Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Mongoose Deception

New to MB , Bought a Wal-Mart 29" Deception...

Tried to find some info online all I find is threads bashing WalMart
    and/or dumbasses who actually bought one of these like me..

Going into it I knew It was gonna have it's limitations..
    After all it IS a $200 bike..

So here is my review so far after riding about 50 miles of singletrack..

#1 The whole Derailer/shifting system pretty much sukks.
    I tend to stay in the middle ring and only use the top three gears.

#2 The brakes are soso I guess,I have never ridden a nice bike
    So I have nothing to compare them to.

#3 At 5'11" I think the frame is a little big for me....
    I MIGHT have an inch of clearance...
    But the welds are very uniform I must say....

#4 'I'm having a blast riding this bike..

#5 The seat really sukks ass,that's the first thing I replaced..
    I'm not planning on doing many upgrades to this bike,I'm saving my $
    for a Jamis Exile 1.......

I will probably end up makin it a SS bike in the future just for kikks..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45
    That's the most important point

#5 is also a pretty solid plan. At least you didn't drop $1000 on a bike only to decide this isn't really your thing
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you got a good grip on things. Ride the Mongoose til it dies or you break a part that's not worth replacing. In the meantime, save your money for a nicer bike
    "I like skinny jeans. Sometimes I wear them to the mall to get an Orange Julius." -Chim Chim

Former Bike Wrench
    New to MB , Bought a Wal-Mart 29" Deception...

Tried to find some info online all I find is threads bashing WalMart
    and/or dumbasses who actually bought one of these like me..

Going into it I knew It was gonna have it's limitations..
    After all it IS a $200 bike..

So here is my review so far after riding about 50 miles of singletrack..

#1 The whole Derailer/shifting system pretty much sukks.
    I tend to stay in the middle ring and only use the top three gears.

#2 The brakes are soso I guess,I have never ridden a nice bike
    So I have nothing to compare them to.

#3 At 5'11" I think the frame is a little big for me....
    I MIGHT have an inch of clearance...
    But the welds are very uniform I must say....

#5 The seat really sukks ass,that's the first thing I replaced..
    I'm not planning on doing many upgrades to this bike,I'm saving my $
    for a Jamis Exile 1.......

I will probably end up makin it a SS bike in the future just for kikks..
    #1 A tune up by someone who doesn't double as the BBQ assembler might help this situation (ie spend $50-$60 and have an LBS do a full tune on it, even cheap stuff can shift well if properly tuned).

#2 To be expected, most disc brakes on sub $500 bikes are mediocre

#3 29ers tend to have less clearance than equivalent sized 26ers unless designed with a dropped top tube. Your reach fit is the more important measurement. And yes, the Chinese weld just fine these days.

#4 That is the most important factor

#5 Seats are subjective, all asses are not alike.

The White Jeff W
    At least they got the name right
    No moss...

mtbr member

New question here. Welcome!!

hound dog--

Welcome to the Forum..

I have been posting over on the "other" Walgoose 29er "Impasse" thread here, but it is now a moot subject, as the Impasse 29er has gone away.

The reason that you could not find much info on the 'Net about your new Deception is that they are too new to the market..

There are some comments and one review over on Walmart.com concerning the Deception.

What color is yours??

Steady Eddie

mtbr member
    Hey Eddie,Mine is green,,,And it's turned out pretty tough..I took a bad enough spill
    Sunday Morn that I had to be carried out of trails on a stretcher...I'm beat up good..
    The bike is fine...

A bike brought me here!
    Thanks Houndog! I am thinking right along those lines, not knowing if the 29er thing is for me! I'm about 5' 10" I guess the color is a crap shoot....

poikaa
    "I don't ride a bike, I'm the pilot!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    #1 A tune up by someone who doesn't double as the BBQ assembler might help this situation (ie spend $50-$60 and have an LBS do a full tune on it, even cheap stuff can shift well if properly tuned).
    +1. I just worked over a NEXT-brand bike, and it's shifting rather well. It's a bit easy to over-rotate the grip shifters, but the shifting per se is spot on. Some adjustments might do wonders.

mtbr member
    I took a bad enough spill
    Sunday Morn that I had to be carried out of trails on a stretcher...I'm beat up good..
    The bike is fine...
    Hey, be careful. We don't want to lose you after only two posts. Stick around for awhile, ok?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    There is another thread already running on this topic. Its gotten pretty heated. Its suspected the Deception is sporting a Performance Access 29er Frame made by Dorel. Here is the thread:

walmart RIGID 29er

mtbr member

Good job! The color is Forest Green...

Quote Originally Posted by Poikaa
    Thanks Houndog! I am thinking right along those lines, not knowing if the 29er thing is for me! I'm about 5' 10" I guess the color is a crap shoot....

poikaa
    ===============

The reason I asked Houndog what the color of his Deception was/is: Over on the Walmart
    Bike Website, one Owner was a bit concerned that his Deception was not Silver (like in the example pic of it that I posted) and it was actually Forest Green..green would be good IMHO.

Another Owner was complaining a bit about how the decals on his Deception were put on very badly and were peeling off. Well----He did not know that this un-clear-coated decal deal is a blessing in disguise... It allows you to peel the ugly suckers right off..

It says "mongoose" on it in about eight places!!

So I guess that green it is..thanks again to Houndog...

And get better quick...

Steady Eddie
    Last edited by Steady Eddie; 11-04-2010 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member
    I wonder whether my local Walmart has any of these Deceptions yet. So far, they've not stocked any of the 29er offerings.

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    I wonder whether my local Walmart has any of these Deceptions yet. So far, they've not stocked any of the 29er offerings.
    ======
    Jon--

I *think* you can actually track this via the WM website...you go in and put your zip code
    in a provided box...the software locates *your* WM and will tell you if they have one..also,
    if you are silly enough to sign-up, they will send you an e-mail, if one comes in..

Our Super WM is brand new and the only 29er they had was that copper-colored Genesis
    which is really a mis-mash mix-up of parts, Disc brake in the front, and a caliper rim brake in the rear AND the finish was bad...no thanks...

The Deception is pretty rare And I think that if a store gets one in, it is sold that day..

S.E.,

banned
    Sep 2010
    Just order it online , shipped to your local store .

SuperClyde
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Eddie
    ======
    Jon--

I *think* you can actually track this via the WM website...you go in and put your zip code
    in a provided box...the software locates *your* WM and will tell you if they have one..also,
    if you are silly enough to sign-up, they will send you an e-mail, if one comes in..

Our Super WM is brand new and the only 29er they had was that copper-colored Genesis
    which is really a mis-mash mix-up of parts, Disc brake in the front, and a caliper rim brake in the rear AND the finish was bad...no thanks...

The Deception is pretty rare And I think that if a store gets one in, it is sold that day..

S.E.,
    I bought the copper Genesis- the decals on it are poorly applied but the color and finish are quite nice. After replacing the bottom bracket, seatpost, saddle and fork (went rigid) it's not a bad starter bike. I'm going to strip the decals and ride it till it breaks- then buy something better.

mtbr member

Hope Behold!!

Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott
    Just order it online , shipped to your local store .
    =================
    Floyd---

Of course you can order it...but..I am old school.

Before I buy anything I MUST behold it. I have to lay hands on it and covet it...

I have not seen one yet, either..

Steady Eddie

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by momosgarage
    There is another thread already running on this topic. Its gotten pretty heated. Its suspected the Deception is sporting a Performance Access 29er Frame made by Dorel. Here is the thread:

walmart RIGID 29er
    I thought that suspicion was just debunked.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

AZ
    banned
    Lets not let facts deter anyone from rampant speculation .

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I thought that suspicion was just debunked.
    Lets not let facts deter anyone from rampant speculation .
    The thread is still going. Lots of people have all contributed different ideas. I would say there is no definitive answer yet, until someone takes hi-res photos to compare the frames. Seems like this topic would be better served as a single thread, rather than two separate threads.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post7477174

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! They are two different bikes..

The thread is still going. Lots of people have all contributed different ideas. I would say there is no definitive answer yet, until someone takes hi-res photos to compare the frames. Seems like this topic would be better served as a single thread, rather than two separate threads.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post7477174
    ===========

momo--

I came over here to post for a several reasons:

#1. The Walgoose Impasse was a full-on rigid frame.

#2. The Walgoose Deception has a different frame and has a front suspension fork.

#3. Forum member Houndog45 actually HAS a Deception 29er, so this thread is the
    "go to" thread for all Deception questions.

The Deception does NOT share a frameset with Access, they are the "same but different".

I have located some Access photos for everyone to compare to:

And, the BB

I the top pic, you can clearly see the top tube is smaller and the length of the weld is longer..also the Access has a different
    headset tube.

The Impasse 29er is a completely different bike. And one that is no longer sold. Hence the need for two threads..

Steady Eddie

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The Impasse 29er is a completely different bike. And one that is no longer sold. Hence the need for two threads..
    The other thread isn't just about the Impasse. All the Walmart 29ers were covered in the discussion at some point. Just seems silly to clutter the 29er sub-forum with two controversial threads about the same thing.

walmart RIGID 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Let me know if you want pictures of anything else.Mongoose Deception-img_20101104_211625.jpg

Mongoose Deception-img_20101104_211907.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the pics.........

Lose the kickstand unless you plan to actually use it.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Great pics...

Yes, thanks for the pics..can you take a pic of the rear axle on the brake side??

S.E.

BTW--the welds look good....

mtbr member

walmart RIGID 29er

You're the only one who thinks they're the same frame

mtbr member
    "Dorel" doesn't actually build any frames.

Dorel owns Pacific, and GT, and Schwinn, and a host of other companies/names.

The products for the above companies are made by a few different factories in China.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You're the only one who thinks they're the same frame
    I never said the Impasse frame and the Decption are the same frame. I said that all the walmart 29er models may not have uniform frames in thier respective lines. Maybe I didn't articulate it correctly, but I was addressing multipe points, one of which being that procuement of the frames may not be from a uniform source.. But you can feel free to stay as confrontational as you wish.

"Dorel" doesn't actually build any frames.
    Yeah, they owns the factories that make the frames. Your point makes no sense.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Stay on topic!!

This is a thread that discusses the Mongoose Deception 29er..only.

We could care less about the Dorel Corporation, Huffy/Airborne or who built what/when..

We also do not care about discontinued bikes such as the Impasse..keep it current and on topic.

S.E.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    We could care less about the Dorel Corporation, Huffy/Airborne or who built what/when..

We also do not care about discontinued bikes such as the Impasse..keep it current and on topic.
    WE? It does matter who built it. Why take pictures, then? To compare it to what? Its like you are denying the possibility that frames are not uniform per bike model at walmart. There isn't enough input to put it to rest. Sure, its not the main part of the disucssion, but still contingent enough.

Lets loose our minds when laymen try to figure where something they buy is made and who did the manufacturing. Its a forum, the only thing we can do to uncover kernels of the truth is to continue the dialog. Not every utterance is going to be correct.

Its got what plants crave
    Yeah that pic doesn't look anything like the Performance frame. Still, I think the 200 dollar Walmart bike has come a long way, it looks at least rideable.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    I never said the Impasse frame and the Decption are the same frame. I said that all the walmart 29er models may not have uniform frames in thier respective lines. Maybe I didn't articulate it correctly, but I was addressing multipe points, one of which being that procuement of the frames may not be from a uniform source.. But you can feel free to stay as confrontational as you wish.

Yeah, they owns the factories that make the frames. Your point makes no sense.
    Dorel doesn't even own the factories...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Dorel doesn't even own the factories...
    You're kidding, right? Do I need to go into my earlier discussion about Subsidiaries and limited partnerships again? Go read the Dorel 10-K fillings if you are unsure about what I am referencing. If you don't want to or don't think you need to? Then wallow in ignorance.

mtbr member
    You're kidding, right? Do I need to go into my earlier discussion about Subsidiaries and limited partnerships again?
    Just clearing the air for "full disclosure"... Dorel actually "produces" kids furniture...
    I would be highly doubtful that they owned any of the manufacturing facilities

mtbr member
    Sorry to all for the hi-jack...I'll shut up now....

AZ
    banned
    Please post proof that Dorel owns bicycle frame manufacturing facilities . I'm sure that you must have proof that was gathered in your Nancy Drew style "investigation" . Proof or it didn't happen .

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm sure that you must have proof that was gathered in your Nancy Drew style "investigation" . Proof or it didn't happen .
    I'm not losing any sleep over it. This isn't a peered reviewed journal, so I don't need to get my references approved by the "MTBR review committe" before they are published. I've cited enough for anyone to go read the 10-K related documents. If you don't think Dorel outright owns the plants or doesn't have a financial stake in them, you are living in a fantasy.

My hats off to all you SENIOR members of MTBR, you're a bunch of dicks. Good looking out for the sport/hobby and community.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Please prove your assertion that Dorel owns them .

AZ
    banned
    Back up your claims with proof .

mtbr member
    Why should anyone care? I'm sure the beginners coming to post about thier new WalGoose 29'ers were terribly interested in which company owns the plant where the frame is assembled. Will they sleep better over their purchase now, have more fun riding if they think they bought the same frame as Performance Access 29'er, or will they just wonder why the thread is hijacked with various obnoxious minutiae? No one seems to have any interest in this except you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Why should anyone care? I'm sure the beginners coming to post about thier new WalGoose 29'ers were terribly interested in which company owns the plant where the frame is assembled. Will they sleep better over their purchase now, have more fun riding if they think they bought the same frame as Performance Access 29'er, or will they just wonder why the thread is hijacked with various obnoxious minutiae? No one seems to have any interest in this except you.

I contributed to the mess and I apologize.... You guys have fun and enjoy the ride!

poser Administrator
    I'm not losing any sleep over it. This isn't a peered reviewed journal, so I don't need to get my references approved by the "MTBR review committe" before they are published. I've cited enough for anyone to go read the 10-K related documents. If you don't think Dorel outright owns the plants or doesn't have a financial stake in them, you are living in a fantasy.

My hats off to all you SENIOR members of MTBR, you're a bunch of dicks. Good looking out for the sport/hobby and community.
    why does it matter who builds a frame in the first place. If the sette, performance, mongoose and specialized are all made by the some frame manufacturer in asia somewhere does that make one better than the other? Worse?

Seems like encouraging a rider to ride is supporting the community much more than trying for whatever reason to point out that they bought an "evil" Asian produced bicycle. Have a look in the mirror and see who is really supporting the community.

and what is your reason for all the e-hate? If you have a beef with bikes made in asia then I suspect that you probably only ride a bike made in america, that is sourced and welded here (probably a steel frame to boot) have a fox fork, and obviously single speed as most shifting parts are made in asia too. I suspect that you probably run the Raceface cranks, but the high end ones that were milled in Canada and of course the White Bros. freewheel on your paul hubs. Brakes? I would guess formula, hopes or hayes as I guess Europe is better'n asia in that respect.

Or is it Walmart perse? Is it that someone came into the mountain biking fold through a cheap bike and now already has designs on a Jamis?

Frankly I think it is great that the OP bought a mongoose deception (or for some reason I keep reading it as decepticon) and its a reasonably decent off road bike. I hope he gets a new "name brand" bike from a local shop some day and I hope he gives the mongoose to a friend for him or her to learn this sport and I hope they continue to pass it along ad nauseum.

If you don't like Walmart for their effect on the local economy etc, I sure as hell hope you don't buy your bike stuff online. Me I just don't shop at walmart, but I also don't spend my time proselytizing on the internets regarding the evil walmart/dorel/giant whatever. I support new riders no matter the bike because at one time I started on a cheap bike and like it. Now I ride a cheap bike and still love i plus i am too busy with vapor trails conspiracies :google it!
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Funny cartoon picassomoon, but if you are alluding to this discussion, its would seem that both charactures would be claiming to have a baseball that is not in plain sight.

mtbr member
    I would buy the damn bike if it was called the Decepticon! Maybe make another one in red white and blue and call it the Optimus Prime! They wouldn't be able to keep those things on the shelf!

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    I would buy the damn bike if it was called the Decepticon! Maybe make another one in red white and blue and call it the Optimus Prime! They wouldn't be able to keep those things on the shelf!

I know right...I was a little disappointed when I finally came in here and realized it was a hardtail called a deception. I felt a little deceived about the bike. Was expecting some sorta blocky, colorful, nicolai type frame.

Maybe something that could swap from road bike to mountain bike with the flip of a switch...and megan fox.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    and what is your reason for all the e-hate? If you have a beef with bikes made in asia then I suspect that you probably only ride a bike made in america, that is sourced and welded here (probably a steel frame to boot) have a fox fork, and obviously single speed as most shifting parts are made in asia too. I suspect that you probably run the Raceface cranks, but the high end ones that were milled in Canada and of course the White Bros. freewheel on your paul hubs. Brakes? I would guess formula, hopes or hayes as I guess Europe is better'n asia in that respect.
    You jumped in a little late. I was on the side saying "the bike frames are coming from the same place" and that some may even be the same frame sold on higher end models or sold directly at Pricepoint or Performance. I got crapped on for posting that theory, by those types of "bike snobs" which you accused me of being.

poser Administrator
    No I was pointing out that you are slagging a rider who is enthusiastic about his bicycle then accusing people of not supporting the sport.

The OP was obviously very excited about his bike (see his point #4), there was no reason to come in and turn the discussion to the merits or lack thereof of his choice in bike.

And you will also notice that just cause the bikes are made in the same factory they are not the same bike. Just built by the same workers/robots.

beware the grammar police
    am i the only noticing the site has been hacked and there is a GIANT photo of a road bike in every single posts and it has thrown the site out of kilter???????

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paco664
    am i the only noticing the site has been hacked and there is a GIANT photo of a road bike in every single posts and it has thrown the site out of kilter???????

Its you , not getting it on my screen . Try clearing cookies from your computer .

mtbr member

Idea! Thank you Mod...

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    ...The OP was obviously very excited about his bike (see his point #4),,,,
    =============
    rockcrusher----

Thanks for showing up and remembering the OP--"houndog45"--he wrecked his Walgoose
    Deception out in the woods and had to be carted out on a stretcher..I hope he is OK and
    he said his $200 29er was fine and survived with no damage...

You mentioned "Google" it..I did and there is very little out there.

This is why we need/want pictures, as darned few have ever laid eyes on one..

Steady Eddie

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Eddie
    =============
    rockcrusher----

Thanks for showing up and remembering the OP--"houndog45"--he wrecked his Walgoose
    Deception out in the woods and had to be carted out on a stretcher..I hope he is OK and
    he said his $200 29er was fine and survived with no damage...

You mentioned "Google" it..I did and there is very little out there.

This is why we need/want pictures, as darned few have ever laid eyes on one..

Steady Eddie
    I too hope the OP is ok. Stretcher and mountain bike ride and crash are three words I prefer to not see in any post but the obligatory "at least my bike was ok" makes it less scary in every instance and just follow the truth my friend. The truth is out there!

mtbr member

Good job! Thanks Jim...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Yeah that pic doesn't look anything like the Performance frame. Still, I think the 200 dollar Walmart bike has come a long way, it looks at least rideable.
    =========
    Jim--

Thank you for a thoughtful post (from a senior member with over 5 THOUSAND posts... )

Steady Eddie

mtbr member
    Dang guys,I just wanted to post a review on this bike for any other folks interested
    in getting one.....Sheesh!!!!!!

I think it is a good bike for $200....
    I do plan on buying a better one in the future from A LBS...

Much thanks to all who have voiced concern about my crash..

I'm not sure what happended I was goin down a pretty good hill with a bridge
    right at the bottom that is cocked to the left fron the hill....

I was riding with my wife,I took a sec to glance back to see where she was
    and I must have lost my line....

All I remember is thinkin OH Fukk!! I'm going off the bridge!!!! .
    My wife found me unconscious laying under bridge,my bike was hanging
    off the bridge with the front wheel turned backwards...

I tried to get up once I awoke but couldn't, holy **** it hurt!!!

I have a serious contusion right below my collarbone on my front side
    I was in and out of it,until I got to the hospital....

Nothin broke though,my helmet is srcatched up also......

well... i am glad you are ok........ glad the bike is ok also...

get a new helmet before you ride again....

mtbr member
    I crashed hard this spring, trying to ride over a two-inch thick branch. (Yes, I am that lame). It all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to formulate any thoughts at all. So I sorta know how you must've felt.

Glad nothing was broken.

So what bike does your wife ride? It's nice she goes out w/you. Mine is more in to sewing than riding.

poser Administrator
    Dang guys,I just wanted to post a review on this bike for any other folks interested
    in getting one.....Sheesh!!!!!!

I think it is a good bike for $200....
    I do plan on buying a better one in the future from A LBS...

Much thanks to all who have voiced concern about my crash..

I'm not sure what happended I was goin down a pretty good hill with a bridge
    right at the bottom that is cocked to the left fron the hill....

I was riding with my wife,I took a sec to glance back to see where she was
    and I must have lost my line....

My wife found me unconscious laying under bridge,my bike was hanging
    off the bridge with the front wheel turned backwards...

I tried to get up once I awoke but couldn't, holy **** it hurt!!!

I have a serious contusion right below my collarbone on my front side
    I was in and out of it,until I got to the hospital....

Nothin broke though,my helmet is srcatched up also......
    good to hear that the bike is ok. Whew....

might want to have a good look at that helmet. If you hit the ground with it hit the store for a new one. Better safe than sorry when it comes to helmets and your head.

hit it too many times and you have to become a moderator on MTBR.

AZ
    banned
    Glad your OK , heal quickly , get a new helmet .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Funny cartoon picassomoon, but if you are alluding to this discussion, its would seem that both charactures would be claiming to have a baseball that is not in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow, you must of had some sort of head injury to be going in and out of consciousness like that. Glad you are okay.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

Administrator Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paco664
    hello paco664,

This isn't a hack, but it's a glitch in our template loading incorrectly.

If you do a ctrl-refresh in your browser, does it fix the problem?

-g
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    I crashed hard this spring, trying to ride over a two-inch thick branch. (Yes, I am that lame). It all happened so fast that I didn't even have time to formulate any thoughts at all. So I sorta know how you must've felt.

Glad nothing was broken.

So what bike does your wife ride? It's nice she goes out w/you. Mine is more in to sewing than riding.

My wife has the Mongoose womens XR 75 ..I've rode it a bit,I don't like it a bit either..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Smile

I am happy with my purchase, I think its a nice bike for the money. I couldn't care less about who makes the frame. All I know is it rides nice & is fun to ride, I've been doing 5-10mi a day ever since I got it a little over a week ago. I went to walmart looking for the genesis 29', which the website said they in stock, but they must have sold it. I got lucky because I don't think it would have been as nice of a bike, it was pre-assembled the only thing I had to do was adjust the brakes (super easy) as they were rubbing. I would definitely recommend it as a good starter bike.Mongoose Deception-img_20101104_211658.jpg

Mongoose Deception-img_20101104_211446.jpg

Mongoose Deception-img_20101104_211715.jpg

Mongoose Deception-img_20101104_211932.jpg

mtbr member

Good job! Times two...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Glad your OK , heal quickly , get a new helmet .
    ^^X2^^

Really glad that you did not break anything..

S.E.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Awesome pics...

jcrip---

Unbelievable bike for 200 bucks...I like the gray decals on the down tube, set against the
    green paint.. a kind of an understatement, and not garish, like I imagined them to be...

An extra thanks for the two pics of the frame brace/curved brace at the rear drop out. I am
    surprised at the fact that there is a rear axle quick release (!).. Some WM statements said that the bike only had (or mentioned) a front axle quick release.. figured it being left out was
    a cost cutting detail, but there it is..

Matter of fact: the whole bike screams of the K.I.S.S. principle...

Thanks again..

Steady Eddie

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Mongoose/Walmart Warranty work..

I found this:

A: For parts purchases or warranty claims concerning bikes purchased at Wal-mart, Target,
    or Toys-R-Us, you'll need to contact our Mongoose service team at 1-800-626-2811 prompt 1.
    You'll need to have your model number and date code (found on a small sticker near the
    bottom bracket) for them to be able to process your order.

Does anyone know if this sticker (and it's number) is stuck onto a Deception 29er??

Being ignorant of the above fact, I would have figured that this sticker was for Walmart
    inventory control and it would be gone in a heart beat, only to jab me in the arse later..

Just a F.Y.I.

Steady Eddie

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

how much does it weigh?

I need

- inexpensive city-bike (coupled to a trailer) to run errands
    - needs to handle snow

I think the Deception fits the bill nicely.

Main thing is weight, have you weighed it? I'm guessing 34 lbs.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    WalMart claims 38lbs, with a shipping weight of 41.85lbs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-D...00000003229140

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    WalMart claims 38lbs, with a shipping weight of 41.85lbs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-D...00000003229140
    A reviewer is claiming 33.7 lbs after the kickstand is removed:

Well worth the money, 10/28/2010
    The deception has decent wheel sets and tires Modus and innovas. It comes equipt with a derailer hanger, the bike weighs 33.7 lbs after you remove the kick stand, thats great for a wal-mart bike and being a 29er, The feature I would to pass on to others is it travels down the trail just fine and I dont baby it, I would recomend getting it professionally tuned.The grip shift max's twist shifters work good after they break in , And the Shimano tourney derailers are not bad,The element front forks are stiff which is good you can always up grade in the future.Hats off to wal-mart putting a decent 29er on the rack. Over all great value for the price.

Cthulhu fhtagn
    thanks for the pics, post some more if you get a chance!
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

Cthulhu fhtagn
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpanzee00
    A reviewer is claiming 33.7 lbs after the kickstand is removed:

haha a 4lb kickstand
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

mtbr member
    I just gave my bike a good looking over since my crash,some pretty good scratches
    the chain came off...nothing is bent or broke,rims are still true..

I don't think it can be beat for $200.....

i went and picked up a deception today.... i did get the 20$ 2 year extended warranty for in case it breaks... ....

anyway... soon as i got it home the pedals and kickstand came off... then the seat was changed... then i put a different stem and handlebars.... and i will wait till the other stuff *(like BB and dérailleurs) to break before i change them........ it has shimano tourney components ..... i will put some hyd calipers on sometime in the near future.... snatched all the reflectors off......

first impressions.... solid... heavy.... the stickers came off with no effort at all and now the bike is naked...... rode it around the street a bit... no odd noises yet....the front end is basic and unadjustable.....

the frame is 17" but i fit on it fine *(i am 6'3" and 225).....
    tires/wheels are pretty decent quality.... i feel it was worth the admission fee.... i will post up when i break and replace stuff....

i did have to half reassemble it due to finding THIS......

but after that here are some more........

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 230lbs & bought the Deception about two weeks ago to lose some weight & have some fun doing it. I hadn't touched a bike in 10 years, and a bike with these features would have been over $1,000 ten years ago. So far, like Houndog (glad you're OK!), I think it's great & my fat old ass is having a blast!. The only pavement the bike has touched was the Walmart parking lot. I live in the desert & that's where it's ridden. And it's hard riding. Hard pack & soft dirt, rocks, sandy washes, snake & ground squirrel holes, dead branches & brush, cactus, etc. The 29” wheels sure smooth things out way better than a 26er, and I'm much more comfortable a this bigger bike.

I bought it assembled and took it straight to the local bike shop & had them do a tune-up & put puncture resistant tubes & sealant in the stock tires. I can't get the front derailleur dialed in to the shifter, but that's a minor issue & might take it back to the shop for adjustment. Rear derailleur & shifter work great. The disk brakes also work great after some adjustment.

Yeah, the decals are funky, especially because they're applied over flat (green) paint with a transparent decal (not clear coat paint) over the lettering. Decals do not adhere well to a flat finish. The welds on mine do look better than the photo jcrip posted. Maybe humans are still involved.

I ditched the seat & put on my spring loaded version from my old 26” along with the riser bar ends. Also installed rear fenders (waiting for two versions of front fenders to come in from REI) to keep some of the sand/dirt out of the drive assembly, & my face & back. I'm also using Easy Lube instead of oils or wet silicone which also helps keep dirt & sand off the chain & drive. Besides the fenders & dirtboards, I think the only other mod will be a shotgun saddle/holster but don't quite have that worked out yet.

The frame is built-for-stout. Me and the bike combined weight is around 275lbs (I also carry a bag of tools under the seat). I've done some wash jumps & bumps & come down hard enough to bottom out the front springs. So far nothing has broken except my butt. I was more concerned about the narrow alloy rims but so far haven't bent one. It uses good brand name components throughout, albeit the low end versions. I think with good maintenance practices & regular cleaning it should last very well.

And a word to the pretentious prats that find fault in lesser bikes – There's always someone with a “better” bike than yours. Do the $2,500 bike owners make fun of the $600 bikes? Do the $5,000 bike owners insult the $2,500 owners? Who gives a rat's butt? If I break this bike I might consider upgrading to a better one. But it's this bike that got me back into riding & I'm having fun with it. And that's good enough. Hoping to learn some things here & seems more civil than some of the other forums I checked out regarding the Walgoose.

mtbr member

Good job! Keeps on getting better..

HA!! Looks like Houndog 45's thread just keeps on getting better and better...

And, it IS a civilized thread, I think.

ALL of the pictures have been great so far..I smell a Walgoose 29er "fan club"..

I am tickled that my original hunch was correct.

The bike is a good value.

Keep the good posts coming.

Steady Eddie.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! for: Member Desertguns----

When in the High Desert south of Bend, Oregon, I carry my shotgun in a holster..

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm

Off topic, I know, but...

You are most welcome...

A bike brought me here!
    I received an email from Wally World and it said something about a big sale this weekend, so just on a hunch I went to their site and seen a bunch a bikes on sale this weekend. Competition with Kmart's "Before Black Friday" sale.
    Brought up the Deception and seen the ad changed to in store.... Hmmmm?

Rode down to my nearest Wally World and talked to the bicycle "assembler", he told me he has two in the box in the back but refused to show me them or even the color! Said something about a sale starting Sunday morning, this morning! Also he pointed out the feature sale bike rack on the endcap where several 20" bikes on sale for 49 bucks were and he said the Deception would be there in the morning! On sale?!
    Cryminney! I may get a Deception for less than 199 bucks!

I'll post real soon on this........

poikaa

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrip
    I am happy with my purchase, I think its a nice bike for the money. I couldn't care less about who makes the frame. All I know is it rides nice & is fun to ride, I've been doing 5-10mi a day ever since I got it a little over a week ago. I went to walmart looking for the genesis 29', which the website said they in stock, but they must have sold it. I got lucky because I don't think it would have been as nice of a bike, it was pre-assembled the only thing I had to do was adjust the brakes (super easy) as they were rubbing. I would definitely recommend it as a good starter bike.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20101104_211658.jpg 
Views:	2704 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	578011

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20101104_211446.jpg 
Views:	3339 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	578012

Name:	IMG_20101104_211715.jpg 
Views:	2770 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	578013

Name:	IMG_20101104_211932.jpg 
Views:	3008 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	578014

I want to mount a (disc-compatible) rear-rack, which requires an eyelet near the rear dropout. Looking at the above pictures, I can't seem to see one. Unless, it's hidden by the QR (in your pictures). Can you tell me if there IS an eyelet?

[ actually, those 2 silvery things near the QR, seem to be the eyelets ]

The rack requires an eyelet near the seat-stay (upper rack mount), but your pictures indicate there is none.

Planetbike has a Versarack (adjustable, to handle 29" tires), which has rubber-coated brackets to substitute as eyelets:

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/4004.html
    http://planetbike.com/files/4004-inst.pdf

=======

I now realize the above might not work, since the seat-stays are so LOW (below the level of the top of the rear-tire). I might need a JandD "mono stay adapter", to act as "substitute eyelets":

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMONO

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Deception-img_20101104_211715-2.jpg  

Last edited by chimpanzee00; 11-07-2010 at 05:26 AM.

mtbr member

Smile Rack options...

chimp--

Thank you for your post--

You are correct in figuring that you need a "disc brake compatible" rear rack.
    And the seat post mount is needed, too.

Problem being (unless you just don't care) is rust on the mount. That mount
    appears to be of a mild steel construction and, up here in the Great Pacific
    Northwet, it would rust overnight, thus looking terrible. They DO make alloy
    (Al) U-bolts and you can buy them at
    an electrical supply house (cheap) and you can buy the "strap" material,
    also in alloy (and thicker for strength) at Lowe's or Home Depot. Bend it in
    your vise. You can drill and tap (to M5 metric) this strap,
    and eliminate the attaching nuts on the back side (just use blue loc-tite on the threads)..

At Radio Shack (the Shack) you can buy heat shrink tubing for the alloy U-bolt.
    so that it won't mark up the seat post..

A true, lightweight, rust-free, mount, that you built yourself, for about $2.50...

You can run the alloy parts up against a buffing wheel (using the white rouge) and
    they will look like chrome.

Then clean them with alcohol and lightly mist on a rattle-can clear-coat and you are done

Steady Eddie.

p.s.--OTOH, if you don't feel "crafty", you can probably clear coat the mild steel stuff to prevent rust, too.
    Last edited by Steady Eddie; 11-07-2010 at 07:57 AM.

went for a ride this A.M. and had a blast..... it i got 2 punctures in the rear tire and discovered that my patch kit wasn't in my camelbak like it should be

*(why did you take it out and put it on the coffee table honey?? ohhh... ok that makes total sense.... but seriously don't you think it would have been a better idea to have left it where i had it so i could use it instead of carrying this monster out of the woods??? ).............

**(i love my wife)...

anyway in the short bit i was able to ride it i thought it handled well.... it didn't fall apart... no weird noises.... it didn't attempt to hurt any innocent bystanders....

*(altho i did notice when i was riding across a wooden bridge it seemed like it wanted to throw me off on my head so hounddog should be careful... it could be bred into it...)

will ride again tomorrow *(now that tire is repaired...) and hopefully will be able to properly wring it out...

A bike brought me here!
    Took the plunge!

I bought mine in the box and took it home.... had it assembled in less than an hour and talk about simple! Off came the kickstand, reflectors some decals, even the head badge fell off.... I'll make my own!

Rode it for about two hours and went about 12 miles with lots of rough terrain, the Goose did very well and my first on 29s.... rolled over just about everything. Yes it is sort of heavy but the big wheels and decent gearing power it on.... and it is faster than my Goosey Blackcomb, as smooth as my Giant 26"

Derailleurs need touch up and rear brake is a bit sloppy, front is good.... Would be nice to have Small Block eights!

Some pics.... (Brought my good camera)

poikaa .... Sold on the goose 29er!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Deception-goose2a.jpg  

Mongoose Deception-goose3a.jpg  

Last edited by Poikaa; 11-07-2010 at 03:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    chimpanzee00,
    Mongoose Deception-img_20101107_162025.jpg
    Here is a better picture, hope it helps. There are two eyelets on each side of the bike, & they are threaded.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wally World and talked to the bicycle "assembler", he told me he has two in the box in the back but refused to show me them or even the color! Said something about a sale starting Sunday morning, this morning!
    Only one of three stores near my home had the deception in stock. The only store that did have it, kept them in the back un-assembled. They only had three in stock and did not know they existed until I asked to see one. They are pre-assembled as was stated earlier. There is no sale going on for the Deception this weekend in California.

mtbr member

Good job! This weekend's Sale--

momo--

No sale prices on the Deception here, either..200 bucks, or you don't get one.

We received a WM sale "booklet" with our Sunday paper And, the Deception 29er
    was shown in it. And, yes the Marketing Guys STILL are screwed up, having listed as *boys*
    bike, and not as an Adult bike. A "boy" had better be over 5 foot 10 inches, or he ain't gonna fit it.

But the good news is that, although the Deception is listed as full price, ALL of the bike accessories
    are on sale at a percentage off list price. WM carries all of the Bell Line of parts, and even has
    Carbon Fiber bottle holders!! And, if they do not have what you want, they can order it, all at
    the sale price. They even have a suspension seat post available.

They seem to be trickling a few Deceptions out to a few select stores.

I did like others here, have done, and went out online, and it said the Deception is in my local
    store, so I may get the chance this morning to actually look at one..

Steady Eddie

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well I finally got to take a look at the Deception and now have some time to go into a little more detail. I was being rushed by the Walmart employee becuase they had to pull the box out of the back. So, no pictures. None were on the floor as I mentioned earlier and they were all still in the box. The staff didn't even know such a bike existed. Although I am sure that welding varies based on chance at the factory, the bike I saw overall looked pretty bad. As Tony Caruso stated the down tube is quite large and tapered at the end. Retracting my earlier statements, it can't be any other frame.

However I would add its likely the best bike walmart is selling now, but thats not saying much I guess. I had a chance to compare it to everything else the've got on the floor except the Genesis and the Impasse. The wheels are not something I would like to use, but still look stronger than the other stuff they are selling. I would say as someone else said earlier, the bike should be good for a summer to decide if you like 29ers. It won't last beyond that. If they sold it for less than $200, say a little over $100 and if it came with a rigid fork, I would say get it. But at $200 its simply to much for the quality level of the bike. Maybe they will drop the price around Black Firday time? Sorry to those that got into a heated exchange with me, but thats how I probe out answers. By being a very annoying devils advocate.

A bike brought me here!
    The head badge was hanging on by a thread so I removed it, here is what I replaced it with....

I think it fits!

poikaa
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mongoose Deception-headbadge.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well I finally got to take a look at the Deception and now have some time to go into a little more detail. I was being rushed by the Walmart employee becuase they had to pull the box out of the back. So, no pictures. None were on the floor as I mentioned earlier and they were all still in the box. The staff didn't even know such a bike existed. Although I am sure that welding varies based on chance at the factory, the bike I saw overall looked pretty bad. As Tony Caruso stated the down tube is quite large and tapered at the end. Retracting my earlier statements, it can't be any other frame.

However I would add its likely the best bike walmart is selling now, but thats not saying much I guess. I had a chance to compare it to everything else the've got on the floor except the Genesis and the Impasse. The wheels are not something I would like to use, but still look stronger than the other stuff they are selling. I would say as someone else said earlier, the bike should be good for a summer to decide if you like 29ers. It won't last beyond that. If they sold it for less than $200, say a little over $100 and if it came with a rigid fork, I would say get it. But at $200 its simply to much for the quality level of the bike. Maybe they will drop the price around Black Firday time? Sorry to those that got into a heated exchange with me, but thats how I probe out answers. By being a very annoying devils advocate.

Only time will tell..............I still think you can't beat it for $200

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Only time will tell..............I still think you can't beat it for $200
    They wouldn't let me take it completely out of the box. I could only peer inside the open top of the box and reach my hand in. I was able to take the front wheel out and examine it. There are many reported problems on the Walmart site for this bike. Broken seatpost is most common, I'll also bet the handle bar isn't much stronger and will snap in a similar way. The stem and headset looked good enough though. The grip shifts are SRAM and looked like the ones I see for sale in retail channels. The disc brakes as far as I could tell, would likley be functional if adjusted correctly. The rear cassette and crankset are junk and will easliy die a quick death along with the rear derailleur. The front derailleur isn't all that great but I can't imagine any reason for it to spontaneously combust. The wheel set IF built right could last, but I think they would need to be looked over immediately after purchase. The fork looks like complete junk and I am not sure why they didn't go with a rigid fork. It would have made the bike even less expensive.

mtbr member
    Looks like that 'goose could be a good rigid SS 29er

A bike brought me here!
    They wouldn't let me take it completely out of the box. I could only peer inside the open top of the box and reach my hand in. I was able to take the front wheel out and examine it. There are many reported problems on the Walmart site for this bike. Broken seatpost is most common, I'll also bet the handle bar isn't much stronger and will snap in a similar way. The stem and headset looked good enough though. The grip shifts are SRAM and looked like the ones I see for sale in retail channels. The disc brakes as far as I could tell, would likley be functional if adjusted correctly. The rear cassette and crankset are junk and will easliy die a quick death along with the rear derailleur. The front derailleur isn't all that great but I can't imagine any reason for it to spontaneously combust. The wheel set IF built right could last, but I think they would need to be looked over immediately after purchase. The fork looks like complete junk and I am not sure why they didn't go with a rigid fork. It would have made the bike even less expensive.
    Mine is working well and the shifters have broken in and rather quickly, so far all is well. I would not try to push the bike but it is good for a casual ride!
    This winter I am going to take it down and lube everything. I may try to boost the height of the frame at the fork tube. Brakes are good but the rear are a little weak, might be a cable adjustment or maybe a cable is too long. The rear derailleur is part plastic and I cannot see it lasting too long, as long as you shift it 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, then 7,6,5,4,3,2,1 it should last. Cassette is cheap but the hub looks to be good as with the front. I do not like the seat and may change it out, it is like a pine board!
    The paint job is interesting but thin, seems to be a color change with black as the fade away. It too will need a paint job sometime. I tipped the bike as I rode it and the wheels did not creak and held true, spokes are cheap steel. I spun it around in a eight by eight foot square, standing on the pedals so I think it is well balanced. The fork is cheap and a ridged would be better or a more expensive suspension, maybe a lefty? The BB is cheap, same as on my Blackcomb but seems to hold up good. Aluminum pedals and not bad ones at that! Must be all the recycled Budweiser cans!
    Front gear set is riveted and cheap steel, chain is good. Bars seem good but the twisty shifters gotta go soon.... I prefer clickers! I think the brake and shift cables are cheap as the seems to relay the movement with a delay. Rims seem ok but the tires dig in too much, better off with small blocks and the resemble Kenda Tomac Nevegals. Yeah! the bike is worth the two hundred.... to make the needed improvements one would be better off to buy a good 800 dollar Giant.

All in all, I'm having fun for my two Bens!

poikaa

A bike brought me here!
    Quote Originally Posted by rudymexico
    Looks like that 'goose could be a good rigid SS 29er

Good idea!
    I think it would! Shallow drop outs, one would need an idler pulley...

saddlemeat
    I would buy a used bike from a local bike shop if I could. Thrifty nickle or Craig's list if that's what it takes. If you like these walgooses you will think you've died and gone to heaven on a nineties or later vintage mountain bike. 1 1/8" headtube is a bonus. If you can blog on the forums you can know. Not sure who's a shill for wally here but a word to the wise... 90's vintage bikes weren't that great.

PS If you have no choice but to ride one of these bikes I want you to know that I pray for you often, there are better day's ahead. Seriously.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    I would buy a used bike from a local bike shop if I could. Thrifty nickle or Craig's list if that's what it takes. If you like these walgooses you will think you've died and gone to heaven on a nineties or later vintage mountain bike. 1 1/8" headtube is a bonus. If you can blog on the forums you can know. Not sure who's a shill for wally here but a word to the wise... 90's vintage bikes weren't that great.

PS If you have no choice but to ride one of these bikes I want you to know that I pray for you often, there are better day's ahead. Seriously.
    You my kind sir are not worth a real explanation and a lot of my time... But I will say you are not promoting the sport and do have your snobby ass "bike porn" attitude well noted in your over "1000" posts.

Leave the boys alone... and be thankful they are indulging in the sport of Mtn Biking

A bike brought me here!
    The Goose is working as it should with a few well placed kicks! As soon as I get back to work, it's a Giant Talon 1 or 2 in my sights!
    A 29er is the way to go and I'll still use my 6er....

poikaa

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by flyag1
    You my kind sir are not worth a real explanation and a lot of my time... But I will say you are not promoting the sport and do have your snobby ass "bike porn" attitude well noted in your over "1000" posts.

Leave the boys alone... and be thankful they are indulging in the sport of Mtn Biking
    Not sure what sport you're promoting, other than patronizing ignorance. I would prefer folks know what they are getting into, and honesty is the best policy. Those bikes discourage budding riders.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Those bikes discourage budding riders.
    As evidenced by the multiple discouraged riders posting in these threads?

$400 for a bike discourages budding riders. And telling a new rider to buy used is silly unless you're going with them. Anyone who isn't already a bicycle expert will most likely get ripped off trying to buy a used bicycle, because they won't know what's junk and what's good.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo

$400 for a bike discourages budding riders. And telling a new rider to buy used is silly unless you're going with them. Anyone who isn't already a bicycle expert will most likely get ripped off trying to buy a used bicycle, because they won't know what's junk and what's good.
    You think there is worse junk out there? You have a better chance of NOT getting ripped off buying used, at least there is the possibility of a decent bike. Buying used from an LBS can get you hooked into the biking community, where more experienced riders can look out for the beginner, donate used equipment, make things work out. I think you do a disservice by holding out the possibility of decent $200 bikes. They are a $25 frame with $75 worth of marginal components, not worth anywhere near $200. We are talking mountain biking right?

mtbr member

Good job! Amen, brother...

Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo

==============

El C--

I couldn't say this any better..thank you. If a Deception 29er owner keeps it lubed and adjusted, it will last a good long time.

Has anyone ran a button magnet over it yet?? Which parts are mild steel?? It does seem
    to be heavy for what it is. Also, should you decide to remove the OE kickstand, be aware
    that it maybe a one-of-a-kind unit, made length appropriate for a 29er..consider saving it to a drawer, or a Shop shelf, it may be difficult to replace, IF you ever decide to go back.

I think that each Deception Owner should dis-assemble the BB and the headset to be "sure" that they are lubed correctly...it is a known issue that the Walgoose's are shipped short on grease.

I tried to find out what the expected life span of the stock, Shimano Tourney SIS rear derailleur is...
    found nothing other than a bunch of 4 and 5 star ratings from users.

Ride it out smiling..

S.E.
    Last edited by Steady Eddie; 11-09-2010 at 09:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think you do a disservice by holding out the possibility of decent $200 bikes. They are a $25 frame with $75 worth of marginal components, not worth anywhere near $200. We are talking mountain biking right?
    Well well bsied, you sound more and more like a bike snob. And you just don't get it... so let me help you out.

I live next to a Urban Trail system... I pretty much ride everyday and see a lot of new riders on all sorts of mtn bikes. Most have 50 lbs of air in there tires, have there shocks setup wrong, and many already have bloody legs and cut up hands from sliding out on our loose over hard pack. People like you see new riders and note there cheap ass equipment and make snotty comments like: "a better bike will make you a better rider". Whereas I will stop and give my time to the new riders... help them find there way around the trails and offer some advice on how best to setup there equipment. It doesn't make a damn if they're on a brand new 29" stump jumper like yours or a $200 wal mart bike... new riders need support... and who is better to give them some encouragement than seasoned rider's! They sure don't need you telling them there equipment is not up to the challenge because they didn't pay $3,000 at the local bike shop for the privilege of riding. As they mature as riders, they will understand the need for better equipment.

If a seasoned rider is on a department store bike your not going to tell him anything about his / her equipment they don't already know. When it comes to new riders, well they may not see the value or maybe they don't have the cash to ride you brand of bike... nor do they have the skills...... So stop with all the negative remarks and step up to the plate as a mentor, supporter....and keep more people on the trails

mtbr member

Idea!

. We are talking mountain biking right?
    No, we are not. WM clearly says the Walgoose 29er is an "all terrain" bike and NOT a
    mountain bike...there is a difference..

S.E.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4