Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    AZ
    banned

OT: Who are you voting for this election?

Ibtl.

mtbr member

OT: Who are you voting for this election?

I'm voting for Ron Paul solely because he challenged all other candidates to a 20 mile bike ride in 100 degree, 100% humidity Texas heat. Oh, and I dig that he's all into freedom and liberty.
    What about you guys?

FKA Malibu412
    Some people never learn....
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Subscribed. It's been too long since I've seen a decent flame war. Of course, all of OP's threads turn out bad anyways. Oh well. Makes for great fun for the rest of us.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

AZ
    banned
    OP must have missed this post in the other "decent flame war".

Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    18 posts until something political came into this thread. Please note that while not explicitly defined by the guidelines arguing about politics on the MTBR boards is generally not allowed due to its volatile nature and rapid degradation into flame wars which is against MTBR guidelines.

I have emptied this thread of political arguments, handed out infractions as needed and will be watching this thread. If political discourse continues then it will be locked and binned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Subscribed. It's been too long since I've seen a decent flame war. Of course, all of OP's threads turn out bad anyways. Oh well. Makes for great fun for the rest of us.
    I've had some pretty successful threads too. The "Diarrhea, cha, cha, cha," thread was a masterpiece and well liked by many. There was also no hatred or anger. Why can't we all just get along? And vote for Ron Paul.

Once this thread gets out of control and hits the recycle bin, I plan on starting a religion thread to decide which one is the best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Decent flame war is a myth. It will get deep-sixed in the Recycle Bin then locked when it turns extra ugly.

Where's the popcorn smilie when I need one?

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    Decent flame war is a myth. It will get deep-sixed in the Recycle Bin then locked when it turns extra ugly.

Where's the popcorn smilie when I need one?

I got some more Jiffy Pop on the stove if you want it. Sorry it's nothing special, I'm a poor college student. I had to rig a stove out of some coat hangers and steel wool and an electrical socket.

CHUM, don't do it! You're our only hope as The Oh Great Fishy Overlord.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Ohhh boy, I was going to be wading into hot water...but after seeing AZ.MTNS warning, I think I'll refrain. As for flame wars, I definitely don't want any part of that!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

I'd vote for this guy...if only because he created the "Rent is Too Damn High Party"

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Once this thread gets out of control and hits the recycle bin, I plan on starting a religion thread to decide which one is the best.
    Looking down the barrel of a loaded ban hammer.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Depends, if Michelle Bachman or Rick Perry come out on top I'll pretty much vote for anyone running against them. Now if the Republicans are smart enough to nominate someone slightly more moderate I will have a tougher decision on my hands...

mtbr member
    Good idea Dan. Maybe that'll work cause so far it's not even funny in an annoying kinda way.
    Round and round we go

official eMpTyBRain
    None of the clowns in any of the worthless parties are worth voting for. This country desperately needs reorganization. All politicians should be fired and replaced with hard working, red blooded Americans. We need to end Capitalism, make it illegal. Until that day comes, your world will continue to spiral down, down, down...The rich will get richer and more poor people will emerge. The fools that run this country only care about themselves!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge View Post
    Depends, if Michelle Bachman or Rick Perry come out on top I'll pretty much vote for anyone running against them. Now if the Republicans are smart enough to nominate someone slightly more moderate I will have a tougher decision on my hands...
    Would you consider Romney to be in that more moderate realm?

mtbr member
    Obama.. just because the Republicans are so far to the right, there is no scale that can measure their conservatism.
    Anyone in the South Chicagoland area that's looking to go riding, feel free to contact me.

mtbr member
    Curt Schilling. Run Curt, run!

Retired User
    I'm voting for Ron Paul solely because he challenged all other candidates to a 20 mile bike ride in 100 degree, 100% humidity Texas heat. Oh, and I dig that he's all into freedom and liberty.
    What about you guys?
    Just another talking head, RP gets owned

RIP Tim Russert, a true journalist.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    Just another talking head, RP gets owned

RIP Tim Russert, a true journalist.
    If the Federal Government is going to devalue the currency, it's his job to try and prevent it. However, once the money is allocated, it's getting spent no matter what. It's also his job not to punish his own constituents by not trying to get them a portion of the monetary inflation.

That is how I would want my Congressman to act. No reason to shoot your constituents in the foot over losing on a political position.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    None of the clowns in any of the worthless parties are worth voting for. This country desperately needs reorganization ....... The fools that run this country only care about themselves!
    I agree with that. However your choices are vote for someone or don't. Abstaining from voting doesn't do anything for your cause. There may not be a revolution in our lifetimes, so you may as well play the game.

Would you consider Romney to be in that more moderate realm?
    I am OK with his positions on several of the most important issues facing our country right now. However I also disagree on some as well, like foreign wars. As much as I hate to even make it an issue, I strongly disagree with his position on social issues. If he focuses on the other issues and leaves marijuana use, gay rights and abortion alone then I would be interested in learning more before the election. Because there are far more important things to worry about right now.

Retired User
    If the Federal Government is going to devalue the currency, it's his job to try and prevent it. However, once the money is allocated, it's getting spent no matter what. It's also his job not to punish his own constituents by not trying to get them a portion of the monetary inflation.

That is how I would want my Congressman to act. No reason to shoot your constituents in the foot over losing on a political position.
    On a gritty street in Galveston, Texas, a few blocks from the Gulf of Mexico, stands a prime example of the largesse of Republican Rep. Ron Paul. Workers here are putting the finishing touches on a new home, one of about 180 that will be built, at taxpayer's expense, for residents who lost their abodes to Hurricane Ike back in 2008.

The money for this project came from a federal Community Development Block Grant that the libertarian-leaning congressman helped direct to Galveston, the seat of Galveston County, and the most populous part of Paul's district. "Federal dollars are key," city spokeswoman Alicia Cahill tells me as a trailer arrives with boxes of new appliances. "Not only to help rebuild these homes, but also for so many infrastructure projects."

As a libertarian, Paul says he opposes federal disaster relief, but one of Paul's staffers told me that his office has shepherded hundreds of FEMA claims, ensured the reconstruction of the county's seawall, and won federal funding for an extensive beach nourishment project. Indeed, between 1999 and 2009 (the most recent year available), federal spending in Galveston County quadrupled to more than $4 billion. In 2009, the county received $14,707 per resident, topping average per capita federal spending in 46 of the 50 states. Paul earmarked some $60 million for projects in and around the city that year.

These local projects illustrate a central irony of Ron Paul's career: Even as the 12-term congressman has become the Cassandra of governmental overreach, he has enabled a deepening dependence on the federal government at home. Paul, who last week announced that he will retire at the end of 2012, will on one hand be remembered as "Dr. No," the politician who always voted "nay" on new spending, and on the other, as "a politician like all the rest," as Galveston GOP precinct chair Josh Daniels described him to me last week, noting that Paul's Janus-faced approach to federal spending "just doesn't sit well with me."

For better or worse, Paul has always cauterized his anti-government views with old-fashioned cronyism. Knowing that most appropriations bills will pass despite his nay vote, he often loads them with earmarks. In this way, he has managed to please both small-government conservatives and pork-loving constituents. From 2008 through 2010, Paul won nearly $125 million in earmarks, most of them for spending in his district. Last year, he was one of just four House Republicans who refused to abide by their party's voluntary earmarks ban. Trying to justify his projects in a 2009 Fox News interview, Paul said, "If they are going to allot the money, I have a responsibility to represent my people." Asked to elaborate on Paul's position, his spokeswoman pointed to a statement on Paul's website arguing that eliminating earmarks "would further consolidate power in the already dominant executive branch and not save a penny."

Local GOP headquarters in Galveston County.Welcome to Galveston County GOP headquarters.Over the years, being Ron Paul has not gotten any easier. Take, for example, the window of the Galveston County GOP headquarters, a squat building along Interstate 45 south of Houston, where a campaign sign reads, "Ron Paul: The Taxpayers' Best Friend." Less than a block away is the site of a future Park and Ride facility, courtesy of Paul's $750,000 earmark—never mind that Paul claims to oppose public transportation. Of course, Paul isn't entirely a hypocrite. He has long advocated privatizing NASA, a major employer in Galveston County. Obama is now doing just that; the only problem is that there's another sign in the window of GOP headquarters, reading: "Save NASA, Stop Obama."

For Paul's would-be successors, inhabiting his political wheelhouse is about as desirable as living on Saturn. None of the Texas Republicans vying to replace him in Congress—school administrator John Gay, politically connected attorney Michael Truncale, and state legislator Larry Taylor (who on Wednesday announced he would drop out of the race)—consider themselves libertarians. When I met Truncale at a GOP social hour at a yacht club in Kemah, an affluent resort town on Galveston Bay, he told me that a number of Paul's positions "may be a bit extreme for me." And Gay gripes that Paul wants to shrink government to the point that it's "almost like no government." In fact, nobody I met at the club described themselves as full-fledged Ron Paul supporters.

Part of Paul's duality may stem from his district's shifting political landscape; this year, the Texas Legislature redrew the district to include a swath of Democratic-leaning Jefferson County and larger parts of Galveston County. Paul's turf, once predominately rural, now must draw more conservative votes from the metastasizing Houston suburbs around League City, where billboards advertise new subdivisions with names like Tuscan Lakes and Trails at Bay Colony. Many voters in those places look to the government to provide quality roads, public schools, and law enforcement. "Growth in League City is mainly Republicans," says Daniels, the Galveston County precinct chair. "A lot of the core libertarian voters are not in that district."
    "He's just not that popular around here," says a resident of Paul's old neighborhood.

To be sure, Paul still has plenty of loyalists. At Smithart's Downtown Grill in Lake Jackson, where he used to stop in for the signature half-pound burger, I found Sandra Smithart standing barefoot behind the counter, her toenails painted bright red. She told me that everyone knew Paul because, in his former career as a physician, he'd delivered thousands of babies around the county. "I like his honesty," she said, after calling out an order for a big man named Bubba. "He's a politician who won't ever vote for anything he doesn't believe in."

Yet on the leafy streets around Paul's old ranch-style home, yard signs in support of his presidential campaign were hard to come by. "He's just not that popular around here," explains retired engineer Jim Struthwolf, stepping off his riding mower to talk. Though Struthwolf has seen Paul speak at the Lions Club and his wife worked with Paul's wife on the Girl Scouts 20 years ago, he doesn't consider himself a supporter. "He went off a different way when he became a libertarian."

If all politics are local, as the famously liberal House Speaker Tip O'Neill liked to argue, then the Ron Paul revolution may be destined to fizzle. Back home, Paul never fully walked his libertarian talk. Struthwolf recalls Paul's early days in Congress, when he lambasted O'Neill for riding around Washington in an expensive, state-issued Lincoln Town Car. Well, the last time Paul showed up at his house, Struthwolf tells me with a chuckle, he showed up in, yes, an official Lincoln Town Car. (Paul's spokeswoman said the car could have belonged to someone else). "Tip O'Neill," Struthwolf says, "is probably laughing in his grave."

Retired User
    blah blah blah.
    Ron Paul is believed to be a “fiscal conservative” and if you ask him he will tell you that he has never voted for an earmark. That statement is 100% correct. What Paul does is to make sure that the earmarks he wants are put into a bill, and then he votes against the bill. Its the best of all possible worlds. He gets to bring home the bacon on a local basis and makes the anti-earmark claim on a national basis.

In fiscal 2009 Ron Paul sponsored or co-sponsored 23 earmarks totaling $80,775,750 ranking him the 33rd highest out of 435 representatives.

Leaders are supposed to lead by example.

mtbr member
    I liken it to not liking a particular rule of a game or sport you're playing. You voice your opinion how you don't like the rule, but if the rule exists, you will increase your odds of losing by playing the game by your own more stringent set of rules. Fight to change the rules, but when it's game time, you take advantage of the rules to the best of your ability. I have no problem with this philosophy and don't see it as hypocritical.
    The anecdotal stories don't do much for me. He's been elected many times and took over a mostly democratic district in the 70's with his Libertarian views. He has enough fans to win elections in that district anyway.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast