LightJunction.com
    Yikes. Stories like that only reinforce my "always ride with a buddy" rule.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah everyone, be careful not to be the victim of a methamphetamine-fueled serial killer.

Really? In the running for the most pointless thread of the year.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Yeah everyone, be careful not to be the victim of a methamphetamine-fueled serial killer from over two decades ago.

Really? In the running for the most pointless thread of the year.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i've postedthis before...so here it goes again:

Mean world syndrome
    "Mean world syndrome" is a term coined by George Gerbner to describe a phenomenon whereby violence-related content of mass media makes viewers believe that the world is more dangerous than it actually is. Mean world syndrome is one of the main conclusions of cultivation theory. Gerbner, a pioneer researcher on the effects of television on society, argued that people who watched a large amount of television tended to think of the world as an intimidating and unforgiving place
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Titanium junkie
    All I took it as was someone saying "be careful out there"
    Nothing more, nothing less.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

Mean world syndrome
    "Mean world syndrome" is a term coined by George Gerbner to describe a phenomenon whereby violence-related content of mass media makes viewers believe that the world is more dangerous than it actually is. Mean world syndrome is one of the main conclusions of cultivation theory. Gerbner, a pioneer researcher on the effects of television on society, argued that people who watched a large amount of television tended to think of the world as an intimidating and unforgiving place
    Within three years I lost my step father, father, brother in law, and Mother, why some have worse luck than others I have no Idea but that is life, so yes, trajedy does happen, all IM asking is for people to keep an eye out and be aware. For those victims famlies in this story it is all to real and a complete nightmare.

mtbr member
    in all seriousness! seriously!
    one of the guys involved in the murders lived a few blocks away from friends house in high school. we would hang out, drink beer, work on our mustangs then (after sobering up) go out and race to impress the girls (American graffiti style) and my friend would tell us "don't drive fast or pill-Out in front of that guys house he is is CRAZY!"

WOW! scary
    .....the end

mtbr member

Mean world syndrome

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA- Ask a police officer about that one , funniest thing I've heard in a few days!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Mean world syndrome
    Run for the hills! No, DON'T run for the hills!
    Steven Pinker: Violence Is Lower Than Ever
    Harvard psychologist Steven Pinker talked about the thesis of his new book, The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined, at the ScienceWriters
    2011 conference in Flagstaff on October 17
    Steve Mirsky reports; October 18, 2011 | 12

“Believe it or not, violence has been in decline for long stretches of time. And today are probably living in the most peaceful time in our species’ existence.” Harvard psychologist Steven Pinker at the ScienceWriters2011 conference in Flagstaff on October 17th. His new book is The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined.

“The decline of violence has not been steady. It has not brought violence down to zero. And it is not guaranteed to continue. But…it is a persistent historical development, visible on scales from millennia to years, from the waging of wars and genocides to the spanking of children and the treatment of animals.”

One example is homicide rates. “It turns out that homicide records go back in Europe in many places for centuries…a medieval Englishman was at least 35 times more likely to be murdered than his modern counterpart. This is true not just in England, but in every European country for which statistics have been gathered.”

—Steve Mirsky
    Com'on people... the boogeyman isn't out there. In fact, the chances of you getting your card pulled from heart disease, cancer, or even a car accident are far more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlover View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA- Ask a police officer about that one , funniest thing I've heard in a few days!!!!!
    I would if this was a LEO site....or survivalist preparedness site....or zombie apocalypse site

but it's not - this is a mountain biking site.

posting a 'be careful 'cause a serial murder happened 2 decades ago' thread is silly....just as silly as carrying a gun while riding*

* IMO i do not care if anyone carries legally - just my opinion that it's silly

mtbr member
    So true CHUM, good to see you back Dion.
    OK let's recap....
    Reasons to carry a gun or sword, or be skilled at beating someone with your bike and kicking them while on the floor bleeding.
    Well if I wear tights I might be the victim of a gay bashing,
    If I ride with bar ends I might be considered a nerd since they're so outa style,
    If I take my dog with me you know how bent some can get over that,
    If I'm listening to music with earbuds watch out,
    If I stop for a drink and remain on the trail without getting to the side, oh boy,
    Maybe we should all stay inside since people can be soo mean, the air isn't safe, accidents, violence, drugs terrorists, oh my.
    There was actually a few guys on here a while back arguing about how too much cycling is bad for you because of bone density. Come on people, somethings gonna get you, live and enjoy while you can, or don't.
    Round and round we go

What CHUM is saying. Also, required "IBTB" post so here goes:

In before the bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Forget about serial killers, people, you need to watch out for asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    that's right - nothing to see.

these stats have zero to do with MTB'ing...might as well post stats on malaria deaths....or the bubonic plague....

binned.

mtbr member
    We are all normal people first and mountain bikers second, we share other interests other than simply peddling a bike off road as well as sharing other aspect of life. It is completely relevant but you being a mod ultimately have control over the threads so your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    We are all normal people first and mountain bikers second, we share other interests other than simply peddling a bike off road as well as sharing other aspect of life. It is completely relevant but you being a mod ultimately have control over the threads so your decision.

true - but the core aspect of MTBR is mountain biking...and sharing those interests.

when I feel the need to post/participate in primarily other topics (like politics, random, etc..) i do so on other forums...

where i am equally retarded...

OT is fine....but needs to be trimmed back on occasion

mtbr member
    May 2004

map of all the serial killers

pharmaceuticals are the second leading cause of death, according to this;
    Drug deaths now outnumber traffic fatalities in U.S., Times analysis shows - Los Angeles Times

Watch your back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    So true CHUM, good to see you back Dion.
    OK let's recap....
    Reasons to carry a gun or sword, or be skilled at beating someone with your bike and kicking them while on the floor bleeding.
    Well if I wear tights I might be the victim of a gay bashing,
    If I ride with bar ends I might be considered a nerd since they're so outa style,
    If I take my dog with me you know how bent some can get over that,
    If I'm listening to music with earbuds watch out,
    If I stop for a drink and remain on the trail without getting to the side, oh boy,
    Maybe we should all stay inside since people can be soo mean, the air isn't safe, accidents, violence, drugs terrorists, oh my.
    There was actually a few guys on here a while back arguing about how too much cycling is bad for you because of bone density. Come on people, somethings gonna get you, live and enjoy while you can, or don't.
    I'm thinking of going for a ride in tights, using barends, bringing along a dog, rocking out with my earbuds in, randomly stopping in the middle of the trail while carrying a sword strapped on my back.

Actually, if I came across someone like that on the trail I'd be giving them lots of room.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli