Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Just my two cents, my 5 year old son would have never been in that position.

mtbr member
    Hopefully the OP can learn from this and perhaps the father of the child as well. Both parties are lucky something seriously bad didn't happen. The OP should seriously consider slowing down when visibility isn't ideal, letting slower riders in his group ride first, and having some empathy for other trail users if for no other reason then to avoid the financial liabilities which could arise from causing injury to someone. The father should consider better trail choice and making sure that his child clears the trail in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm not sure the OP truly appreciates who bad this situation could have gotten. Both parties were very lucky. If it were me, I'd learn from the situation and go buy a lottery ticket.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post

I'm not sure the OP truly appreciates who bad this situation could have gotten.
    Really? Seems like all he's done is try to cover his a$$. I'm not sensing the least bit of contrition.

mtbr member
    OP your bad at school.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...

hahaha. op maybe if you are so gnar awesome extreme why dont you step it up a bit?

Pro Crastinator
    i don't know why there is all this *****ing, the OP is obviously lying anyway...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Were your riding a Jeep bike?

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...
    kinda what i was thinking.

here in the cleveland area we have a brand new beginner friendly mtb trail in the metroparks, that has taken many years to become reality. only been open for a month but there have been a lot of incidents of xc racer-types using this trail as their personal time trial practice course, while there are brand new trail riders making the rounds... as well as hikers galore (its multi-use, but designed as singletrack.) one good part is that there is limited undergrowth through 90% of the trail, so there arent many blind corners- a lot of open sightline here. still, there are those who ride it way too fast, and fail to heed the fact that the noobs on the trail dont have the skill nor forethought to look far enough ahead.

something bad is going to happen, and its going to reflect badly on the mtb community as a whole, despite many of our best efforts to see that it doesnt happen. the fact that a lot of cleveland metropark users (read: horse people and hikers) are adamantly opposed to sharing the woods with mtbers already has us on the radar, and someones kid getting plowed by speedy is going to really stir the hornets nest.

as a parent, i would be pissed if i saw someone riding as carelessly as the OP, and would have been hard pressed not to flip the fcuk out on him. at the same time, as a rider i think the OP pulled a lucky save out of his bag of tricks.

its real easy for everyone to armchair quarterback it, but until it happens you never know how youll react or what youd do. im not that good of a rider and i still blast the blind corners on the trails im familiar with, as im sure many of you do. i even take into account who else might be on the trail at any given time, but im not going to ride slow-mo in fear of whats around every corner. the burden of responsible trail use falls on everyone on the trail no matter their personal means of conveyance, be it bicycle, horseback, or on foot.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Wtf?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    To the OP -- You CLEARLY do not have children of your own. Trust me, I am 100% sure you escaped out of luck, not skill ... and I'm not referring to avoiding the collision. I'm referring to avoiding the dad. For whatever reason, he let it go. 9 times of 10 my bet would be no amount of speed would get you away from a major test of your 'skill' with punches and knees flying into your face from the significant majority of dads in the same situation. I don't know the reason why the dad wasn't blocking for his son (maybe one-direction trail so he didn't need worry about your approach from the front of his son?), but regardless, his error pales by a million times compared to your stupidity. Barreling down to find your gf? Judging from the fact that a child was on the same trail, low likelihood that her delay was because she could've been seriously injured or maybe attacked by a bear, so your reaction was overkill and almost had serious consequences. Getting dark? The kid was still on the trail. How old is your gf? More reasonable judgment would've delayed you at most 5-10 minutes from the sounds of things. Had that been my son, your season would be over at a minimum.
    Truth.

I am not sure what I would have done to a raging idiot barreling down on my 4yo, but I would have been risking jail time.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    ...hit up another trail to go the right direction to come up from behind her, which is where that kid was...
    so, now you're railing uphill turns and bunnyhopping people? c'mon dude, do we all seem that stupid?

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    The OP doesn't have a clue!

mtbr member
    cool story bro.

so the girlfriend...is she hawt?

pics or gtfo!

mtbr member
    Hahaha, can you imagine not clearing the kid and nailing the poor kid in the face.

I do agree that Trails that are KNOWN to have MTB Riders going down/up should be biked with caution...if the kid is the middle of the road it's hard to really say whose fault it really is. Just be happy no one got hurt and that you made yourself look like a badass.

It was a big risk. But it's possible that if you just tried to brake you would of ran into him anyways. Idk next time you should be careful. Should be a reminder for anyone.

I've had this experience before, there are many blind corners at the place I bike. It's a famous/popular place for really Fast/DH/All-Mountain Bikers and I would often yell to warn anyone that was around the blind corner. Still, many people are quite deaf and somewhat ignorant, despite me BEING LOUD and as I turn the corner I would literally see people look up dumb-founded like a deer in headlights, in the middle of the trail, as I would luckily swerve around them. Sometimes they would tell yell at me to slow down...the fact is, the trail is made for Bikers/Predominately Bikers (with warnings and such). Some people are just ignorant and deaf. Sometimes you can't do anything you have to take appropriate action. I just wish atleast people would stay on right side and not take up the whole trail like the Great Human Wall Of China.
    Easy Does It.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    my son at 2 years 6 months

when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.

Get this kid some gears!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The important question is did you say hello when you were hopping over him?
    I hate it when people pass me on the trail and don't say hello.

BTW, think about retitling the thread Babyhead Technique.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member

when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.
    That is awesome, you've got some great times to look forward to, must be proud. As a father of a 9yo let me tell ya, enjoy every minute, it goes too fast.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    You people need to just chill the heck out on the OP here, I mean, seriously! I was on the exact same trail today and bombed around a blind corner and guess what? Yup. That same stupid kid was there, lying in the trail. I bunny hopped him too. Then I banged the OP's girlfriend.

mtbr member
    Actually I had guessed you for about 14. At least try to learn something from this.

Jeep bike indeed.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    OP your bad at school.

you're*
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member

Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    You people need to just chill the heck out on the OP here, I mean, seriously! I was on the exact same trail today and bombed around a blind corner and guess what? Yup. That same stupid kid was there, lying in the trail. I bunny hopped him too. Then I banged the OP's girlfriend.
    ...and NOW we know why you didn't get there in time to save the snake and the toad.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Thread hijack. How did you start your kid out? I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    Training wheels are evil.

Once my kids could scoot around comfortably, a few days with that long loop handle that attaches to the rear axle (like "balance buddy") got them comfortable enough to ride on their own

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    x2 on the balance bike.

On wuss patrol
    I have my 2 year old on a scoot bike which he is pretty good on but he is starting to ask for a new bike. I think he wants pedals. I don't want to get him one with training wheels because I think that would be a step backwards.
    That is why you start them on a scoot or stride bike -- to skip the training wheels.

BTW, pic of the OP. This thread is such a

Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Started my boy on a balance bike at 2 years old... Now 2 years 10 months, and he's ready for pedals... Just waiting for him to grow another inch or so. But we're not doing the training wheels thing either

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    the balance bike thing is the major part....next is pedaling.

for my kiddo we got him a tricycle (fixed, not the freewheel kind). took him like 10 minutes to figure it out.

I also picked up a Specialized Hotrock (12") used - they are MUCH lighter than wally world kiddo bikes....and 7 or 8 lbs makes a huge difference to someone who weighs in at 25lbs.

and lastly i picked him up a set of toddler sized skate pads (with mini fingerless gloves). It's no biggee to fall and scrape a knee....it becomes a big deal to fall on the same scrape 30 seconds later.

the pads kept him from being scared of crashing:
    BELL(R) Toddler Boy Knee and Elbow Pad Set with Gloves

(i have never used the site above - just to show you what pads i got my boy)

my son leaned 13 days after his 2nd b-day (when i found a deal on a hotrock)....took him like 20 seconds to take off like a bat out of hell....i ran like 6 miles that day chasing him around.

Ordering my daughters strider today - she is now tall enough at 16 months (yay)

PS - it takes a while for them to figure out coaster brakes - you will go thru a couple pairs of shoes. And for a FF helmet - Pryme makes the smallest i could find

good luck!

[/threadjack]
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member

This thread could use a hijack....

Anyways..

Awesome job by that little man... What a great start!.. I have 3 month old and can't wait to get him in a trailer (in a year or so) and then on a balance bike, then on and on...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    it was downhill, rooty, curvy, rutted... not a beginner trail, and not where a kid that little belongs on the ground for any extended period of time. people keep jumping to conclusions that this is an easy trail, where there are many children. i've never seen children on there, and i've been going there for the past 15 years. its just something that you don't expect to see, esp at dusk. i don't think you people who keep bashing me understand what happened... blind turn, saw the kid, jumped. by the time i hit the ground and started braking, i still hadn't reached the dad yet, thats how far away he was from the kid. i stopped a good 10 feet from the dad. i turned around to make sure the kid was ok, and i was still closer to the kid than the dad was. thats how "worried" the dad was. i'm not against kids on trails, but you can't let the kid trail that far behind you, and you can't leave them laying on the ground in a turn. you never know who's coming down behind you. its a one way trail, signs posted everywhere. there's hiking trails in there too, but this is a bicycle trail. they are separate.

it was downhill, rooty, curvy, rutted... not a beginner trail, and not where a kid that little belongs on the ground for any extended period of time. people keep jumping to conclusions that this is an easy trail, where there are many children. i've never seen children on there, and i've been going there for the past 15 years. its just something that you don't expect to see, esp at dusk. i don't think you people who keep bashing me understand what happened... blind turn, saw the kid, jumped. by the time i hit the ground and started braking, i still hadn't reached the dad yet, thats how far away he was from the kid. i stopped a good 10 feet from the dad. i turned around to make sure the kid was ok, and i was still closer to the kid than the dad was. thats how "worried" the dad was. i'm not against kids on trails, but you can't let the kid trail that far behind you, and you can't leave them laying on the ground in a turn. you never know who's coming down behind you. its a one way trail, signs posted everywhere. there's hiking trails in there too, but this is a bicycle trail. they are separate.
    from your OP:
    so i'm going down a single trail looking for my gf because me and my friend were riding and hit a fork and we went left but my gf was apparently farther back than i thought, and we lost her. so i'm barreling down the trails looking for her and i go over a turn and see the kid who fell and i didn't have time to stop so i bunny hopped over him. his father was yelling at me slow down, like i have to slow down............your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at? it was getting dark too.. i finally found my gf, at the fork. she's so good... her parents taught her well... if you get lost stay where you are haha anyways i thought it was kinda cool cause i totally thought i was gonna run the little bastard over
    same story written completely different. can you see why you're catching grief?

and i did not realize there was an age limit on MUT's...is there?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    it was downhill, rooty, curvy, rutted... not a beginner trail, and not where a kid that little belongs on the ground for any extended period of time. people keep jumping to conclusions that this is an easy trail.
    Trail does not belong to bikes only. I hike with my kids on trails that are too technical for them to ride.

If you do not ride in control and can not stop for whatever reason whatsoever it is your damn fault, period, end of story. Are you being intentionally dense that you do not get this simple fact?

meow meow
    so a 5 year old on a stryder bike was going down a nasty, rooty trail and you going up said trail bunnyhopped over him? is that your final answer chief?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    so a 5 year old on a stryder bike was going down a nasty, rooty trail and you going up said trail bunnyhopped over him? is that your final answer chief?
    No, he will change a few more parts of the story. You know, tone it down a bit. He'll still complain how nobody understands his side of the story and will probably start name calling...

trail addict
    have you considered the kid may have just then hit the ground?..like 2 seconds earlier.
    He probably got nervous and fell over when he heard the OP coming around the corner and thought he sounded like a mach 1 freight train.

I am also really wondering if this trail is frequently ridden by people on road bikes.... and it is like 5 feet wide....

So here is the father's version....

I took my kids training wheels off for the first time today and took him to the park for a nice, safe place to ride. He was getting the hang of it so I stopped to ask this girl if she was OK and she was like yeah, I'm fine but my DB boyfriend is cruising around with his buddy ignoring me so I figured I'd just stop in the shade and relax awhile. Just then I saw my son tumble over and get a little caught up and just when I started to go help him, this jerk comes around a bend, aims right for him and pedals as hard as he can (which was clearly not as fast as he was perceiving himself to be), only to veer off at the last second while pulling a lame napoleon dynamite wheelie. It was really just very awkward to watch so I told the guy (sarcastically) that he really ought to slow it down.

Just kidding.... anyway, yeah we've all done dumb things.... but it is dumber to brag about it like it is the coolest story going today.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    It sounds like you didn't need to catch up to your girl friend. Perhaps you were showing off to her on how fast you could ride to catch her. The way you used "lol" in the title for this thread demonstrates the caviler attitude you had toward this incident. Reckless is the word that comes to mind and that's why you're not getting the response you expected. Hopefully you'll learn something from this. I suspect if you have kids in the future you'll think differently about lol'ing about this situation. I've seen kids on some trails in my area which don't usually see kids riding and I thought it was extremely cool that kids were being taught to enjoy the outdoors. I gave the little folks wide berth and encouragement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    you're*

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    same story i was just drunk when i posted this thread. i have to keep saying what happened because everybody keeps putting words in my mouth, and every time i try to explain a little more clearly because it seems as though any detail that i leave out turns into an entire bashing point for me, so i'm just leaving every detail covered. take from it what you will... i still don't think i did anything wrong. i was going downhill on a technical trail, and had no idea i'd ever find a child laying in a turn. imagine you're riding down a trail you've been riding for years, a trail that you do probably 3 maybe 4x a week, and one day you go around a turn and there's a child just laying in the turn. do you blame yourself? what do you in that half a second, maybe 1 second... do you attempt to stop and skid into him? do you ride yourself into a tree head first, and still probably crush him after bouncing off? or do you attempt to jump over him. i mean, if you people think i should have skid into him, maybe i'll consider that next time.

as for it being an easy trail, or me going too fast... its not easy, and i was going fast. everybody who's bashing me, you ride slow? how slow? 7mph? 4mph? all the time, you ride your brakes downhill? why do you even have a mountain bike at that point, you might as well get a hybrid if you're going to ride that slow.

i was doing what we all do.... riding. i was mainly angry at the father, because like i said previously, he was way too far away from his kid to be concerned that his kid was laying on his back in a turn on a downhill trail, and he didn't seem to be making any attempt to correct this. like i said before... again, if it were my kid, i'd have pulled him further to the straight path after the turn in case somebody came down. its a tight trail, maybe 3' wide, no room to go around anybody, esp in that section. but whatever.. you're right. i'm an ******* because i was probably going too fast, and i should just ride my brakes down hills from now on. i'll have to get some more brake pads though.

oh, and i wasn't showing off for my gf because i was going through the trail again to meet her from behind so she wasn't anywhere near me at that point. this trail was the quickest shot to get back to where she was.

same story i was just drunk when i posted this thread...
    PUI is always good for entertainment...

* the rest of your spiel about us riding brakes pedaling hybrids at 4mph....not gonna go over well

PS - a + rep for you taking the hits and not losing your marbles...you're back in the green

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    oh no, more negative rep i guess. lol.. whatever. i'm just trying to live. its the internet though... i guess i shouldn't expect anything worse/better.

oh no, more negative rep i guess. lol.. whatever. i'm just trying to live. its the internet though... i guess i shouldn't expect anything worse/better.

you're green again

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thats how i felt a few hours after posting this if i remember... i must have eaten half a box of spaghetti with taco cheese.. i had this idea of making spaghetti tacos, but i didn't have any shells.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

and this is exactly why children must always be leashed on trails... additionally, when they poop on the trail, have the common decency bag it up and pack it out with you.

Pro Crastinator
    every time the story is told, the holes in it keep getting bigger and more abundant...

i'm still confused. you went down the trail once and then went back to the top to go down again to look for her?
    or,
    you were originally going up and went back down to look for her?

(edit: nevermind, i don't care anyway)
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 07-17-2012 at 05:07 PM.

mtbr member
    If you would have realized that from post 1, you would have known that posting shambles like this is idiotic and probably not going to be taken too well. But, none the less...

meow meow
    ahhhh the classic drunk post excuse. i still dont get how a little kid on a toy bike could be going UP a trail like you desribe. little guy must be a beast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Wow, intersting

mtbr member

as for it being an easy trail, or me going too fast... its not easy, and i was going fast. everybody who's bashing me, you ride slow? how slow? 7mph? 4mph? all the time, you ride your brakes downhill? why do you even have a mountain bike at that point, you might as well get a hybrid if you're going to ride that slow.
    Seems like your judgement stinks.....the tone you used originally starting this thread, PUI'ing, your attitude toward other trail users, and now these remarks. You seriously believe you are utterly blameless? Wow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i still dont get how a little kid on a toy bike could be going UP a trail like you desribe.
    The kid was drunk too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    same story i was just drunk when i posted this thread. i have to keep saying what happened because everybody keeps putting words in my mouth, and every time i try to explain a little more clearly because it seems as though any detail that i leave out turns into an entire bashing point for me, so i'm just leaving every detail covered. take from it what you will... i still don't think i did anything wrong. i was going downhill on a technical trail, and had no idea i'd ever find a child laying in a turn. imagine you're riding down a trail you've been riding for years, a trail that you do probably 3 maybe 4x a week, and one day you go around a turn and there's a child just laying in the turn. do you blame yourself? what do you in that half a second, maybe 1 second... do you attempt to stop and skid into him? do you ride yourself into a tree head first, and still probably crush him after bouncing off? or do you attempt to jump over him. i mean, if you people think i should have skid into him, maybe i'll consider that next time.

i was doing what we all do.... riding. i was mainly angry at the father, because like i said previously, he was way too far away from his kid to be concerned that his kid was laying on his back in a turn on a downhill trail, and he didn't seem to be making any attempt to correct this. like i said before... again, if it were my kid, i'd have pulled him further to the straight path after the turn in case somebody came down. its a tight trail, maybe 3' wide, no room to go around anybody, esp in that section. but whatever.. you're right. i'm an ******* because i was probably going too fast, and i should just ride my brakes down hills from now on. i'll have to get some more brake pads though.

oh, and i wasn't showing off for my gf because i was going through the trail again to meet her from behind so she wasn't anywhere near me at that point. this trail was the quickest shot to get back to where she was.
    Personal responsibility is clearly a foreign concept to you. No wonder why you're "freelance". I wouldn't hire you either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JuanCoglos View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen. The kid hopping and the girlfriend.
    This!
    When people ask me what I do, I don't tell them what I do for my job, I tell them I ride mountain bikes.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast