Thread: More or less

banned
    Jun 2011

More or less

Who thinks they, i.e., meaning yourself doesn't pay enough taxes?

I pay too much!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Who believes they are entitled to have kids?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

How much further ???
    Im going to take Maads advice and go for a ride when I get home today.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

My other ride is your mom
    Go ride your bike.

Big B's Trails
    I know that what I pay is ridiculously high ....'specially after looking around, and seeing what my government likes to spend it on... I don't mind paying for services such as infastructure and so on ... But there are lots of programs that could def. go by the wayside...so I feel I pay to much
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    I know that what I pay is ridiculously high ....'specially after looking around, and seeing what my government likes to spend it on... I don't mind paying for services such as infastructure and so on ... But there are lots of programs that could def. go by the wayside...so I feel I pay to much

Sure glad we have this!

1 billion in unused dollar coins have been quietly piling up in Federal Reserve vaults thanks to a government program that has required their production since 2007.
    The pile of idle coins, which so far cost $300 million to manufacture, could double by the time the program ends in 2016.

The Federal Reserve Stores $1 Billion In Dollar Coins That No One Wants : NPR

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    My tax rate as computed off of my 2010 return was around 12% so I guess I don't pay enough. When the country is in debt up to its ears its time for everyone to pay more and our law makers to spend less. It's really time for the mega rich to pay far more then they are. Their net tax percentage is probably around 3-5% which is criminal.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ View Post
    My tax rate as computed off of my 2010 return was around 12% so I guess I don't pay enough. When the country is in debt up to its ears its time for everyone to pay more and our law makers to spend less. It's really time for the mega rich to pay far more then they are. Their net tax percentage is probably around 3-5% which is criminal.
    Self employment tax... what the f-$& is that .... I get to pay extra to put my self to work... yea
    I pay about 27% all said and done. I think I pay plenty maybe everyone else should start pitching in instead of just the middle class
    I dig dirt!

How much further ???
    I agree. I was 1099 self employed for about 3 years. The good thing is you can write a lot of your expenses off so it sort of balances out. Guess it depends on what you do exactly.

The worst part is getting your gross pay check every couple weeks and seeing how much you would make with no income tax. Its depressing how much they steal.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ View Post

Top 1% of wage earners pay almost 40% of the total income tax burden. They pay their fare share. Bottom 50% pay only 2% of the total.

INFO

How much further ???
    The tax rate for income over $379150 is 35% for 2011. If the mega rich are only paying 3-5% than I fail to see what raising taxes on them will accomplish. Seems like the tax codes/laws need to be fixed.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    The tax rate for income over $379150 is 35% for 2011. If the mega rich are only paying 3-5% than I fail to see what raising taxes on them will accomplish. Seems like the tax codes/laws need to be fixed.
    the figure i have heard is that the top 1%'s effective tax rate is more like 15%, due to much of their income coming as capital gains. That is too little, and a reason we have seen an increasing concentration of wealth at the high end over the last ~10 year. Concentration of wealth to that extent is not healthy for an economy, and even a libertarian (of which i am one) will acknowledge the role of government is to correct for inefficiencies and monopolies in the economy.

@ImaFred - isn't self-employed tax the same as social security and medicare taxes that everyone pays?

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Just a quick search of the NTU, the organization which you link, is that they are against the death tax which I think is fantastic, and they are for deregulation which I think we all know after 2008 didn't quite work like they thought.

Searching for some IRS numbers. I am a firm believer you have to consider the % of income earned of all 1040s. % of income earned of all 1040s should be equal to the % of your taxes paid. The idea of saying the top 1% of wage earners paying 40% of the total tax really means nothing as it fails to illustrate what their % of total income was.

If the top 1% of wage earners makes 90% of all income and pay just 40% of all taxes then we have an issue.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post

@ImaFred - isn't self-employed tax the same as social security and medicare taxes that everyone pays?
    yes to a degree, doesn't mean I like paying it to them, I should have a right to pick my retirement and healthcare as I do already
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Everyone, liberal or conservative, believes that government should be smaller. The problem comes when you ask where the cuts should occur. Liberals always want to cut the military. Conservatives always want to cut social programs. Each time the government tries to cut something, our legislators are buried by the negative response from the defenders of that program. Strangely enough, every single program has defenders. Explains why Congress seems to become frozen every time they try to cut the budget.

I am not sure how relevant the question "Do you feel you are over taxed?" is to the discussion of the deficit. It's like the question, "Are you feel that you are under paid?", you almost never get a negative answer.

Life on a Sandbar
    It's patriotic to pay taxes; the more you pay, the more of a patriot you are. Do you want to be labeled as unpatriotic, or less of a patriot

Name:  a39e1092-18a5-4d8a-af04-d615065765e2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  41.4 KB