Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    The kid was drunk too.
    perhaps a healthy dose of bath salts too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    My dad actually did it really well with me. He put training wheels on my bike when i was little but made them too short. They still worked and stopped me from falling over but had like 2-3 in clearance when the bike was upright. They made this rattling noise when they were in use. He just told me not to make the rattling noise. I actually had no idea i was only on 2 wheels. by the time it came to take them off i had not been using them for weeks. Or at least that's what he tells me. I do remember some game about not making noise on my bike when i was little.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    every time the story is told, the holes in it keep getting bigger and more abundant...

i'm still confused. you went down the trail once and then went back to the top to go down again to look for her?
    or,
    you were originally going up and went back down to look for her?

(edit: nevermind, i don't care anyway)
    i was at the end of the trail, where there's a wide path. kind of the main section where small technical trails splinter off at various places. on the single track, there was a fork where one part was technical and one part led straight to that path. either way would have taken her back to that main path. i thought she was there. but i went down the technical backwards until i came to a hairpin, and didn't see her on there, so i went up that to go the correct direction, and down to the bottom where i encountered the kid, so that i could ride back up behind her in case she had gone down further to meet us at another wide path that is also kind of a main path. i just wanted to broaden my scope of looking for her to save time because the sun had already gone down, instead of risking going backwards and not finding her and having to continue backwards. i knew that the other main part that she could have ended up at was familiar to her so i thought she might have gone back down to end up there so that she could at least get out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Funny? not at all.

banned

trail addict
    Man, part of me is like, just let the poor thread die.

And the other part of me is like, wow this is really epic, clearly an early frontrunner for best thread of 2012.

Has anyone been called a nazi yet?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

meow meow
    a looming question is why were no cell phones involved? this is 2012 after all.

J:
    Shibuya!
    Dec 2009
    You didn't help little man up and tell how awesome is bike was

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    Man, part of me is like, just let the poor thread die.

And the other part of me is like, wow this is really epic, clearly an early frontrunner for best thread of 2012.

Has anyone been called a nazi yet?
    Interestingly enough, the grammar/spelling nazis have left this one alone so far. So far.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

"2 Wycked"
    I can throw a football a quarter mile.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Downfall meme: "Hitler reacts to a mountain biker jumping over his kid".... Someone may pick this up...there's only 5,800 of these meme's on youtube.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    This is why I use high volume tires. I roll over kids without even feeling a bump.
    Awful but totally awesome

mtbr member
    I call BS on this story, but if someone hit my son **** would hit the fan. Regardless of fault I'd probably be ready to fight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lol is your reaction to playing Russian Roulette with a kid's life? Seriously? If it would have been my son you would be spending the rest of your days drinking your meals out of a straw. And that's a fact.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    i was at the end of the trail blah blah blah blah blah... blah blah blah ....Hey is that a Bald Eagle? ....blah blah blah blah ....blah blah blah blah blah....at least get out.
    Fixed
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeNudem View Post
    Lol is your reaction to playing Russian Roulette with a kid's life? Seriously? If it would have been my son you would be spending the rest of your days drinking your meals out of a straw. And that's a fact.
    i was, or the father was for leaving the kid behind him, laying down on a turn? seriously.. you'd leave your kid laying like that on a downhill ss turn, more than 20' away from you for an extended period of time? i mean, yeah. that's a great dad. and i'm the a-hole? i'm not going to pretend i did anything wrong.. i'm glad it all turned out ok, but if you're going to take your kid out on a trail like that and just look at him when he falls, please drag him away from the turn if you really want him to lay there indefinitely.

mtbr member
    You had your girl friend, arguably a slower less experienced rider behind you. You didn't even wait for her at the different trail intersections. After all this feed back you're still blameless in your mind? Unfortunately its riders like you who get riders like us banned from trails and get trails closed to the rest of us. That's the simple reality of the situation. If you really are 30 years old...man your attitude and judgement needs some real work.

banned
    you'd leave your kid laying like that on a downhill ss turn, more than 20' away from you for an extended period of time?
    Since you seem to know how long the kid was laying there, please share it with us.

Was he laying there long enough for you to come barreling around the corner and jump over him? Um, how long did that take?

mtbr member
    That may or may not be true but it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on your behavior and is therefore completely irrelevant.

What you did was wrong and your attitude toward the entire incident is completely assinine. Until you get that there's really nothing to be gained from discussing any of the rest of this.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

Suckin wind like a boss
    as for it being an easy trail, or me going too fast... its not easy, and i was going fast. everybody who's bashing me, you ride slow? how slow? 7mph? 4mph? all the time, you ride your brakes downhill? why do you even have a mountain bike at that point, you might as well get a hybrid if you're going to ride that slow.
    ^this right here, gets you

some of this. moron.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Be careful on the trails.
    You could have hurt the kid.
    You could have hurt yourself.
    The kid's Dad could/should have hurt you.
    You unattended GF could have gotten hurt by a renegade rider like you, or romanced by a sensitive rider like me

Good thread, thanks especially to CHUM and others posting about how to teach the kids to ride. Looking forward to doing that !

"2 Wycked"
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    or romanced by a sensitive rider like me
    Hahaha,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMP0323 View Post
    If that was one of my children it would have gotten ugly. Its all fun and games until you have seriously injured a child. Poor judgement indeed.

All of you trail side tufguy/poppa bear types making threats of physical violence need to simmer down.

Remember the old saying.... two wrongs do not make a right.

TufGuy food for thought:

I witnessed a situation similar to this play out in a very ugly way:

It happened at Hollister Hills SVRA (I am sure you CA moto-x know the place). For those unfamiliar, Hollister Hills is a network of trails maintined specifically for off road use. Riders of all skill levels share these trails and problems arise... like this one.

I was sitting at my truck and watched this whole thing go down right next to where I was parked.

Rider A comes back to his truck, parks his bike, and chills with some cool H2O. Poppa Bear/Tuff Guy comes flying up the road (way above speed limits) with a kid in tow and rides straight into rider A's area and proceeds to start yelling/cussing at rider A claiming that rider A nearly killed his son on a trail. Rider A said sorry and suggested that perhaps the son would be better off in a beginner area until he got faster.

Poppa Bear hears this and goes off on the guy. Saying that he will show rider A who is a "real man". Poppa Bear rips his helmet off and pushes rider A.... rider A throws a 1-2 combo and drops poppa bear right there... KTFO.

So now poppa bear is out cold on the ground, his kid is freaked out and crying, and rider A is pissed. Luckily for poppa bear, rider A left him alone after dropping him and a nice lady came over and took the scared kid away. I threw cold water on poppa bear... he came to... asked what happened and rode off (leaving his kid). After that rangers were called and things were settled. Poppa Bear was removed from the park. Rider A enjoyed the rest of his day.

Oh yeah... Poppa Bear was a big dude... 6 foot plus and rider A was not so big, probably 6 inches shorter and way thinner.

I am not defending the OP in anyway, just trying to send a word of caution to all of you trail side tough guys that there is always someone tougher than you on the trail.

-CrowSD

mtbr member
    COOL STORY BRO

You mention threats of physical violence, and quote me. Funny, I never mentioned physically harming anyone.

Again, COOL STORY BRO

Quote Originally Posted by CrowSD View Post

All of you trail side tufguy/poppa bear types making threats of physical violence need to simmer down.

Remember the old saying.... two wrongs do not make a right.

TufGuy food for thought:

I witnessed a situation similar to this play out in a very ugly way:

It happened at Hollister Hills SVRA (I am sure you CA moto-x know the place). For those unfamiliar, Hollister Hills is a network of trails maintined specifically for off road use. Riders of all skill levels share these trails and problems arise... like this one.

I was sitting at my truck and watched this whole thing go down right next to where I was parked.

Rider A comes back to his truck, parks his bike, and chills with some cool H2O. Poppa Bear/Tuff Guy comes flying up the road (way above speed limits) with a kid in tow and rides straight into rider A's area and proceeds to start yelling/cussing at rider A claiming that rider A nearly killed his son on a trail. Rider A said sorry and suggested that perhaps the son would be better off in a beginner area until he got faster.

Poppa Bear hears this and goes off on the guy. Saying that he will show rider A who is a "real man". Poppa Bear rips his helmet off and pushes rider A.... rider A throws a 1-2 combo and drops poppa bear right there... KTFO.

So now poppa bear is out cold on the ground, his kid is freaked out and crying, and rider A is pissed. Luckily for poppa bear, rider A left him alone after dropping him and a nice lady came over and took the scared kid away. I threw cold water on poppa bear... he came to... asked what happened and rode off (leaving his kid). After that rangers were called and things were settled. Poppa Bear was removed from the park. Rider A enjoyed the rest of his day.

Oh yeah... Poppa Bear was a big dude... 6 foot plus and rider A was not so big, probably 6 inches shorter and way thinner.

I am not defending the OP in anyway, just trying to send a word of caution to all of you trail side tough guys that there is always someone tougher than you on the trail.

-CrowSD

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Can we get a popcorn machine in here?

mtbr member
    COOL STORY BRO

You mention threats of physical violence, and quote me. Funny, I never mentioned physically harming anyone.

Again, COOL STORY BRO
    You can chose to believe my story or not.... YOUR CHOICE BRO

If what you said did not imply physical violence then please tell me what you were hinting at when you said "things would have gotten ugly" ? A break dance fight????

You are right, you are not the only person in this thread saying similar things... alas, I chose to quote you. So what.

mtbr member
    I do consider yelling, or getting into a very heated argument with someone in front of a child "ugly". To a child that can be very traumatic in itself.

Although a break dance fight might be something worth watching.

You can chose to believe my story or not.... YOUR CHOICE BRO

If what you said did not imply physical violence then please tell me what you were hinting at when you said "things would have gotten ugly" ? A break dance fight????

You are right, you are not the only person in this thread saying similar things... alas, I chose to quote you. So what.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    skid into the kid and break his ribs, run myself into a tree and turn my bike into a flying piece of metal aimed straight at the kid, with myself as well, jump him. seriously? you people would have me do something else? is there a 4th option in that split second that i didn't consider?

oh, yeah.. i could have been going slower. so that's the answer? i go back in time at that split second now that i know the kid is there, and go slower. how much slower though. again, should i ride my brakes downhill on a one way single? how slow do you go on familiar trails?

should a father leave his kid in a turn, on said downhill single, and stand over 20' away in front of him? someone said here at some point that my gf was slower than us so she should be in the front. that's the general rule? but it doesn't apply to kids i suppose? leaving them laying around all over the place is appropriate. i say that he was making no attempt to pick the kid up because he was still on his bike while the kid was obviously down. for him to get in my face, **** that. i'm not going to start a physical fight with somebody in the middle of the woods in front of their children when i could just as easily leave the situation, but i do carry a knife with me. you never know what kind of fight you're going to start, or with who... on the internet its really easy to make blind assumptions on how you would respond to something, but if this happened again with one of you nice folk, and one of you wanted to show me how you felt with your fists, there's a very good chance that you could end up just as hurt, if not worse than what you think you could do to me from over there at your computer. one thing i know about fights is that generally, unless you're bruce lee or some ****, both of you are going to end up on the ground, and pretty hurt when its over. but if its going to just be idle threats, and people assuming, well... that's just a bunch of ignorance. which i guess is what the internet has turned into. which is cool, its to be expected, that is the general public, but it's also kind of sad.

"2 Wycked"
    Like this?

mtbr member
    ^ exactly, blue steel and all, even better.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Westcoasthucker is right. Nothing about this makes any sense. But who cares, I'm here for the jokes. Freakin hilarious.

- Rob

mtbr member
    lulz

I love this place.

mtbr member
    I do consider yelling, or getting into a very heated argument with someone in front of a child "ugly". To a child that can be very traumatic in itself.

I am somewhat skeptical that "yelling, or getting into a very heated argument" is what you were really hinting at. That being said.... it doesn't really matter to me either way. You seem to be a decent enough person, so I will chose to believe you when you say that is what you meant. Too bad you do not extend the benefit of doubt to me and my "COOL STORY".

I just wanted to share a story that I felt MAY provide perspective to some posters in this thread.

-CrowSD

mtbr member
    You ain't getting it and you won't get it. For the benefit of any other would be Evil Knievel's following along, the fourth option is to slow down in areas where you cannot see far enough ahead of you such that a surprise could be very dangerous. The right thing to do would be to learn from this situation and implement option four in the future.

mtbr member
    Take no offense to my "COOL STORY BRO". I tell my wife the same thing.
    I really need to unsubscribe from this thread. Its blowing up my inbox.

I am somewhat skeptical that "yelling, or getting into a very heated argument" is what you were really hinting at. That being said.... it doesn't really matter to me either way. You seem to be a decent enough person, so I will chose to believe you when you say that is what you meant. Too bad you do not extend the benefit of doubt to me and my "COOL STORY".

I just wanted to share a story that I felt MAY provide perspective to some posters in this thread.

-CrowSD

mtbr member
    I took no offense to the "cool story bro" part.... it was the caps and quotes that really ground my gears....

-CrowSD

All joking/sarcasm aside.... I took no offense to what you said.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    could anyone pls tell me how to unsubscribe from this thread?

mtbr member
    I unsubscribe from the e-mails I get, and I am about to do it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    could anyone pls tell me how to unsubscribe from this thread?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    go to your account, upper left hand corner... go to subscribed threads, click unsubscribe.

meow meow
    op consider for a second that was a moma bear with her cubs instead of a kid. you would have been screwed. get it now?

mtbr member
    Ouch.... one day of posting and some one gave me a lil red square.

Me thinks one of the poppa bears did not like my story.

How does one give lil red squares to people?

-CrowSD
    Last edited by CrowSD; 07-19-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added a question

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    not really.. i don't think we have bears in long island. a few deer, foxes, moles, voles, a ton of rabbits... never seen a bear. there's no real animal threat here, just people. lol i even googled it.. cha cha agrees

Are there bears on long island, new york? | ChaCha

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    skid into the kid and break his ribs, run myself into a tree and turn my bike into a flying piece of metal aimed straight at the kid, with myself as well, jump him. seriously? you people would have me do something else? is there a 4th option in that split second that i didn't consider?
    Come on, man. You have to know that it's not just the fact that you were going fast that set everyone off. I'm usually pretty conservative about blind corners, but I can definitely see myself getting into a situation like that where I can't stop. I can also see myself coming away from it thinking, "Holy crap, I almost hurt a 5-yr-old pretty bad" regardless of who was right or wrong.

I can't imagine my thoughts starting with "lol" and ending with "haha anyways i thought it was kinda cool cause i totally thought i was gonna run the little bastard over."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

-CrowSD
    lol... on the left hand side under the user name. there's different icons for how you feel. apparently they felt red about me the other day. its pretty funny though because its anonymous and people use it to send threats/insults. its like a dislike button on facebook. but they never sign their names, its so internet its retro-internet.

i think i'm allowed to laugh at the situation since i didn't do anything wrong, and nobody got hurt, and the only person acting like a fool was the father. if everybody is just mad at my attitude, so be it. like i said, i was drunk when i posted that, but i honestly don't feel any different than i did when i wrote it, but i probably would have used better grammar while typing had i been sober.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Ouch... How does one give lil red squares to people?
    Lower left hand corner of post, click on the thumbs up, decide whether you approve (green) or disapprove (red),.
    Fill in the comment field, and then the big decision.. To sign your name, or to remain anonymous.
    People appreciate green chicklets, and will likely retaliate if given an undeserved red.
    Far better to debate & disagree on the forum thread than to leave unsigned (-) rep, and be be another ball-less sac of shiite.
    Note: One must have some rep power, if not, it'll appear as grey.
    (gif examples courtesy of Hutch & Marpilli)
    Green:

Red:

mtbr member
    lol... on the left hand side under the user name. there's different icons for how you feel. apparently they felt red about me the other day. its pretty funny though because its anonymous and people use it to send threats/insults. its like a dislike button on facebook. but they never sign their names, its so internet its retro-internet.

i think i'm allowed to laugh at the situation since i didn't do anything wrong, and nobody got hurt, and the only person acting like a fool was the father. if everybody is just mad at my attitude, so be it. like i said, i was drunk when i posted that, but i honestly don't feel any different than i did when i wrote it, but i probably would have used better grammar while typing had i been sober.
    Gracias.

One green square for your patient response to the forum new guy.

And red squares for.... well we shall see.

-CrowSD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Far better to debate & disagree on the forum thread than to leave unsigned (-) rep, and be be another ball-less sac of shiite. ]
    Agreed.

If I red dot someone I will sign it.

So who is the "ball-less sac of shiite" that dinged me without signing??

meow meow
    not really.. i don't think we have bears in long island. a few deer, foxes, moles, voles, a ton of rabbits... never seen a bear. there's no real animal threat here, just people. lol i even googled it.. cha cha agrees

Are there bears on long island, new york? | ChaCha

(facepalm)

AZ
    banned

-CrowSD

You earn them, they are not to be given.

mtbr member
    Hey, AZ? Where's Nunya at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    You earn them, they are not to be given.
    HA!

Pardon my ignorance when it comes to the red dot green dot thing on this forum.

Do people take this rep thing seriously?

Am I supposed to value advice from someone with a bunch of lil green dots more than someone with lil red dots?

-CrowSD

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Hey, AZ? Where's Nunya at?

It is half way between resume speed and road narrows.

AZ
    banned
    HA!

Pardon my ignorance when it comes to the red dot green dot thing on this forum.

Do people take this rep thing seriously? From the level of butthurt that it brings you would think so

Am I supposed to value advice from someone with a bunch of lil green dots more than someone with lil red dots? I am the last person you should pay attention too.

-CrowSD
    Peace.

Big Boy
    How did I miss this thread?!?

lolz for all the internet tough guys..."If someone does something to harm my kid, I will do something to harm them!!"

So, someone does something dumb (accidentally), and you respond by doing something equally dumb (purposefully.)
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i have no idea what to do here.....trainwreck fer sure.

Godwin stepped in for a sec (the nazi thing).

Hucking Kitty was mentioned....but not seen.

still waiting for pancake on rabbit's head.

we need some dead toad and snake chilling with Barry Travolta.....and a stiff drink.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

we need some dead toad and snake chilling with Barry Travolta.....and a stiff drink.
    I love this place! And, it reminds me why I don't envy your (moderator) job...

trail addict
    Do people take this rep thing seriously?
    HAHA, yeah, you are new here. Some people would give up their firstborn child for a green dot by their username.

In some cultures, I believe rep is used as currency.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    BWAAAHAHAHAHA, "First Born Child"

HAHA, yeah, you are new here. Some people would give up their firstborn child for a green dot by their username.

mtbr member
    i'm not going to start a physical fight with somebody in the middle of the woods in front of their children when i could just as easily leave the situation, but i do carry a knife with me..... on the internet its really easy to make blind assumptions on how you would respond to something, but if this happened again with one of you nice folk, and one of you wanted to show me how you felt with your fists, there's a very good chance that you could end up just as hurt,
    You think you're bad? Huh? You think you're bad? Ok tough guy. I'd like to challenge you to an internet knife fight. We'll see who's the tough guy around here!

mtbr member
    Whoa there, bada$$es! Don't break out the caps lock just yet...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    The only person that acted like a fool and keeps acting like a fool is you. Seriously.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is not amused

^^^^^^

Yip yip yip nope nope nope

beater
    Gotcha covered.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342754873.854934.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  51.0 KB

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Whoa there, bada$$es! Don't break out the caps lock just yet...
    i must spread the love first...

mtbr member

Chum, your a first class guy and a good mod. I would + rep you again if I could.

This thread is a hoot.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    I think what we are seeing with this incident is just another example of selfishness, a lack of respect and empathy for other people, a disregard for other people's safety and our affect on others' safety. While recent events in Colorado are much much more severe, they seem to be a much more drastic example on a different level of similar concepts. A lack of respect and empathy for others.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

LOL...

I actually enjoy the rep points. But I only use them for good, not evil. If i disagree I say it right in the thread. I'm an Italian from NJ. Anonymous is a 4 letter word.

you know what momma always said, if you don't have anything nice to say...go on the Internet.

- Rob

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    I think what we are seeing with this incident is just another example of selfishness, a lack of respect and empathy for others
    Wait, are you referring to "allegedly" bunny hopping a fallen toddler, or the fact that we are pushing this thread past 9 pages?

ps - whoever wrote the Babyheads comment is absolutely brilliant.

- Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    LOL...

I'm an Italian from NJ. Anonymous is a 4 letter word.
    Hahaha. There's no Italians from NJ. They're from Brooklyn. They either go from Brooklyn to Staten Island then NJ, or if they can afford it straight to NJ. No?
    Round and round we go

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Hahaha. There's no Italians from NJ. They're from Brooklyn. They either go from Brooklyn to Staten Island then NJ, or if they can afford it straight to NJ. No?
    LOL...you nailed it! Ha. my Grandparents came over on a boat, met, married & raised the family in Brooklyn, then moved to Middletown, NJ when my mom was about 13. So funny.

- Rob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    LOL...you nailed it! Ha. my Grandparents came over on a boat, met, married & raised the family in Brooklyn, then moved to Middletown, NJ when my mom was about 13. So funny.

- Rob
    Cool beans. I have family all over south and central NJ, as well as Staten Island. But I married Jewish so think I don't have to tell you I live on Long Island, LOL.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    I am refering to the apparent disregard for the safety of the child. Clearly there is a lot which factors into events such as those we are seeing in Colorado, not the least of which is the desire to copy other similar events. However, in my opinion we are seeing a growing trend in that people increasingly could care less about other people and that leads to increasingly frequent bad behavior on different levels from road rage to trail rage. Its a lack of empathy that makes behavior such as we are seeing possible. It one thing to make mistake and get lucky to avoid hitting a kid. Its another not to learn from the role we played in the situation.

Ride More, Work Less
    Jolly good show. The highs, the lows, the puffing up, the pancake rabbit, ...

Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

On wuss patrol
    I am refering to the apparent disregard for the safety of the child. Clearly there is a lot which factors into events such as those we are seeing in Colorado, not the least of which is the desire to copy other similar events. However, in my opinion we are seeing a growing trend in that people increasingly could care less about other people and that leads to increasingly frequent bad behavior on different levels from road rage to trail rage. Its a lack of empathy that makes behavior such as we are seeing possible. It one thing to make mistake and get lucky to avoid hitting a kid. Its another not to learn from the role we played in the situation.
    Are you still talking about bunny hopping over kids lying on a trail?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Retired User
    Huckin Kitty explores some of the OP's gnarly singletrack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lol.. i jumped over a kid today-kid_fall_off_bike1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I chuckled a bit at this. MWAHAHAHA. Oh, and this was you 666 post by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post

High Desert MTBer
    I started to read this thread, but soon got bored... what a waste of effort! Kid was probably mine, I keep losing the damn things!
    It's all Here. Now.

meow meow
    hucking kitty FTW!

banned
    Name:  132613472.KrVPdCDb.bowing.gif
Views: 348
Size:  12.6 KB Name:  finished-sock-puppet-q8pkzz.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  2.1 KB

I wish I could +rep you. Gotta spread the love, first. I'll be coming back, though!

The GD Turtle is a nice reference.

lol.. i jumped over a kid today-kid_fall_off_bike1.jpg

mtbr member
    And he goes for the bonus points with the turtle. Nice job!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    lol so you're comparing a parent's lack of parental responsibility, to a theater shooting? its not lack of empathy that causes theater shootings, its crazy. there's a difference. if you are really comparing me to that... i didn't set out to start jumping over kids that day, i set out to go for a bike ride. filled some things with water, got a cooler together, put the bikes on the car, inflated a tire, oiled some chains, and rode... never intending to jump any kids. a parent, with apparently no care for his child until after the fact, positioned himself 20' away from his child, and let him lay down in a turn for an extended period of time, on a downhill single...

i didn't load any guns, make any bombs, acquire any tools necessary to kill people. there is no law that you must have empathy for others. it is not a right, nor is it something necessary. usually people misplace their empathy for the wrong reasons/situations/people based on stereotypes and misleading arguments. you're honestly one of the dumber people in this thread i think. but that's cool, i'll feel bad for you. there, empathy.

mtbr member
    You gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em......
    Round and round we go

Suckin wind like a boss
    oh and i see HK is too cool to wear a skid lid while bunnyhopping fallen toddlers too...

mtbr member
    I really don't expect you or many others to get it. What I'm saying is that a lack of empathy and respect for other people is reaching epidemic proportions in America. Combine a lack of respect for other people and a lack of empathy, which is increasingly common in America, with mental illness and it is not surprising we see random mass violence such as events in Colorado.

The increasing lack of empathy and respect for other people doesn't lead everyone toward mass violence. However, we see it manifested in other ways such as road rage and trail rage. To be honest I think you pulled a good maneuver in avoiding that kid. What I find very disappointing is your apparent unwillingness to consider how you could avoid such situations in the future and the role you played in endangering other trail users. To me, that is another example of a lack of respect and empathy, in this case for other trail users. Its one thing to make a mistake and see if we can improve how we behave. Its another to be closed to such learning. In my opinion if we are not open to learning in situations such as this, we are disregarding other people which means we aren't empathetic and we're not respecting others.

No one is perfect. I personally have almost run into a hiker. People make mistakes. I came away from that situation with a desire to adjust my behavior such that I was unlikely to endanger another trail user in the future and in my opinion it took empathy to open myself up to learning from the situation and it takes respect for other to be diligent in permanently adjusting my behavior.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I really don't expect you or many others to get it. What I'm saying is that a lack of empathy and respect for other people is reaching epidemic proportions in America. Combine a lack of respect for other people and a lack of empathy, which is increasingly common in America, with mental illness and it is not surprising we see random mass violence such as events in Colorado.
    I figure you do not travel much?

Americans are exceptionally friendly. I am absolutely serious - and I am an immigrant here who travels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i think that what would change your style of riding after almost hitting somebody else would be self preservation, not empathy. because not only could you hurt somebody, but you also would be hurt, and if you hurt yourself, you're less likely to be empathetic towards somebody else unless they are a great deal worse off than you afterwards, but that would also depend on how injured you were. empathy is a great concept, but it is not a driving force in social equality or any such form of social responsibility. empathy, like opinions, change. it changes based on stereotypes, it changes based on the economy, and everything else. i don't feel empathetic towards the father of the kid because i did nothing to him, and the only thing he should have felt (but didn't) was regret for not caring for his own child. instead, he took his anger out on me, a knife carrying sociopath, as you've all but called me, in an attempt to take blame away from himself. when he went home and told his wife what happened, i'm sure he left out the key details, such as the turn, and his distance from the child. thats just what happens. i fully admitted that i was going pretty fast, and i also fully admit that the only thing i took away from this specific situation is that more and more people are becoming dangerously lazy.

long story short, empathy is not the driving force in society crumbling. its america's ability to mask horrible actions with empathetic views. liberating iraq. that's empathy right? no, its just oil. obamacare. that's just taking care of the poor, and sick, right? no, it's just another way for the government to take control of our lives, and take rights away from citizens, and to hurt small businesses and everybody else. extending bush tax breaks? empathetic towards business owners, right? no, just a ploy to get reelected. that's why they were only extended for a year. not enough time for banks and businesses to gain trust in the market, but just enough time to pretend you care. empathy. fun word, wears many hats though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    I figure you do not travel much?

Americans are exceptionally friendly. I am absolutely serious - and I am an immigrant here who travels.
    i completely agree. i grew in florida, lived in nc, boston, visited as far west as wy and alabama, and people are very very very nice, everywhere except ny. literally. and i just mean nyc/li. upstate ny they'll bake you a pie if they think you're hungry.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure friendliness or a lack of friendliness is the issue. Its when conflict occurs or when we decide how our behavior affects others, I think, that the lack of respect and empathy shows. To me there seems to be a growing portion of the US population that doesn't seem to consider how their actions affect others.

It seems to show in things little and large. For example the lady that insists on going to the express lane with a full cart of groceries or mountain bikers refusing to yield to up hill traffic on the trail as less severe examples. However, to me it seems most obvious when conflict occurs.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I'm not sure friendliness or a lack of friendliness is the issue. Its when conflict occurs or when we decide how our behavior affects others, I think, that the lack of respect and empathy shows. To me there seems to be a growing portion of the US population that doesn't seem to consider how their actions affect others.

It seems to show in things little and large. For example the lady that insists on going to the express lane with a full cart of groceries or mountain bikers refusing to yield to up hill traffic on the trail as less severe examples. However, to me it seems most obvious when conflict occurs.
    My point stands. Whatever is the trend and whether or not it exists - we are doing quite well on the respect and empathy front. Sky is not falling.

mtbr member
    i completely agree. i grew in florida, lived in nc, boston, visited as far west as wy and alabama, and people are very very very nice, everywhere except ny. literally. and i just mean nyc/li. upstate ny they'll bake you a pie if they think you're hungry.
    As a person who grew up in NYC, now living on LI, and has traveled the globe I can tell you New Yorkers are nice. In a city of millions you don't say hello to everyone, just the way we roll, but if you need help most New Yorkers will step up to the plate and try to offer some.

Man, you just don't know when to quit. Hope you enjoy the taste of your foot.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    i think that what would change your style of riding after almost hitting somebody else would be self preservation, not empathy. because not only could you hurt somebody, but you also would be hurt, and if you hurt yourself, you're less likely to be empathetic towards somebody else unless they are a great deal worse off than you afterwards, but that would also depend on how injured you were. empathy is a great concept, but it is not a driving force in social equality or any such form of social responsibility. empathy, like opinions, change. it changes based on stereotypes, it changes based on the economy, and everything else. i don't feel empathetic towards the father of the kid because i did nothing to him, and the only thing he should have felt (but didn't) was regret for not caring for his own child. instead, he took his anger out on me, a knife carrying sociopath, as you've all but called me, in an attempt to take blame away from himself. when he went home and told his wife what happened, i'm sure he left out the key details, such as the turn, and his distance from the child. thats just what happens. i fully admitted that i was going pretty fast, and i also fully admit that the only thing i took away from this specific situation is that more and more people are becoming dangerously lazy.

long story short, empathy is not the driving force in society crumbling. its america's ability to mask horrible actions with empathetic views. liberating iraq. that's empathy right? no, its just oil. obamacare. that's just taking care of the poor, and sick, right? no, it's just another way for the government to take control of our lives, and take rights away from citizens, and to hurt small businesses and everybody else. extending bush tax breaks? empathetic towards business owners, right? no, just a ploy to get reelected. that's why they were only extended for a year. not enough time for banks and businesses to gain trust in the market, but just enough time to pretend you care. empathy. fun word, wears many hats though.
    I hear what you're saying. I don't intend to call anyone a sociopath and perhaps empathy isn't the right word. Its a growing disregard for others that I see. The father in this scenario could be another example of this. How far would he be willing to take things? What violence would he be capable of? I guess I'm drawing parallels in terms of the degrees in how much we consider our affect on others. It seems like more folks are willing to take things further with more disregard for others as time goes by.

mtbr member
    I hear what you're saying. I don't intend to call anyone a sociopath and perhaps empathy isn't the right word. Its a growing disregard for others that I see. The father in this scenario could be another example of this. How far would he be willing to take things? What violence would he be capable of? I guess I'm drawing parallels in terms of the degrees in how much we consider our affect on others. It seems like more folks are willing to take things further with more disregard for others as time goes by.
    Can see your point but I don't agree. Think the only way people have changed is they're more afraid. I call it the cable news network effect.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

what decades are you comparing your loss of empathy to? because i'm almost certain that any decade you choose, there was an entire sex, or race, that there was no empathy felt for, in this country. because what, it was socially correct? if enough people did something bad, it wasn't considered bad? go back to the 80s, no empathy for gays, or blacks. because it was socially acceptable to not have empathy for them. lets take the 60s, women. no empathy for them. a woman got divorced and the entire block shunned her. it didn't matter that her husband beat and cheated on her. the 40s, empathy towards the japanese? oh no. the 10s, women couldn't even vote, and all social inequalities still stay. empathy in ameica? really? early 2000s, empathy for muslims? nope. not in this country. what you're saying is that the common white person somehow has to be nicer to each other, and that's really all that matters to you. history gets clouded. we are not a country of empathy. we are a country of religion, and we use that religion to dictate who deserves empathy. and the fact that always, no matter what time this country was in, no matter what decade, or century for that matter, there has always been a group of people who did not deserve empathy, according to social standard. and that my friend, is america. has it changed? no, we've just had to make rules against it, because we're predispositioned to not have empathy to begin with. we're so against it that we actually need laws to force it.

meow meow
    im afraid this thread has taken a turn for the worse. help us hucking kitty!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    if you knew the kid had been lying on the trail for a while as you say, then you should of been able to stop. You are ****ing idiot an each follow up comment reaffirms that fact.
    to the anonymous negative rep person... good job showing basic character by standing by your opinion with your name, if you read my posts, you would see that i assumed that the kid was on the ground for an extended period of time because of how far the father was in front of the kid, and how the father had at that point made no attempt to even get off his bike. hell, even after i left, the guy was still on his bike. who knows how long that kid was going to stay down in the turn like that.

mtbr member
    ...and that my friend, is america. has it changed? no, we've just had to make rules against it, because we're predispositioned to not have empathy to begin with. we're so against it that we actually need laws to force it.
    ...and that is sad. Why not be a part of the solution and not behave that way. We each could. Looking back at some of the stuff I've done in the first half of my life I'm disappointed in myself. No one's perfect, but if we can learn and adjust in a positive way, it doesn't matter what others are doing. On the trail, in my mind, that means learning from trail conflicts, accidents, or near accidents and adjusting such that they are less likely in the future.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    im afraid this thread has taken a turn for the worse. help us hucking kitty!
    This thread was doomed from the beginning.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been worse and received the mod-lock...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    This thread was doomed from the beginning.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been worse and received the mod-lock...

Time. Give it time to simmer.

Ride More, Work Less
    ^^^
    There are clearly some bubbles forming on the side of the pot from those posts above.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Retired User
    what decades are you comparing your loss of empathy to? because i'm almost certain that any decade you choose, there was an entire sex, or race, that there was no empathy felt for, in this country. because what, it was socially correct? if enough people did something bad, it wasn't considered bad? go back to the 80s, no empathy for gays, or blacks. because it was socially acceptable to not have empathy for them. lets take the 60s, women. no empathy for them. a woman got divorced and the entire block shunned her. it didn't matter that her husband beat and cheated on her. the 40s, empathy towards the japanese? oh no. the 10s, women couldn't even vote, and all social inequalities still stay. empathy in ameica? really? early 2000s, empathy for muslims? nope. not in this country. what you're saying is that the common white person somehow has to be nicer to each other, and that's really all that matters to you. history gets clouded. we are not a country of empathy. we are a country of religion, and we use that religion to dictate who deserves empathy. and the fact that always, no matter what time this country was in, no matter what decade, or century for that matter, there has always been a group of people who did not deserve empathy, according to social standard. and that my friend, is america. has it changed? no, we've just had to make rules against it, because we're predispositioned to not have empathy to begin with. we're so against it that we actually need laws to force it.
    The shift key is used for capitalizing letters. The enter key is used to create paragraphs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7