Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

MTBr Cries Like A Baby.

Video: Mountain biker loses sprint and cries like a baby | Mountain Bike Review

"Excuse me son, Eddy Merckx would like to have a word with you."
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

I dd what you see there.
    European 'roid rage?
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Anyone on here who has done any sport at a high level .. where you put your heart and soul into it. Know that you will have races where this happens.

Though most here don't realize how much more intense it is over there. Jouko and Oggie will know of what I speak of. The rider will have a huge group that support him and he will feel like he let them down huge. This isn't like our nationals where other then family and fellow racers watching and a few doing so simply out of idle curiosity. This race will have pretty much the entire country track side.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Htfu!
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Jouko and Oggie will know of what I speak of.
    I head that when Jouko tried to smash the trail to pieces with his clavicle, the ground cried like a baby. Both times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    I head that when Jouko tried to smash the trail to pieces with his clavicle, the ground cried like a baby. Both times.

When Oggie loses, everyone cries, and not out of sympathy.

GAME ON!
    if this was the difference between a career and a living and nothing, i'd be pretty pissed. the closer the loss, the harder it hurts. i don't know if i'd cry, but europeans tend to be a little softer...
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

ups and downs
    Apparently he dropped his chain twice, caught the leader and lost the finish line sprint by 1 second when he came unclipped, But still, quite a display for a 27 year old. Certainly puts Georgia Gould's teary-eyed heartbreaker finish at Windham into perspective, she definitely has bigger stones than this guy.

Belgium qualified 2 guys for the Olympics, so likely this guy and the guy who won will be there.

The last time I witnessed a meltdown with that much crying was at the 2008 Mont Sainte Anne Shimano Veli-Kids race where this 6 year old fell over and had a complete crying breakdown. He wasn't badly hurt, he just seemed overwhelmed by this race experience.

MTBr Cries Like A Baby.-2008_0727new0046.jpg

That's MHP's mom as the First Aid chief trying to pick him up, but he was like a crying sand bag. It took him quite a while to get calmed down and back on his bike, with a band-aid on his knee.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    And this guy is a mountain biker? Wonder what he does when some one beats his time on Strava?
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    Wonder what he does when some one beats his time on Strava?
    Same as the rest of us. Cries like a baby.

(j/k I don't have a GPS unit or Strava account, but a sample pack of tissues should definitely be provided to all GPS/Strava users )

humber river advocate
    shakes head... classic tea cup.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Lemmy Rules!
    What a pathetic display. This guy is an embarrassment to his sponsors. I get that losses at this level can be crushing, but have the presence in mind to at least go into your trailer or whatever rather than yelling at your fans when they are trying to console you.
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    What a pathetic display. This guy is an embarrassment to his sponsors. I get that losses at this level can be crushing, but have the presence in mind to at least go into your trailer or whatever rather than yelling at your fans when they are trying to console you.
    It seems to be a common European problem.

If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

ups and downs
    The back story... doesn't really make it much better

RockyRoads.net - Belgian Nationals video goes viral, the story
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Sorry but I find it funny the reactions from people here are. Obviously most here have never loved a sport like racers like this. But then again I doubt most here have. yes I'm being brutal but it gets old after a while. Probably the same lot that took shots at Perdita when she came up short at the last Olympics for spiking her shoe into the track out of frustration.

I can understand his frustration. I recall more then once breaking down when despite doing everything right things went wrong while ski racing. One year over 4 different slalom races crashed out . It's hard sometimes when you give it your all and you come up short somehow to keep it all together. More recently at the second edition of the Vulture Bait 50k everything went south in terms of how my race went. Mid race because my race fell apart despite doing everything possible to make it a success. Sure there are tears... doesn't prove anything more then you are human and you care deeply about your sport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    agreed
    how would he handle a real tradgedy in his life
    Team Van Go

humber river advocate
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

sheep in FOX clothing
    Lying face-down in the dirt (due to sobbing, gastric issues, medical distress, etc) after crossing the finish line is part of a complete race experience.

Flailing your arms at bystanders is out of bounds.

Same as the rest of us. Cries like a baby.
    Correct.

j/k
    Incorrect.

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    agreed
    how would he handle a real tradgedy in his life
    lol no kidding... what a cry baby.

Wonder how he would handle being told he has cancer... quit mountain biking?
    I sure didn't!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Sorry but I find it funny the reactions from people here are. Obviously most here have never loved a sport like racers like this.
    Whoa that's a pretty super massive assumption to make there.

I tell you, the ones with true passion are the ones who get out any chance they can and do it for fun not for a prize purse.

I can appreciate the guy is upset, but it's a first-world-problem really.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    Whoa that's a pretty super massive assumption to make there.

I tell you, the ones with true passion are the ones who get out any chance they can and do it for fun not for a prize purse.

I can appreciate the guy is upset, but it's a first-world-problem really.
    Maybe but it's hard to take seriously people on this forum in their posts here . Especially when they are being critical of others behaviour when they have demonstrated the same tendencies.

But the reality is that for the majority of North Americans grasping of what athlete's like Van Hoovels or say Kyle Jones go through. It's like some half wit of Occupy Toronto trying to claim he fully understands what someone in Syria or Egypt is going through. They don't.

sock puppet

when i lose

i kiss everyone...

even captain...

which is what i am trying to forget now....

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    When Oggie loses, everyone cries, and not out of sympathy.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    but europeans tend to be a little softer...
    wrong...

not softer... they hate losing more...

there is no "oh good try" when they miss an open goal in Europe, like in Canada...

you miss the open net in an important game and you are done... probably also beaten by the fans...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    i kiss everyone...

even captain...

which is what i am trying to forget now....
    And that is why I am crying, even at this moment.

For the love of doG, please let Oggie win. He kissed me where.........the shame, the shame....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    wrong...

not softer... they hate losing more...

there is no "oh good try" when they miss an open goal in Europe, like in Canada...

you miss the open net in an important game and you are done... probably also beaten by the fans...
    Yep. Joely played pro Volleyball in Italy one year and can attest to this. Another reason I fell in love with her. You want to piss me off racing tell me something from the participation realm. Ugh.

There was a great article after Sydney 2000 when Kevin Sullivan came 5th. A huge milestone for Canadian track in the 1500. When he was told good try and result with 5th by Canadian reporters his response summed it all up nicely... " Sure...... But it's still not good enough."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast