Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GAME ON!
    wouldn't have happened with flats.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Maybe but it's hard to take seriously people on this forum in their posts here . Especially when they are being critical of others behaviour when they have demonstrated the same tendencies.

But the reality is that for the majority of North Americans grasping of what athlete's like Van Hoovels or say Kyle Jones go through. It's like some half wit of Occupy Toronto trying to claim he fully understands what someone in Syria or Egypt is going through. They don't.
    I think you've missed my point.

I get that this guy is passionate about winning. I get the release of emotions that one experiences when the adrenaline is pumping. I have no difficulty with the fact that winning this race may have meant everything to him, and respect his commitment to winning and how crushing it might be not to win.

But this guy has sponsors and team-mates. As someone at the top of his sport in a cycling-crazy country like Belgium he is presumably considered a role model by some. For someone of this sort of stature, behaving in this manner in public is unacceptable. Lashing out at his fans is worse.
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    Would have gone faster wearing baggies.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post

I get that this guy is passionate about winning. I get the release of emotions that one experiences when the adrenaline is pumping. I have no difficulty with the fact that winning this race may have meant everything to him, and respect his commitment to winning and how crushing it might be not to win.

But this guy has sponsors and team-mates. As someone at the top of his sport in a cycling-crazy country like Belgium he is presumably considered a role model by some. For someone of this sort of stature, behaving in this manner in public is unacceptable. Lashing out at his fans is worse.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm sure lots of top level athletes feel like kicking and screaming when this sort of thing happens but they don't.....Maybe a tear or two or even a helmet thrown into the dirt (hey we're all human) but this guy definitely let his team/sponsors/fans down even more by acting like that.

Maturity has a bit more to do with it, I think, than being European or North American......

Lemmy Rules!
    Would have gone faster wearing baggies.
    If that LBS hadn't wanted to charge him for zip ties, he could have used a couple to keep his feet on the pedals
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by akura View Post
    M

Maturity has a bit more to do with it, I think, than being European or North American......
    On the other hand some mental health experts would probably tell us this is a by product of men repressing emotion. After all it's okay for women to get emotional and cry over stuff while men don't cry. Or so I have been told.

Though I gotta say this thread is so full of Testosterone I'm surprised none have us have had black suburbans pull up out front. And knocks on the door from the Centre for Ethics in sport.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

I dd what you see there.
    or.

maybe some people are just prone to throwing hissy fits when things don't go their way, while others are not so selfish.

Did Georgia Gould have the same reaction after pinch flatting on the last lap and being overtaken back at the beginning of the month?

Did Adam Scott toss his clubs in the pond after losing a 4-stroke lead over the final 4 holes last weekend?

Did anyone in Texas start chucking the spare baseballs and bats at their fans after losing the World Series after they were leading it 3-2, last year?
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    Did Adam Scott toss his clubs in the pond after losing a 4-stroke lead over the final 4 holes last weekend?
    To be fair, most ponds on PGA-tour courses are already full of clubs.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    To be fair, most ponds on PGA-tour courses are already full of clubs.
    I won't lie, several around here have seen some of mine!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    Nope, because he would have been back of the pack

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=XLNC;9535067]or.

maybe some people are just prone to throwing hissy fits when things don't go their way, while others are not so selfish.

Did Georgia Gould have the same reaction after pinch flatting on the last lap and being overtaken back at the beginning of the month?

Very good point!
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

I wonder why?
    On the other hand some mental health experts would probably tell us this is a by product of men repressing emotion. After all it's okay for women to get emotional and cry over stuff while men don't cry. Or so I have been told.

Though I gotta say this thread is so full of Testosterone I'm surprised none have us have had black suburbans pull up out front. And knocks on the door from the Centre for Ethics in sport.
    I don't think that the responses here have anything to do with testosterone.

His crying and boorish behaviour have nothing to do with the love of the sport, but his feeling sorry for HIMSELF.

Sh!t happens, the way one deals with it demonstrates true character. And in my opinion, sport is a test of both character and athletic prowess. True champions are those who prove themselves in both areas.

Just think how he would be viewed if instead of melting down, he kept his head high? He would be praised instead of being vilified and laughed at. And if you are going to sponsor someone, who would you want to be associated with?

i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

sock puppet

Hey Barry

You sayin' Tiger Woods screwing everything that has two boobs and is less than 30 yrs old all while his wife was busy raising their family is a good role model just because Nike still sponsors him??

I mean if Nike sponsors him he must be a great role model?

Or not?

The guy is still emotional after losing a race that he should have won based on quality. Yes shyte happens and it would have looked better if he "manned up". However although I enjoyed watching his tantrum, he is not less of a person in my eyes after the tantrum.

We can laugh at him from our arm chairs, but he just lost a big race and is mentally and physically drained.

Cut him some slack you bunch of wieners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

humber river advocate
    this behavior is unexceptable. that you are an athlete, or whatever does not exempt from acting like this. the only people who can get away acting like this are toddlers or people with mental health issues... then they need intervention and treatment...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Hey Barry

You sayin' Tiger Woods screwing everything that has two boobs and is less than 30 yrs old all while his wife was busy raising their family is a good role model just because Nike still sponsors him??

I mean if Nike sponsors him he must be a great role model?

Or not?

The guy is still emotional after losing a race that he should have won based on quality. Yes shyte happens and it would have looked better if he "manned up". However although I enjoyed watching his tantrum, he is not less of a person in my eyes after the tantrum.

We can laugh at him from our arm chairs, but he just lost a big race and is mentally and physically drained.

Actually, I am amazed that Nike still sponsors Tiger Woods.

And (for the third time) it's not that he was emotional ... it's the way he lashed out at his fans.

How long do you think I would be a Lapdog after a display like that? What would you expect Mattamy's reaction to be if you put on a display like that?
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    Actually, I am amazed that Nike still sponsors Tiger Woods.

And (for the third time) it's not that he was emotional ... it's the way he lashed out at his fans.

How long do you think I would be a Lapdog after a display like that? What would you expect Mattamy's reaction to be if you put on a display like that?
    Barry - those are European fans. Not North American fans.

Big difference. Different culture. Not better or worse. Just different. Very different.

Lapdog? Really? I don't know how long. You tell me.

Mattamy? Good advertising. Any attention is good. "I'm the cash man and a loan arranger" horrific commercial but it seems to work for the freak.

It is all about being politically correct here. Even if you make an arse of yourself. Gotta be politically correct. Gotta bite the bullet and calmly take the loss.

We are not all the same Barry. He is not ashamed of showing his emotions and they were genuine. I am ok with that. Seen it many times over the pond, even from Canadians (Pierre Lueders - Olympic bobsled champion - no one could sit 10 feet or closer to him in the locker room or else he would have a tantrum). I can go on and on. Been there seen that.

Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    Barry - those are European fans. Not North American fans.

Big difference. Different culture. Not better or worse. Just different. Very different.

Lapdog? Really? I don't know how long. You tell me.

Mattamy? Good advertising. Any attention is good. "I'm the cash man and a loan arranger" horrific commercial but it seems to work for the freak.

It is all about being politically correct here. Even if you make an arse of yourself. Gotta be politically correct. Gotta bite the bullet and calmly take the loss.

We are not all the same Barry. He is not ashamed of showing his emotions and they were genuine. I am ok with that. Seen it many times over the pond, even from Canadians (Pierre Lueders - Olympic bobsled champion - no one could sit 10 feet or closer to him in the locker room or else he would have a tantrum). I can go on and on. Been there seen that.

Obviously you have competed at a higher level than I - in fact the highest level ( not talking about biking here ) so I respect your point of view. But we are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
    Strava made me do it....

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Lashing out at his fans is worse.
    Pretty sure one was his mommy. Toward the end. And he yells at her like a three-year-old.

Glad he gets to go to the Olympics and give it a crack there. He must be a pretty fast rider to drop his chain twice and come unclipped and still be that close. Hopefully he figure out the issues with the chain and clips as well.

sock puppet
    Obviously you have competed at a higher level than I - in fact the highest level ( not talking about biking here ) so I respect your point of view. But we are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
    You are such a gentlemen Barry. Sometimes I do wish you were a girl so that I could ask you out for a dinner. Or two.

Otherwise, I will let Captain keep you for now. I hate to see him be single.

Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Hey We can laugh at him from our arm chairs, but he just lost a big race and is mentally and physically drained.

Don't you love it Oggie, when Canadians get on their moral hign horse and look down at others in this case Europeans?
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I can feel for the guy putting his everything into the race and the preparation that goes into it. When it comes down to it though, there's something to be said about being a professional and being a man. Emotion is a part of sport, and there's nothing wrong with showing it. Lashing out at people trying to support you and throwing an all-out hissyfit, however is not sportsmanship.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

humber river advocate
    i find it funny that some people here who are most vocal about the indignities of stereotypes are excusing this boorish behavior with a blanket stereotype grouping of "europeans". hypocritical to say the least and ignorant to the knowledge that +87 ethnic groups are in the region. europe is not a melting pot by any means
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

I wonder why?
    There are plenty of elite athletes from all over the world (and little kids) that demonstrate this type of behaviour. However, there are significantly more elite athletes (and little kids) from Europe and throughout the world who have had to overcome difficult challenges, haven't had things turn out their way, and they haven't behaved in the same manner. The ones who behave boorishly are usually called out on the behaviour. Not saying that is right or wrong that's just the way it is, especially for those with a public profile. Moms usually console the disappointed, but ignore the temper tantrums.

If hissy fitting its such a European thing, why not have all the losers do it at the finish line. I mean they all gave it their best didn't they and they didn't win for whatever reason. If they didn't have a hissy fit they would be perceived as not caring or not trying.

It would be very entertaining to watch for a time or two maybe, but after that I think one would have to turn away.

i1dry?
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

I dd what you see there.
    In a way I see Oggie's point as it pertains to fan interaction. As we've seen in the Giro, the Tour and this race, over in Europe the spectators of these sporting events are right there with the competitors. Over here in North America, our 'main' sporting events don't get to see fans get so close to the action. When the last time you saw a dude in a mankini run the bases with a baseball player that just hit a home run? The exception to this is of course Golf (get it? 'course, ' 'golf'!!!), and if someone tried to console Tiger after a bad shot, they'd probably see a similar reaction because we've all seen the stare Tiger gives the 'gallery' when he makes a bad shot and someone just happened to snap a twig at the time......

However, I still find it childish and would offer advice to this guy to "grow up" based solely on the fact that his temper tantrum lasted so long. I understand if you're upset and you smash you helmet on the ground or something, then walk away kicking dirt, but to continue the trantrum for several minutes after and through several different areas of the finish area defies the laws of 'grown up' anger management.

sock puppet

that about sums up my opinion as well - give or take

if this was a prevalent behaviour in sports, i'd agree with the majority opinion here, but for those few and far in between examples like this sucky baby - i understand it and would cut him a slack... keep in mind - this may have been his first melt down for all we know. we all go through meltdowns from time to time and there is no explanations for it.

certain character here who pretends to know everything about everything including trail building - now knows everything about other nations and their emotions and feelings... why dont you stick with putting forward YOUR opinion - no matter how stinky it is and let other people have and put forward their opinion...

you moan and cry to moderators worse than this MTBer when someone spanks you on the internet - yet you like to put down other people around here...

Hypocrisy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    In a way I see Oggie's point as it pertains to fan interaction. As we've seen in the Giro, the Tour and this race, over in Europe the spectators of these sporting events are right there with the competitors. Over here in North America, our 'main' sporting events don't get to see fans get so close to the action. When the last time you saw a dude in a mankini run the bases with a baseball player that just hit a home run? The exception to this is of course Golf (get it? 'course, ' 'golf'!!!), and if someone tried to console Tiger after a bad shot, they'd probably see a similar reaction because we've all seen the stare Tiger gives the 'gallery' when he makes a bad shot and someone just happened to snap a twig at the time......

However, I still find it childish and would offer advice to this guy to "grow up" based solely on the fact that his temper tantrum lasted so long. I understand if you're upset and you smash you helmet on the ground or something, then walk away kicking dirt, but to continue the trantrum for several minutes after and through several different areas of the finish area defies the laws of 'grown up' anger management.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2