Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ride More, Work Less

Round 2

Round 2: Axe vs. Sock Puppet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lol.. i jumped over a kid today-axe.png  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDelver View Post

PS~What do the little green and red rep things mean?
    Green means you are funny.

Red means the ignorant people can't counter your argument with logic so they anonymously hit a button to say they don't like you.

Pale Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    You really do not get the difference between speed and line of sight? Really?
    Speed of light? What? Awe fvck! Disregard......... this thread is making my eyes cross.
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I get going fast, I get going fast around turns, I don't get going that fast around turns BACKWARDS.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    By this time in the thread I am thinking he is a full grown imbecile.

I wonder who repped him back into green? Train wreck gawking aficionados?
    me.

he was taking hits and not losing his marbles.

Click Here for Forum Rules

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    me.
    Bad choice, IMO.

not losing his marbles.
    I wonder if that is possible.

And yes, I have read your message. I am, in fact, angry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mark! View Post
    I get going fast, I get going fast around turns, I don't get going that fast around turns BACKWARDS.
    read the whole thread. i wasn't going backwards.

anyways, like i've said numerous times, i was not riding outside of my own comfort, i was going the right direction down a single track came around a bend, and boom, kid on the ground. i could see OVER the shrub and saw the dad alone, on his bike. I tried to see how fast he was moving so I would know to stop after the turn turned straight without coming up right behind him. during that, again... i see something coming around the bend sticking out, a split second later i'm jumping over the kid. if by the time i saw anything on the ground i tried to stop, i would have skid into him, definitely hurting him. anyways, when i landed, before i had an opportunity to say anything, the father was yelling at me at the top of his lungs, STILL ON HIS BIKE. this dude made no attempt to get off his bike. i don't even think he knew that his son had fallen until after i came up, which means that he was not paying attention to his own child, who was very very young, which is why the kid shouldn't be behind him. next to him, in front of him, thats one thing. but this specific guy, he couldn't keep an eye on his kid, so that's why i say the kid didn't belong there, or at the very least, he should have been in a visible position. so the dad's yelling, and i decided to just leave, because there's really not a whole lot i can do in that situation. if i stayed, he may try to hit me, there's another young son there, etc... in the middle of the woods with 2 kids and their dad i'm not gonna stick around to throw fists. maybe some of you would do that in front of your kids instead of considering the fact that you made a terrible call when it came to supervising your children, but that's up to you to decide when that time comes. i made sure the kid was ok, i made sure to really lift the back wheel up over him because i didn't know how high i could get the front without any warning, but it was enough thankfully, so i turned my head back and made sure he was ok, and peaced out before it got ugly.

if you people really, truly have never been in a situation where anything like this could have happened, then maybe you're just better people than me. i don't know. i was pissed that the dad put everything together to make a situation like this for me, because i shouldn't have to be jumping over kids. again, my background is snowboarding, you fall, you go to the side. you don't hang out in a turn. you put the slower people in front of you. you help people get out of a turn when they fall. you don't however, ignore them. you don't bring children down a diamond, and if you do, you prepare to actually watch them. this father, well... i guess thats mountain biking. you throw the kid behind you and ignore them. personally, thats not my style. i've dated women with children, i've brought them to trails, and i've made sure they were fine. i guess i was just extra careful because they weren't mine.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I am out of here. It is genuinely depressing. Young men like you who make the person with the future of the race at heart despair!

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    if you people really, truly have never been in a situation where anything like this could have happened, then maybe you're just better people than me. i don't know. i was pissed that the dad put everything together to make a situation like this for me, because i shouldn't have to be jumping over kids. again, my background is snowboarding, you fall, you go to the side. you don't hang out in a turn. you put the slower people in front of you. you help people get out of a turn when they fall. you don't however, ignore them. you don't bring children down a diamond, and if you do, you prepare to actually watch them. this father, well... i guess thats mountain biking. you throw the kid behind you and ignore them. personally, thats not my style. i've dated women with children, i've brought them to trails, and i've made sure they were fine. i guess i was just extra careful because they weren't mine.
    This paragraph is so full of stupid.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    This paragraph is so full of stupid.
    intelligent response. your sentence is so full of... oh you know.

Diggity Dog
    i don't know. i was pissed that the dad put everything together to make a situation like this <b><big>for me</big></b>, because i shouldn't have to be jumping over kids.
    You poor thing. The suffering you have had to endure. I hope the world will soon get back to revolving around you like it used to. Hang in there.

mtbr member
    I must admit that I was initially quite skeptical about this story, however your university eduction in English has proven persuasive, and I'm now convinced.

Unfortunately there are still a lot of haters in this thread, and I think there's an easy way to shut them up:

1. With a buddy, head back out to the spot where it all went down, and bring a doll (you may have one at home, if too large to carry to the trail comfortably substitute a camelbak or similar).

2. Place the doll where the kid was sprawled helpless, get your friend to stand where the dad was and snap a couple of photos.

3. Then get your mate to get a shot off of you rounding the blind corner where your doll is. If you can't perform (the bunnyhop), don't worry, it'll still give everyone a good idea of how little time you had to assess your options.

These photos will make everything much easier to follow.

You made a good call on the day and were right to run away. But it might be therapeutic for you (and the doubters on MTBR) to return to the scene anyway and make peace with this whole sorry saga.
    Last edited by Tubbsy; 07-25-2012 at 06:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muddytire View Post
    Green means you are funny.

Red means the ignorant people can't counter your argument with logic so they anonymously hit a button to say they don't like you.
    See...all it took was me posting this to make someone feel so insecure that they anonymously neg-repped me! It's easy! Try it!

banned
    Jun 2007
    Simply amazing! 300+ posts of situation, offense vs. defense, and re-justification. Has to be some kind of endurance record for tenacity. Forget the myriad of details, remove the personal factors, and let's remember that the kid was not injured.

It is now abundantly clear that the OP is unwilling to accept any rational input, and has defended his stance without becoming a total d-bag. Life's early lessons teach us how to pick battles, and that there is no way in life, or on the interwebz to argue with insanity.
    This marathon thread seems a result of ignoring those concepts.

As riders, we are all responsible for our actions. For the OP to justify his split-second decision vs. whacking the fallen child holds some real merit. Always best to avoid lawn-darting another trail user, by any means possible. Yes, even if to do so causes you bodily harm, and despite your opinion that the other person is at fault. Why? - Because in the eyes of the law - DH mtb-ers are the lowest form of trail user. Hit another, and be prepared to suffer legal consequences.

Bottom line: Had there been impact, and the child injured - the DH rider would be culpable, found guilty, fined, and ordered to pay restitution.

If not wishing to contribute, and just going for the lulz - I'd have suggested that blind-corner kid jumping be added to all NUE series events.
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 07-25-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: grammer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMP0323 View Post
    LOL @ your negative ding note "Right back at ya...... BRO". CrowSD.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Really? Oh, and if I would have even considered wasting my time to guide my mouse over to the left to "Neg Rep You" I would have signed.
    Too funny!
    My goodness you sure seem to be wound tight.

Let it go man.... just let it go.

mtbr member
    Again, BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Your too funny. 9 posts since joining and your already slinging neg rep around like a tool. I pity the fool.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowSD View Post
    My goodness you sure seem to be wound tight.

Let it go man.... just let it go.

mtbr member
    Again, BWAHAHAHAHAHA. Your too funny. 9 posts since joining and your already slinging neg rep around like a tool. I pity the fool.
    I am honestly not trying to be funny.

You DO seem to be wound a bit tight for a freakin internet message board. Especially when it comes to your precious green dots. Again.... let it go man.

And there has been no slinging of bad rep.... one lil red dot for you signed by myself no others. Unlike the anonymous red dots I have gotten just this morning.

To the anonymous crowd.... grow a pair and put your name to what you have to say. If you cannot do that then you are a coward.... plain and simple.
    Last edited by CrowSD; 07-25-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling error

mtbr member
    Speaking of "wound too tight".

Unlike the anonymous red dots I have gotten just this morning.
    To the anonymous crowd.... grow a pair and put your name to what you have to say. If you cannot do that then you are a coward.... plain and simple.

banned
    Sep 2010
    [QUOTE=CrowSD;9531829]

To the anonymous crowd.... QUOTE]

You mean as opposed to the anonimity of the internet?

mtbr member
    Speaking of "wound too tight".
    If you say so.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=floydlippencott;9531861]

To the anonymous crowd.... QUOTE]

You mean as opposed to the anonimity of the internet?
    Exactly.... this is the internet. No need to be a coward and not sign a neg rep.

Just one mans opinion.

AZ
    banned
    This thread,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubbsy View Post
    I must admit that I was initially quite skeptical about this story, however your university eduction in English has proven persuasive, and I'm now convinced.

Unfortunately there are still a lot of haters in this thread, and I think there's an easy way to shut them up:

1. With a buddy, head back out to the spot where it all went down, and bring a doll (you may have one at home, if too large to carry to the trail comfortably substitute a camelbak or similar).

2. Place the doll where the kid was sprawled helpless, get your friend to stand where the dad was and snap a couple of photos.

3. Then get your mate to get a shot off of you rounding the blind corner where your doll is. If you can't perform (the bunnyhop), don't worry, it'll still give everyone a good idea of how little time you had to assess your options.

These photos will make everything much easier to follow.

You made a good call on the day and were right to run away. But it might be therapeutic for you (and the doubters on MTBR) to return to the scene anyway and make peace with this whole sorry saga.
    I think this is the best suggestion yet. We need a video re-creation of the whole scenario. You know, like they do on TV crime shows and stuff. The OP needs to get together with a couple friends, a video camera and a a toddler-sized doll, and lay it out for us. We'll never understand otherwise.

BTW, I also want to see if he can actually bunny hop a child cleanly enough not to touch the kid with either wheel when going fast on an apparently rough trail and coming out of a blind corner. Not just unweight and lift the rear tire across the kid, but actually get a foot in the air such that the kid was completely untouched by the bike. Sounds like a fair piece of riding to me.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    "I usually sign my negative rep...just like in this case - Heyyall. ps-if you are indeed a user and not a person pet sock puppet, I'll correct the negative with a positive soon enough."

Although, you didn't sign your first one.... you know the one.

WTF is a "person pet sock puppet" ??

I have never heard of this one....

Ride More, Work Less
    "I usually sign my negative rep...just like in this case - Heyyall. ps-if you are indeed a user and not a person pet sock puppet, I'll correct the negative with a positive soon enough."

Yes, I signed that rep. Here is what a sock puppet is

Urban Dictionary: sock puppet

And, I have only given you one neg rep. You have other fans out there that are giving you neg reps as it takes something like a 100 reps before you can re-rep someone.

AZ
    banned

Some here think that you are probably a sock puppet account.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I think this is the best suggestion yet. We need a video re-creation of the whole scenario. You know, like they do on TV crime shows and stuff. The OP needs to get together with a couple friends, a video camera and a a toddler-sized doll, and lay it out for us. We'll never understand otherwise.

BTW, I also want to see if he can actually bunny hop a child cleanly enough not to touch the kid with either wheel when going fast on an apparently rough trail and coming out of a blind corner. Not just unweight and lift the rear tire across the kid, but actually get a foot in the air such that the kid was completely untouched by the bike. Sounds like a fair piece of riding to me.
    this would be AWESOME!

I can throw in a new/unopened pair of Salsa Juegos de Fuego Lock-On grips in RED for the OP if he does this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Some here think that you are probably a sock puppet account.
    i did a quick check - he's not an obvious puppet...and not even remotely close to the OP.

Ride More, Work Less
    this would be AWESOME!

I agree! At first I thought it was too bad that his girl friend left him in the dust as she could have vouched for him. But, the reenactment video sounds like a riot. I really want to see this downhill bunny hop technique. That is a skill I struggle with. Perhaps we should all post up some videos and have a contest for the grips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Yes, I signed that rep. Here is what a sock puppet is

Urban Dictionary: sock puppet

And, I have only given you one neg rep. You have other fans out there that are giving you neg reps as it takes something like a 100 reps before you can re-rep someone.
    Interesting. I learn something new everyday.

I am not a "sock puppet" I promise you that.

If it wasn't you that dinged me with the anonymous "sock puppet" comment, my apologies. I made an assumption when I should not have.

I try to be a stand up guy and appreciate it when others try to do the same.

meow meow
    two things:

the tour is infact a pretty dangerous race, lots of crashes, broken bones are common.

i have never seen a singletrack ski trail (other than the silly bootleg trails off the side of real trails). most, no matter the rating, are pretty wide open with no sharp bends.

mtbr member
    i did a quick check - he's not an obvious puppet...and not even remotely close to the OP.

At least ONE person around here believes I am real and not a "sock puppet".

Is this sock puppet thing a problem around here?

This forum has a very "unique" dynamic.

Ride More, Work Less
    Interesting. I learn something new everyday.

I am not a "sock puppet" I promise you that.

If it wasn't you that dinged me with the anonymous "sock puppet" comment, my apologies. I made an assumption when I should not have.

I try to be a stand up guy and appreciate it when others try to do the same.
    Looks like you'll do just fine here. I'll make it up to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Looks like you'll do just fine here. I'll make it up to you.
    HAHA!

Time will tell.

I do know that a certain member around here seems to have quite an issue with me, but it is their issue not mine.

Anyways, thanks for the info it helped eliminate some confusion on my end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    I have never seen a singletrack ski trail (other than the silly bootleg trails off the side of real trails). most, no matter the rating, are pretty wide open with no sharp bends.
    I was trying to figure this one out, too. Not many places that I've skiied have been analogous to riding single track.

But one thing they do have in common is that in skiing/snowboarding, the uphill guy is always responsible for not hitting people who may have fallen, are stopped, going slow, or otherwise in the way. Pretty much a universal rule in gravity sports, really.

Surfing is about the only thing I've done where the rule seems to be "get outta my way."
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

meow meow

But one thing they do have in common is that in skiing/snowboarding, the uphill guy is always responsible for not hitting people who may have fallen, are stopped, going slow, or otherwise in the way. Pretty much a universal rule in gravity sports, really.
    pretty much all accidents of any kind it seems that the person in the rear is held accountable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    this would be AWESOME!

I can throw in a new/unopened pair of Salsa Juegos de Fuego Lock-On grips in RED for the OP if he does this.

lol i don't need the grips, but if i ever have the time to recreate this.. i'll get on that. next time i'm there i'll take some pictures though, thats easy enough. i've been getting over a cold this week so i haven't done any riding.

mtbr member
    I was trying to figure this one out, too. Not many places that I've skiied have been analogous to riding single track.

Surfing is about the only thing I've done where the rule seems to be "get outta my way."
    Somebody (anonymously) neg repped me for calling "cycling" a true gravity sport. Ok, I guess to clarify, in any similar activity (biking, hiking, skiing, roller blading, anything else), you can't just run into or over someone who is in front of you or who is where you want to go, regardless of whether they have fallen, are slow, are young, or small. If you do, you're in the wrong.

Ok, what is the problem with that statement, anonymous neg repper?
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Your Best Friend
    I thought I'd take a second to throw out a parents point of view because it seems to constantly come up in this thread where the kid "should" have been.

I am a father of 5 kids, 4 of whom are old enough to ride. I take them on single track whenever I can.

Most of the time I ride behind them, not really for safety reasons but also so I can critique their riding and let them know where they could do better and to encourage them along. Sometimes I ride in front because then they can see how I am doing it and maybe they'll learn to emulate that.

In the OP's situation we have no idea why the dad chose to ride in front of his kid. My opinion, it doesn't matter.

If I am riding in front and my kid crashes behind me, it will take me a second to realize it has happened, come to a stop and then encourage them to get back up and back on their bike. I don't rush to their aid and help them up as this just encourages them to "milk" the crash. If you know kids, you know they don't always just hop back up, they'll sit there evaluating their wounds deciding if they should cry or not. Pretty normal. I would be trying to tell them that they need to move as they don't understand the danger they are in. Keep in mind, this all takes time...many seconds and it can seem to take awhile. I have to trust that other trail users are riding in control.

So all that being said, If one of my kids was down on the trail, and a biker came around a corner fast enough that if he bunny hopped, he'd clear my kid...there'd be hell to pay.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Somebody (anonymously) neg repped me for calling "cycling" a true gravity sport. Ok, I guess to clarify, in any similar activity (biking, hiking, skiing, roller blading, anything else), you can't just run into or over someone who is in front of you or who is where you want to go, regardless of whether they have fallen, are slow, are young, or small. If you do, you're in the wrong.

Ok, what is the problem with that statement, anonymous neg repper?
    so you're supposed to run them over? lol.. if its unintentional, and they are an unsupervised child in a position to not be seen, what do you do? its one thing to purposely do it, to set out to jump over someone or run them over or try to hurt them.. obviously that's wrong, that doesn't take much of a brain to figure out. but that argument is null in this situation because the whole circumstance was unintentional.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I thought I'd take a second to throw out a parents point of view because it seems to constantly come up in this thread where the kid "should" have been.

I am a father of 5 kids, 4 of whom are old enough to ride. I take them on single track whenever I can.

Most of the time I ride behind them, not really for safety reasons but also so I can critique their riding and let them know where they could do better and to encourage them along. Sometimes I ride in front because then they can see how I am doing it and maybe they'll learn to emulate that.

In the OP's situation we have no idea why the dad chose to ride in front of his kid. My opinion, it doesn't matter.

If I am riding in front and my kid crashes behind me, it will take me a second to realize it has happened, come to a stop and then encourage them to get back up and back on their bike. I don't rush to their aid and help them up as this just encourages them to "milk" the crash. If you know kids, you know they don't always just hop back up, they'll sit there evaluating their wounds deciding if they should cry or not. Pretty normal. I would be trying to tell them that they need to move as they don't understand the danger they are in. Keep in mind, this all takes time...many seconds and it can seem to take awhile. I have to trust that other trail users are riding in control.

So all that being said, If one of my kids was down on the trail, and a biker came around a corner fast enough that if he bunny hopped, he'd clear my kid...there'd be hell to pay.
    so you seriously would let your kid lay down on a single in a blind turn on a down hill section, for an extended period of time? and then you'd blame the rider for not expecting a child to be laying down around every bend? sounds like the father i ran into... i guess its more common than i thought.

Your Best Friend
    so you seriously would let your kid lay down on a single in a blind turn on a down hill section, for an extended period of time? and then you'd blame the rider for not expecting a child to be laying down around every bend? sounds like the father i ran into... i guess its more common than i thought.

So tell us, exactly how long was the kid on the ground for?
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    You and you alone is responsible for not running into people, no matter what they do. That father has done nothing wrong. Arguing with that makes you look stupid.

banned
    This forum has a very "unique" dynamic.
    This thread isn't even the tip of the iceberg...

banned
    You keep saying the kid was there for "an extended period of time." Please define this duration. How long (in your opinion) is "an extended period of time"?

And, how long (in seconds) did it take you to come around the blind corner and jump over the kid?

mtbr member
    so you're supposed to run them over? lol.. if its unintentional, and they are an unsupervised child in a position to not be seen, what do you do?
    If you're riding fast enough that you can't stop or avoid the person on the ground, the appropriate word for your actions probably isn't "unintentional." It is "reckless."

Big difference.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i'm saying an extended period of time because he was already down and not moving when i came up to him, and the father, when i first spotted him wasn't even looking in that direction, and even after i passed he hadn't made an attempt to get off his bike. extended means that the kid was down, and the dad didn't know or react to it.

banned
    So, is "an extended period of time" 10 seconds? 5 seconds? 30 seconds?

And, how long did it take for you to come around the corner, jump over the kid, and come to a stop?

Edit: In case you hadn't noticed, I'm trying to put things into the proper perspective...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    What if the kid was hurt? Scraped a knee or twisted something? Of course he's not gonna be quick to just jump right back up on his bike and tear ass. Sure if he's on the track playing with the dirt, etc that's an issue, but a fall, a few seconds to collect himself, check for cuts/scrapes, get up and off the trail can take 15-20 seconds for an adult, longer as a child since they don't have the thought process usually of getting the fvck off the trail asap for other rides.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I do know this, if some dickwad bunny hopped my kid someone definately would have been lying on the ground for an "extended amount of time".

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i don't know how long the kid was down. but like i've said, this kid literally had a 13" wheel bike, he was maybe 5 years old? and the father was in front of him, and not paying attention? and that's ok? even if he's down for a second, a kid that little on those trails, should have more supervision than a glance backwards every now and again to make sure he's still alive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    I do know this, if some dickwad bunny hopped my kid someone definately would have been lying on the ground for an "extended amount of time".
    yes, we know.. you're a born hero.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    This thread isn't even the tip of the iceberg...
    In my short time here I have already learned to avoid the following discussions:

clipless vs flats
    29er vs 26er
    FS vs HardTail

I am about to add any thread where a kid is involved to my short but growing list.

banned
    In my short time here I have already learned to avoid the following discussions:

clipless vs flats
    29er vs 26er
    FS vs HardTail

I am about to add any thread where a kid is involved to my short but growing list.
    Add turtles, dogs off leashes, smoking weed, and right of way. That will get you off to a good start.

banned
    Sep 2010
    yes, we know.. you're a born hero.

And you, a true zero.

Yes, that's fonetic
    i don't know how long the kid was down. but like i've said, this kid literally had a 13" wheel bike, he was maybe 5 years old? and the father was in front of him, and not paying attention? and that's ok? even if he's down for a second, a kid that little on those trails, should have more supervision than a glance backwards every now and again to make sure he's still alive.
    Wow. I can't believe you're still trying to justify your actions, and now you're questioning the dad's parenting skills? WTF does the size of the wheels on the kid's bike matter? If the trail is tame enough for a kid to access with a 13" wheel bike (never heard of that size btw), you had no business going too fast to stop. Please stop trying to justify what you did, you're just digging yourself deeper. Maybe you were just trying to live up to your name...out to maim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Add turtles, dogs off leashes, smoking weed, and right of way. That will get you off to a good start.
    Advice taken.

The list grows.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    so you're supposed to run them over? lol.. if its unintentional, and they are an unsupervised child in a position to not be seen, what do you do? its one thing to purposely do it, to set out to jump over someone or run them over or try to hurt them.. obviously that's wrong, that doesn't take much of a brain to figure out. but that argument is null in this situation because the whole circumstance was unintentional.
    As a parent of 2 young kids just learning to ride, I have to chime in here. Who gives a damn, if what the father did was right or wrong? You put 2 lives in danger with your actions - the child's and, dare I say it, yours.

No you're not supposed to run them over. You're supposed to be riding in control with enough time to come to a stop before the obstacle, which in this case was a human being. What if it was a large boulder or downed tree? Would you have bunny hopped over or even had time to?

Think about your actions for a few moments before continuing to try to justify your actions.

Is this thing on?

clipless vs flats
    29er vs 26er
    FS vs HardTail

Here are a couple more heavy hitters:

Which tire is best.

Tubeless vs tubes

If you want real fun, go on a motorcycle site and ask what oil to run. Guaranteed fun and games.

OP: Are both your Shift and Cap Lock keys broken? I'm an engineer and can barely communicate but I learned it is I not i and sentences begin with a capital letter in first grade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Wow. I can't believe you're still trying to justify your actions, and now you're questioning the dad's parenting skills? WTF does the size of the wheels on the kid's bike matter? If the trail is tame enough for a kid to access with a 13" wheel bike (never heard of that size btw), you had no business going too fast to stop. Please stop trying to justify what you did, you're just digging yourself deeper. Maybe you were just trying to live up to your name...out to maim?
    It's an old screen name from the old school arcade days. Everyone keeps using the fact that the kid was on the trail as an excuse for them to think I'm in the wrong. He was too little for the trail. How do I know? Because he was on the ground, in a dangerous place to be laying. The dad messed up. How do I know? Because he wasn't aware of this. If your kid got that far, good for him... But it doesn't mean you can take your eyes off of a five year old. On top of it, he was setting a poor example by trying to start a fight with me in front of his 2 kids, because instead of acting rational, he wanted to ignore his role in the situation and blame me.

All I'm saying is that while you all might think I was going too fast, that is irrelevant to me. My issue is with the kid being on the trail, laying down, in a turn. I was alert enough to see the dad and prepare to stop, but in no way was I ready for a kid to be on the ground in front of me. The most I could do was jump him, and luckily for him it worked out, no thanks to his lazy father.

Oh... 14 inch? I don't know bike sizes that little. Below 16 inch, above tricycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have my shift keys reassigned to other tasks for my job. When I'm on my phone it does it for me though, like now.

Yes, that's fonetic
    I have my shift keys reassigned to other tasks for my job. When I'm on my phone it does it for me though, like now.
    Yes, you've made it quite clear that you're not concerned about appearing educated.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    It's an old screen name from the old school arcade days. Everyone keeps using the fact that the kid was on the trail as an excuse for them to think I'm in the wrong.
    You ARE wrong. There is no need for us to make any excuses. You are 110%, no questions about it, not a shade of doubt WRONG, in all capital letters. Completely and utterly. Being right is no more for you. It ceased to exist.

Just think about it, it is a big world out there, and everybody with a common sense thinks you are wrong. Let it weight down on you. We can only hope it gets through one day.

I am not sure why Chum is encouraging trolls. I thought he has more sense than that.

mtbr member
    This thread is hilarious... You can't reason with someone of that mental capacity.

I hope you'll be able to jump the next poor soul, who goes down in front of you... good luck, Corky.

Diggity Dog
    It's an old screen name from the old school arcade days. Everyone keeps using the fact that the kid was on the trail as an excuse for them to think I'm in the wrong. He was too little for the trail. How do I know? Because he was on the ground, in a dangerous place to be laying. The dad messed up. How do I know? Because he wasn't aware of this. If your kid got that far, good for him... But it doesn't mean you can take your eyes off of a five year old. On top of it, he was setting a poor example by trying to start a fight with me in front of his 2 kids, because instead of acting rational, he wanted to ignore his role in the situation and blame me.

All I'm saying is that while you all might think I was going too fast, that is irrelevant to me. My issue is with the kid being on the trail, laying down, in a turn. I was alert enough to see the dad and prepare to stop, but in no way was I ready for a kid to be on the ground in front of me. The most I could do was jump him, and luckily for him it worked out, no thanks to his lazy father.

Oh... 14 inch? I don't know bike sizes that little. Below 16 inch, above tricycle.
    Your digging your hole deeper with every post. Soon you'll be so buried you'll have to be fed with a slingshot.

As far as wheel size goes an average 5 year old is at least on a 16" and possibly riding a 20" wheeled bike. You might be "inch challenged" or possibly the child in question is younger than you think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i'm not trolling anything. i am simply stating what happened. if you want to think that i'm wrong for riding my bike, then so be it. i did laugh when you said being right is no more for me. that's quite funny, i like it lol.. but in all seriousness, i don't believe that i was wrong. i believe that the father should have been watching his child more carefully, considering the trail, and his age. it was extremely careless of the dad to put a child that young behind him, and ignore him for even a second. how many times has a parent run their child over, or let them run into the street because they stopped doing their job for just a few seconds. that's what happens, bad things happen when you as a parent, don't acknowledge your duties. you're right, it is a big world out there, and in that big world, there are people that are not paying attention to your children. that is why it is your duty as a parent to watch out for them and keep them out of harms way. not let them lay down on a turn in a shrub covered down hill single track trail. i'm sorry, but i just don't see how my speed has much to do with this situation. i wasn't going too fast to stop, but i literally would have had to be crawling to be able to stop before hitting this kid, and i know i know... everyone here rides their bikes with their brakes constantly touching the rotors to ensure that they don't go fast enough to not be able to stop on a dime in the dirt.. i was riding at my normal pace, saw a kid, jumped. god forbid. of course i'm the *******, but yeah, i still blame the parent.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OGWGFIWRT View Post
    Your digging your hole deeper with every post. Soon you'll be so buried you'll have to be fed with a slingshot.

As far as wheel size goes an average 5 year old is at least on a 16" and possibly riding a 20" wheeled bike. You might be "inch challenged" or possibly the child in question is younger than you think.
    you could be right. i don't have kids, don't really like kids to be perfectly honest. i don't know how old they are at what size, but i know what a 20" bike is because i have one. i know that the other kid had a 16" because its smaller than mine, and i know the one down on the trail had one smaller than a 16". if that makes him less than 5, so be it. more reason for him not to be there, and definitely more reason for the father to care more about his kid before anything happened, as opposed to letting the kid just trail behind him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've ended up laying on the ground on trails I had perfectly ok business being on by the way. Just saying.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Come on now.... I expect better.

If you are going to be an anonymous coward you could at least be creative about it.

lol.. i jumped over a... 07-25-2012 10:21 AM You are indeed a real idiot.
    lol.. i jumped over a... 07-25-2012 10:15 AM Ha, you suck

banned
    I find this to be funny...

i've dated women with children, i've brought them to trails, and i've made sure they were fine. i guess i was just extra careful because they weren't mine.
    i don't have kids, don't really like kids to be perfectly honest.
    But, I find this to be outright hilarious.

i do have an english degree, so i feel as though i can definitely present the details to a decent degree of proficiency.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i dated women with kids, i realized that i didn't really like them, so i stopped dating women with kids. i'm sure if i had my own i'd feel differently, but there's a lot that goes into dating a woman who has children already. you have no rights to the kids, any emotions you feel towards them are severed as soon as you break up, and its kind of a fruitless effort unless you get married and adopt and whatnot. so no, i don't like children. but yes, i have been around them.

let me guess, none of you have gone the extra mile for a chick you were into either?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    I've ended up laying on the ground on trails I had perfectly ok business being on by the way. Just saying.
    as have i. but we are old enough to know when we are in a dangerous situation, and to vacate the area. however, if i was (i guess less than) 5 years old, and my father had no idea that i had fallen, while going down a trail that was obviously too rough for me, and i got ran over because my dad was oblivious... that would be the rider's fault. and my father would have beat the guy up. and everybody would be happy with that situation.

mtbr member
    but in all seriousness, i don't believe that i was wrong.
    That much is clear. Even though 99% of the other riders on this site disagree. So agree to disagree, I guess.

But it is the reasonableness of that belief that people are questioning, and which you keep trying to defense. You're gonna have to come up with some other facts or point of view to change people's minds -- regurgitating the same "but the kid shouldn't have been there, it was the father's fault" isn't going to help anyone see your point of view.

Strike that ... this thread has been quite entertaining, and I kind of hope it continues ...
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Diggity Dog
    you could be right. i don't have kids, don't really like kids to be perfectly honest. i don't know how old they are at what size, but i know what a 20" bike is because i have one. i know that the other kid had a 16" because its smaller than mine, and i know the one down on the trail had one smaller than a 16". if that makes him less than 5, so be it. more reason for him not to be there, and definitely more reason for the father to care more about his kid before anything happened, as opposed to letting the kid just trail behind him.
    And deeper ....

You are now ready to graduate from small children to jumping sharks. It's been a good show but it has run it's course. It's ceased to be entertaining and has just become sad.

Jump that shark Fonzie .... jump it!

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Curmy View Post
    You and you alone is responsible for not running into people, no matter what they do. That father has done nothing wrong. Arguing with that makes you look stupid.
    This is what kids do when they fall down, simple as that. When using the trails you have to be ready for this or any other unseen obstacles and react accordingly.

trail addict
    pretty much all accidents of any kind it seems that the person in the rear is held accountable.
    that's what she said.

Sorry, but a thread this long needs at least one of those, right?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbikur View Post
    This is what kids do when they fall down, simple as that. When using the trails you have to be ready for this or any other unseen obstacles and react accordingly.
    i agree with that. that is what kids do, which is why the father should have kept a better eye on his kid. i was prepared enough to not hurt the kid, but not prepared enough to stop, because obviously thats not what i was expecting. but in the future i will definitely be more cautious going around bends, making sure there's no foxes or children or homeless men's strawberries. but i just think its crazy that parents would leave their kids like that. and by leave, i mean ride away from them when they have fallen in such a bad spot, esp a spot that you yourself just went through. its not like he had no idea what that turn was, he was 20' away from it.

trail addict
    I would definitely let Brandon Semenuk jump over either of my kids.

Just sayin.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    as have i. but we are old enough to know when we are in a dangerous situation, and to vacate the area. however, if i was (i guess less than) 5 years old, and my father had no idea that i had fallen, while going down a trail that was obviously too rough for me, and i got ran over because my dad was oblivious... that would be the rider's fault. and my father would have beat the guy up. and everybody would be happy with that situation.
    Yeah let me tell you how fast I vacated the area with a face full of thorn bush and a broken collarbone. How do you know he hadn't just fallen within seconds of you coming along?
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Yeah let me tell you how fast I vacated the area with a face full of thorn bush and a broken collarbone. How do you know he hadn't just fallen within seconds of you coming along?
    ....i don't. another argument for the father being behind his children so he can watch them.

meow meow
    i think the only thing the op has proved thus far is you can get a college degree and still be an idiot.

Diggity Dog
    i think the only thing the op has proved thus far is you can get a college degree and still be an idiot.
    A case of being educated way beyond their intelligence perhaps?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yes, i am stupid. i have 2 BA's... well, a BA and a BFA. either way, i don't use capitals. ahhhh i'm so stupid. i can't. i just can't function lol... yeah, i jumped a kid. i blamed his father for his negligence. i don't know what else to say.

Pro Crastinator
    this thread will never die if you keep popping your head back in to give another 2 cents now and again. if you just leave it alone, it will fall away as no one will have anything to keep poking at you with...

Is this thing on?
    yes, i am stupid. i have 2 BA's... well, a BA and a BFA. either way, i don't use capitals. ahhhh i'm so stupid. i can't. i just can't function lol... yeah, i jumped a kid. i blamed his father for his negligence. i don't know what else to say.
    Don't worry, you have said more than enough. Not using capital letters doesn't make you stupid, it just makes your posts annoying and difficult to read. What you have written on the other hand.......

For the record, possessing a college degree is not a good indicator of intelligence.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i never said it was a measure of intelligence, but people were bashing me because they failed to read what i had written, and made assumptions of facts that were already clarified earlier. i threw out that i had an english degree because i felt as though i had presented the situation in a fairly detailed and articulate way, and that if people had read what i had wrote, they wouldn't have been making the wrong assumptions and arguing points that were invalid. i never said that the degrees made me smarter. i merely stated that i have formal training in my native language lol... i don't mind people arguing with me, but at least read what i wrote before forming an opinion.

Is this thing on?
    Happy day! I got my first red square. They didn't have the balls to sign it but whatever.

"grammar and punctuation police? how about this sentence....u r a dooosh"

Name:  grammarpolice.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  18.6 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    lol get used to it. i also don't think that your rep value determines your likability. cause i like me and i'm usually more red than green

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    Happy day! I got my first red square. They didn't have the balls to sign it but whatever.

"grammar and punctuation police? how about this sentence....u r a dooosh"

Name:  grammarpolice.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  18.6 KB
    With no capital letters. Hmmmm... I also received a red square on this thread. Perp also failed to employ caps on my neg rep ... Very interesting.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Is this thing on?
    i never said it was a measure of intelligence, but people were bashing me because they failed to read what i had written, and made assumptions of facts that were already clarified earlier. i threw out that i had an english degree because i felt as though i had presented the situation in a fairly detailed and articulate way, and that if people had read what i had wrote, they wouldn't have been making the wrong assumptions and arguing points that were invalid. i never said that the degrees made me smarter. i merely stated that i have formal training in my native language lol... i don't mind people arguing with me, but at least read what i wrote before forming an opinion.
    Here's the thing you fail to understand. What you have said and described is from your point of view and your opinion of the situation. As with all things in life with more than one person involved, peoples perception of the event will be different and our roll in those events will color our view. In simple terms, in a story the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. You stubbornly refuse to even consider you had any responsibility in the situation or anyone should see things differently than you do. Also, your cavalier attitude, LOL I just bunny hopped some idiot's kid, puts people off.

I'm more than a few years older than you and have been in many tight situations both because of my poor decisions and others decisions. I have been lucky that when I have f$&ked up I'm the only one that was injured. I don't crawl down trails but I don't out ride my sight lines and leave a little in reserve in case something happens. Multi-use trails are not race courses and there are no medals for being fastest. Besides, if you haven't learned already, there is always someone faster than you. The only place I ride with abandon is the race course.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You pointed out the Enlish degree and BA's because it makes you feel like a bigger person, and it makes your cocksis appear bigger. When in reality, folks on the internet don't give a ****. If your thread title was..."Nearly hit a kid...Father wasn't paying attention..." and then went on and on about how negligent the father was, you would have gotten a different reaction. However, you posted like a 12 year old with the whole omglolwtfbbq I just totally bunny hopped a kid! And then you wanted props because you jumped the kid. Instead, you were met with rational people saying you were riding out of your ability if you didn't have time to stop, going around a blind corner.

It's ok that you don't realize you're wrong in this instance, and you can continue to attempt to justify your feat of greatness amongst you and yourself, it's rather entertaining to watch you drown in your own stupidity.

meow meow
    lol get used to it. i also don't think that your rep value determines your likability. cause i like me and i'm usually more red than green
    its a pretty good indicator imo.

AZ
    banned

Of course you like you, it is quite apparent. Most of the other users here however.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    Here's the thing you fail to understand. What you have said and described is from your point of view and your opinion of the situation. As with all things in life with more than one person involved, peoples perception of the event will be different and our roll in those events will color our view. In simple terms, in a story the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. You stubbornly refuse to even consider you had any responsibility in the situation or anyone should see things differently than you do. Also, your cavalier attitude, LOL I just bunny hopped some idiot's kid, puts people off.

I'm more than a few years older than you and have been in many tight situations both because of my poor decisions and others decisions. I have been lucky that when I have f$&ked up I'm the only one that was injured. I don't crawl down trails but I don't out ride my sight lines and leave a little in reserve in case something happens. Multi-use trails are not race courses and there are no medals for being fastest. Besides, if you haven't learned already, there is always someone faster than you. The only place I ride with abandon is the race course.
    see, i agree with you. my original post wasn't posted to be liked, as much as i thought it was funny how it happened. funny being more ironic than anything else. the father's mad at me, because he was negligent. at least in my eyes. you may feel differently about whether or not he did anything wrong, and that's fine, i'm not trying to change anybody's mind. i was very drunk when i posted that, which is probably why its pretty much as understandable as anyone else's drunken ramblings. i'm fairly careful as a rider. like i said, i saw the dad ahead of me around the turn and braced to slow down while trying to calculate how fast he was going. in the middle of that thought i saw the kid on the ground. but trust me, when you're looking at the back of somebody's helmet, you're not thinking whats in front of you. had i seen him looking my direction, i may have been able to avoid the situation because i would have known he was stopped. but this guy didn't even know his son had fallen, which means he should be behind the kids in my eyes.

as for the overly excited mark... i just don't care about your opinion.

meow meow
    whats really funny is you claim an english degree yet misuse the word irony.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i mean ironic in the sense that the father is yelling at me about something that i view is his fault.

i·ron·ic/īˈränik/
    Adjective:

1) Using or characterized by irony.
    2) Happening in the opposite way to what is expected, thus typically causing wry amusement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Of course you like you, it is quite apparent. Most of the other users here however.
    LOL Think the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. Doesn't seem to be a problem for op thou.
    Round and round we go

Is this thing on?
    see, i agree with you. my original post wasn't posted to be liked, as much as i thought it was funny how it happened. funny being more ironic than anything else. the father's mad at me, because he was negligent. at least in my eyes. you may feel differently about whether or not he did anything wrong, and that's fine, i'm not trying to change anybody's mind. i was very drunk when i posted that, which is probably why its pretty much as understandable as anyone else's drunken ramblings. i'm fairly careful as a rider. like i said, i saw the dad ahead of me around the turn and braced to slow down while trying to calculate how fast he was going. in the middle of that thought i saw the kid on the ground. but trust me, when you're looking at the back of somebody's helmet, you're not thinking whats in front of you. had i seen him looking my direction, i may have been able to avoid the situation because i would have known he was stopped. but this guy didn't even know his son had fallen, which means he should be behind the kids in my eyes.

as for the overly excited mark... i just don't care about your opinion.

The posting while drunk excuse is weak because you are saying the same thing sober. The story is the same, but it is easier to follow when you're sober.

Name:  miss-the-point2.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  5.9 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thats all i wanted was for my story to be clarified. you can have an opinion, and we can agree or disagree. i'm cool with either. its the personal attacks that make people ignorant. but just so we're perfectly clear, i'm missing YOUR point. and you're missing mine. and i'm ok with that, we don't have to agree.

Pale Rider
    Perhaps you should start learning Mandarin Chinese..........the way you're digging you should be there soon. Just sayin'.
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2