Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    The kid was drunk too.
    perhaps a healthy dose of bath salts too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    My dad actually did it really well with me. He put training wheels on my bike when i was little but made them too short. They still worked and stopped me from falling over but had like 2-3 in clearance when the bike was upright. They made this rattling noise when they were in use. He just told me not to make the rattling noise. I actually had no idea i was only on 2 wheels. by the time it came to take them off i had not been using them for weeks. Or at least that's what he tells me. I do remember some game about not making noise on my bike when i was little.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    every time the story is told, the holes in it keep getting bigger and more abundant...

i'm still confused. you went down the trail once and then went back to the top to go down again to look for her?
    or,
    you were originally going up and went back down to look for her?

(edit: nevermind, i don't care anyway)
    i was at the end of the trail, where there's a wide path. kind of the main section where small technical trails splinter off at various places. on the single track, there was a fork where one part was technical and one part led straight to that path. either way would have taken her back to that main path. i thought she was there. but i went down the technical backwards until i came to a hairpin, and didn't see her on there, so i went up that to go the correct direction, and down to the bottom where i encountered the kid, so that i could ride back up behind her in case she had gone down further to meet us at another wide path that is also kind of a main path. i just wanted to broaden my scope of looking for her to save time because the sun had already gone down, instead of risking going backwards and not finding her and having to continue backwards. i knew that the other main part that she could have ended up at was familiar to her so i thought she might have gone back down to end up there so that she could at least get out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Funny? not at all.

mtbr member
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

trail addict
    Man, part of me is like, just let the poor thread die.

And the other part of me is like, wow this is really epic, clearly an early frontrunner for best thread of 2012.

Has anyone been called a nazi yet?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

usually cranky
    a looming question is why were no cell phones involved? this is 2012 after all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You didn't help little man up and tell how awesome is bike was

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    Man, part of me is like, just let the poor thread die.

And the other part of me is like, wow this is really epic, clearly an early frontrunner for best thread of 2012.

Has anyone been called a nazi yet?
    Interestingly enough, the grammar/spelling nazis have left this one alone so far. So far.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

"2 Wycked"
    I can throw a football a quarter mile.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Downfall meme: "Hitler reacts to a mountain biker jumping over his kid".... Someone may pick this up...there's only 5,800 of these meme's on youtube.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    This is why I use high volume tires. I roll over kids without even feeling a bump.
    Awful but totally awesome

mtbr member
    I call BS on this story, but if someone hit my son **** would hit the fan. Regardless of fault I'd probably be ready to fight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lol is your reaction to playing Russian Roulette with a kid's life? Seriously? If it would have been my son you would be spending the rest of your days drinking your meals out of a straw. And that's a fact.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    i was at the end of the trail blah blah blah blah blah... blah blah blah ....Hey is that a Bald Eagle? ....blah blah blah blah ....blah blah blah blah blah....at least get out.
    Fixed
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeNudem View Post
    Lol is your reaction to playing Russian Roulette with a kid's life? Seriously? If it would have been my son you would be spending the rest of your days drinking your meals out of a straw. And that's a fact.
    i was, or the father was for leaving the kid behind him, laying down on a turn? seriously.. you'd leave your kid laying like that on a downhill ss turn, more than 20' away from you for an extended period of time? i mean, yeah. that's a great dad. and i'm the a-hole? i'm not going to pretend i did anything wrong.. i'm glad it all turned out ok, but if you're going to take your kid out on a trail like that and just look at him when he falls, please drag him away from the turn if you really want him to lay there indefinitely.

mtbr member
    You had your girl friend, arguably a slower less experienced rider behind you. You didn't even wait for her at the different trail intersections. After all this feed back you're still blameless in your mind? Unfortunately its riders like you who get riders like us banned from trails and get trails closed to the rest of us. That's the simple reality of the situation. If you really are 30 years old...man your attitude and judgement needs some real work.

mtbr member
    you'd leave your kid laying like that on a downhill ss turn, more than 20' away from you for an extended period of time?
    Since you seem to know how long the kid was laying there, please share it with us.

Was he laying there long enough for you to come barreling around the corner and jump over him? Um, how long did that take?
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

mtbr member
    That may or may not be true but it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on your behavior and is therefore completely irrelevant.

What you did was wrong and your attitude toward the entire incident is completely assinine. Until you get that there's really nothing to be gained from discussing any of the rest of this.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Suckin wind like a boss
    as for it being an easy trail, or me going too fast... its not easy, and i was going fast. everybody who's bashing me, you ride slow? how slow? 7mph? 4mph? all the time, you ride your brakes downhill? why do you even have a mountain bike at that point, you might as well get a hybrid if you're going to ride that slow.
    ^this right here, gets you

some of this. moron.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Be careful on the trails.
    You could have hurt the kid.
    You could have hurt yourself.
    The kid's Dad could/should have hurt you.
    You unattended GF could have gotten hurt by a renegade rider like you, or romanced by a sensitive rider like me

Good thread, thanks especially to CHUM and others posting about how to teach the kids to ride. Looking forward to doing that !

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    or romanced by a sensitive rider like me
    Hahaha,
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMP0323 View Post
    If that was one of my children it would have gotten ugly. Its all fun and games until you have seriously injured a child. Poor judgement indeed.

All of you trail side tufguy/poppa bear types making threats of physical violence need to simmer down.

Remember the old saying.... two wrongs do not make a right.

TufGuy food for thought:

I witnessed a situation similar to this play out in a very ugly way:

It happened at Hollister Hills SVRA (I am sure you CA moto-x know the place). For those unfamiliar, Hollister Hills is a network of trails maintined specifically for off road use. Riders of all skill levels share these trails and problems arise... like this one.

I was sitting at my truck and watched this whole thing go down right next to where I was parked.

Rider A comes back to his truck, parks his bike, and chills with some cool H2O. Poppa Bear/Tuff Guy comes flying up the road (way above speed limits) with a kid in tow and rides straight into rider A's area and proceeds to start yelling/cussing at rider A claiming that rider A nearly killed his son on a trail. Rider A said sorry and suggested that perhaps the son would be better off in a beginner area until he got faster.

Poppa Bear hears this and goes off on the guy. Saying that he will show rider A who is a "real man". Poppa Bear rips his helmet off and pushes rider A.... rider A throws a 1-2 combo and drops poppa bear right there... KTFO.

So now poppa bear is out cold on the ground, his kid is freaked out and crying, and rider A is pissed. Luckily for poppa bear, rider A left him alone after dropping him and a nice lady came over and took the scared kid away. I threw cold water on poppa bear... he came to... asked what happened and rode off (leaving his kid). After that rangers were called and things were settled. Poppa Bear was removed from the park. Rider A enjoyed the rest of his day.

Oh yeah... Poppa Bear was a big dude... 6 foot plus and rider A was not so big, probably 6 inches shorter and way thinner.

I am not defending the OP in anyway, just trying to send a word of caution to all of you trail side tough guys that there is always someone tougher than you on the trail.

-CrowSD

mtbr member
    COOL STORY BRO

You mention threats of physical violence, and quote me. Funny, I never mentioned physically harming anyone.

Again, COOL STORY BRO

Quote Originally Posted by CrowSD View Post

All of you trail side tufguy/poppa bear types making threats of physical violence need to simmer down.

Remember the old saying.... two wrongs do not make a right.

TufGuy food for thought:

I witnessed a situation similar to this play out in a very ugly way:

It happened at Hollister Hills SVRA (I am sure you CA moto-x know the place). For those unfamiliar, Hollister Hills is a network of trails maintined specifically for off road use. Riders of all skill levels share these trails and problems arise... like this one.

I was sitting at my truck and watched this whole thing go down right next to where I was parked.

Rider A comes back to his truck, parks his bike, and chills with some cool H2O. Poppa Bear/Tuff Guy comes flying up the road (way above speed limits) with a kid in tow and rides straight into rider A's area and proceeds to start yelling/cussing at rider A claiming that rider A nearly killed his son on a trail. Rider A said sorry and suggested that perhaps the son would be better off in a beginner area until he got faster.

Poppa Bear hears this and goes off on the guy. Saying that he will show rider A who is a "real man". Poppa Bear rips his helmet off and pushes rider A.... rider A throws a 1-2 combo and drops poppa bear right there... KTFO.

So now poppa bear is out cold on the ground, his kid is freaked out and crying, and rider A is pissed. Luckily for poppa bear, rider A left him alone after dropping him and a nice lady came over and took the scared kid away. I threw cold water on poppa bear... he came to... asked what happened and rode off (leaving his kid). After that rangers were called and things were settled. Poppa Bear was removed from the park. Rider A enjoyed the rest of his day.

Oh yeah... Poppa Bear was a big dude... 6 foot plus and rider A was not so big, probably 6 inches shorter and way thinner.

I am not defending the OP in anyway, just trying to send a word of caution to all of you trail side tough guys that there is always someone tougher than you on the trail.

-CrowSD

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Can we get a popcorn machine in here?

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast