Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MTB B'dos

OT - MotoCyclists dies while not wearing a helmet to protest helmet laws.

Saw this and had to post. Guess this guy showed the authorities just how silly helmet laws are after all
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20076546.shtml
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Oh, the irony!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Helmet laws are silly, but you should still wear a damn helmet. Same applies to seatbelts.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    He did manage to reproduce though

Village Dirtbag
    People shouldn't be protected from themselves. This guy made it a point by demonstrating his right to crack his skull open on the asphault. A true hero.

Seriously though- we shouldn't protect people from themselves. We need to protect others from these people though. For instance, if a car hits a cyclist or motorcyclist who wasn't wearing a helmet, and they sustain head injuries or die, the fault of the driver should be reduced from what it would be if the person WAS wearing a helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Better for us he died instead of being permanently incapacitated with a closed head injury the rest of his life- and we would have to foot the bill for his care. There is serious talk of repealing the helmet law here in Michigan, provided riders carry $100K worth of heath insurance, which is 4 days of care in an ICU, and then the taxpayers get to cover the rest.

MTB B'dos
    So, did the ****** give everyone bad rep points for posting in here or just me for posting it. When will MTBR learn that this rep crap isn't worth shite and end it Oh and just in case I didn't make myself clear on the dumb ass who got killed he was a moron, well there it is, Darwin finally at work.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Don't worry LyNx, rep power is the same as facebook friending- an attempt to generate as many "e-friends" as possible to justify their otherwise meaningless existence. I appreciated the post.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Gotta love an article packed with so much irony. Thanks for posting it.

mtbr member
    Serious question this.

If a motorcyclist (or cyclist for that matter) has an accident and suffers a head injury whilst not wearing a helmet, should the paramedics prioritise other calls or ever bother turning up at all?
    It's one thing to suffer an injury, but when even the most basic precautions aren't taken you're effectively declaring yourself to be ok with the consequences. Is it right to expect someone to come and scrape you up off the floor when those consequences come back to bite you?

Anyway, I hope this makes it to Darwin Awards, I really do. Even if he is only eligable for a honourable mention.

"2 Wycked"
    Wow, looks like there's a lot of self righteousness here on mtbr.com. has anyone done any research on this particular accident regarding whether or not the lack of wearing a helmet was in deed the reason he died? Or are you all just that ignorant?
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Serious question this.

If a motorcyclist (or cyclist for that matter) has an accident and suffers a head injury whilst not wearing a helmet, should the paramedics prioritise other calls or ever bother turning up at all?
    It's one thing to suffer an injury, but when even the most basic precautions aren't taken you're effectively declaring yourself to be ok with the consequences. Is it right to expect someone to come and scrape you up off the floor when those consequences come back to bite you?

Anyway, I hope this makes it to Darwin Awards, I really do. Even if he is only eligable for a honourable mention.
    If paramedics ignored injuries caused by stupidity, the human race would have died out a long time ago.

Anyway, I think helmet laws are a violation of my rights as an American. But my motorcycle doesn't leave the garage unless I have a full-face helmet on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I agree with your right to ride without a helmet, or drive a car without wearing a seatbelt, or smoke, or do whatever, but it infringes on my rights when people who engage in these activities get sick or injured and then need me to pay for it through higher taxes and/or health care insurance rates. FWIW, I rode street bikes for years and only had one accident, a low speed laydown, but it totaled my gloves, ripped the shoulder of my cycle-specific leather jacket, and ground down my full-face to the foam core. Had I not been wearing those items I would be gruesome looking, at least more so than usual, and it would have required some serous grafting or plastic surgery. I stopped riding after I became a Fire Fighter/EMT and attended a few too many bike accidents.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    Wow, looks like there's a lot of self righteousness here on mtbr.com. has anyone done any research on this particular accident regarding whether or not the lack of wearing a helmet was in deed the reason he died? Or are you all just that ignorant?
    Pot, meet kettle.

"a motorcyclist [...] died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement"

"Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet."

what research have you got?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Serious question this.

are you saying that you want to give the paramedics a choice if they want to treat a bably hurt person based on how they got hurt? That doesn't sound good at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I agree with your right to ride without a helmet, or drive a car without wearing a seatbelt, or smoke, or do whatever, but it infringes on my rights when people who engage in these activities get sick or injured and then need me to pay for it through higher taxes and/or health care insurance rates. FWIW, I rode street bikes for years and only had one accident, a low speed laydown, but it totaled my gloves, ripped the shoulder of my cycle-specific leather jacket, and ground down my full-face to the foam core. Had I not been wearing those items I would be gruesome looking, at least more so than usual, and it would have required some serous grafting or plastic surgery. I stopped riding after I became a Fire Fighter/EMT and attended a few too many bike accidents.
    Boy I'm sure glad your not the keeper of all things, life would be quite boring.
    ALL sports would be deemed to dangerous.
    Name an activity that has NO argument against it,

How much further ???
    Ill just throw in my 2 cents and step away. Im not here to start a huge debate but I have to say a lot of the comments are sad. At the root of this entire helmet debate is "assessment of risk" and whether or not we should or shouldnt control this via laws. While some might feel that ones assessment of risk that results in them not wearing a motorcycle helmet is a poor choice, there also might be someone who feels that ones assessment of risk to ride a mountain bike on technical offroad is a poor choice. Would you laugh and give out Darwin awards to a mountain biker who died while riding a technical trail?

All Im saying is we all make choices everyday and many of those choices involve assessing risk whether we know it or not. Thousands of people die every year in car accidents and yet we dont hesitate to jump in a car and put our kids in the back. But we dont assess driving a car to be risky. Bottom line someone died and Im sorry for his families loss.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

"2 Wycked"
    [QUOTE=meltingfeather;8212310]Pot, meet kettle.

"a motorcyclist [...] died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement"

"Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet."

what research have you got?[quote]

And how exactly is the trooper qualified to make that assessment? Did he do an autopsy? Is he a part time medical examiner? The fact that the trooper used the words "likely" and "if" only prove that he was guessing.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm OK with eliminating helmet laws. If anything, health care costs would be reduced due to the increase in deaths, vs. long recoveries from injuries. Seatbelts, on the other hand, should be required. An unrestrained driver puts others at risk. If a driver has a minor mishap while wearing a seat belt, chances are he'll still be behind the whell and have functioning arms, legs, and brain, and they may be able to prevent a more serious accident.

My grandfather told me about a time when he fell asleep at the wheel. His car left the road and went through a shallow ditch, after which he was bounced into the passenger seat. When he woke up he couldn't get back behind the wheel or even reach the brake pedal, due to all the bouncing. He took out several fence posts before coasting to a stop. Could have been a lot worse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Would you laugh and give out Darwin awards to a mountain biker who died while riding a technical trail?
    If he decided to do it without a helmet, yes, heartily.

If he'd been sensible, worn his helmet and still died a death, that's unfortunate, but there is such a thing as asking for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No way to know if a helmet would have saved his life. But not wearing a helmet certainly made it worse!

MTB B'dos
    Well considering that most who MTB take the risk and wear the gear thats available for the sport and pertinent to what type of riding they're doing. Once you have your helmet on I think you have at least taken due diligence to reduce head injury as much as possible - which is the most dangerous to your life ending or becoming a vegetable - if you feel that it won't do you any good to wear one and that all the reports and personal experience to the contrary are wrong, then NO, you should not be given priority if there are several calls into the paramedics and they need to chose who to go to first.

Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Ill just throw in my 2 cents and step away. Im not here to start a huge debate but I have to say a lot of the comments are sad. At the root of this entire helmet debate is "assessment of risk" and whether or not we should or shouldnt control this via laws. While some might feel that ones assessment of risk that results in them not wearing a motorcycle helmet is a poor choice, there also might be someone who feels that ones assessment of risk to ride a mountain bike on technical offroad is a poor choice. Would you laugh and give out Darwin awards to a mountain biker who died while riding a technical trail?

All Im saying is we all make choices everyday and many of those choices involve assessing risk whether we know it or not. Thousands of people die every year in car accidents and yet we dont hesitate to jump in a car and put our kids in the back. But we dont assess driving a car to be risky. Bottom line someone died and Im sorry for his families loss.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

How much further ???
    If he decided to do it without a helmet, yes, heartily.

If he'd been sensible, worn his helmet and still died a death, that's unfortunate, but there is such a thing as asking for it.
    I agree to a certain point but what stands out to me is when you say "sensible". What is sensible to you may not be to someone else. What if that mountain biker died as a result of a neck injury. Should all mountain bikers wear neck braces now? My guess people would say no. Why is it not sensible to wear a neck brace when it saves you from neck injuries? Are you asking for a neck injury by not wearing a neck brace?

Im not saying to throw out common sense. All Im saying is it is a slippery slope and I find it interesting where we as a society decides to draw the line.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I suspect when the trooper identified brain matter along the street that pretty much gave him the authority to make such a determination.

And how exactly is the trooper qualified to make that assessment? Did he do an autopsy? Is he a part time medical examiner? The fact that the trooper used the words "likely" and "if" only prove that he was guessing.[/QUOTE]

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Let's be real clear- This guy did not sacrifice his life in protest of helmet laws. He died because he was so stupid, that the product of his best ability to make decisions was simply not survivable.

He didn't even know how to ride- that whole "fishtailing" and "being thrown" thing is a classic mistake made by many non-riding motorcycle operators, caused by attempting to use the rear brake while in motion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast