after admitting you have very little knowledge rather than try to make a point about something you admittedly know very little about?

It's okay for anyone to do and feel whatever they wish (provided it does not affect my personal property), just as it's okay for me to make a thread about something that is often discussed on this forum as side notes in threads where it is completely irrelevant. Just as it's okay for a moderator to delete this thread because they think it sucks, etc...

I have no interest in saying what's okay and what's not okay, just interested in discussing people's incorrect notion that we have a free market system in the US. Government has been subsidizing all kinds of business at an increasing rate in the past several decades. Reagan was probably the stepping stone for elevating it to a new level as a so called "conservative" doubled government spending and increased taxes by 65%. With the lines blurred between the parties, free markets have been blamed for many, if not all our economic problems all while the government has been teaming up with businesses picking their favorites and supporting them by monetizing their debt or by flat out buying their products at inflated prices. Reference the banking industry, the military industrial complex (GE), automobile industry, health care in the US is 45% funded by public funds, the farming industry, etc... These are not even close to examples of free market economies and those that blame the free markets are ill informed.

Live 2 Ride
    Funny thing is the majority of bikes I see around my neighborhood and town are walmart bikes.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cause politics are for F88. Which doesn't exist anymore.
    I see many threads on page one that I have not clicked on based on the Topic Name, yet they are multiple pages long. Apparently many are enjoying threads which I have no interest in...

So... What topics do feel are appropriate?

If everybody got to filter content there would be nothing but boring junk left.
    Free Speech?

Again - I have no interest in this topic but if others want to discuss it, I have no issue....

human dehumidifier
    Everybody is a communist but me
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Anytime you see the word "FREE"....
    Grab your wallet and run. (or ride as the case may be)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I see many threads on page one that I have not clicked on based on the Topic Name, yet they are multiple pages long. Apparently many are enjoying threads which I have no interest in...

So... What topics do feel are appropriate?

If everybody got to filter content there would be nothing but boring junk left.
    Free Speech?

Again - I have no interest in this topic but if others want to discuss it, I have no issue....
    Cause the only thing more annoying than hand wringing liberals in the public square are laissez faire conservatives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    also, this made it the recycle bin in record time. religion and politics are not fit for dinner party conversation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cause the only thing more annoying than hand wringing liberals in the public square are laissez faire conservatives.
    Man - this is the problem with trying to carry on a conversation thru a keyboard...

All I was trying to say is that in GD forum any topic should be allowed and if someone doesn't like the topic they don't have to read / post to it.

mtbr member
    All I was trying to say is that in GD forum any topic should be allowed and if someone doesn't like the topic they don't have to read / post to it.
    Apparently this isn't the case as we're in the recycle bin...