Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Performance Bike

Does performance usually reveal their new products here? I am new to mtbing and am looking into buying the Access Xcl which was an old Supergo frame and is now performances. jw if they would come out with the new model at Interbike?

lord of my world
    Performance is crap! Go to a real bike shop where the workers know what they are talking about.

mtbr member
    Performance does not show bikes at Interbike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Un related. I have bought an Access XCL frame. Good quality construction from what I can tell. Not the lightest/not the heaviest. My girl friend wrecked on it bad and the bike survived perfectly. Barely even a scratch in the paint.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by surlywhore
    Performance is crap! Go to a real bike shop where the workers know what they are talking about.

How can you say that Performance isn't a "real" bike shop. If your trying to compare to a Mom/Pop shop, then your comparing apples and oranges.

Unfortunately a large company like Performance has regulations preventing from something happening that a Mom/Pop shop can do.

To the OP, Performance does not show at Interbike. Their parts are made by others for them.

Go make a difference
    That Access frame is a good frame for the money. I've raced one as a backup when I needed it at a 12 hour and was very pleased with it. I ended up riding it more than my main bike when I got back from that race. It's built in the same place most other mtn bikes are ...it just gets a different sticker.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    access mtb frames aren't made any more. The scattante frames (road) are made by Fuji now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    you sure on that? I just bought one 4 months ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    you sure on that? I just bought one 4 months ago.
    I work for performance. yes, I'm sure. There are still lots of them laying around, but they aren't being made anymore last I heard. Access is a dead name.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    that,s a bummer such a great frame. I got mine for 100 less 10% because of sales and coupons. is there a plane to replace the frame with another product?

Capricious youth...
    The cashiers, and often times the managers, know nothing about bicycles. I can vouch for this having worked there. They tend to hire managers who were managers at other businesses (Blockbuster, Payless Shoes... and yes, I'm being serious). But they refuse to hire "bike guys/gals" because the people who are truly into bikes know that Performance can afford a little extra money in their paychecks. But Performance refuses to do so.

On a side note, there were those of us who worked at a Performance who knew their stuff. And most of the mechanics in the shops that I worked at were fantastic mechanics. Just not too stoked about their jobs. So you probably caught us on one of the 363 days every year that Performance forced us to work (because the only days the shop is closed is Thankgiving and Christmas). Not to mention the extra long inventory nights of working 2pm-10pm, and then adding on a 10pm-2am shift only to have the bonus of coming in at 8am the following morning. Furthermore, look around. Sure... they might carry a few Chris King Headsets, but when you have to get excited because the store you work at FINALLY got something Fox related in, that's a sad day. Too much Forte, Cat-1, Performance branded products for my taste. And most of the quality isn't very good. Furthermore, they're not even carrying Iron Horse anymore. It's rare to see anything other than Fuji $600 road bikes, or the occasional GT Force frame.

Anyway, the last manager at a local Performance Store was a nice guy, but hadn't touched a bicycle in 15 years. And the area manager was completely clueless.

Performance likes hiring people who will fit the Performance Mold... instead of hiring people who love the industry and want to keep it thriving.

P.S. Don't forget that Performance has a 100% Satisfactory Guarantee, even on bikes. So feel free to return things at your whim, and at anytime. They have to refund your money.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    The cashiers, and often times the managers, know nothing about bicycles. I can vouch for this having worked there. They tend to hire managers who were managers at other businesses (Blockbuster, Payless Shoes... and yes, I'm being serious). But they refuse to hire "bike guys/gals" because the people who are truly into bikes know that Performance can afford a little extra money in their paychecks. But Performance refuses to do so.

On a side note, there were those of us who worked at a Performance who knew their stuff. And most of the mechanics in the shops that I worked at were fantastic mechanics. Just not too stoked about their jobs. So you probably caught us on one of the 363 days every year that Performance forced us to work (because the only days the shop is closed is Thankgiving and Christmas). Not to mention the extra long inventory nights of working 2pm-10pm, and then adding on a 10pm-2am shift only to have the bonus of coming in at 8am the following morning. Furthermore, look around. Sure... they might carry a few Chris King Headsets, but when you have to get excited because the store you work at FINALLY got something Fox related in, that's a sad day. Too much Forte, Cat-1, Performance branded products for my taste. And most of the quality isn't very good. Furthermore, they're not even carrying Iron Horse anymore. It's rare to see anything other than Fuji $600 road bikes, or the occasional GT Force frame.

Anyway, the last manager at a local Performance Store was a nice guy, but hadn't touched a bicycle in 15 years. And the area manager was completely clueless.

Performance likes hiring people who will fit the Performance Mold... instead of hiring people who love the industry and want to keep it thriving.

P.S. Don't forget that Performance has a 100% Satisfactory Guarantee, even on bikes. So feel free to return things at your whim, and at anytime. They have to refund your money.
    I agree with this sentiment. Performance just doesn't care enough about hiring decent employees. I can easily say that I am in the top percentile and have been the most technically knowledgable at both stores I have worked at, and I'm still getting paid the amount I was started at over a year and a half ago. employee relations is not a priority for performance, plain and simple. But then again, this is one way they keep costs down. Also, with Performance having a brand new CEO and already changing things around, perhaps this will change soon.

Rub it............
    I agree also, to a certain extent.

The Performance store I work at has a pretty good crew. 3 out of the 4 managers are big into bikes, so its a huge help to have their knowledge available. I think of only 2 out of the 12 non management employee's that don't have extensive biking knowledge. So we are very fortunate in this aspect. Unfortunately only the managers at this point are full timers, with the exception of a full time offer to myself.

I started a few months ago and already have noticed a ton of changes in company policy. Some I agree with, some I don't, but most of it is due to poor communication between management and employee's (wow something new. lol)

But the overall experience as far as been pretty good. Just need to try and get the 3 non-biking employee's to get on board and step it up.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    the two performance shops I go to seem to have knowledgeable employees. sure a little inexperienced but they al seem to actually ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    thanks for the info, i found the frame on pinkbike.com so i will probably be buying it from there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the only time I went to Performance was to get a front wheel for my beater single speed.

last time I was there I asked about Hayes adaptors. The guy at the counter said "no, we don't carry high end stuff like that".

Right....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    well does anyone have any other ideas as to where i can find the frame bc the guy i contacted said he could only do local pickup-all the way in Canada.

Former Bike Wrench
    Price Point sells the very similar Sette Reken for $99

Its cheap and durable...but not super light

mtbr member
    May 2006
    find your lcoal performance store and go in. chances are they have some sitting around the store.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i tried calling the 3 performances that were near me and they all said that they had only received 1 in over a year. One store didn't even know what i was talking about.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Where are you located? If I could get one and ship would you be intereted? Also, what size do you need? I was just at one of the local stores and they had three silver frames. One was marked 18" not sure on the others.

Also, have you checked out Leader? You can buy their inexpenisve frame direct from them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    im in dayton, Ohio. How much was the frame priced at? I would need a 18 inch preferably silver, i will check out the leader frames also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    does the leader frame only work with zero stack headsets? I already have a crank brothers cobalt directset that is the right size but is not zero stack.
    Last edited by RebaRox246; 10-03-2008 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Go into your favorite Performance store with the item number and size you need, and ask them to do an "AS400 search" which will allow the employee to search inventory company-wide, for you to pick up or have transferred between stores.

I've saved a lot of $$$ that way for finding big/heavy items (like bike racks) that would incur a ship-to-store charge that is otherwise free for smaller/lighter items.

And, certainly, to be able to get the item in the first place.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yes I believe that the leader only use zero stack. they sell one that isn;t very expenisive though. cane creek zs-something or other

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast