Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Oh, So Interesting!

My American Pit Bull Terrier Defended Me From a Bull Moose

I was mt. biking today in the Front Range of CO when I came across a HUGE bull moose. I was going about 10 mph down a rolling, rocky trail when the moose crashed out of the woods and onto the trail about 20-30 ft in front of me, WAY too close for comfort. I skidded to a stop and watched as the moose turned to face me. It was huge, his head must have stood 8 ft tall, and he had enormous antlers. I was deciding what to do, resisting the urge to run, but looking for an escape route... I didn't think I had much of a chance if he charged, but was poised to run at a 90 degree angle to the trail and into the densest trees I could find when my dog Dorje jumped out of the woods between the moose and me, ran at the moose, jumped up at him but didn't manage to get a good hold on the moose. The moose swung at him with his antlers, but Dorje jumped back out of the way. The moose was surprisingly fast and graceful with his attack for such a huge animal. Dorje responded by barking and growling at the moose, and stood his ground. It was a standoff... So, I decided a retreat was in order, and got on my bike pointed away from the moose, which was a downhill slope at that point in the trail (great luck). I called Dorje with a "Lets Go!", the signal I am getting on my bike and leaving the area. Thankfully, he backed away from the moose and followed me down the trail. He had a huge grin on his face, this was great fun for him.

Some pics from today and one from this spring:

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Shattering Glass
    Good job Vick.

ride
    Nice one Dave and Dorje. Bet you're glad you went west of the Peak to Peak today!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    You ride around with an UNLEASHED PIT BULL? People like you are why my mom is terrified to walk her dog anywhere outside of town.

Even if it's the best dog in the world (which it may well be, given this encounter!), this is only acceptable if you never, ever see a stranger on the trail or you own the land. No matter how good his behavior is, the other dog can always be the one to start a fight, and if it's on a leash you are the one in the wrong. Not to mention that a loose pit bull is incredibly intimidating - if I saw it way up the trail I would consider it necessary to turn around or detour way above it. No one else knows if your dog is wonderful or psychotic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good thing the moose didn't get to the dog. Even if the dog did get a good bite of the huge beast, It would probably be like a crawfish having a good clamp onto your index finger, at which point you just flick it off where it lands 15 feet from you.

trail rat
    nevermind
    Last edited by slocaus; 07-23-2007 at 12:21 AM.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

trail rat
    Davec113,
    You forgot the one of Dorje with his ears flyin' in the wind and the unbridled joy on his face running the singletrack. That pic does my heart good!

Give him an extra pat and a biscuit for the bravery and loyalty he showed you today!
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitrovarr
    You ride around with an UNLEASHED SPAWN OF SATAN? People like you are why my mom is terrified to walk her dog anywhere outside of town.
    Thats Hilarious!... or disappointing, I'm not sure which. Pits used to be viewed a lot differently than they are today, as a family dog, guardian of kids, ww2 armed forced mascot, etc... the Little Rascals dog was a Pit. Even modern studies show that your mom's golden retriever (guess) is more likely to bite a child than an American Pit Bull Terrier. Apparently your views are dictated to you by our media (thats the disappointing part).

It is true they are likely to be DOG aggressive, but thats completely seperate from aggression to humans. My dog does not happen to be dog aggressive on the trail, and will avoid fights if possible. I wanted this trait so I looked for it when I bought my dog. If he is attacked by another dog that is off a leash, then my leashing him isn't helping anyway. He has met hundreds of dogs in parks and on trails without fighting with any of them. I trust that he will not provoke a fight or retaliate unless he is viciously attacked.

I only let him off leash where it is allowed.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    That's awesome that your dog stood up to that animal to cover for you like that
    :wq

mtbr member
    It's not because it's a pit bull, it's just that I hate loose dogs. My mom's dog was once attacked by someone else's dog (ironically, it wasn't loose, it broke its leash) while I was walking here, and I've come very close to being attacked multiple times myself. I've been turned back on some bike rides because some redneck moron had his 3 dogs guarding the road, or something along those lines. And those were, in fact, golden retrievers or similar breeds, as was the dog that's come closest to attacking me - the only dogs I don't mind seeing loose are tiny, harmless ones.

It's extra bad because it's a Pit Bull, though, because they are more powerful if they do cause problems, and they're extra intimidating - a lot of idiots breed them for dog fighting so much of the time they're extremely aggressive. The fact remains that I don't know if your dog is a fighting dog out for exercise or the nicest dog ever bred - if I see it, I'll have to turn back, or circle around to avoid it, or wait for you to control it. By myself I might risk it, but I'm not going to take my dog by it, and my mom is even more cautious - a badly-trained pit bull could kill her. The fact of the matter is, ever since my dog was attacked she's extremely spooky around other dogs, and your dog coming up to her might cause her to attack it. However, she's on a leash, so any encounter is entirely your fault.

Just keep the damn thing on a leash and carry a high-powered rifle if you're worried about moose. I know the gun won't go off randomly, but I have no such assurances about your animal.

trail rat
    nevermind
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Here is some friendly advice. If you do not like something here on MTBR, use your browsers back button and leave. You will not change everyone on the Internet, no matter how strongly you believe you are right. Give it up.
    Wouldn't you be contradicting your own policy by posting it?

trail rat
    nevermind
    Last edited by slocaus; 07-23-2007 at 12:22 AM.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Nope, I'm in total support of Davec113 having the right to ride with his dog. He stated that Dorje is only off leash where it is allowed.
    Well, assuming it's true, it changes things a little. I wouldn't take my dog into a place where loose dogs were allowed.

I've just had a lot of bad experiences with loose dogs in a lot of places where they are expressly forbidden, and have a negative impression of the whole concept. You'd feel the same way if you tried walking with your mom and her dog several times in a beautiful outdoor area, only to be accosted by loose dogs multiple times per walk and nearly attacked about once per trip (which were only averted by getting between the dogs and shouting to scare the aggressor away.) All this in a place where dogs explicitly have to be leashed, marked at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Have you called local animal control or anything, mitrovarr? If this is really the epidemic you are presenting, they should be more than willing to help.

Regardless, way to ruin the guys thread with your ranting
    :wq

Midwest Rider
    Nice story! Enjoyed the pics too.

When riding my bike and I'm approached by a big loose dog I dismount and keep the bike between me and the dog. The smaller ones I outrun or turn around and they back down.
    Gary Fisher Tassajara Santa Cruz Heckler Hoffman Disrupter IL1 Suzuki DR-Z400SM | | [PICS]

ride ride ride ride ride
    that's one good dog. i wouldn't be afraid of any dog that appears to listen to it's owner that well...
    KHS FXT Trail - Marzocchi MX Pro

Redline Monocog 29er

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    going back to the scheduled programming...

Great story, sweet dog and awesome shots too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It's not because it's a pit bull, it's just that I hate loose dogs. My mom's dog was once attacked by someone else's dog (ironically, it wasn't loose, it broke its leash) while I was walking here, and I've come very close to being attacked multiple times myself. I've been turned back on some bike rides because some redneck moron had his 3 dogs guarding the road, or something along those lines. And those were, in fact, golden retrievers or similar breeds, as was the dog that's come closest to attacking me - the only dogs I don't mind seeing loose are tiny, harmless ones.

It's extra bad because it's a Pit Bull, though, because they are more powerful if they do cause problems, and they're extra intimidating - a lot of idiots breed them for dog fighting so much of the time they're extremely aggressive. The fact remains that I don't know if your dog is a fighting dog out for exercise or the nicest dog ever bred - if I see it, I'll have to turn back, or circle around to avoid it, or wait for you to control it. By myself I might risk it, but I'm not going to take my dog by it, and my mom is even more cautious - a badly-trained pit bull could kill her. The fact of the matter is, ever since my dog was attacked she's extremely spooky around other dogs, and your dog coming up to her might cause her to attack it. However, she's on a leash, so any encounter is entirely your fault.

Just keep the damn thing on a leash and carry a high-powered rifle if you're worried about moose. I know the gun won't go off randomly, but I have no such assurances about your animal.
    i know that everybody on a forum is entiltled to post his/her opinion (which is why im going to post mine). you tell him to carry a high powered rifle if worried about the moose, yeah because thats practical and safe , and then later in this post you say that on several trips you have been chased by lose dogs. so why not take your own advise and either change where you walk or carry pepper spray with you. have you never heard of an accidental discharge. work around guns long enough and accidents happen, guns that are "unloaded" will magically fire when doing dry fire drills. laugh, i have seen it happen. while you do say that only some idiots breed these dogs for fighting, the only sensible statement in all of your post on this thread, you must realize that the pit was doing the exact thing that it was breed for in the first place, protect its master/owner.

a pit bull is the most loyal dog you could ever hope to have, they are the best around children and have the best temperment of any dog you could hope to have. that being said if an animal or human attacks their master watch out. in case you cant tell by my affection for pit bulls they are my favorite breed and i hate the stigma surrounding the breed. so anyway like the guy said the dog was allowed to be off where he was anyway dont take this as an attack on you personally (hell i dont even know you) anyway sorry about the long post /rant off

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    btw..forgot to say great story and thats a pretty dog you got there

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ignore the haters/nitwits. Dogs NEED to be unleashed and run to lead healthy and happy lives, especially the sporting breeds. Running/sprinting is in their genetic make-up...simply part of what makes a dog a dog. Bike w/ both of mine unleashed here in the NE (places where its allowed) Happiest times in their lives, excepting the post ride snooze in the sun, of course.

*Great* looking dog by the way.

mtbr member
    Mitrovarr posted

UNLEASHED PIT BULL
    It's not because it's a pit bull,
    And those were, in fact, golden retrievers or similar breeds, as was the dog that's come closest to attacking me
    It's extra bad because it's a Pit Bull
    Mitrovarr
    Huh?!?!!!!!

Seems like you should be looking for a thread were the OP says that they went riding recently with their UNLEASHED GOLDEN RETRIEVERS

davec113

Great story, I'm glad to hear everyone made it out safely (human, dog, and moose).
    It is difficult for some people to use the two words "too" and "to" appropriately.

"I had to go where I went, to get where I am. Any other path would have taken me elsewhere, and I may have missed the joy."

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    Makes me wish I could've rescued a cute pit pup from the pound years ago, guess I'll have to head to the pound soon and find another to adopt. I miss my trail partners heads up awareness. I don't see half as many things without a dog pointing them out to me. Moose are not one of those though, they are freakin huge! My dogs once herded a young bull around my house!
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

skillz to pay billz
    my pit/sharpei mix chased a moose into the woods and around right back at us once. had to dive behind trees to avoid being trampled, good times. First time I felt the ground shake since moving from cali.
    Last edited by nOOby; 07-23-2007 at 08:09 AM.

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004

I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of this post before I tell you to shut your suck-hole and get a life. People like "your mon" scare me on the roads and highways, but nobody's is banning her from driving. Get your panties out of a ball, go back to your sanitized idiot-proof hyper-sensitive world , and let the man and his best friend enjoy themselves.

Excuse me, I need to go back and catch up on all the stories I've been reading about vicious mountain biking dog attacks. Skrew you.
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast