Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    banned

Is Mars Curiosity Lander a waste of money (no comments censored here)

Space flight is cool. Mars is cool. Astronauts are cool. I wanted to be an Air Force Pilot and an Astronaut when I was young. I watch all the science fiction movies about space. I loved Star Wars and grew up on Star Trek. Space Ghost was my favorite cartoon. I even made power bands like he had to zap my sister with.

I'd like to hear both positive and negative comments regarding the money being spent on space exploration. Is it worth it? Did we get our money's worth going to the moon. I assume nobody here thinks the moon landing was a hoax. Should we stop spending money on space exploration until after we save the U.S. economy and get people on earth (in the U.S.) jobs? Do hungry families, with out of work parents, enjoy watching robots taking pictures of Mars as much as fully employed people with fat 401k's? It's your hard earned money they are spending. Do you feel it would be better spent elsewhere, or not spent at all?

Discuss. I promise not to delete posts that don't fall in line and I promise not to negative rep anyone who doesn't share my point of view. The same can't be said on the other Mars Curiosity thread (man, I lost 7 reps in less than two hours and had several posts deleted) As they say down at NASA; DIFFERING POINTS OF VIEW IS NOT AN OPTION, if it is critical of NASA.

NASA: Exemplary of Government Waste by Alexander Villacampa

NASA still ordered to waste $1.4 million a day - Orlando Sentinel

Column: Maybe it's time to rethink our spending on NASA and space exploration | MLive.com

NASA and pork barrel spending in space

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Haha... where is the popcorn emoticon.

Also.. where are your links supporting NASA's spending? You want discussion and differing views you need to offer some info from both sides... not just yours.

mtbr member
    Why should I waste my time arguing with someone who's already made up their mind?

banned
    A waste would be people whom are able to work drawing Social Security Disability payments for the rest of their lives (cough, cough).
    Last edited by roadie scum; 08-14-2012 at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I would much rather my tax money go to space exploration than to social programs

Keep pedaling
    I'm very interested in space exploration. I like space exploration for the same reasons I like exploring mountains with my bicycle.

I think it's human nature to want to explore. That why humans spread out across the planet instead of staying in just one place.

Exploration is something we want, but don't need. Spending money on space exploration seems similar to spending money on music or going to a movie. It's something that makes us feel good, but maybe we don't really need it.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son View Post
    Space flight is cool. Mars is cool. Astronauts are cool. I wanted to be an Air Force Pilot and an Astronaut when I was young. I watch all the science fiction movies about space. I loved Star Wars and grew up on Star Trek. Space Ghost was my favorite cartoon. I even made power bands like he had to zap my sister with.

I'd like to hear both positive and negative comments regarding the money being spent on space exploration. Is it worth it? Did we get our money's worth going to the moon. I assume nobody here thinks the moon landing was a hoax. Should we stop spending money on space exploration until after we save the U.S. economy and get people on earth (in the U.S.) jobs? Do hungry families, with out of work parents, enjoy watching robots taking pictures of Mars as much as fully employed people with fat 401k's? It's your hard earned money they are spending. Do you feel it would be better spent elsewhere, or not spent at all?

Discuss. I promise not to delete posts that don't fall in line and I promise not to negative rep anyone who doesn't share my point of view. The same can't be said on the other Mars Curiosity thread (man, I lost 7 reps in less than two hours and had several posts deleted) As they say down at NASA; DIFFERING POINTS OF VIEW IS NOT AN OPTION, if it is critical of NASA.

NASA: Exemplary of Government Waste by Alexander Villacampa

NASA still ordered to waste $1.4 million a day - Orlando Sentinel

Column: Maybe it's time to rethink our spending on NASA and space exploration | MLive.com

NASA and pork barrel spending in space
    Congrats on figuring out that highjacking other people's threads with political discussions is what get your posts deleted. Good on ya mate.
    Try this: HTFU

Just a flesh wound

Not a waste

Pushing the boundaries in science is what advances us. If NASA did not go to the moon, we would not be having this discussion here. We might still be sending letters. We might be riding crappy bikes. Materials technology, computer technology, advanced circuitry design, CAD, etc...all came from advanced scientific research.

When NASA went to the moon, no one knew what the benefits would be, but many knew that there would be benefits. The personal computer came from this effort (silicon chips).

The Internet came from scientific collaboration between the top Universities. As a math major, I could link to a super computer at Lawrence Livermore to run Fortran algorithms in 1982.

Push the boundaries or get out of the way. The battery research alone for the Mars mission could revolutionize the grid and the auto industry. We are not on a sustainable path right now, and breakthroughs are the only way to fix it. No one knows where the advances will take us, but they will move us forward.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

I'm your density
    Deep-space exploration also gave us advanced error-correcting techniques, such as Turbo coding, which exist in numerous consumer communications and multimedia applications.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    ...The personal computer came from this effort (silicon chips)....
    Popular but untrue myth. High temperature oil well instrumentation was the integrated circuit driver (Texas Instruments). The reprogrammable single chip computer came about from the electronic calculator in the late 60s/early 70s. The first electronic computers replaced human computers during WWII (there were rooms full of human "computers" doing calculations for defense industry projects). In fact, NASA computers are typically a few generations behind state-of-the-art computers because NASA needs Space Hardened ICs which require different technology than what is used by state-of-the-art IC manufacturing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I promise not to delete posts that don't fall in line...
    Are you a mod with post deleting power?

AZ
    banned

(man, I lost 7 reps in less than two hours and had several posts deleted)

That is what happens when you hi-jack someones thread to spread you're rhetoric.

human dehumidifier
    Are you aware how small a percentage NASA represents in the federal budget? Are you aware how large a percentage of the federal budget is spent on waging war?
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

Retired User
    The total cost of the MSL project is a miniscule percentage of the federal budget. Were it paid for entirely in calendar year 2012 (which it is not), it would represent about 0.06% of the 2012 federal budget.

Funding for all of NASA in calendar year 2012 is less that 0.5% of the Federal Budget, as a percentage it's the lowest it's been in 50 years.

mtbr member
    You should be talking about defense budget. Thats where The big bucks are. Thats a discution worth seeing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am for same sex marriages. I think everyone should be able to marry anyone they want and love. Plus I can't turn away from seeing two hot females make out and cross into 3rd base...oooooooooo

wait...wrong thread...oops.

BTW The Prodigal Son, you can't delete posts anyways since you are not a Mod.

Pale Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Plus I can't turn away from seeing two hot females make out and cross into 3rd base...oooooooooo
    Talk about close encounters! It would not even matter if they were Martian.

What were we talking about again?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    I am for same sex marriages. I think everyone should be able to marry anyone they want and love. Plus I can't turn away from seeing two hot females make out and cross into 3rd base...oooooooooo

I approve of this message.

By the way, if we go to Mars are we considered to be Undocumented Aliens?

derp
    Sure it's a waste of money ... they should be giving it to me !
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Kinda cool, but fairly pointless as far as I'm concerned.

But I don't get the "wasted money" argument. The $$ went somewhere, probably to American scientists, workers, companies, etc., hired or contracted with NASA. Those people then surely spent it on x, y, and z. So it wasn't wasted as far as I'm concerned, it was diverted back to the American taxpayer in exchange for work done (hopefully -- if much of it went to foreign companies or whatever, I retract my statement). Spending money on fairly pointless scientific achievements is better in my book than just handing it out through social programs.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I approve of this message.

By the way, if we go to Mars are we considered to be Undocumented Aliens?
    No. We'll just make the Martians sign peace treaties favoring us as they can't read English. Then every few years update the treaties in our favor again and eventually put them into isolated groups in the worst parts of the planet.
    If for what ever reason they thrive on the land we "give" them, we shall rewrite the treaty to give us rights to the land to mine or extract all that is valuable.

And when they start to leave the land we "graciously give" them, we shall round them up and deport them as "Undocumented Aliens".

Problem solved. Silly Martians trespassing on "our" planet. Off with their heads.

mtbr member
    I am all for nasa and space exploration. Think of all the new bike trails that could be made!
    bound to cover just a little more ground

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosmontiel View Post
    You should be talking about defense budget. Thats where The big bucks are. Thats a discution worth seeing.
    Let's do that.
    US defense spending 2010 $689 billion.
    NASA spending 2010 $17.8 billion.

And just for the OP (like your links, no bias should be construed. Perish the thought.)

Annual cost of tax exemption for religious institutions $71 billion.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    wtfnasa?

What the NASA? is the SFW link.
    Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?

mtbr member
    Everything nasa does today could be done privately. I dont see why it needs to be a government project. It should be sold to the highest american bidder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast