Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 438
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,763

    lol.. i jumped over a kid today

    so i'm going down a single trail looking for my gf because me and my friend were riding and hit a fork and we went left but my gf was apparently farther back than i thought, and we lost her. so i'm barreling down the trails looking for her and i go over a turn and see the kid who fell and i didn't have time to stop so i bunny hopped over him. his father was yelling at me slow down, like i have to slow down............your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at? it was getting dark too.. i finally found my gf, at the fork. she's so good... her parents taught her well... if you get lost stay where you are haha anyways i thought it was kinda cool cause i totally thought i was gonna run the little bastard over


    --------

    apparently people don't want to read the whole thread, so... i was drunk when i posted this... i had to post a recap of it sober, again... because people keep making assumptions that i already clarified on pages 2-god knows when this thread will end...

    anyways, like i've said numerous times, i was not riding outside of my own comfort, i was going the right direction down a single track came around a bend, and boom, kid on the ground. i could see OVER the shrub and saw the dad alone, on his bike. I tried to see how fast he was moving so I would know to stop after the turn turned straight without coming up right behind him. during that, again... i see something coming around the bend sticking out, a split second later i'm jumping over the kid. if by the time i saw anything on the ground i tried to stop, i would have skid into him, definitely hurting him. anyways, when i landed, before i had an opportunity to say anything, the father was yelling at me at the top of his lungs, STILL ON HIS BIKE. this dude made no attempt to get off his bike. i don't even think he knew that his son had fallen until after i came up, which means that he was not paying attention to his own child, who was very very young, which is why the kid shouldn't be behind him. next to him, in front of him, thats one thing. but this specific guy, he couldn't keep an eye on his kid, so that's why i say the kid didn't belong there, or at the very least, he should have been in a visible position. so the dad's yelling, and i decided to just leave, because there's really not a whole lot i can do in that situation. if i stayed, he may try to hit me, there's another young son there, etc... in the middle of the woods with 2 kids and their dad i'm not gonna stick around to throw fists. maybe some of you would do that in front of your kids instead of considering the fact that you made a terrible call when it came to supervising your children, but that's up to you to decide when that time comes. i made sure the kid was ok, i made sure to really lift the back wheel up over him because i didn't know how high i could get the front without any warning, but it was enough thankfully, so i turned my head back and made sure he was ok, and peaced out before it got ugly.
    Last edited by ou2mame; 07-24-2012 at 10:39 PM.

  2. #2
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,371
    Sh!tstorm in 3....2....1....
    No moss...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: leesrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    158
    Hilarious

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    so i'm going down a single trail looking for my gf because me and my friend were riding and hit a fork and we went left but my gf was apparently farther back than i thought, and we lost her. so i'm barreling down the trails looking for her and i go over a turn and see the kid who fell and i didn't have time to stop so i bunny hopped over him. his father was yelling at me slow down, like i have to slow down............your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at? it was getting dark too.. i finally found my gf, at the fork. she's so good... her parents taught her well... if you get lost stay where you are haha anyways i thought it was kinda cool cause i totally thought i was gonna run the little bastard over
    You display very poor judgement. That, along with your cavalier attitude, will result in a trail-side altercation in your near future...
    Last edited by marpilli; 07-16-2012 at 07:58 AM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Adim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    723
    Wow, you are a jag.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JoePAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,269
    Lets just say you are lucky you cleared him. If not it would have been very ugly. Consider yourself lucky you got away with that one. Don't plan on being so lucky in the future.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    Everyone is so judgmental. The OP saved the kid injury by hopping over him... Get off your high horses. I can't stand preachers.

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    Everyone is so judgmental. The OP saved the kid injury by hopping over him... Get off your high horses. I can't stand preachers.
    What if the dad were helping the kid up? Would the OP have been able to jump him, also? Or, would it have resulted in a collision?

    If the OP wasn't "barreling down the trails" while looking for his GF then maybe he would have been paying enough attention to stop in time...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    Do you not barrel down the trails normally? Or do you ride scared and cautious afraid that you are going to run over a 5 year old around the next turn? (I really hope you dont) He would have been careless if he went around that turn and was not able to control his bike like he did. Do you live your life as "what if?" all the time?

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    Do you not barrel down the trails normally? Or do you ride scared and cautious afraid that you are going to run over a 5 year old around the next turn? (I really hope you dont) He would have been careless if he went around that turn and was not able to control his bike like he did. Do you live your life as "what if?" all the time?
    OK, I'll play the scenario. My kid has fallen down and the OP comes flying around the corner and jumps over him. I'm already concerned for my kid and now I'm pissed that I see somebody jump over him rather than stop or veer around him.

    At this point if the OP stops and says "Hey, dude, sorry about that. I didn't think i could get around him in time so I made a quick judgment and hopped over. Everything OK?" I'd calm down and thank him for trying to avoid further injury.

    If the OP stops and says "your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at?" then one of us is about to get a beat down.

    By the OP's statement I believe he wasn't paying as much attention as he should have been. And, when I ride I do think of "what if" when i'm heading around blind corners. It's one way to keep me (and others safe).

    It's a blind corner, he's "barreling down" the trail, "it was getting dark too", and he's preoccupied with finding his GF. You're gonna tell me he was displaying his best judgement? Please, go ahead and explain that to me....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    21
    Pics or it didn't happen. The kid hopping and the girlfriend.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    At this point I'm not even defending the OP anymore, I'm more just completely bothered by your entire point of view of the outside world. Now, I agree that that given the circumstances (getting dark, worried about finding someone, trying to do it quickly, etc.) the degree of risk and possibility of the OP causing a collision were elevated. However, I don't agree with your statement about him lacking character and possessing poor judgement. Who are you to say that? Have you never made a careless mistake while you were preoccupied by something else? Are you the almighty one?

    I'm sorry if I have sinned against you.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,477
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    At this point I'm not even defending the OP anymore, I'm more just completely bothered by your entire point of view of the outside world. Now, I agree that that given the circumstances (getting dark, worried about finding someone, trying to do it quickly, etc.) the degree of risk and possibility of the OP causing a collision were elevated. However, I don't agree with your statement about him lacking character and possessing poor judgement. Who are you to say that? Have you never made a careless mistake while you were preoccupied by something else? Are you the almighty one?

    I'm sorry if I have sinned against you.
    The best!
    :beer:
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    At this point I'm not even defending the OP anymore, I'm more just completely bothered by your entire point of view of the outside world. Now, I agree that that given the circumstances (getting dark, worried about finding someone, trying to do it quickly, etc.) the degree of risk and possibility of the OP causing a collision were elevated. However, I don't agree with your statement about him lacking character and possessing poor judgement. Who are you to say that? Have you never made a careless mistake while you were preoccupied by something else? Are you the almighty one?

    I'm sorry if I have sinned against you.
    You didn't sin against me... And, I didn't say anything about the OP's character.

    I did say he displayed poor judgement and he had a cavalier attitude. I still stand by both statements...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    But I still do not get how you can say he displayed poor judgement. The only thing you can say is that maybe the OP should have been more apologetic to the kid and the father. However, the father could have ran around the back side of the turn to warn people that his son was down on the ground. Did his father display poor judgement? No he did not, he just did not do the designated "right thing". But I'm betting next time he will run and wave people down. Both parties learned something, and that's what happens when these incidents occur. People learn from their mistakes. I'm done with this after this post, and I do not follow any religion (I don't want you to think I am teaching your any golden commandments), but seriously man, who are you to tell people they possess poor judgement. If you have never made an piss poor choice in your life, then I highly commend you and I shall listen to every word and piece of advice you give for the rest of my life. If not, then, well, F**k off. You are not better than any single person on this forum, or anywhere.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,826
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    Everyone is so judgmental. The OP saved the kid injury by hopping over him... Get off your high horses. I can't stand preachers.
    ... said the preacher.

    Intentionally ironic? Or just unable to see pot calling kettle black?
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    But I still do not get how you can say he displayed poor judgement.
    I'll say it again: It's a blind corner, he's "barreling down" the trail, "it was getting dark too", and he's preoccupied with finding his GF. You're gonna tell me he was displaying his best judgement? Please, go ahead and explain that to me....

    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    The only thing you can say is that maybe the OP should have been more apologetic to the kid and the father.
    Hence my statement about the OP's cavalier attitude...

    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    Both parties learned something, and that's what happens when these incidents occur. People learn from their mistakes.
    I'm not sure either one of them learned anything. What did the OP learn?

    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    If you have never made an piss poor choice in your life, then I highly commend you and I shall listen to every word and piece of advice you give for the rest of my life. If not, then, well, F**k off. You are not better than any single person on this forum, or anywhere.
    You stay classy...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    This is why I use high volume tires. I roll over kids without even feeling a bump.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    This is why I use high volume tires. I roll over kids without even feeling a bump.
    Maybe that'll swing me over to the 29er side

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    Maybe that'll swing me over to the 29er side
    Be careful, with rolling that easy you may start aiming for those little pests.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    74
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    167
    I'd wager most of us have made bad choices, and learned from them. Unlike the OP, who doesn't even seem to recognize that he could have made a better choice. I don't see any problem calling him out on that.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18
    Too bad it wasn't caught on a gopro!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,399
    Totally cool dude! You rule at jumping five year olds and looking for lost girlfriends.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,542
    /threadrantfromanoldguy

    Am I the only one bothered at this type of interwebz writing?
    haha... i jumped over a kid lol. haha my gf went down the trail 1st and she lol'd @ wen i jump over the kid... dad was like wtf. haha.
    School system - FAIL.

    At any rate, bunny hopping a kid and putting people in danger was stupid. Thanks for placing yourself in front of the MTBR firing squad, voluntarily.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JMP0323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    158
    If that was one of my children it would have gotten ugly. Its all fun and games until you have seriously injured a child. Poor judgement indeed.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    465
    The OP was oblivious to what was going on around him. He was preoccupied with finding his girlfriend and happened to get lucky when he jumped the kid. OP how do you know the kid didn't just fall right before you got there? Maybe the dad hadn't had time to react and get his son out of harms way. Do I ride constantly worrying about what might happen? No. I live by a saying I first heard in basic training; Stay alert, stay alive. It's simple. I don't like that people are so oblivious because of a single distraction such as cell phones, computers, television or lost girlfriends.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

  28. #28
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...
    Ding ding ding.......pretty much sums up my pov.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbzarg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    235
    Maybe his girlfriend wasn't actually lost - maybe she was ditching him

    All kidding aside bunny-hopping the kid was reckless.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,015
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    You didn't sin against me... And, I didn't say anything about the OP's character.

    I did say he displayed poor judgement and he had a cavalier attitude. I still stand by both statements...
    Well I come from a skiing background....so it is kinda of a natural thing to do to stop on the uphill side of the down person....it allows others to see you stopped (the guy down is often very hard to see).

    It also means that they have to plow through you to get to the down (or hurt person)...

    So if it was my kid I would have been uphill of the kid helping him up....

    If I heard Mr. Go Fast coming....I would have stood and faced him....in a crouch kinda like a line backer.....

    Well you get the end result.

    Kid would not have been jumped.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,477
    Strava user?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  32. #32
    rho
    rho is offline
    Life is strange
    Reputation: rho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...
    It sounds more like the OP needs to move off of the beginner trails and onto the advanced stuff.

    Time to step up brah.

    Sent by smoke signal

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,447
    I once bunny hoped 13 kids (my buds), laying side by side. I know it was voluntarily, but does that make as cool as OP?
    Round and round we go

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    I once bunny hoped 13 kids (my buds), laying side by side. I know it was voluntarily, but does that make as cool as OP?
    Nope, it makes you a troll.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,425
    I also get the impression the OP was going backwards down the trail to retrace his "steps" to find his GF at the fork. Theres ABSOLUTELY zero excuse for hauling balls the wrong direction down a trail aside from the first time youve ridden a trail and taking a wrong turn. The hopping over the kid was the best decision in a shotty situation, but the OP put himself and the kid in that spot. The attitude after the fact is something that would you get a trailside pummeling around here. The blatant bragging about the event on the internet just makes the OP a dbag.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    673
    I'll bet he wouldn't be bragging about it if he had ran into his girlfriend flying down the trail.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Nope, it makes you a troll.
    LOL, ...Wow, ...Umm..., no comment
    Round and round we go

  38. #38
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    so i'm going down a single trail looking for my gf because me and my friend were riding and hit a fork and we went left but my gf was apparently farther back than i thought, and we lost her. so i'm barreling down the trails looking for her and i go over a turn and see the kid who fell and i didn't have time to stop so i bunny hopped over him. his father was yelling at me slow down, like i have to slow down............your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at? it was getting dark too.. i finally found my gf, at the fork. she's so good... her parents taught her well... if you get lost stay where you are haha anyways i thought it was kinda cool cause i totally thought i was gonna run the little bastard over
    my son at 2 years 6 months


    when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

    slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,542
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    I once bunny hoped 13 kids (my buds), laying side by side. I know it was voluntarily, but does that make as cool as OP?
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Nope, it makes you a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    LOL, ...Wow, ...Umm..., no comment
    Another danhasdrums vs. theMeat thread?

    Name:  IMG_0254.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  125.8 KB

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JMP0323's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    my son at 2 years 6 months


    when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

    slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.
    Raised up off the saddle like a boss. NICE!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Another danhasdrums vs. theMeat thread?

    Name:  IMG_0254.JPG
Views: 921
Size:  125.8 KB
    Nope, I promise.

    And to the negger who called me out on my pathetic over use of proofreading/editing, LOL, you're absolutely right. But don't forget my abuse of /s and/or commas. lol
    Round and round we go

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skullcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    923
    OP doesn't grasp the concept of "faster than conditions warrant". He has a brilliant future in reckless driving charges if he gets old enough to get a driver's license.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    356
    To the OP -- You CLEARLY do not have children of your own. Trust me, I am 100% sure you escaped out of luck, not skill ... and I'm not referring to avoiding the collision. I'm referring to avoiding the dad. For whatever reason, he let it go. 9 times of 10 my bet would be no amount of speed would get you away from a major test of your 'skill' with punches and knees flying into your face from the significant majority of dads in the same situation. I don't know the reason why the dad wasn't blocking for his son (maybe one-direction trail so he didn't need worry about your approach from the front of his son?), but regardless, his error pales by a million times compared to your stupidity. Barreling down to find your gf? Judging from the fact that a child was on the same trail, low likelihood that her delay was because she could've been seriously injured or maybe attacked by a bear, so your reaction was overkill and almost had serious consequences. Getting dark? The kid was still on the trail. How old is your gf? More reasonable judgment would've delayed you at most 5-10 minutes from the sounds of things. Had that been my son, your season would be over at a minimum.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,763
    ok, the father was like 20' away, and wasn't even looking at the kid until i came around the corner because i saw him first and he turned his head. i looked down, saw the kid and jumped and then stopped and made sure he was ok. the father flipped out and i was like f-that. i saw the kid, and didn't run him over. i would have been going that fast down the trail no matter if i was looking for someone or not. i ride this trail every other day, its one direction, and there's not many people there. this is one of the few times i've actually seen anybody on that trail specifically. me and my gf are both 30 years old, she's a vp at a finance firm, and i do freelance computer graphics. we're not 15 years old, and i do have a drivers license with no accidents or anything. this has nothing to do with my lifestyle. people always attack the character in the most ignorant way on the internet. i was barreling down to find her because thats how i ride that trail and i figured the sooner i got to the bottom the quicker i'd find her, and the quicker we'd get out before we lost light. yes, i have a fast pace. yes, i do it going the correct direction on a st. yes, i try to see over and around turns before rounding them, but sometimes you can't see everything. if i was going slower, i probably still would have ran the kid over because i definitely wouldn't have seen him til i was in the turn. i'd have probably jackknifed and in an attempt to stop short and ended up toppling over onto him because i would have been skidding into him anyways, which would probably do more damage than running him over.

    no i'm not a parent, but i did bring my nephew out a lot when he was a kid to the same trails when my sister lived near there, and no, i would never leave him laying in a blind turn. i'd walk over there and get him out of the way. i snowboard, and if you fall or you want to chill, you don't do it on a turn, you do it on a straight path where people can see you, on the side, where you're not in the way. same goes with any sport. if your child doesn't want to continue you don't lay them in the middle of a turn, you drag them to the side, or you bring them to a place where they will be seen instead of run over. to me, thats bad parenting.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,885
    If you are riding with a group and loose visual contact with people you are riding with when you reach a trail intersection or "Y", wait at that point until the rest of your group catches up so you don't end up with "lost" group members. Its a pretty basic group ride concept.

  46. #46
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    ok, the father was like 20' away, and wasn't even looking at the kid until i came around the corner because i saw him first and he turned his head. ... same goes with any sport. if your child doesn't want to continue you don't lay them in the middle of a turn, you drag them to the side, or you bring them to a place where they will be seen instead of run over. to me, thats bad parenting.

    have you considered the kid may have just then hit the ground?..like 2 seconds earlier.

    as far as the rest....if you blow thru a blind turn w/out the ability to stop before crashing into skunks, fallen logs, children, runners, deer, the michelin man, bug bunny, etc.... you are going too fast for conditions...

    we all have done it.

    not all of us will admit it.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,763
    my friend was behind me and i asked if my gf was behind him and he said yes.. both ways on the fork led to the same concrete path out of the st, so it really didn't matter which way she went regardless. i got out and looked down the path to see if she was there but she never came out, so i went back in the wrong way and hit up another trail to go the right direction to come up from behind her, which is where that kid was. i sent my friend to the path where they both exit in case she came out so i figured we had all our bases covered. it was a pretty simple thing, swing back around get her, leave. didn't plan on somebody leaving their kid in a trail. i don't think that you should ever be 20' in front of a child that small when you're on a trail, they should be in front of you so you know when they fall or something. no? i dunno, i'm not a parent so i obviously can't make any assumption as to what constitutes good parenting when you ride a mtb.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,885
    The slower rider should have been put in the front of your group.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    ok, the father was like 20' away, and wasn't even looking at the kid until i came around the corner because i saw him first and he turned his head. i looked down, saw the kid and jumped and then stopped and made sure he was ok. the father flipped out and i was like f-that. i saw the kid, and didn't run him over. i would have been going that fast down the trail no matter if i was looking for someone or not. i ride this trail every other day, its one direction, and there's not many people there. this is one of the few times i've actually seen anybody on that trail specifically. me and my gf are both 30 years old, she's a vp at a finance firm, and i do freelance computer graphics. we're not 15 years old, and i do have a drivers license with no accidents or anything. this has nothing to do with my lifestyle. people always attack the character in the most ignorant way on the internet. i was barreling down to find her because thats how i ride that trail and i figured the sooner i got to the bottom the quicker i'd find her, and the quicker we'd get out before we lost light. yes, i have a fast pace. yes, i do it going the correct direction on a st. yes, i try to see over and around turns before rounding them, but sometimes you can't see everything. if i was going slower, i probably still would have ran the kid over because i definitely wouldn't have seen him til i was in the turn. i'd have probably jackknifed and in an attempt to stop short and ended up toppling over onto him because i would have been skidding into him anyways, which would probably do more damage than running him over.

    no i'm not a parent, but i did bring my nephew out a lot when he was a kid to the same trails when my sister lived near there, and no, i would never leave him laying in a blind turn. i'd walk over there and get him out of the way. i snowboard, and if you fall or you want to chill, you don't do it on a turn, you do it on a straight path where people can see you, on the side, where you're not in the way. same goes with any sport. if your child doesn't want to continue you don't lay them in the middle of a turn, you drag them to the side, or you bring them to a place where they will be seen instead of run over. to me, thats bad parenting.
    Once in a while, things happen that you cannot prepare for. Do I slow down to walking pace on every blind turn? No.

    But you had the skills to protect the kid, so bravo to you.

    On the other hand, would I take young children on single track where a rider could barrel down on them? Or let them ride ahead me? No.

    I'm not surprised the dad is pissed but what can you do?
    Last edited by sanjuro; 07-16-2012 at 01:41 PM.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,015
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    my friend was behind me and i asked if my gf was behind him and he said yes.. both ways on the fork led to the same concrete path out of the st, so it really didn't matter which way she went regardless. i got out and looked down the path to see if she was there but she never came out, so i went back in the wrong way and hit up another trail to go the right direction to come up from behind her, which is where that kid was. i sent my friend to the path where they both exit in case she came out so i figured we had all our bases covered. it was a pretty simple thing, swing back around get her, leave. didn't plan on somebody leaving their kid in a trail. i don't think that you should ever be 20' in front of a child that small when you're on a trail, they should be in front of you so you know when they fall or something. no? i dunno, i'm not a parent so i obviously can't make any assumption as to what constitutes good parenting when you ride a mtb.
    Sounds like a rodeo...to me

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KEITH21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    246
    Just my two cents, my 5 year old son would have never been in that position.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,885
    Hopefully the OP can learn from this and perhaps the father of the child as well. Both parties are lucky something seriously bad didn't happen. The OP should seriously consider slowing down when visibility isn't ideal, letting slower riders in his group ride first, and having some empathy for other trail users if for no other reason then to avoid the financial liabilities which could arise from causing injury to someone. The father should consider better trail choice and making sure that his child clears the trail in a reasonable amount of time.

    I'm not sure the OP truly appreciates who bad this situation could have gotten. Both parties were very lucky. If it were me, I'd learn from the situation and go buy a lottery ticket.

  53. #53
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,896
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post

    I'm not sure the OP truly appreciates who bad this situation could have gotten.
    Really? Seems like all he's done is try to cover his a$$. I'm not sensing the least bit of contrition.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elcaro1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    506
    OP your bad at school.


  55. #55
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...

    hahaha. op maybe if you are so gnar awesome extreme why dont you step it up a bit?

  56. #56
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,796
    i don't know why there is all this *****ing, the OP is obviously lying anyway...


  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    874
    Were your riding a Jeep bike?

  58. #58
    Suckin wind like a boss
    Reputation: big terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...
    kinda what i was thinking.

    here in the cleveland area we have a brand new beginner friendly mtb trail in the metroparks, that has taken many years to become reality. only been open for a month but there have been a lot of incidents of xc racer-types using this trail as their personal time trial practice course, while there are brand new trail riders making the rounds... as well as hikers galore (its multi-use, but designed as singletrack.) one good part is that there is limited undergrowth through 90% of the trail, so there arent many blind corners- a lot of open sightline here. still, there are those who ride it way too fast, and fail to heed the fact that the noobs on the trail dont have the skill nor forethought to look far enough ahead.

    something bad is going to happen, and its going to reflect badly on the mtb community as a whole, despite many of our best efforts to see that it doesnt happen. the fact that a lot of cleveland metropark users (read: horse people and hikers) are adamantly opposed to sharing the woods with mtbers already has us on the radar, and someones kid getting plowed by speedy is going to really stir the hornets nest.

    as a parent, i would be pissed if i saw someone riding as carelessly as the OP, and would have been hard pressed not to flip the fcuk out on him. at the same time, as a rider i think the OP pulled a lucky save out of his bag of tricks.

    its real easy for everyone to armchair quarterback it, but until it happens you never know how youll react or what youd do. im not that good of a rider and i still blast the blind corners on the trails im familiar with, as im sure many of you do. i even take into account who else might be on the trail at any given time, but im not going to ride slow-mo in fear of whats around every corner. the burden of responsible trail use falls on everyone on the trail no matter their personal means of conveyance, be it bicycle, horseback, or on foot.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

  59. #59
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,122
    Wtf?

  60. #60
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    To the OP -- You CLEARLY do not have children of your own. Trust me, I am 100% sure you escaped out of luck, not skill ... and I'm not referring to avoiding the collision. I'm referring to avoiding the dad. For whatever reason, he let it go. 9 times of 10 my bet would be no amount of speed would get you away from a major test of your 'skill' with punches and knees flying into your face from the significant majority of dads in the same situation. I don't know the reason why the dad wasn't blocking for his son (maybe one-direction trail so he didn't need worry about your approach from the front of his son?), but regardless, his error pales by a million times compared to your stupidity. Barreling down to find your gf? Judging from the fact that a child was on the same trail, low likelihood that her delay was because she could've been seriously injured or maybe attacked by a bear, so your reaction was overkill and almost had serious consequences. Getting dark? The kid was still on the trail. How old is your gf? More reasonable judgment would've delayed you at most 5-10 minutes from the sounds of things. Had that been my son, your season would be over at a minimum.
    Truth.

    I am not sure what I would have done to a raging idiot barreling down on my 4yo, but I would have been risking jail time.

  61. #61
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,796
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    ...hit up another trail to go the right direction to come up from behind her, which is where that kid was...
    so, now you're railing uphill turns and bunnyhopping people? c'mon dude, do we all seem that stupid?


  62. #62
    MTBR member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    803
    The OP doesn't have a clue!

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marcus4333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    161
    cool story bro.

    so the girlfriend...is she hawt?

    pics or gtfo!

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Spicy.Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    24
    Hahaha, can you imagine not clearing the kid and nailing the poor kid in the face.

    I do agree that Trails that are KNOWN to have MTB Riders going down/up should be biked with caution...if the kid is the middle of the road it's hard to really say whose fault it really is. Just be happy no one got hurt and that you made yourself look like a badass.

    It was a big risk. But it's possible that if you just tried to brake you would of ran into him anyways. Idk next time you should be careful. Should be a reminder for anyone.

    I've had this experience before, there are many blind corners at the place I bike. It's a famous/popular place for really Fast/DH/All-Mountain Bikers and I would often yell to warn anyone that was around the blind corner. Still, many people are quite deaf and somewhat ignorant, despite me BEING LOUD and as I turn the corner I would literally see people look up dumb-founded like a deer in headlights, in the middle of the trail, as I would luckily swerve around them. Sometimes they would tell yell at me to slow down...the fact is, the trail is made for Bikers/Predominately Bikers (with warnings and such). Some people are just ignorant and deaf. Sometimes you can't do anything you have to take appropriate action. I just wish atleast people would stay on right side and not take up the whole trail like the Great Human Wall Of China.
    Easy Does It.

  65. #65
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    my son at 2 years 6 months


    when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

    slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.



    Get this kid some gears!

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,648
    The important question is did you say hello when you were hopping over him?
    I hate it when people pass me on the trail and don't say hello.


    BTW, think about retitling the thread Babyhead Technique.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,447
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    my son at 2 years 6 months


    when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

    slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.
    That is awesome, you've got some great times to look forward to, must be proud. As a father of a 9yo let me tell ya, enjoy every minute, it goes too fast.
    Round and round we go

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,553
    You people need to just chill the heck out on the OP here, I mean, seriously! I was on the exact same trail today and bombed around a blind corner and guess what? Yup. That same stupid kid was there, lying in the trail. I bunny hopped him too. Then I banged the OP's girlfriend.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skullcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    923
    Actually I had guessed you for about 14. At least try to learn something from this.

    Jeep bike indeed.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    OP your bad at school.



    you're*
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    my son at 2 years 6 months


    when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

    slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.
    Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    You people need to just chill the heck out on the OP here, I mean, seriously! I was on the exact same trail today and bombed around a blind corner and guess what? Yup. That same stupid kid was there, lying in the trail. I bunny hopped him too. Then I banged the OP's girlfriend.
    ...and NOW we know why you didn't get there in time to save the snake and the toad.

  73. #73
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    Training wheels are evil.

    Once my kids could scoot around comfortably, a few days with that long loop handle that attaches to the rear axle (like "balance buddy") got them comfortable enough to ride on their own

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7
    x2 on the balance bike.

  75. #75
    On wuss patrol
    Reputation: Glide the Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    That is why you start them on a scoot or stride bike -- to skip the training wheels.

    BTW, pic of the OP. This thread is such a

    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ltdan12a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    Started my boy on a balance bike at 2 years old... Now 2 years 10 months, and he's ready for pedals... Just waiting for him to grow another inch or so. But we're not doing the training wheels thing either

  77. #77
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    the balance bike thing is the major part....next is pedaling.

    for my kiddo we got him a tricycle (fixed, not the freewheel kind). took him like 10 minutes to figure it out.

    I also picked up a Specialized Hotrock (12") used - they are MUCH lighter than wally world kiddo bikes....and 7 or 8 lbs makes a huge difference to someone who weighs in at 25lbs.

    and lastly i picked him up a set of toddler sized skate pads (with mini fingerless gloves). It's no biggee to fall and scrape a knee....it becomes a big deal to fall on the same scrape 30 seconds later.

    the pads kept him from being scared of crashing:
    BELL(R) Toddler Boy Knee and Elbow Pad Set with Gloves

    (i have never used the site above - just to show you what pads i got my boy)

    my son leaned 13 days after his 2nd b-day (when i found a deal on a hotrock)....took him like 20 seconds to take off like a bat out of hell....i ran like 6 miles that day chasing him around.

    Ordering my daughters strider today - she is now tall enough at 16 months (yay)

    PS - it takes a while for them to figure out coaster brakes - you will go thru a couple pairs of shoes. And for a FF helmet - Pryme makes the smallest i could find

    good luck!

    [/threadjack]
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Diesel8810's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    130

    This thread could use a hijack....

    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    Anyways..

    Awesome job by that little man... What a great start!.. I have 3 month old and can't wait to get him in a trailer (in a year or so) and then on a balance bike, then on and on...

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,763
    it was downhill, rooty, curvy, rutted... not a beginner trail, and not where a kid that little belongs on the ground for any extended period of time. people keep jumping to conclusions that this is an easy trail, where there are many children. i've never seen children on there, and i've been going there for the past 15 years. its just something that you don't expect to see, esp at dusk. i don't think you people who keep bashing me understand what happened... blind turn, saw the kid, jumped. by the time i hit the ground and started braking, i still hadn't reached the dad yet, thats how far away he was from the kid. i stopped a good 10 feet from the dad. i turned around to make sure the kid was ok, and i was still closer to the kid than the dad was. thats how "worried" the dad was. i'm not against kids on trails, but you can't let the kid trail that far behind you, and you can't leave them laying on the ground in a turn. you never know who's coming down behind you. its a one way trail, signs posted everywhere. there's hiking trails in there too, but this is a bicycle trail. they are separate.

  80. #80
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    it was downhill, rooty, curvy, rutted... not a beginner trail, and not where a kid that little belongs on the ground for any extended period of time. people keep jumping to conclusions that this is an easy trail, where there are many children. i've never seen children on there, and i've been going there for the past 15 years. its just something that you don't expect to see, esp at dusk. i don't think you people who keep bashing me understand what happened... blind turn, saw the kid, jumped. by the time i hit the ground and started braking, i still hadn't reached the dad yet, thats how far away he was from the kid. i stopped a good 10 feet from the dad. i turned around to make sure the kid was ok, and i was still closer to the kid than the dad was. thats how "worried" the dad was. i'm not against kids on trails, but you can't let the kid trail that far behind you, and you can't leave them laying on the ground in a turn. you never know who's coming down behind you. its a one way trail, signs posted everywhere. there's hiking trails in there too, but this is a bicycle trail. they are separate.
    from your OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    so i'm going down a single trail looking for my gf because me and my friend were riding and hit a fork and we went left but my gf was apparently farther back than i thought, and we lost her. so i'm barreling down the trails looking for her and i go over a turn and see the kid who fell and i didn't have time to stop so i bunny hopped over him. his father was yelling at me slow down, like i have to slow down............your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at? it was getting dark too.. i finally found my gf, at the fork. she's so good... her parents taught her well... if you get lost stay where you are haha anyways i thought it was kinda cool cause i totally thought i was gonna run the little bastard over
    same story written completely different. can you see why you're catching grief?

    and i did not realize there was an age limit on MUT's...is there?
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  81. #81
    Axe
    Axe is offline
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,122
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    it was downhill, rooty, curvy, rutted... not a beginner trail, and not where a kid that little belongs on the ground for any extended period of time. people keep jumping to conclusions that this is an easy trail.
    Trail does not belong to bikes only. I hike with my kids on trails that are too technical for them to ride.

    If you do not ride in control and can not stop for whatever reason whatsoever it is your damn fault, period, end of story. Are you being intentionally dense that you do not get this simple fact?

  82. #82
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    so a 5 year old on a stryder bike was going down a nasty, rooty trail and you going up said trail bunnyhopped over him? is that your final answer chief?

  83. #83
    banned
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    so a 5 year old on a stryder bike was going down a nasty, rooty trail and you going up said trail bunnyhopped over him? is that your final answer chief?
    No, he will change a few more parts of the story. You know, tone it down a bit. He'll still complain how nobody understands his side of the story and will probably start name calling...

  84. #84
    trail addict
    Reputation: Uncle Six Pack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    have you considered the kid may have just then hit the ground?..like 2 seconds earlier.
    He probably got nervous and fell over when he heard the OP coming around the corner and thought he sounded like a mach 1 freight train.

    I am also really wondering if this trail is frequently ridden by people on road bikes.... and it is like 5 feet wide....


    So here is the father's version....

    I took my kids training wheels off for the first time today and took him to the park for a nice, safe place to ride. He was getting the hang of it so I stopped to ask this girl if she was OK and she was like yeah, I'm fine but my DB boyfriend is cruising around with his buddy ignoring me so I figured I'd just stop in the shade and relax awhile. Just then I saw my son tumble over and get a little caught up and just when I started to go help him, this jerk comes around a bend, aims right for him and pedals as hard as he can (which was clearly not as fast as he was perceiving himself to be), only to veer off at the last second while pulling a lame napoleon dynamite wheelie. It was really just very awkward to watch so I told the guy (sarcastically) that he really ought to slow it down.


    Just kidding.... anyway, yeah we've all done dumb things.... but it is dumber to brag about it like it is the coolest story going today.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,885
    It sounds like you didn't need to catch up to your girl friend. Perhaps you were showing off to her on how fast you could ride to catch her. The way you used "lol" in the title for this thread demonstrates the caviler attitude you had toward this incident. Reckless is the word that comes to mind and that's why you're not getting the response you expected. Hopefully you'll learn something from this. I suspect if you have kids in the future you'll think differently about lol'ing about this situation. I've seen kids on some trails in my area which don't usually see kids riding and I thought it was extremely cool that kids were being taught to enjoy the outdoors. I gave the little folks wide berth and encouragement.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elcaro1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    you're*

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,763
    same story i was just drunk when i posted this thread. i have to keep saying what happened because everybody keeps putting words in my mouth, and every time i try to explain a little more clearly because it seems as though any detail that i leave out turns into an entire bashing point for me, so i'm just leaving every detail covered. take from it what you will... i still don't think i did anything wrong. i was going downhill on a technical trail, and had no idea i'd ever find a child laying in a turn. imagine you're riding down a trail you've been riding for years, a trail that you do probably 3 maybe 4x a week, and one day you go around a turn and there's a child just laying in the turn. do you blame yourself? what do you in that half a second, maybe 1 second... do you attempt to stop and skid into him? do you ride yourself into a tree head first, and still probably crush him after bouncing off? or do you attempt to jump over him. i mean, if you people think i should have skid into him, maybe i'll consider that next time.

    as for it being an easy trail, or me going too fast... its not easy, and i was going fast. everybody who's bashing me, you ride slow? how slow? 7mph? 4mph? all the time, you ride your brakes downhill? why do you even have a mountain bike at that point, you might as well get a hybrid if you're going to ride that slow.

    i was doing what we all do.... riding. i was mainly angry at the father, because like i said previously, he was way too far away from his kid to be concerned that his kid was laying on his back in a turn on a downhill trail, and he didn't seem to be making any attempt to correct this. like i said before... again, if it were my kid, i'd have pulled him further to the straight path after the turn in case somebody came down. its a tight trail, maybe 3' wide, no room to go around anybody, esp in that section. but whatever.. you're right. i'm an ******* because i was probably going too fast, and i should just ride my brakes down hills from now on. i'll have to get some more brake pads though.

    oh, and i wasn't showing off for my gf because i was going through the trail again to meet her from behind so she wasn't anywhere near me at that point. this trail was the quickest shot to get back to where she was.

  88. #88
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    same story i was just drunk when i posted this thread...
    PUI is always good for entertainment...






    * the rest of your spiel about us riding brakes pedaling hybrids at 4mph....not gonna go over well



    PS - a + rep for you taking the hits and not losing your marbles...you're back in the green
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,763
    oh no, more negative rep i guess. lol.. whatever. i'm just trying to live. its the internet though... i guess i shouldn't expect anything worse/better.

  90. #90
    fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Reputation: CHUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    8,618
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    oh no, more negative rep i guess. lol.. whatever. i'm just trying to live. its the internet though... i guess i shouldn't expect anything worse/better.

    you're green again
    Click Here for Forum Rules

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,763
    thats how i felt a few hours after posting this if i remember... i must have eaten half a box of spaghetti with taco cheese.. i had this idea of making spaghetti tacos, but i didn't have any shells.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974

    ... and if we just ...

    and this is exactly why children must always be leashed on trails... additionally, when they poop on the trail, have the common decency bag it up and pack it out with you.

  93. #93
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,796
    every time the story is told, the holes in it keep getting bigger and more abundant...

    i'm still confused. you went down the trail once and then went back to the top to go down again to look for her?
    or,
    you were originally going up and went back down to look for her?

    (edit: nevermind, i don't care anyway)
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 07-17-2012 at 05:07 PM.


  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    oh no, more negative rep i guess. lol.. whatever. i'm just trying to live. its the internet though... i guess i shouldn't expect anything worse/better.
    If you would have realized that from post 1, you would have known that posting shambles like this is idiotic and probably not going to be taken too well. But, none the less...


  95. #95
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    ahhhh the classic drunk post excuse. i still dont get how a little kid on a toy bike could be going UP a trail like you desribe. little guy must be a beast.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9
    Wow, intersting

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2wheelsnotfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,885
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post

    as for it being an easy trail, or me going too fast... its not easy, and i was going fast. everybody who's bashing me, you ride slow? how slow? 7mph? 4mph? all the time, you ride your brakes downhill? why do you even have a mountain bike at that point, you might as well get a hybrid if you're going to ride that slow.
    Seems like your judgement stinks.....the tone you used originally starting this thread, PUI'ing, your attitude toward other trail users, and now these remarks. You seriously believe you are utterly blameless? Wow.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i still dont get how a little kid on a toy bike could be going UP a trail like you desribe.
    The kid was drunk too.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    same story i was just drunk when i posted this thread. i have to keep saying what happened because everybody keeps putting words in my mouth, and every time i try to explain a little more clearly because it seems as though any detail that i leave out turns into an entire bashing point for me, so i'm just leaving every detail covered. take from it what you will... i still don't think i did anything wrong. i was going downhill on a technical trail, and had no idea i'd ever find a child laying in a turn. imagine you're riding down a trail you've been riding for years, a trail that you do probably 3 maybe 4x a week, and one day you go around a turn and there's a child just laying in the turn. do you blame yourself? what do you in that half a second, maybe 1 second... do you attempt to stop and skid into him? do you ride yourself into a tree head first, and still probably crush him after bouncing off? or do you attempt to jump over him. i mean, if you people think i should have skid into him, maybe i'll consider that next time.

    as for it being an easy trail, or me going too fast... its not easy, and i was going fast. everybody who's bashing me, you ride slow? how slow? 7mph? 4mph? all the time, you ride your brakes downhill? why do you even have a mountain bike at that point, you might as well get a hybrid if you're going to ride that slow.

    i was doing what we all do.... riding. i was mainly angry at the father, because like i said previously, he was way too far away from his kid to be concerned that his kid was laying on his back in a turn on a downhill trail, and he didn't seem to be making any attempt to correct this. like i said before... again, if it were my kid, i'd have pulled him further to the straight path after the turn in case somebody came down. its a tight trail, maybe 3' wide, no room to go around anybody, esp in that section. but whatever.. you're right. i'm an ******* because i was probably going too fast, and i should just ride my brakes down hills from now on. i'll have to get some more brake pads though.

    oh, and i wasn't showing off for my gf because i was going through the trail again to meet her from behind so she wasn't anywhere near me at that point. this trail was the quickest shot to get back to where she was.
    Personal responsibility is clearly a foreign concept to you. No wonder why you're "freelance". I wouldn't hire you either.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by JuanCoglos View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen. The kid hopping and the girlfriend.
    This!
    When people ask me what I do, I don't tell them what I do for my job, I tell them I ride mountain bikes.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •