Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012

Are most roadies Awholes?

We all know that most mtb'ers are helpful and caring citizens. I cannot count the number of times over the years that I've been asked if I needed help when I've been tinkering with my bike on the side of the trail.

Unfortunately, when I've been on the side of the road on my road bike, very few roadies have provided the same concern. What is up with that ? And the sneering of roadies on my non-roadie attire when they come up next to me.

Please help me explain this head - scratching behavior.

Ps... Please no flamers or neg rep if you disagree. Take this in the spirit of a bike discussion, not a personal attack on anyone.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    at least 65%
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Aren't all cyclist a-holes?

mtbr member
    There are snobs in every cycling category and some groups don't interact well.

Roadies may have a higher percentage of snobbery but I have known many who are awesome stand up guys.

There is danger in judging entire groups.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGABIGD View Post
    And the sneering of roadies on my non-roadie attire when they come up next to me.
    I'm guessing the "sneering" was directed at you personally, not your attire. I'm sneering at you right now and I have no idea what you're wearing.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Maybe you exude such confidence in your mechanical abilities the ignorant riders that passed you thought in their head, "I'm just going to look like an idiot if I stop" so they kept on their merry way.

mtbr member
    Yes they are!

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    Maybe you exude such confidence in your mechanical abilities the ignorant riders that passed you thought in their head, "I'm just going to look like an idiot if I stop" so they kept on their merry way.
    uh, no.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have the opposite reaction from roadies in my area. Most ask if any help is needed when someone is pulled over on the side of the road. I always ask and assist if needed , so maybe it is my karma working for me. Try it, it may work for you too.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy66 View Post
    I have the opposite reaction from roadies in my area. Most ask if any help is needed when someone is pulled over on the side of the road. I always ask and assist if needed , so maybe it is my karma working for me. Try it, it may work for you too.
    Could be Jones. Maybe its a regional thing . But in Houston, Dallas, and Los Angeles this has been my experience.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    Trails are more remote than roads so people are more likely to stop and help, also roadies are more likely to be distance x time oriented than off roaders sho stopping could ruin their whole ride, I've never been a roadie but that's what I would guess.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    The roadies I know are not like that. They have always been pretty helpful to others.

Bike Snob
    All the roadies I know are kind caring individuals who donate uncountable hours helping out at the local shelter and doing service at the Trembling Hills retirement home. That doesn't mean that they won't drop you like a bad transmission if you give them the opportunity.

Whenever I am changing a tube on the side of the road I spend most of my time fending off offers of help from all the do gooders.

Maybe you just live in the wrong place.

usually cranky
    maybe its your additude. after reading some of your posts on here i wouldnt stop to help you either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    there certainly are some... though not all (I road ride from time to time and hold a high view of myself ;-) ) no sense in categorizing everyone though!

Maybe it's your winning personality and charming aura that fends them off. You're so cool and awesome that they don't want to step on your glow. Or maybe you're just a dick; I'm going with the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

T.W.O.
    Certainly not the one on this forum...Noooo. Roadies ride on the street there's less urgent need to offer any kind of help or assistant to you if you break down. Do you stop and offer your assistant to every car that break down on the street?

If you are up in the canyon I'm sure they'd offer help when they ride pass you. Mtb are on the trail and sometime miles in the trail we are more ready to offer help on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I really loooove it when a giant dbag of a troll posts something dbagish and trollish and than demands not to be flamed or neg repped. Seriously, is your next post gonna be about how you refuse to wear lycra? Ooooh, don't rep me bro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ha ha...sometimes when I'm peacefully effecting a repair on my venerable Enduro (fixing a flat, changing a broken spoke nipple); activities that I enjoy on a pleasant day and view as part of mountain biking I can't get people to not stop and offer help. I have a pretty complete tool and spare part kit and know what I'm doing and really want to be alone.

I appreciate people stopping but a, "No thanks, I'm good," should be the end of it.

(The rear wheel is two years old and metal fatigue is starting to take its toll. Fortunately it's always the nipple and not the spoke so they're easy to replace. My LBS is building a new wheel for me...I have close to 4000 miles on the old one)

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    maybe its your additude. after reading some of your posts on here i wouldnt stop to help you either.
    My attitude? I believe you need to look in the mirror dude.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    I'm guessing the "sneering" was directed at you personally, not your attire. I'm sneering at you right now and I have no idea what you're wearing.

I sincerely hope this post nets copious amounts of + rep. And for the record, yes I am a roadie and yes I am an assh0le, in fact I have perfected assh0le. (o)

usually cranky
    since many people are voicing the same opinion it would seem my initial observation was correct.

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    I really loooove it when a giant dbag of a troll posts something dbagish and trollish and than demands not to be flamed or neg repped.l.
    You're taking this too seriously dude... And name calling when I asked a simple question shows you've just described yourself perfectly .
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    To all of you clowns giving me neg rep, you obviously don't appreciate the entertainment value of this thread... Please have a Budweiser on me.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am undoubtedly a dbag. After all I am a roadie. But I don't think you know what this word troll means darlin'.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast