Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sometimes, when I am on my roadbike, my natural instinct when I see someone with a flat etc. on the side of the road is to stop and help, but then, at the last minute, I snap out of it and immediately give them a dirty look and continue riding by and mutter "loser d-bag" under my breath, and drop the hammer to ensure that they see me fly off into the distance. Not sure why this happens Honestly, my experience has been about 50/50 - roadies and mountain folks being a-holes. I say its a small percentage of the overall participants in either discipline. Mostly, what you getting is people that are training hard and are v. competitive not being into chatting/saying hi b/c they are into their zone, certainly understand, don't take it as a-hole behavior.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGABIGD View Post
    Well this troll thread was an experiment and my first and only troll thread I will ever do. Fortunately I escaped losing only about 25 rep points.

I did not learn anything new...just confirmation that some roadies are aholes just like some mtbr members are aholes... And you anonymous neg reppers are typical of the small percent of Aholes on here who give net rep just because they disagree with you.
    Posting a troll thread and then flaming those who call you out on it is an a-hole move. Creating such threads that goes against MTBR's TOS and had nothing to add in terms of being interesting, providing knowledge, insight or enhancement to this site outside of the Off Camber forum - is also an a-hole move.

Going to the roadie meeting tonight?

They won't let me in. In fact, MTB'ers won't let me into their meeting either. I ride a cyclocross bike and they grow tired of seeing my "road bike" on single track.
    Last edited by Dion; 08-19-2012 at 08:07 AM.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

They won't let me in. In fact, MTB'er won't let me into their meeting either. I ride a cyclocross bike and they grow tired of seeing my "road bike" on single track.

Wave more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Wave more.
    YES! According to this thread and countless others, not waving and not stopping to ask if you need help makes you an a-hole.

Therefore, the 87 yr. old Chinese guy on a 24" girls Roadmaster with Walmart shopping bags hanging from his handlebar - is an a-hole!

ONE speed under God.
    Jul 2012
    Posting a troll thread and then flaming those who call you out on it is an a-hole move. Creating such threads that goes against MTBR's TOS and had nothing to add in terms of being interesting, providing knowledge, insight or enhancement to this site outside of the Off Camber forum - is also an a-hole move.

They won't let me in. In fact, MTB'ers won't let me into their meeting either. I ride a cyclocross bike and they grow tired of seeing my "road bike" on single track.
    I hear you Dion. As I said above, this was an experiment. I'm new to the mtbr forums, and I've been a participant of Yelp Talk for a few years. On Yelp, troll threads are common and sometimes encouraged. Obviously that is not the case here. Lesson learned.
    Nashbar SS 29er
    K2 FS Attack
    Cannondale R600

usually cranky
    clever trolls are fine, you are just an idiot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    There aren't many roadies around here so I don't know any in person. I did join a road bike forum though looking for some info and found a forum full of snobby we're better than you jerks.
    But the intranets is full of E-tough guys so who knows, maybe in real life they are cool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    MC Spandex needs to be consulted. Unfortunately I can't yet post links...

Someone needs to embed 'Performance' by MC Spandex.

But seriously, no, I'm a roadie and I'm awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGABIGD View Post
    We all know that most mtb'ers are helpful and caring citizens. I cannot count the number of times over the years that I've been asked if I needed help when I've been tinkering with my bike on the side of the trail.

Unfortunately, when I've been on the side of the road on my road bike, very few roadies have provided the same concern. What is up with that ? And the sneering of roadies on my non-roadie attire when they come up next to me.

Please help me explain this head - scratching behavior.

Ps... Please no flamers or neg rep if you disagree. Take this in the spirit of a bike discussion, not a personal attack on anyone.
    Roadies ride with less gear and very well may not have any tools on them that could be of any value to a broken down biker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    When I'm training I guess BIGABIGD would consider me an a-hole. Stopping would lower my HR and do the opposite of what Im trying to achieve. However, on chill rides I'll stop and help people w their bikes. This is what I have deemed the 5% rule: 5% of all ______ give the other 95% a bad rep. That goes for drivers, mtbers, roadies, people who jump over kids, jeep bikes, and squashed strawberries.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Here is the history of ******baggerry in each of the cycling sports in question here:
    Year MTB % of awholes Roadie % of awholes
    1980: 4 92
    81 5 90
    82 10 91
    83 10 90
    84 9 85
    85 14 80
    86 15 83
    87 16 82
    88 20 75
    89 22 75
    90 21 75
    91 20 76
    92 21 74
    93 20 72
    94 21 72
    95 20 70
    96 23 69
    97 28 67
    98 34 65
    99 39 63
    00 45 61
    01 00 00
    02 53 58
    03 55 57
    04 54 53
    05 54 54
    06 53 56
    07 52 55
    08 54 53
    09 55 52
    10 54 53
    11 52 53

You'll note that in 01 we had 9/11 and that year everyone was nice to each other and there were no *******s. You'll also notice that beginning in 1996 (the same year mtbr was founded) the level of awholeness in MTB started to raise considerably.

Hope this helps.

Bro Mountainbiker
    People are people. But I will admit that there is such thing as the stereotypical elitist snobby ******* roadie. They seem more common than the MTB variety. Dont know why. Some questions are best left unanswered.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    It's all about performance.

I wanna be #1 prick of the year.

I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    when i was a kid, we were messing around in a parking lot and this roadie came by and got a flat a little ways down. so he's walking back our direction with his bike, and i go up to him and as soon as i open my mouth to offer him a patch from my condo, which is next door to where we were, he says something to the effect of "don't come any closer punk".. i'm like uhh, ok.. have fun walking prick. since them, i've regarded them as skiers on bikes. i snowboard, and its the same crap with skiers. **** them man.

my favorite snowboard memory.. first day i was learning, about ten years go. i'm sitting on a bench trying to figure out how to take my boots off because my feet were killing me, and this old couple walks by. the old husband dude goes "oh why don't you sit at that bench over there and wait while i get our bags", and she old wife woman goes "you want me to sit next to the SNOWBOARDER?" i realized from the beginning that these people are a-holes. so yeah.. there's ******s everywhere, but when it comes to roadies and skiers.....

Front Range, Colorado
    Well without having read any responses in this thread here is my take on it.
    Let's see a MTBer is out on the trails amongst nature and all it's scerenity and beauty. A roadie is out amongst all the sounds and stress of all the crap around them. They have to deal with all the ass**** drivers and after so many years of that they become ass****s themselves. Just a thought no scientific proof to back my theory.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

see me rollin, they hatin
    depends on how expensive their carbon race machine is. (also watch out for bright spandex)

steel bike riders seem to be less of an issue

to answer you question, i've seen more asssholery in roadies compared to MTBers. But again, as everybody said "some are great, not all are bad, blah blah blah"
    fap

see me rollin, they hatin
    YES!

Therefore, the 87 yr. old Chinese guy on a 24" girls Roadmaster with Walmart shopping bags hanging from his handlebar - is an a-hole!
    omg! you have one of those in your city too?

we have one. but he carries huge bags of cans for recycling all over town.
    fap

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post

my favorite snowboard memory.. first day i was learning, about ten years go. i'm sitting on a bench trying to figure out how to take my boots off because my feet were killing me, and this old couple walks by. the old husband dude goes "oh why don't you sit at that bench over there and wait while i get our bags", and she old wife woman goes "you want me to sit next to the SNOWBOARDER?" i realized from the beginning that these people are a-holes. so yeah.. there's ******s everywhere, but when it comes to roadies and skiers.....
    sounds like a snobby old couple, i have never known a skier who did that.

Just Ride
    I dunno I've run into some stuck up mtb'ers too.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    omg! you have one of those in your city too?

we have one. but he carries huge bags of cans for recycling all over town.
    One? Homie... I live in the Bay Area, Ca. In a 30 mile radius, we have China, India, the Philippines, Vietnam, Mexico, Japan, Afghanistan... world travel all within driving distance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    People are people.
    So why should it be? You and I should get along so awfully?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I'm still baffled by the cyclist on cyclist hate. Don't we have enough problems, now we go after brothers and sisters? I have said it before, ride more, hate less.
    ergo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    I'm guessing the "sneering" was directed at you personally, not your attire. I'm sneering at you right now and I have no idea what you're wearing.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    So why should it be? You and I should get along so awfully?
    its obvious you hate me though i've done nothing wrong. i've never even met you so what could i have done?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    when i was a kid, we were messing around in a parking lot and this roadie came by and got a flat a little ways down. so he's walking back our direction with his bike, and i go up to him and as soon as i open my mouth to offer him a patch from my condo, which is next door to where we were, he says something to the effect of "don't come any closer punk".. i'm like uhh, ok.. have fun walking prick. since them, i've regarded them as skiers on bikes. i snowboard, and its the same crap with skiers. **** them man.

You and the OP, two peas in a pod. "I got treated badly by a member of group A, so all of that group are bad people!"

Are all people who over-generalize a$$holes, or is it just you two?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast