Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    the half breed devil

O/T joe pa is gone

PSU trustees fire Paterno, Spanier

yes, it's off topic. if you don't like it, navigate away from the page now.

otherwise, what are your thoughts on what i think is a sad and horrible story?

joe pa will probably expire within two years; football is all the man knows...
    Last edited by shekky; 11-10-2011 at 08:07 AM.

Afric Pepperbird
    Seems like a nice guy. But good riddance.

Must be that Catholic in him, to not report what he saw.

Life Is Short
    Angry Rioting at Penn.= white kids smashing their blackberrys and deleting themselves from facebook
    Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    I think its unconscionable to put an athletic team's prospects above the impact something like that had on children. Its absolutely disgusting. Some things are more important then winning. People have some F'ed up priorities.

I quit being a fan of pro-athletics due to the conduct of many athletes....more tattoos, more athletes bringing their gang affiliations with them, more bling bling, more stupid dances after every single play and these antics filter down to the college level. Sadly, I'm not surprised to hear about this Penn State situation. Clearly the people at Penn State didn't have their priorities correct and lacked character when it counted. Incidentally, I am hopeful that Tim Tebow does well with the Broncos since he seems to break the poor behavior mold in pro-athletics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Given he allegedly had knowledge of a 10 yr old sodomized in the showers at Penn State, I personally think this is the best he could have hoped for...

-edit- If he truly knew about these incidents & didn't report it properly, he should go to jail.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Remember when the Notre Dame student videographer was killed when the coaches sent him up on the lift to film their practice in high winds , NO ONE resigned or was terminated ..

It at least shows some shread of class to remove everyone who should have handled that sick POS at Penn state

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Pedophile State

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    .... But good riddance. ...
    Agreed. Watching the rally outside his house yesterday was like watching OJ going free, wtf was going through those idiots minds? Sodomizing 10 year olds in the shower isn't something to rally and cheer about.

Quote Originally Posted by 930
    Given he allegedly had knowledge of a 10 yr old sodomized in the showers at Penn State, I personally think this is the best he could have hoped for...

-edit- If he truly knew about these incidents & didn't report it properly, he should go to jail.
    He reported to the AD so Joe Pa is off the hook but the AD and VP are going to jail.

Afric Pepperbird
    If I see a major crime, I think I'll report it to my mailman, or my local dog catcher. That should absolve me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Let me preface this by saying I am not a Penn State fan. But I have always had tons of respect for Penn State and the legacy they (And JoePa) built. I always looked at him as one of the most admirable men in sports.

Not anymore.

Sure, he reported it to his supervisor. But he should have called the police as well. They still have some more house cleaning to do. If that were his grandson, you think he would have stopped at the A.D.? And how he could allow Sandusky to continue with his football camp is disgusting.

There will be some serious jail time done for this, as well there should. JoePa may be in the clear criminally, but I can assure you he will be spending some time in Civil court, followed by signing some really really big checks.

Bottom line, the whole situation is sad. I am sad for the boys who had to endure this treatment, their families for the same. And I am sad because what I thought was one of the few upstanding programs in sports turned out to be the most despicable of them all.

bust a move
    If Joe knew about my 10 year old son being sodomized and did'nt report it to police...being fired is the last thing he should worry about.

This should only be about justice for the victims, regardless of who's legacy gets trashed.

Probably one of the worst crimes there is
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    I quit being a fan of pro-athletics due to the conduct of many athletes....more tattoos, more athletes bringing their gang affiliations with them, more bling bling, more stupid dances after every single play and these antics filter down to the college level.
    Paint with a broad brush much?

No comment on the PSU situation. Already heard enough, pretty sickening shi*.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Sure, he reported it to his supervisor. But he should have called the police as well.
    I'm not saying that Paterno is without blame, but Coach Mike McQueary, who was actually a witness to the act, should have intervened and reported the incident to law enforcement. End of story. Instead he passes the buck, and why he has thus far been let off the the hook both criminally and with the university makes no sense to me. Seems that all Paterno would have been doing is reporting heresay to law enforcement.

My spelling is atroshus
    Not too upset over any of this.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    PSU trustees fire Paterno, Spanier

yes, it's off topic. if you don't like it, click navigate away from the page now.

otherwise, what are your thoughts on what i think is a sad and horrible story?

joe pa will probably expire within two years; football is all the man knows...
    It seems he might have known about a bit more than just football. If he did know about what was going on, and having passed info on to his bosses, then seen nothing happening about it, he should have taken it further. To not do so, and risk this behavior going 1) Unpunished, and 2) Continuing, is unconscionable, and he should be pilloried. He is as guilty as the guy who did the deeds.
    As for people rioting at his dismissal in protest, this beggars belief, and is a sad sad indictment of the sickness in this society. Sport more important than little boys getting buggered in the showers? They must all be catholics.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Who cares, i don't go to Penn state, I'm not going to Penn state and i will never go to Penn state. I hope he gets treated like that 10 year old he saw in the shower.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Shocking. Jocks having so much latent, twisted, pent up homosexual desire, that they need to take it out on little boys. What's the matter coaches, the college kids can fight back too well?

They should go back to just patting each others behinds after a good play.

Just one more reason to ignore any organized sport, as if money, greed, poor behavior, and the flagrant public displays of such weren't enough already.

Let's face it, you're being PAID, HUGE dollars to do what most folks all over the world do for free and fun. The least you can do is be a good boy and respect the impact you have on children.

We need a throwing up emoticon.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    I hope he gets treated like that 10 year old he saw in the shower.
    This, hope all involved do!
    How could you see something like this happening and walk away? If I did walk away it would be just far enough to find a police officer or a bat and I'd go back and wreck the MF'er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Paint with a broad brush much?

No comment on the PSU situation. Already heard enough, pretty sickening shi*.
    Nope. Watched plenty of sports in the past. It took me quite a while to reach the point I have. So no. No broad brush even if you don't feel the same way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    We need a throwing up emoticon.....
    Like this?

This whole situation is horrible. Young boys being raped and you don't do everything you can to stop it? Makes me sick
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Retired User
    We can debate this ad nauseum, but this statement is straight from the attorney representing a number of the molestation victims:

Board of Trustees got it Wrong

lost
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    I'm not saying that Paterno is without blame, but Coach Mike McQueary, who was actually a witness to the act, should have intervened and reported the incident to law enforcement. End of story. Instead he passes the buck, and why he has thus far been let off the the hook both criminally and with the university makes no sense to me. Seems that all Paterno would have been doing is reporting heresay to law enforcement.
    This

mtbr member
    I'm dismayed at the reaction of some of the students of PSU after Paterno was fired. It seems they were upset the football coach was fired by the Board and not that he condoned (through his inaction) his adult, assistant coach sexually abusing young boys. It seems to be a troubling set of 'values' the students have.

Some act as if the crime was something relatively minor like stealing or athletes getting gifts, not sexual assault of children.

What have we become?
    Last edited by Lule; 11-10-2011 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    We can debate this ad nauseum, but this statement is straight from the attorney representing a number of the molestation victims:

Board of Trustees got it Wrong
    "The board of trustees got it wrong. They should have consulted the victims before making a decision on Mr. Paterno," Ben Andreozzi said.

How does Mr. Andreozzi, obviously a top-notch attorney, not know about the Grand Jury testimonies and earlier investigation?

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lule View Post
    "The board of trustees got it wrong. They should have consulted the victims before making a decision on Mr. Paterno," Ben Andreozzi said.

How does Mr. Andreozzi, obviously a top-notch attorney, not know about the Grand Jury testimonies and earlier investigation?
    Joe Paterno was never indicted by the Grand Jury. Paterno has only been found guilty in an ad hoc trial-by-media.

But, I think you're missing the point; Mr. Andreozzi, in representing the victims of the crimes, is most likely representing the position of the victims as it relates to the termination of Mr. Paterno when he released this statement. I thought you might actually care about that.

the half breed devil
    this has turned into quite the interesting discussion on the subject.

i would like to sincerely thank you all for keeping things civil and i would like to commend the trolls for staying under their bridges...

--MB
    Last edited by shekky; 11-10-2011 at 09:55 AM.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    ...We need a throwing up emoticon.....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm don't think Paterno should be cleared from all responsibility, but it's hard to know what to think with all the hype. I have no sympathy for Sandusky. He deserves to get whatever hammer falls on his head. I'm more conflicted about Paterno. He had to go, but I'd probably let him resign at the end of the season. Now that the $#!% hit the fan, it seems like some people are jumping on the opportunity to drag his otherwise good name through the mud. he deserves some scrutiny, but some people are piling it on too thick. It's hard to know what each of us would have done differently. The whole thing is a mess.

mtbr member
    Joe Paterno was never indicted by the Grand Jury. Paterno has only been found guilty in an ad hoc trial-by-media.

But, I think you're missing the point; Mr. Andreozzi, in representing the victims of the crimes, is most likely representing the position of the victims as it relates to the termination of Mr. Paterno when he released this statement. I thought you might actually care about that.
    I can't argue the media point because I agree with you there, but Paterno is culpable.

The attorney's claim about repercussions toward the victims as being responsible for Paterno's dismissal is bunk. It is uncommon for victims of sexual assault to have their names released. However, if the names were leaked, I could envision a group of irrational students at PSU to go on a 'witch hunt.'

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eville140 View Post
    This, hope all involved do!
    How could you see something like this happening and walk away? If I did walk away it would be just far enough to find a police officer or a bat and I'd go back and wreck the MF'er.
    According to Colorado law section 18-1-704, you can use deadly force to stop a sexual assault. If I ever saw someone sexually assaulting a child, I wouldnt be going to my boss and telling him about it...

banned
    I dont see what Paterno did wrong? Unless I am missing some facts. He did not see it. He was not a witness. He did not know what was going on except for someone saying it secondhand. He then reported what he had heard and we can assume the best that he thought it was a non-issue or misunderstanding from there. The guy who witnessed it did not tell Paterno repeatedly or Peterno did not know it was going on.

The guy who witnessed it and did nothing to stop it, that is a whole different story.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    For the victims, it's an unspeakable tragedy. For Paterno, it's incredibly sad. He's lived almost his entire life for a game and, ostensibly, to educate the young adults who played it. But let's face it: he was a football coach. When he had the opportunity to show true character--to do something that really mattered--he failed abjectly.

mtbr member
    I don't buy the view that Paterno shouldn't be held responsible because he reported this to his superior. Wouldn't it be pretty d*mned obvious that nothing had been done after telling his superiors? I mean the guy was still an employee. A person of high character would have seen nothing done and then moved on to approaching the police. I personally would have told my superior that I am going to the police and then did it regardless of what my superior said. Paterno may have been told to keep it quiet. Somethings are more important then protecting your football organization or school. A person of character would have followed up on this situation with the authorities.

I've heard it said that we each deal with trials and tribulations which develop our character through life. Then a time may come when we need to draw on that character in a difficult situation. It is during those difficult times we demonstrate the real nature of our character. We are either prepared to demonstrate a high level of character or not.

bust a move

ncaa???

If college athletic programs have recieved the "death penalty" for egregious recruiting/pay for play violations ect. I wonder if there is anything in the ncaa rule book or charter pertaining to this kind of crime by a former coach (Sandusky) and a possible cover up by part or all of the program?
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 11-10-2011 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    The guy who witnessed it and did nothing to stop it, that is a whole different story.
    And yet he's still going to be on the sidelines coaching the game. Who knows what he reported to Paterno in the first place. I would put more responsibility on McQueary since he was the eye witness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitanan View Post
    If Joe knew about my 10 year old son being sodomized and did'nt report it to police...being fired is the last thing he should worry about.

This should only be about justice for the victims, regardless of who's legacy gets trashed.

Probably one of the worst crimes there is
    +1. This is only the tip of the iceberg. They did not part ways with Joe just because he did not report it to the authorities but for what is in the sealed report. I got a feeling Joe is going to be in a lot of trouble soon....

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    +1. This is only the tip of the iceberg. They did not part ways with Joe just because he did not report it to the authorities but for what is in the sealed report. I got a feeling Joe is going to be in a lot of trouble soon....
    Which sealed report are you referring to? The Grand Jury Report is public record. Here is the link

'All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing'

and as a side issue (that relates):
    An unsolved mystery

Centre County (Pa.) District Attorney Ray Gricar, who in 1998 chose not to prosecute Jerry Sandusky after allegations surfaced that the then-Penn State assistant coach had inappropriate interactions with a boy, went missing in April 2005.

Gricar's disappearance is still under investigation and has become a topic of speculation as the investigation of Sandusky moves forward.

Some believe Gricar did not want to tackle a case that involved a hometown icon. Others who knew and worked with Gricar say he was a meticulous, independent and tough-minded prosecutor who was unbowed by Penn State, its football program and political pressure in general.

Gricar's car was found in a parking lot in Lewisburg, about 50 miles from his home in Bellefonte. Months later, his laptop was found in the Susquehanna River, its hard drive too damaged to yield any information. A search of his home computer revealed a history of Internet searches for phrases like "how to wreck a hard drive."

Read more: Penn State fires coach Joe Paterno, president

Tool
    This mess gives guys like me a bad name!

In all seriousness, I would have done the same exact thing as Joe, to which I would have added the question, "So, now that we're both aware of this, which one of us will be calling the police?" This wasn't a pathetic-looking Pinette getting mugged on the final episode of Seinfeld.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    If I was McQueary, I would have beat the sh*t out of Sandusky when I saw the incident in the showers. Just reporting it would not have been enough. Honestly, none of those involved in the coverup deserve to remain free, they should all be charged with failure to report a crime against a child to law enforcement.

Foreign Entity
    I don't hear anyone asking for McQuery to be fired and his the one that actually saw the 'act', he is getting to walk the sidelines on Saturday as a coach.

Why didn't McQuery do anything (other than tell the head coach) when he saw the crime?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_from_SA View Post
    I don't hear anyone asking for McQuery to be fired and his the one that actually saw the 'act', he is getting to walk the sidelines on Saturday as a coach.

Why didn't McQuery do anything (other than tell the head coach) when he saw the crime?
    See the post directly above your post. They should all be held accountable for failing to deal with this situation appropriately.

Chum's quote is extremely relevant to this disgusting situation.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post

Chum's quote is extremely relevant to this disgusting situation.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
    can't take credit for a smarter dude who said it a couple centuries ago

it was Edmund Burke...an Irish political philosopher. Died in 1797.

High Desert MTBer
    This seems to say what I feel:

Joe Paterno, Arrogant to the End - Yahoo! News
    It's all Here. Now.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    This seems to say what I feel:

Joe Paterno, Arrogant to the End - Yahoo! News
    good article. just like the mafia. yup...

Mai
    mtbr member
    My thoughts exactly

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood and I,
    I took the road less traveled by and
    It has made all the difference. R Frost

mtbr member
    Shocking. Jocks having so much latent, twisted, pent up homosexual desire, that they need to take it out on little boys. What's the matter coaches, the college kids can fight back too well?

They should go back to just patting each others behinds after a good play.

Just one more reason to ignore any organized sport, as if money, greed, poor behavior, and the flagrant public displays of such weren't enough already.

Let's face it, you're being PAID, HUGE dollars to do what most folks all over the world do for free and fun. The least you can do is be a good boy and respect the impact you have on children.
    Not sure if I'm catching your point. Are you saying people who are really good at team sports have latent homosexual desires?

If you don't like the major sports leagues, that's understandable. Do you like any popular music or movies? I'd argue that those industries have as much if not more greed, poor behavior, etc than pro sports leagues. And this is not pro-sports so technically none of these players are getting paid.

To anyone that has any sympathy for "Joe Pa" - read the grand jury report. No sympathy for this greedy, self-serving piece of crap. As arguably the most powerful man in Pennsylvania, he allowed kids lives to be ruined. F you "Joe P" and anyone else who stood back and allowed this to happen.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Not sure if I'm catching your point. Are you saying people who are really good at team sports have latent homosexual desires?

If you don't like the major sports leagues, that's understandable. Do you like any popular music or movies? I'd argue that those industries have as much if not more greed, poor behavior, etc than pro sports leagues. And this is not pro-sports so technically none of these players are getting paid.
    Well, not saying ALL players, fans, employees of, etc, related to team, or pro sports have them, but it's long been a part of the broader culture to hint at it from the side lines so to speak.

The butt slaps after a goal, tight ends, wide receivers, showering together, the ultra manly man behavior, the rampant homophobia amongst many who are involved, one way or another. I mean, SNL skits, Letterman, movies, they all pick up on this vibe from Jockdom. Manly man men would never willingly embrace tightly on national TV, unless they are wearing tight pants, and just did something apparently awesome with a ball, cause if they did, well, that'd be gay.

That's where that came from.

No love for team or pro sports here, and pretty much ditto for pop culture, be it music, movies, whatever. They are indeed pervasive sellers of our cultural undoing. Not that I'm wicked conservative (definitely not) nor am I a Puritan in mind or body, but walk through my kids high school and you get a good idea of where it wants us to be, fully on display, hyper sexualized, and dumb as a box of hammers. Far easier to sell us crap we don't need, if we don't think enough to bother to ask why.

And indeed, correct, college sports is not by definition "pro" but one look at the money flowing around college ball, be it big round and orange, or brown and oblong, and it's hard to really tell the difference except for the actual paychecks, and who's paying who for what.

And a big thanks to Chum, that sucker is PERFECT!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

High Desert MTBer
    Well, not saying ALL players, fans, employees of, etc, related to team, or pro sports have them, but it's long been a part of the broader culture to hint at it from the side lines so to speak.

The butt slaps after a goal, tight ends, wide receivers, showering together, the ultra manly man behavior, the rampant homophobia amongst many who are involved, one way or another. I mean, SNL skits, Letterman, movies, they all pick up on this vibe from Jockdom. Manly man men would never willingly embrace tightly on national TV, unless they are wearing tight pants, and just did something apparently awesome with a ball, cause if they did, well, that'd be gay.

That's where that came from.

No love for team or pro sports here, and pretty much ditto for pop culture, be it music, movies, whatever. They are indeed pervasive sellers of our cultural undoing. Not that I'm wicked conservative (definitely not) nor am I a Puritan in mind or body, but walk through my kids high school and you get a good idea of where it wants us to be, fully on display, hyper sexualized, and dumb as a box of hammers. Far easier to sell us crap we don't need, if we don't think enough to bother to ask why.

And indeed, correct, college sports is not by definition "pro" but one look at the money flowing around college ball, be it big round and orange, or brown and oblong, and it's hard to really tell the difference except for the actual paychecks, and who's paying who for what.

And a big thanks to Chum, that sucker is PERFECT!
    Well put MCS!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    MCS, I'm going to stoke your fire a bit more.

Check out these numbers. I about choked.

Penn State football scandal will cost school millions - Nov. 10, 2011

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Whoa this has gotten way off track. Being gay is definitely NOT the same thing as being a pedophile. I'm not gay, but even I find it offensive that you're making that parallel. Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly, but that seems to be the connection that you're drawing MCS.

Edit: In regards to MCS's comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast