Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    illuminaughty
    hey,we've all been here for some time so if what I say or do "twists" you..that's your bad. It's all entertainment, I've said that for a long time. And yeah, I care about things. I'm just not part of he old school that runs the place. If you don't like my posts..freakin ignore me! It won't bother me in the least.

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by da'HOOV View Post
    hey,we've all been here for some time so if what I say or do "twists" you..that's your bad. It's all entertainment, I've said that for a long time. And yeah, I care about things. I'm just not part of he old school that runs the place. If you don't like my posts..freakin ignore me! It won't bother me in the least.
    So you're just having fun? This is fun? If so you need a fu#*ing life.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

velocipede technician
    you've intentionally been a time wasting do</>uche bag for a long time, so just ignore you?

sadly, this is the negative attention you crave so much

get help
    looking for 20-21" P team

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Wow go away for a weekend of backpacking in a biblical deluge, and come back soaked to the core, to this.

Sweet!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    you've intentionally been a time wasting do</>uche bag for a long time, so just ignore you?

sadly, this is the negative attention you crave so much

get help
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

Suspension? We don't....
    I know this is a pretty old thread but can it maybe go back to the warm fuzzy and funny? OP, you there? Here's a vid from a tuba nut to a Tool fan:

Tubas Of Mass Destruction 46&2 - YouTube

Retro on Steroids
    On November 3 Tom Ritchey will be inducted into the United States bicycling Hall of Fame along with mountain bike racer Susan DeMattei. I'll be there with Joe Breeze and Gary Fisher to honor my erstwhile business partner.

One of these days it should be our turn, since we created the sport that got them inducted. I'll get you some pix.

Certified Bike Junkie
    I agree, Breeze and probably Fisher should be in there eventually too.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    One of these days it should be our turn, since we created the sport that got them inducted.
    Indeed.

While you have his attention, ask Tom what happened to those Anniversary Everest and Annapurna Frames he promised to build. He did one road frame. The auction didn't bring in the $10k+ that he expected. So, he just threw in the towel?

Just to tease him, eh?

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy View Post
    I agree, Breeze and probably Fisher should be in there eventually too.
    Haha!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    One of these days it should be our turn, since we created the sport that got them inducted. I'll get you some pix.

Its starting to sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. No amount of praise or recognition is enough.

Looking forward to the pics though. Love Tom's bikes and Susan DeMattei (and her husband) are awesome!
    -eric-

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Its starting to sound like you have a chip on your shoulder. No amount of praise or recognition is enough.

Looking forward to the pics though. Love Tom's bikes and Susan DeMattei (and her husband) are awesome!
    worse than a chip on the shoulder is an empty wallet.

Retro on Steroids
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I'm starting to get one. Compared to my former associates, I get almost zero recognition. Why don't you ask Gary, Tom and Joe whether I deserve the same recognition they get? I value their opinions on my contributions more highly than I value yours.

I don't have a public relations company polishing my image, and I don't work in the industry that I helped create. I would not have cared about the USBHoF if they hadn't started inducting people who wouldn't be there without my efforts, e.g Jacquie Phelan and Ned Overend. Last year it was Mike Sinyard, who was a small-time parts distributor until Specialized started copying the bikes Gary and I were selling.

Two years before Tom built his first mountain bike, I had a guy build me one, the first ever. Then I had another guy build me one, that would be Joe Breeze, and he decided to build a few more since he was building one for me. These bikes changed the world and influenced Tom's design when Gary decided two years later that a custom off-roader like the one I had was a good idea.

I started putting on races in 1976. After we had been racing for a while, Gary and Joe joined in. Those would be the first downhill races ever, and now downhill racing is a world championship event, using exactly the model I came up with. My race became the first sanctioned downhill event ever.

Who were the first guys to commercialize the movement? Gary, Tom and myself. Tom wasn't risking anything, since he already had a thriving business, but he found that he couldn't sell this new type of bike because he had no connection to the market for them. Gary and I stuck our necks out, pooled our limited money, and created our dream in a funky rented garage that few here ever visited. Maybe you noticed that every mass produced mountain bike made before about 1986 was copied directly from what we introduced in 1979.

In 1980 I started a funky publication that got out of hand, the first MTB magazine. There wasn't another until 1986.

In 1983 a sanctioning body was formed to make it possible for racing to expand nationally. The meetings were in my house, and I was one of the two people (with Tom Hillard) who wrote the rules that became the foundation for the sport. Thirteen years later, the Olympic Games adopted my rules and made mountain biking a medal sport.

Work your way upstream in any of several categories of contributions to mountain biking. After you pass Gary, Joe and Tom, you get to me.

I am aware that some here consider me an arrogant jerk for wanting my contributions to be recognized at the same level as my peers. I don't remember any of my critics taking part in the activities that created modern mountain biking, and I question their standing to comment on events they read about somewhere, but had no part in.

Gentlemen, you may now light your afterburners and flame on.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I don't think this is the right thread for this discussion.

IMHO, JP and Ned for sure deserve to be in the HOF. They raced their asses off and brought national recognition to the sport. Sinyard, love him or hate him, brought mountain biking to the masses. Just look around and you'll see how beloved Stumpjumpers are around here and all the other retro sites on the interwebs.

I'm very sorry you don't think you're getting your due but like Confucius said, our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.

sftrydr
    Naw,
    Your an arrogant jerk for a lot of other stuff too...Like the time I wanted to get in backstage at a Sons show, you slammed the stage door in my face after I....Oh, wait a sec, that wasn't you, it was Bill Graham..but let me get up a list of CK transgressions, will post e'm asap.
    But seriously Chaz, seems like some have to die 1st in order to be recognized...

Let's not let it come to that, eh brudda
    Saully

I am aware that some here consider me an arrogant jerk for wanting my contributions to be recognized at the same level as my peers.

Gentlemen, you may now light your afterburners and flame on.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by ssulljm; 11-02-2012 at 08:49 AM.

artistic...
    Recognition in our days has very little to do w/ justice and more to do w/ political and marketing opportunities.
    Not only that but recognition means getting in a circus show of ********.. but also money.
    If you really want to go after that, you should ask those already doing business around their "recognition" like Gary Fisher to open up some doors.
    I am not morally against Fisher or against you going after your piece of real estate in the celebrity freak show i mean HIstory.. That's how things are in 2012.
    I believe you are a true pioneer and have the rights to claim your part in History.

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    All I know is that in the summer of 1981, I knew I had to have one of these cool bikes. I spent quite a bit of time on the telephone with you -- back in the day when "long distance" was a serious thing. You were patient with my ignorance and explained all the peculiarities of sizing on these new bikes, and walked me thru the best parts options for my plans to take this bike off to the South Pacific, so I'd have transport that could be carried in small boats between islands, and yet would work on tropical trails. It was the greatest bike I've ever owned.

So, I directly credit you with putting one of those fine machines into my hands. I don't have a vote anywhere that it counts, but you get my vote anyway.

Cheers!

. . .

I am aware that some here consider me an arrogant jerk for wanting my contributions to be recognized at the same level as my peers. I don't remember any of my critics taking part in the activities that created modern mountain biking, and I question their standing to comment on events they read about somewhere, but had no part in.

Trying to grow a mustache
    As a snot-nosed mook into Mtn Bikes back in the 80's, I devoured magazines to get any info or pics on this bizarre sport. Kansas seemed like a billion miles from Colorado, let alone Marin County. CK was my ambassador to the sport. A huge promoter. I still have my old Backpacker Mag with your article on unbreakable bikes. Forget anyone who thinks otherwise, you were a key player in the development of the sport that I love and has influenced my life. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mistaken. *drops mic*
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

VRC Illuminati
    I'm starting to get one. Compared to my former associates, I get almost zero recognition. Why don't you ask Gary, Tom and Joe whether I deserve the same recognition they get? I value their opinions on my contributions more highly than I value yours.

I don't have a public relations company polishing my image, and I don't work in the industry that I helped create. I would not have cared about the USBHoF if they hadn't started inducting people who wouldn't be there without my efforts, e.g Jacquie Phelan and Ned Overend. Last year it was Mike Sinyard, who was a small-time parts distributor until Specialized started copying the bikes Gary and I were selling.

Two years before Tom built his first mountain bike, I had a guy build me one, the first ever. Then I had another guy build me one, that would be Joe Breeze, and he decided to build a few more since he was building one for me. These bikes changed the world and influenced Tom's design when Gary decided two years later that a custom off-roader like the one I had was a good idea.

I started putting on races in 1976. After we had been racing for a while, Gary and Joe joined in. Those would be the first downhill races ever, and now downhill racing is a world championship event, using exactly the model I came up with. My race became the first sanctioned downhill event ever.

Who were the first guys to commercialize the movement? Gary, Tom and myself. Tom wasn't risking anything, since he already had a thriving business, but he found that he couldn't sell this new type of bike because he had no connection to the market for them. Gary and I stuck our necks out, pooled our limited money, and created our dream in a funky rented garage that few here ever visited. Maybe you noticed that every mass produced mountain bike made before about 1986 was copied directly from what we introduced in 1979.

In 1980 I started a funky publication that got out of hand, the first MTB magazine. There wasn't another until 1986.

In 1983 a sanctioning body was formed to make it possible for racing to expand nationally. The meetings were in my house, and I was one of the two people (with Tom Hillard) who wrote the rules that became the foundation for the sport. Thirteen years later, the Olympic Games adopted my rules and made mountain biking a medal sport.

Work your way upstream in any of several categories of contributions to mountain biking. After you pass Gary, Joe and Tom, you get to me.

I guess I see it differently.
    I know who you are. I'd recognize you anywhere but I wouldn't be able to pick Sinyard out of a line up. You're on magazine covers (both back in the day and recently), countless interviews in print and on tv. You're in the mountain bike hall of fame....first year inductee. Your print work is in the SFO Museum. Klunkerz is all about what you (and the others) created and are responsible for...you have a movie made about you.
    I'd hardly call this zero recognition.
    You did a lot and there isn't anyone that can say otherwise. But you also chose to bow out early on. Gary, Tom, Sinyard made a career out of bikes. Ned and JP are still racing to this day. Thats just the way it went.
    I don't know...its too bad you feel this way. I personally don't see any reason for you to...but of course, I wasn't there.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Kansas?

Where in Kansas?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    As a snot-nosed mook into Mtn Bikes back in the 80's, I devoured magazines to get any info or pics on this bizarre sport. Kansas seemed like a billion miles from Colorado, let alone Marin County. CK was my ambassador to the sport. A huge promoter. I still have my old Backpacker Mag with your article on unbreakable bikes. Forget anyone who thinks otherwise, you were a key player in the development of the sport that I love and has influenced my life. Anyone who thinks otherwise is mistaken. *drops mic*

gobsmacked Moderator
    This is a very tired conversation that doesn't belong in this thread. Prepare for the moving truck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    This is a very tired conversation that doesn't belong in this thread. Prepare for the piano moving truck.
    Fixed it for ya
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

banned
    Jan 2011

banned
    Jan 2011

Ibis?

So confusing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Monthly Sweep of IZ's and Other Random Topics-cornellfeb2011.jpg  

The Monthly Sweep of IZ's and Other Random Topics-cimg2697.jpg  

banned
    Jan 2011
    Love you people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Monthly Sweep of IZ's and Other Random Topics-cimg2737.jpg  

banned
    Jan 2011
    Tell me the s h i t you know.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Ibis:
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Team Brooklyn
    I don't know why I am posting to this inane thread but I guess these photos of me are somewhat appropriate for this forum as one of the cars (and the driver) is VRC - 1993 Euro 850CSi (4-wheel steering). The other is a 2001 Esprit. The tracks are WGI and NHIS.

Wanted: more of the same ... but different

banned
    Jan 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5sIXUbMgF0

banned
    Jan 2011

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234