Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Just my two cents, my 5 year old son would have never been in that position.

mtbr member
    Hopefully the OP can learn from this and perhaps the father of the child as well. Both parties are lucky something seriously bad didn't happen. The OP should seriously consider slowing down when visibility isn't ideal, letting slower riders in his group ride first, and having some empathy for other trail users if for no other reason then to avoid the financial liabilities which could arise from causing injury to someone. The father should consider better trail choice and making sure that his child clears the trail in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not sure the OP truly appreciates who bad this situation could have gotten. Both parties were very lucky. If it were me, I'd learn from the situation and go buy a lottery ticket.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post

I'm not sure the OP truly appreciates who bad this situation could have gotten.
    Really? Seems like all he's done is try to cover his a$$. I'm not sensing the least bit of contrition.

mtbr member
    OP your bad at school.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...

hahaha. op maybe if you are so gnar awesome extreme why dont you step it up a bit?

Pro Crastinator
    i don't know why there is all this *****ing, the OP is obviously lying anyway...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Were your riding a Jeep bike?

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...
    kinda what i was thinking.

here in the cleveland area we have a brand new beginner friendly mtb trail in the metroparks, that has taken many years to become reality. only been open for a month but there have been a lot of incidents of xc racer-types using this trail as their personal time trial practice course, while there are brand new trail riders making the rounds... as well as hikers galore (its multi-use, but designed as singletrack.) one good part is that there is limited undergrowth through 90% of the trail, so there arent many blind corners- a lot of open sightline here. still, there are those who ride it way too fast, and fail to heed the fact that the noobs on the trail dont have the skill nor forethought to look far enough ahead.

something bad is going to happen, and its going to reflect badly on the mtb community as a whole, despite many of our best efforts to see that it doesnt happen. the fact that a lot of cleveland metropark users (read: horse people and hikers) are adamantly opposed to sharing the woods with mtbers already has us on the radar, and someones kid getting plowed by speedy is going to really stir the hornets nest.

as a parent, i would be pissed if i saw someone riding as carelessly as the OP, and would have been hard pressed not to flip the fcuk out on him. at the same time, as a rider i think the OP pulled a lucky save out of his bag of tricks.

its real easy for everyone to armchair quarterback it, but until it happens you never know how youll react or what youd do. im not that good of a rider and i still blast the blind corners on the trails im familiar with, as im sure many of you do. i even take into account who else might be on the trail at any given time, but im not going to ride slow-mo in fear of whats around every corner. the burden of responsible trail use falls on everyone on the trail no matter their personal means of conveyance, be it bicycle, horseback, or on foot.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Wtf?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    To the OP -- You CLEARLY do not have children of your own. Trust me, I am 100% sure you escaped out of luck, not skill ... and I'm not referring to avoiding the collision. I'm referring to avoiding the dad. For whatever reason, he let it go. 9 times of 10 my bet would be no amount of speed would get you away from a major test of your 'skill' with punches and knees flying into your face from the significant majority of dads in the same situation. I don't know the reason why the dad wasn't blocking for his son (maybe one-direction trail so he didn't need worry about your approach from the front of his son?), but regardless, his error pales by a million times compared to your stupidity. Barreling down to find your gf? Judging from the fact that a child was on the same trail, low likelihood that her delay was because she could've been seriously injured or maybe attacked by a bear, so your reaction was overkill and almost had serious consequences. Getting dark? The kid was still on the trail. How old is your gf? More reasonable judgment would've delayed you at most 5-10 minutes from the sounds of things. Had that been my son, your season would be over at a minimum.
    Truth.

I am not sure what I would have done to a raging idiot barreling down on my 4yo, but I would have been risking jail time.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    ...hit up another trail to go the right direction to come up from behind her, which is where that kid was...
    so, now you're railing uphill turns and bunnyhopping people? c'mon dude, do we all seem that stupid?

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    The OP doesn't have a clue!

mtbr member
    cool story bro.

so the girlfriend...is she hawt?

pics or gtfo!

mtbr member
    Hahaha, can you imagine not clearing the kid and nailing the poor kid in the face.

I do agree that Trails that are KNOWN to have MTB Riders going down/up should be biked with caution...if the kid is the middle of the road it's hard to really say whose fault it really is. Just be happy no one got hurt and that you made yourself look like a badass.

It was a big risk. But it's possible that if you just tried to brake you would of ran into him anyways. Idk next time you should be careful. Should be a reminder for anyone.

I've had this experience before, there are many blind corners at the place I bike. It's a famous/popular place for really Fast/DH/All-Mountain Bikers and I would often yell to warn anyone that was around the blind corner. Still, many people are quite deaf and somewhat ignorant, despite me BEING LOUD and as I turn the corner I would literally see people look up dumb-founded like a deer in headlights, in the middle of the trail, as I would luckily swerve around them. Sometimes they would tell yell at me to slow down...the fact is, the trail is made for Bikers/Predominately Bikers (with warnings and such). Some people are just ignorant and deaf. Sometimes you can't do anything you have to take appropriate action. I just wish atleast people would stay on right side and not take up the whole trail like the Great Human Wall Of China.
    Easy Does It.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    my son at 2 years 6 months

when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.

Get this kid some gears!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The important question is did you say hello when you were hopping over him?
    I hate it when people pass me on the trail and don't say hello.

BTW, think about retitling the thread Babyhead Technique.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member

when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.
    That is awesome, you've got some great times to look forward to, must be proud. As a father of a 9yo let me tell ya, enjoy every minute, it goes too fast.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    You people need to just chill the heck out on the OP here, I mean, seriously! I was on the exact same trail today and bombed around a blind corner and guess what? Yup. That same stupid kid was there, lying in the trail. I bunny hopped him too. Then I banged the OP's girlfriend.

mtbr member
    Actually I had guessed you for about 14. At least try to learn something from this.

Jeep bike indeed.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    OP your bad at school.

you're*
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member

Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    You people need to just chill the heck out on the OP here, I mean, seriously! I was on the exact same trail today and bombed around a blind corner and guess what? Yup. That same stupid kid was there, lying in the trail. I bunny hopped him too. Then I banged the OP's girlfriend.
    ...and NOW we know why you didn't get there in time to save the snake and the toad.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    Training wheels are evil.

Once my kids could scoot around comfortably, a few days with that long loop handle that attaches to the rear axle (like "balance buddy") got them comfortable enough to ride on their own

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    x2 on the balance bike.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    That is why you start them on a scoot or stride bike -- to skip the training wheels.

BTW, pic of the OP. This thread is such a

"I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast