Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

lol.. i jumped over a kid today

so i'm going down a single trail looking for my gf because me and my friend were riding and hit a fork and we went left but my gf was apparently farther back than i thought, and we lost her. so i'm barreling down the trails looking for her and i go over a turn and see the kid who fell and i didn't have time to stop so i bunny hopped over him. his father was yelling at me slow down, like i have to slow down............your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at? it was getting dark too.. i finally found my gf, at the fork. she's so good... her parents taught her well... if you get lost stay where you are haha anyways i thought it was kinda cool cause i totally thought i was gonna run the little bastard over

--------

apparently people don't want to read the whole thread, so... i was drunk when i posted this... i had to post a recap of it sober, again... because people keep making assumptions that i already clarified on pages 2-god knows when this thread will end...

anyways, like i've said numerous times, i was not riding outside of my own comfort, i was going the right direction down a single track came around a bend, and boom, kid on the ground. i could see OVER the shrub and saw the dad alone, on his bike. I tried to see how fast he was moving so I would know to stop after the turn turned straight without coming up right behind him. during that, again... i see something coming around the bend sticking out, a split second later i'm jumping over the kid. if by the time i saw anything on the ground i tried to stop, i would have skid into him, definitely hurting him. anyways, when i landed, before i had an opportunity to say anything, the father was yelling at me at the top of his lungs, STILL ON HIS BIKE. this dude made no attempt to get off his bike. i don't even think he knew that his son had fallen until after i came up, which means that he was not paying attention to his own child, who was very very young, which is why the kid shouldn't be behind him. next to him, in front of him, thats one thing. but this specific guy, he couldn't keep an eye on his kid, so that's why i say the kid didn't belong there, or at the very least, he should have been in a visible position. so the dad's yelling, and i decided to just leave, because there's really not a whole lot i can do in that situation. if i stayed, he may try to hit me, there's another young son there, etc... in the middle of the woods with 2 kids and their dad i'm not gonna stick around to throw fists. maybe some of you would do that in front of your kids instead of considering the fact that you made a terrible call when it came to supervising your children, but that's up to you to decide when that time comes. i made sure the kid was ok, i made sure to really lift the back wheel up over him because i didn't know how high i could get the front without any warning, but it was enough thankfully, so i turned my head back and made sure he was ok, and peaced out before it got ugly.
    Last edited by ou2mame; 07-24-2012 at 10:39 PM.

The White Jeff W
    Sh!tstorm in 3....2....1....
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Hilarious

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    so i'm going down a single trail looking for my gf because me and my friend were riding and hit a fork and we went left but my gf was apparently farther back than i thought, and we lost her. so i'm barreling down the trails looking for her and i go over a turn and see the kid who fell and i didn't have time to stop so i bunny hopped over him. his father was yelling at me slow down, like i have to slow down............your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at? it was getting dark too.. i finally found my gf, at the fork. she's so good... her parents taught her well... if you get lost stay where you are haha anyways i thought it was kinda cool cause i totally thought i was gonna run the little bastard over
    You display very poor judgement. That, along with your cavalier attitude, will result in a trail-side altercation in your near future...
    Last edited by marpilli; 07-16-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    Wow, you are a jag.

mtbr member
    Lets just say you are lucky you cleared him. If not it would have been very ugly. Consider yourself lucky you got away with that one. Don't plan on being so lucky in the future.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Everyone is so judgmental. The OP saved the kid injury by hopping over him... Get off your high horses. I can't stand preachers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    Everyone is so judgmental. The OP saved the kid injury by hopping over him... Get off your high horses. I can't stand preachers.
    What if the dad were helping the kid up? Would the OP have been able to jump him, also? Or, would it have resulted in a collision?

If the OP wasn't "barreling down the trails" while looking for his GF then maybe he would have been paying enough attention to stop in time...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Do you not barrel down the trails normally? Or do you ride scared and cautious afraid that you are going to run over a 5 year old around the next turn? (I really hope you dont) He would have been careless if he went around that turn and was not able to control his bike like he did. Do you live your life as "what if?" all the time?

mtbr member
    Do you not barrel down the trails normally? Or do you ride scared and cautious afraid that you are going to run over a 5 year old around the next turn? (I really hope you dont) He would have been careless if he went around that turn and was not able to control his bike like he did. Do you live your life as "what if?" all the time?
    OK, I'll play the scenario. My kid has fallen down and the OP comes flying around the corner and jumps over him. I'm already concerned for my kid and now I'm pissed that I see somebody jump over him rather than stop or veer around him.

At this point if the OP stops and says "Hey, dude, sorry about that. I didn't think i could get around him in time so I made a quick judgment and hopped over. Everything OK?" I'd calm down and thank him for trying to avoid further injury.

If the OP stops and says "your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at?" then one of us is about to get a beat down.

By the OP's statement I believe he wasn't paying as much attention as he should have been. And, when I ride I do think of "what if" when i'm heading around blind corners. It's one way to keep me (and others safe).

It's a blind corner, he's "barreling down" the trail, "it was getting dark too", and he's preoccupied with finding his GF. You're gonna tell me he was displaying his best judgement? Please, go ahead and explain that to me....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Pics or it didn't happen. The kid hopping and the girlfriend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    At this point I'm not even defending the OP anymore, I'm more just completely bothered by your entire point of view of the outside world. Now, I agree that that given the circumstances (getting dark, worried about finding someone, trying to do it quickly, etc.) the degree of risk and possibility of the OP causing a collision were elevated. However, I don't agree with your statement about him lacking character and possessing poor judgement. Who are you to say that? Have you never made a careless mistake while you were preoccupied by something else? Are you the almighty one?

I'm sorry if I have sinned against you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    At this point I'm not even defending the OP anymore, I'm more just completely bothered by your entire point of view of the outside world. Now, I agree that that given the circumstances (getting dark, worried about finding someone, trying to do it quickly, etc.) the degree of risk and possibility of the OP causing a collision were elevated. However, I don't agree with your statement about him lacking character and possessing poor judgement. Who are you to say that? Have you never made a careless mistake while you were preoccupied by something else? Are you the almighty one?

The best!
    :beer:
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member

You didn't sin against me... And, I didn't say anything about the OP's character.

I did say he displayed poor judgement and he had a cavalier attitude. I still stand by both statements...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    But I still do not get how you can say he displayed poor judgement. The only thing you can say is that maybe the OP should have been more apologetic to the kid and the father. However, the father could have ran around the back side of the turn to warn people that his son was down on the ground. Did his father display poor judgement? No he did not, he just did not do the designated "right thing". But I'm betting next time he will run and wave people down. Both parties learned something, and that's what happens when these incidents occur. People learn from their mistakes. I'm done with this after this post, and I do not follow any religion (I don't want you to think I am teaching your any golden commandments), but seriously man, who are you to tell people they possess poor judgement. If you have never made an piss poor choice in your life, then I highly commend you and I shall listen to every word and piece of advice you give for the rest of my life. If not, then, well, F**k off. You are not better than any single person on this forum, or anywhere.

mtbr member
    ... said the preacher.

Intentionally ironic? Or just unable to see pot calling kettle black?
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    But I still do not get how you can say he displayed poor judgement.
    I'll say it again: It's a blind corner, he's "barreling down" the trail, "it was getting dark too", and he's preoccupied with finding his GF. You're gonna tell me he was displaying his best judgement? Please, go ahead and explain that to me....

The only thing you can say is that maybe the OP should have been more apologetic to the kid and the father.
    Hence my statement about the OP's cavalier attitude...

Both parties learned something, and that's what happens when these incidents occur. People learn from their mistakes.
    I'm not sure either one of them learned anything. What did the OP learn?

If you have never made an piss poor choice in your life, then I highly commend you and I shall listen to every word and piece of advice you give for the rest of my life. If not, then, well, F**k off. You are not better than any single person on this forum, or anywhere.
    You stay classy...

mtbr member
    This is why I use high volume tires. I roll over kids without even feeling a bump.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    This is why I use high volume tires. I roll over kids without even feeling a bump.
    Maybe that'll swing me over to the 29er side

mtbr member
    Maybe that'll swing me over to the 29er side
    Be careful, with rolling that easy you may start aiming for those little pests.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'd wager most of us have made bad choices, and learned from them. Unlike the OP, who doesn't even seem to recognize that he could have made a better choice. I don't see any problem calling him out on that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Too bad it wasn't caught on a gopro!

mtbr member
    Totally cool dude! You rule at jumping five year olds and looking for lost girlfriends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    /threadrantfromanoldguy

Am I the only one bothered at this type of interwebz writing?
    haha... i jumped over a kid lol. haha my gf went down the trail 1st and she lol'd @ wen i jump over the kid... dad was like wtf. haha.
    School system - FAIL.

At any rate, bunny hopping a kid and putting people in danger was stupid. Thanks for placing yourself in front of the MTBR firing squad, voluntarily.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast