mtbr member
    May 2011

obamacare - sign up only when you need it? or why be honest if you sign up?

hmmm, since you cannot be refused an obamacare plan (correct me if I am wrong), what is the point of signing up for it?

Q1) if you were to start feeling sick, you could just sign up and then walk into the hospital the next day? I would assume since you cannot be refused you could probably get on a plan with 24-48 hours?

obviously this would exclude a crash on a mountain bike, but for an average person, why would a logical person who is healthy pay for healthcare when they can just get some when they need it?

Q2) what is your incentive to put your real income into obamacare plan chooser? Why not just put the amount that gives you the most government subsidy and see if they catch you or not? even then the way I understand the law, the IRS has no legal authority to collect $ on behalf of obamacare?

PS - for anyone who thinks obamacare is great, I am happy for you (I personally hope it catches on fire and explodes), but this thread is for the best way to "get the most out of obamacare" by all an any means, - ideas?

Front Range, Colorado
    Hey everything you said makes sense to me. And I'm sure there will be loop holes that will be taken advantage of just like welfare or unemployment benefits or disability or…………
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Obama said I can keep my plan - "period", and now my health insurance plan is cancelled - I cannot keep it.

and the obamacare exchange plans are more than triple what I pay now, for a whole bunch of crap I don't need or want. None of my doctors accept ANY kind of insurance here in Los Angeles, so all i had was catastrophic coverage.

Also if obamacare is so great, why isn't congress on it?

Any loopholes people spot, please feel free to post.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just thought of another one. For married couples, where one spouse is the stay at home or has a minor income:

perhaps filing separate tax returns, and having the spouse with low or no income pay for the healthcare? might make it more difficult to spot for whoever is checking these things?

mtbr member
    Check out the big brain on Brad...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    or how about this one: you keep obama bronze coverage, but if you ever have to go to hospital for a scheduled anything, for that month you upgrade to platinum best mega plan with no deductible and super low out of pocket, then after that month you go back to bronze plan?

this is definitely a legitimate way to game the system

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    hmmm, since you cannot be refused an obamacare plan (correct me if I am wrong), what is the point of signing up for it?

Q1) if you were to start feeling sick, you could just sign up and then walk into the hospital the next day? I would assume since you cannot be refused you could probably get on a plan with 24-48 hours?

obviously this would exclude a crash on a mountain bike, but for an average person, why would a logical person who is healthy pay for healthcare when they can just get some when they need it?

Q2) what is your incentive to put your real income into obamacare plan chooser? Why not just put the amount that gives you the most government subsidy and see if they catch you or not? even then the way I understand the law, the IRS has no legal authority to collect $ on behalf of obamacare?

PS - for anyone who thinks obamacare is great, I am happy for you (I personally hope it catches on fire and explodes), but this thread is for the best way to "get the most out of obamacare" by all an any means, - ideas?

1. You can do that now. In fact the hospital will help you to get on Medicaid if you need that as well.

2. You live in Cali and your rates went up? As a single man, that may indeed be the case but I doubt they would have tripled. If that is the case, you are a bad shopper. California is part of the exchanges and the rates have dropped significantly.

3. The IRS can collect the penalty.

4. If you work at a place that cancelled your plan, I doubt you had a very good job to begin with. The affordable health care act is designed to get low income people insured in a more affordable way and to help cap the cost of everyone else. I assume you are a low income person?

5. I personally don't like this health care reform. A stupid plan put forth by the Heritage foundation in challenge to the Clinton plan of 1992. And put in place in MA - albeit with great success.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

~*~*~*~*~
    WhatUNeedtoKnow: The Affordable Care Act

"Think you might want to opt out because you don’t want to pay for health insurance? If so, you’ll have to pay a penalty of about $95 or 1% of your income (whichever is greater) the first year (it increases in future years). Considering waiting to sign up until you get sick? Sorry — that won’t work. If you miss the sign up period (which ends March 31, 2014), you’ll pay a penalty and have to wait until next October to sign up, and until January 2015 for that coverage to begin, unless you have a life-changing event, such as a birth, death or divorce, says Youdelman. Medicaid enrollment, however, remains open year round."

A cartoon to help
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Ilc5x...%3D3-Ilc5xK2_E

mtbr member

obamacare - sign up only when you need it? or why be honest if you sign up?

The way they have to combat that is the sliding scale of fines for each year you don't have coverage. It goes progressively higher till it's way cheaper to spend the money on the plan the try and game the system.

Insurance is something we all hope we never have to use. But having it is just the smart way to go. It's not perfect yet, of course there will be glitches and problems, but it's the next step toward single payer system.

The fines for the first couple years are laughable, but then they go up quickly and they have teeth. Say you Absolutly refused to ever buy health insurance, the irs can asses a tax levy against your assets (read house) and eventually once it gets large enough can foreclose. But that is the absolute extreme example.

I believe my info is correct. However I recommend spending an hour and reading all you can on the ACA .

Bill

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Q1: I believe after the initial roll-out that the enrollment periods will only be between October and December so if you became ill outside of then you would not be able to sign up.

Q2: You have to sign the enrollment form and if you lie on it it's illegal and you may end up in court, paying fines, and maybe even jail.

If you don't want to carry coverage you can either pay the fine or sign up for the least expensive option and the cancel after you file taxes. Also you may be able to sign up but not make payments and hope that if you get sick you will still be covered if you resume making payments.

mtbr member
    Q3: WTF does any of this have to do with mountain biking?