Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    You earn them, they are not to be given.
    HA!

Pardon my ignorance when it comes to the red dot green dot thing on this forum.

Do people take this rep thing seriously?

Am I supposed to value advice from someone with a bunch of lil green dots more than someone with lil red dots?

-CrowSD

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Hey, AZ? Where's Nunya at?

It is half way between resume speed and road narrows.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowSD View Post
    HA!

Pardon my ignorance when it comes to the red dot green dot thing on this forum.

Do people take this rep thing seriously? From the level of butthurt that it brings you would think so

Am I supposed to value advice from someone with a bunch of lil green dots more than someone with lil red dots? I am the last person you should pay attention too.

-CrowSD
    Peace.

Big Boy
    How did I miss this thread?!?

lolz for all the internet tough guys..."If someone does something to harm my kid, I will do something to harm them!!"

So, someone does something dumb (accidentally), and you respond by doing something equally dumb (purposefully.)
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i have no idea what to do here.....trainwreck fer sure.

Godwin stepped in for a sec (the nazi thing).

Hucking Kitty was mentioned....but not seen.

still waiting for pancake on rabbit's head.

we need some dead toad and snake chilling with Barry Travolta.....and a stiff drink.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

we need some dead toad and snake chilling with Barry Travolta.....and a stiff drink.
    I love this place! And, it reminds me why I don't envy your (moderator) job...

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowSD View Post
    Do people take this rep thing seriously?
    HAHA, yeah, you are new here. Some people would give up their firstborn child for a green dot by their username.

In some cultures, I believe rep is used as currency.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    BWAAAHAHAHAHA, "First Born Child"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    HAHA, yeah, you are new here. Some people would give up their firstborn child for a green dot by their username.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    i'm not going to start a physical fight with somebody in the middle of the woods in front of their children when i could just as easily leave the situation, but i do carry a knife with me..... on the internet its really easy to make blind assumptions on how you would respond to something, but if this happened again with one of you nice folk, and one of you wanted to show me how you felt with your fists, there's a very good chance that you could end up just as hurt,
    You think you're bad? Huh? You think you're bad? Ok tough guy. I'd like to challenge you to an internet knife fight. We'll see who's the tough guy around here!

mtbr member
    Whoa there, bada$$es! Don't break out the caps lock just yet...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    i think i'm allowed to laugh at the situation since i didn't do anything wrong, and nobody got hurt, and the only person acting like a fool was the father. if everybody is just mad at my attitude, so be it. like i said, i was drunk when i posted that, but i honestly don't feel any different than i did when i wrote it, but i probably would have used better grammar while typing had i been sober.
    The only person that acted like a fool and keeps acting like a fool is you. Seriously.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is not amused

^^^^^^

Yip yip yip nope nope nope

beater
    Gotcha covered.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342754873.854934.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  51.0 KB
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Whoa there, bada$$es! Don't break out the caps lock just yet...
    i must spread the love first...
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member

Chum, your a first class guy and a good mod. I would + rep you again if I could.

This thread is a hoot.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    I think what we are seeing with this incident is just another example of selfishness, a lack of respect and empathy for other people, a disregard for other people's safety and our affect on others' safety. While recent events in Colorado are much much more severe, they seem to be a much more drastic example on a different level of similar concepts. A lack of respect and empathy for others.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post

LOL...

I actually enjoy the rep points. But I only use them for good, not evil. If i disagree I say it right in the thread. I'm an Italian from NJ. Anonymous is a 4 letter word.

you know what momma always said, if you don't have anything nice to say...go on the Internet.

- Rob

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    I think what we are seeing with this incident is just another example of selfishness, a lack of respect and empathy for others
    Wait, are you referring to "allegedly" bunny hopping a fallen toddler, or the fact that we are pushing this thread past 9 pages?

ps - whoever wrote the Babyheads comment is absolutely brilliant.

- Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    LOL...

I'm an Italian from NJ. Anonymous is a 4 letter word.
    Hahaha. There's no Italians from NJ. They're from Brooklyn. They either go from Brooklyn to Staten Island then NJ, or if they can afford it straight to NJ. No?
    Round and round we go

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Hahaha. There's no Italians from NJ. They're from Brooklyn. They either go from Brooklyn to Staten Island then NJ, or if they can afford it straight to NJ. No?
    LOL...you nailed it! Ha. my Grandparents came over on a boat, met, married & raised the family in Brooklyn, then moved to Middletown, NJ when my mom was about 13. So funny.

- Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    LOL...you nailed it! Ha. my Grandparents came over on a boat, met, married & raised the family in Brooklyn, then moved to Middletown, NJ when my mom was about 13. So funny.

- Rob
    Cool beans. I have family all over south and central NJ, as well as Staten Island. But I married Jewish so think I don't have to tell you I live on Long Island, LOL.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I am refering to the apparent disregard for the safety of the child. Clearly there is a lot which factors into events such as those we are seeing in Colorado, not the least of which is the desire to copy other similar events. However, in my opinion we are seeing a growing trend in that people increasingly could care less about other people and that leads to increasingly frequent bad behavior on different levels from road rage to trail rage. Its a lack of empathy that makes behavior such as we are seeing possible. It one thing to make mistake and get lucky to avoid hitting a kid. Its another not to learn from the role we played in the situation.

Ride More, Work Less
    Jolly good show. The highs, the lows, the puffing up, the pancake rabbit, ...

Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

On wuss patrol
    I am refering to the apparent disregard for the safety of the child. Clearly there is a lot which factors into events such as those we are seeing in Colorado, not the least of which is the desire to copy other similar events. However, in my opinion we are seeing a growing trend in that people increasingly could care less about other people and that leads to increasingly frequent bad behavior on different levels from road rage to trail rage. Its a lack of empathy that makes behavior such as we are seeing possible. It one thing to make mistake and get lucky to avoid hitting a kid. Its another not to learn from the role we played in the situation.
    Are you still talking about bunny hopping over kids lying on a trail?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Retired User
    Huckin Kitty explores some of the OP's gnarly singletrack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lol.. i jumped over a kid today-kid_fall_off_bike1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I chuckled a bit at this. MWAHAHAHA. Oh, and this was you 666 post by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post

High Desert MTBer
    I started to read this thread, but soon got bored... what a waste of effort! Kid was probably mine, I keep losing the damn things!
    It's all Here. Now.

meow meow
    hucking kitty FTW!

banned
    Name:  132613472.KrVPdCDb.bowing.gif
Views: 340
Size:  12.6 KB Name:  finished-sock-puppet-q8pkzz.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  2.1 KB

I wish I could +rep you. Gotta spread the love, first. I'll be coming back, though!

The GD Turtle is a nice reference.

lol.. i jumped over a kid today-kid_fall_off_bike1.jpg

mtbr member
    And he goes for the bonus points with the turtle. Nice job!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    lol so you're comparing a parent's lack of parental responsibility, to a theater shooting? its not lack of empathy that causes theater shootings, its crazy. there's a difference. if you are really comparing me to that... i didn't set out to start jumping over kids that day, i set out to go for a bike ride. filled some things with water, got a cooler together, put the bikes on the car, inflated a tire, oiled some chains, and rode... never intending to jump any kids. a parent, with apparently no care for his child until after the fact, positioned himself 20' away from his child, and let him lay down in a turn for an extended period of time, on a downhill single...

i didn't load any guns, make any bombs, acquire any tools necessary to kill people. there is no law that you must have empathy for others. it is not a right, nor is it something necessary. usually people misplace their empathy for the wrong reasons/situations/people based on stereotypes and misleading arguments. you're honestly one of the dumber people in this thread i think. but that's cool, i'll feel bad for you. there, empathy.

mtbr member
    You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em......
    Round and round we go

Suckin wind like a boss
    oh and i see HK is too cool to wear a skid lid while bunnyhopping fallen toddlers too...
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    I really don't expect you or many others to get it. What I'm saying is that a lack of empathy and respect for other people is reaching epidemic proportions in America. Combine a lack of respect for other people and a lack of empathy, which is increasingly common in America, with mental illness and it is not surprising we see random mass violence such as events in Colorado.

The increasing lack of empathy and respect for other people doesn't lead everyone toward mass violence. However, we see it manifested in other ways such as road rage and trail rage. To be honest I think you pulled a good maneuver in avoiding that kid. What I find very disappointing is your apparent unwillingness to consider how you could avoid such situations in the future and the role you played in endangering other trail users. To me, that is another example of a lack of respect and empathy, in this case for other trail users. Its one thing to make a mistake and see if we can improve how we behave. Its another to be closed to such learning. In my opinion if we are not open to learning in situations such as this, we are disregarding other people which means we aren't empathetic and we're not respecting others.

No one is perfect. I personally have almost run into a hiker. People make mistakes. I came away from that situation with a desire to adjust my behavior such that I was unlikely to endanger another trail user in the future and in my opinion it took empathy to open myself up to learning from the situation and it takes respect for other to be diligent in permanently adjusting my behavior.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I really don't expect you or many others to get it. What I'm saying is that a lack of empathy and respect for other people is reaching epidemic proportions in America. Combine a lack of respect for other people and a lack of empathy, which is increasingly common in America, with mental illness and it is not surprising we see random mass violence such as events in Colorado.
    I figure you do not travel much?

Americans are exceptionally friendly. I am absolutely serious - and I am an immigrant here who travels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i think that what would change your style of riding after almost hitting somebody else would be self preservation, not empathy. because not only could you hurt somebody, but you also would be hurt, and if you hurt yourself, you're less likely to be empathetic towards somebody else unless they are a great deal worse off than you afterwards, but that would also depend on how injured you were. empathy is a great concept, but it is not a driving force in social equality or any such form of social responsibility. empathy, like opinions, change. it changes based on stereotypes, it changes based on the economy, and everything else. i don't feel empathetic towards the father of the kid because i did nothing to him, and the only thing he should have felt (but didn't) was regret for not caring for his own child. instead, he took his anger out on me, a knife carrying sociopath, as you've all but called me, in an attempt to take blame away from himself. when he went home and told his wife what happened, i'm sure he left out the key details, such as the turn, and his distance from the child. thats just what happens. i fully admitted that i was going pretty fast, and i also fully admit that the only thing i took away from this specific situation is that more and more people are becoming dangerously lazy.

long story short, empathy is not the driving force in society crumbling. its america's ability to mask horrible actions with empathetic views. liberating iraq. that's empathy right? no, its just oil. obamacare. that's just taking care of the poor, and sick, right? no, it's just another way for the government to take control of our lives, and take rights away from citizens, and to hurt small businesses and everybody else. extending bush tax breaks? empathetic towards business owners, right? no, just a ploy to get reelected. that's why they were only extended for a year. not enough time for banks and businesses to gain trust in the market, but just enough time to pretend you care. empathy. fun word, wears many hats though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I figure you do not travel much?

Americans are exceptionally friendly. I am absolutely serious - and I am an immigrant here who travels.
    i completely agree. i grew in florida, lived in nc, boston, visited as far west as wy and alabama, and people are very very very nice, everywhere except ny. literally. and i just mean nyc/li. upstate ny they'll bake you a pie if they think you're hungry.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure friendliness or a lack of friendliness is the issue. Its when conflict occurs or when we decide how our behavior affects others, I think, that the lack of respect and empathy shows. To me there seems to be a growing portion of the US population that doesn't seem to consider how their actions affect others.

It seems to show in things little and large. For example the lady that insists on going to the express lane with a full cart of groceries or mountain bikers refusing to yield to up hill traffic on the trail as less severe examples. However, to me it seems most obvious when conflict occurs.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I'm not sure friendliness or a lack of friendliness is the issue. Its when conflict occurs or when we decide how our behavior affects others, I think, that the lack of respect and empathy shows. To me there seems to be a growing portion of the US population that doesn't seem to consider how their actions affect others.

It seems to show in things little and large. For example the lady that insists on going to the express lane with a full cart of groceries or mountain bikers refusing to yield to up hill traffic on the trail as less severe examples. However, to me it seems most obvious when conflict occurs.
    My point stands. Whatever is the trend and whether or not it exists - we are doing quite well on the respect and empathy front. Sky is not falling.

mtbr member
    i completely agree. i grew in florida, lived in nc, boston, visited as far west as wy and alabama, and people are very very very nice, everywhere except ny. literally. and i just mean nyc/li. upstate ny they'll bake you a pie if they think you're hungry.
    As a person who grew up in NYC, now living on LI, and has traveled the globe I can tell you New Yorkers are nice. In a city of millions you don't say hello to everyone, just the way we roll, but if you need help most New Yorkers will step up to the plate and try to offer some.

Man, you just don't know when to quit. Hope you enjoy the taste of your foot.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    i think that what would change your style of riding after almost hitting somebody else would be self preservation, not empathy. because not only could you hurt somebody, but you also would be hurt, and if you hurt yourself, you're less likely to be empathetic towards somebody else unless they are a great deal worse off than you afterwards, but that would also depend on how injured you were. empathy is a great concept, but it is not a driving force in social equality or any such form of social responsibility. empathy, like opinions, change. it changes based on stereotypes, it changes based on the economy, and everything else. i don't feel empathetic towards the father of the kid because i did nothing to him, and the only thing he should have felt (but didn't) was regret for not caring for his own child. instead, he took his anger out on me, a knife carrying sociopath, as you've all but called me, in an attempt to take blame away from himself. when he went home and told his wife what happened, i'm sure he left out the key details, such as the turn, and his distance from the child. thats just what happens. i fully admitted that i was going pretty fast, and i also fully admit that the only thing i took away from this specific situation is that more and more people are becoming dangerously lazy.

long story short, empathy is not the driving force in society crumbling. its america's ability to mask horrible actions with empathetic views. liberating iraq. that's empathy right? no, its just oil. obamacare. that's just taking care of the poor, and sick, right? no, it's just another way for the government to take control of our lives, and take rights away from citizens, and to hurt small businesses and everybody else. extending bush tax breaks? empathetic towards business owners, right? no, just a ploy to get reelected. that's why they were only extended for a year. not enough time for banks and businesses to gain trust in the market, but just enough time to pretend you care. empathy. fun word, wears many hats though.
    I hear what you're saying. I don't intend to call anyone a sociopath and perhaps empathy isn't the right word. Its a growing disregard for others that I see. The father in this scenario could be another example of this. How far would he be willing to take things? What violence would he be capable of? I guess I'm drawing parallels in terms of the degrees in how much we consider our affect on others. It seems like more folks are willing to take things further with more disregard for others as time goes by.

mtbr member
    I hear what you're saying. I don't intend to call anyone a sociopath and perhaps empathy isn't the right word. Its a growing disregard for others that I see. The father in this scenario could be another example of this. How far would he be willing to take things? What violence would he be capable of? I guess I'm drawing parallels in terms of the degrees in how much we consider our affect on others. It seems like more folks are willing to take things further with more disregard for others as time goes by.
    Can see your point but I don't agree. Think the only way people have changed is they're more afraid. I call it the cable news network effect.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

what decades are you comparing your loss of empathy to? because i'm almost certain that any decade you choose, there was an entire sex, or race, that there was no empathy felt for, in this country. because what, it was socially correct? if enough people did something bad, it wasn't considered bad? go back to the 80s, no empathy for gays, or blacks. because it was socially acceptable to not have empathy for them. lets take the 60s, women. no empathy for them. a woman got divorced and the entire block shunned her. it didn't matter that her husband beat and cheated on her. the 40s, empathy towards the japanese? oh no. the 10s, women couldn't even vote, and all social inequalities still stay. empathy in ameica? really? early 2000s, empathy for muslims? nope. not in this country. what you're saying is that the common white person somehow has to be nicer to each other, and that's really all that matters to you. history gets clouded. we are not a country of empathy. we are a country of religion, and we use that religion to dictate who deserves empathy. and the fact that always, no matter what time this country was in, no matter what decade, or century for that matter, there has always been a group of people who did not deserve empathy, according to social standard. and that my friend, is america. has it changed? no, we've just had to make rules against it, because we're predispositioned to not have empathy to begin with. we're so against it that we actually need laws to force it.

meow meow
    im afraid this thread has taken a turn for the worse. help us hucking kitty!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    if you knew the kid had been lying on the trail for a while as you say, then you should of been able to stop. You are ****ing idiot an each follow up comment reaffirms that fact.
    to the anonymous negative rep person... good job showing basic character by standing by your opinion with your name, if you read my posts, you would see that i assumed that the kid was on the ground for an extended period of time because of how far the father was in front of the kid, and how the father had at that point made no attempt to even get off his bike. hell, even after i left, the guy was still on his bike. who knows how long that kid was going to stay down in the turn like that.

mtbr member
    ...and that my friend, is america. has it changed? no, we've just had to make rules against it, because we're predispositioned to not have empathy to begin with. we're so against it that we actually need laws to force it.
    ...and that is sad. Why not be a part of the solution and not behave that way. We each could. Looking back at some of the stuff I've done in the first half of my life I'm disappointed in myself. No one's perfect, but if we can learn and adjust in a positive way, it doesn't matter what others are doing. On the trail, in my mind, that means learning from trail conflicts, accidents, or near accidents and adjusting such that they are less likely in the future.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    im afraid this thread has taken a turn for the worse. help us hucking kitty!
    This thread was doomed from the beginning.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been worse and received the mod-lock...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    This thread was doomed from the beginning.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been worse and received the mod-lock...

Time. Give it time to simmer.

Ride More, Work Less
    ^^^
    There are clearly some bubbles forming on the side of the pot from those posts above.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Retired User
    what decades are you comparing your loss of empathy to? because i'm almost certain that any decade you choose, there was an entire sex, or race, that there was no empathy felt for, in this country. because what, it was socially correct? if enough people did something bad, it wasn't considered bad? go back to the 80s, no empathy for gays, or blacks. because it was socially acceptable to not have empathy for them. lets take the 60s, women. no empathy for them. a woman got divorced and the entire block shunned her. it didn't matter that her husband beat and cheated on her. the 40s, empathy towards the japanese? oh no. the 10s, women couldn't even vote, and all social inequalities still stay. empathy in ameica? really? early 2000s, empathy for muslims? nope. not in this country. what you're saying is that the common white person somehow has to be nicer to each other, and that's really all that matters to you. history gets clouded. we are not a country of empathy. we are a country of religion, and we use that religion to dictate who deserves empathy. and the fact that always, no matter what time this country was in, no matter what decade, or century for that matter, there has always been a group of people who did not deserve empathy, according to social standard. and that my friend, is america. has it changed? no, we've just had to make rules against it, because we're predispositioned to not have empathy to begin with. we're so against it that we actually need laws to force it.
    The shift key is used for capitalizing letters. The enter key is used to create paragraphs.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast