Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    If that was one of my children it would have gotten ugly. Its all fun and games until you have seriously injured a child. Poor judgement indeed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The OP was oblivious to what was going on around him. He was preoccupied with finding his girlfriend and happened to get lucky when he jumped the kid. OP how do you know the kid didn't just fall right before you got there? Maybe the dad hadn't had time to react and get his son out of harms way. Do I ride constantly worrying about what might happen? No. I live by a saying I first heard in basic training; Stay alert, stay alive. It's simple. I don't like that people are so oblivious because of a single distraction such as cell phones, computers, television or lost girlfriends.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...
    Ding ding ding.......pretty much sums up my pov.

mtbr member
    Maybe his girlfriend wasn't actually lost - maybe she was ditching him

All kidding aside bunny-hopping the kid was reckless.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    You didn't sin against me... And, I didn't say anything about the OP's character.

I did say he displayed poor judgement and he had a cavalier attitude. I still stand by both statements...
    Well I come from a skiing background....so it is kinda of a natural thing to do to stop on the uphill side of the down person....it allows others to see you stopped (the guy down is often very hard to see).

It also means that they have to plow through you to get to the down (or hurt person)...

So if it was my kid I would have been uphill of the kid helping him up....

If I heard Mr. Go Fast coming....I would have stood and faced him....in a crouch kinda like a line backer.....

Well you get the end result.

Kid would not have been jumped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Strava user?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Zstrange View Post
    Seems to me, if your on a trail that a five year old can ride on a 10" bike, maybe you should keep your speed in check just a bit. You know, in case there's a five year old on the trail...
    It sounds more like the OP needs to move off of the beginner trails and onto the advanced stuff.

Time to step up brah.

Sent by smoke signal

mtbr member
    I once bunny hoped 13 kids (my buds), laying side by side. I know it was voluntarily, but does that make as cool as OP?
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    I once bunny hoped 13 kids (my buds), laying side by side. I know it was voluntarily, but does that make as cool as OP?
    Nope, it makes you a troll.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I also get the impression the OP was going backwards down the trail to retrace his "steps" to find his GF at the fork. Theres ABSOLUTELY zero excuse for hauling balls the wrong direction down a trail aside from the first time youve ridden a trail and taking a wrong turn. The hopping over the kid was the best decision in a shotty situation, but the OP put himself and the kid in that spot. The attitude after the fact is something that would you get a trailside pummeling around here. The blatant bragging about the event on the internet just makes the OP a dbag.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    I'll bet he wouldn't be bragging about it if he had ran into his girlfriend flying down the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    LOL, ...Wow, ...Umm..., no comment
    Round and round we go

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    so i'm going down a single trail looking for my gf because me and my friend were riding and hit a fork and we went left but my gf was apparently farther back than i thought, and we lost her. so i'm barreling down the trails looking for her and i go over a turn and see the kid who fell and i didn't have time to stop so i bunny hopped over him. his father was yelling at me slow down, like i have to slow down............your ****ing kid's on a bike with like 10" wheels, who's like 5 years old, and you're letting him lay in a turn on his back like a turtle, and i'm getting yelled at? it was getting dark too.. i finally found my gf, at the fork. she's so good... her parents taught her well... if you get lost stay where you are haha anyways i thought it was kinda cool cause i totally thought i was gonna run the little bastard over
    my son at 2 years 6 months

when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    LOL, ...Wow, ...Umm..., no comment
    Another danhasdrums vs. theMeat thread?

Name:  IMG_0254.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  125.8 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    my son at 2 years 6 months

when he crashes it takes a little while for him to get up....he rides the local ST.

slowing down around blind turns is not a bad thing to do...in fact it's common sense.
    Raised up off the saddle like a boss. NICE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Another danhasdrums vs. theMeat thread?

Name:  IMG_0254.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  125.8 KB
    Nope, I promise.

And to the negger who called me out on my pathetic over use of proofreading/editing, LOL, you're absolutely right. But don't forget my abuse of /s and/or commas. lol
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    OP doesn't grasp the concept of "faster than conditions warrant". He has a brilliant future in reckless driving charges if he gets old enough to get a driver's license.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    To the OP -- You CLEARLY do not have children of your own. Trust me, I am 100% sure you escaped out of luck, not skill ... and I'm not referring to avoiding the collision. I'm referring to avoiding the dad. For whatever reason, he let it go. 9 times of 10 my bet would be no amount of speed would get you away from a major test of your 'skill' with punches and knees flying into your face from the significant majority of dads in the same situation. I don't know the reason why the dad wasn't blocking for his son (maybe one-direction trail so he didn't need worry about your approach from the front of his son?), but regardless, his error pales by a million times compared to your stupidity. Barreling down to find your gf? Judging from the fact that a child was on the same trail, low likelihood that her delay was because she could've been seriously injured or maybe attacked by a bear, so your reaction was overkill and almost had serious consequences. Getting dark? The kid was still on the trail. How old is your gf? More reasonable judgment would've delayed you at most 5-10 minutes from the sounds of things. Had that been my son, your season would be over at a minimum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ok, the father was like 20' away, and wasn't even looking at the kid until i came around the corner because i saw him first and he turned his head. i looked down, saw the kid and jumped and then stopped and made sure he was ok. the father flipped out and i was like f-that. i saw the kid, and didn't run him over. i would have been going that fast down the trail no matter if i was looking for someone or not. i ride this trail every other day, its one direction, and there's not many people there. this is one of the few times i've actually seen anybody on that trail specifically. me and my gf are both 30 years old, she's a vp at a finance firm, and i do freelance computer graphics. we're not 15 years old, and i do have a drivers license with no accidents or anything. this has nothing to do with my lifestyle. people always attack the character in the most ignorant way on the internet. i was barreling down to find her because thats how i ride that trail and i figured the sooner i got to the bottom the quicker i'd find her, and the quicker we'd get out before we lost light. yes, i have a fast pace. yes, i do it going the correct direction on a st. yes, i try to see over and around turns before rounding them, but sometimes you can't see everything. if i was going slower, i probably still would have ran the kid over because i definitely wouldn't have seen him til i was in the turn. i'd have probably jackknifed and in an attempt to stop short and ended up toppling over onto him because i would have been skidding into him anyways, which would probably do more damage than running him over.

no i'm not a parent, but i did bring my nephew out a lot when he was a kid to the same trails when my sister lived near there, and no, i would never leave him laying in a blind turn. i'd walk over there and get him out of the way. i snowboard, and if you fall or you want to chill, you don't do it on a turn, you do it on a straight path where people can see you, on the side, where you're not in the way. same goes with any sport. if your child doesn't want to continue you don't lay them in the middle of a turn, you drag them to the side, or you bring them to a place where they will be seen instead of run over. to me, thats bad parenting.

mtbr member
    If you are riding with a group and loose visual contact with people you are riding with when you reach a trail intersection or "Y", wait at that point until the rest of your group catches up so you don't end up with "lost" group members. Its a pretty basic group ride concept.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    ok, the father was like 20' away, and wasn't even looking at the kid until i came around the corner because i saw him first and he turned his head. ... same goes with any sport. if your child doesn't want to continue you don't lay them in the middle of a turn, you drag them to the side, or you bring them to a place where they will be seen instead of run over. to me, thats bad parenting.

have you considered the kid may have just then hit the ground?..like 2 seconds earlier.

as far as the rest....if you blow thru a blind turn w/out the ability to stop before crashing into skunks, fallen logs, children, runners, deer, the michelin man, bug bunny, etc.... you are going too fast for conditions...

we all have done it.

not all of us will admit it.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    my friend was behind me and i asked if my gf was behind him and he said yes.. both ways on the fork led to the same concrete path out of the st, so it really didn't matter which way she went regardless. i got out and looked down the path to see if she was there but she never came out, so i went back in the wrong way and hit up another trail to go the right direction to come up from behind her, which is where that kid was. i sent my friend to the path where they both exit in case she came out so i figured we had all our bases covered. it was a pretty simple thing, swing back around get her, leave. didn't plan on somebody leaving their kid in a trail. i don't think that you should ever be 20' in front of a child that small when you're on a trail, they should be in front of you so you know when they fall or something. no? i dunno, i'm not a parent so i obviously can't make any assumption as to what constitutes good parenting when you ride a mtb.

mtbr member
    The slower rider should have been put in the front of your group.

mtbr member
    ok, the father was like 20' away, and wasn't even looking at the kid until i came around the corner because i saw him first and he turned his head. i looked down, saw the kid and jumped and then stopped and made sure he was ok. the father flipped out and i was like f-that. i saw the kid, and didn't run him over. i would have been going that fast down the trail no matter if i was looking for someone or not. i ride this trail every other day, its one direction, and there's not many people there. this is one of the few times i've actually seen anybody on that trail specifically. me and my gf are both 30 years old, she's a vp at a finance firm, and i do freelance computer graphics. we're not 15 years old, and i do have a drivers license with no accidents or anything. this has nothing to do with my lifestyle. people always attack the character in the most ignorant way on the internet. i was barreling down to find her because thats how i ride that trail and i figured the sooner i got to the bottom the quicker i'd find her, and the quicker we'd get out before we lost light. yes, i have a fast pace. yes, i do it going the correct direction on a st. yes, i try to see over and around turns before rounding them, but sometimes you can't see everything. if i was going slower, i probably still would have ran the kid over because i definitely wouldn't have seen him til i was in the turn. i'd have probably jackknifed and in an attempt to stop short and ended up toppling over onto him because i would have been skidding into him anyways, which would probably do more damage than running him over.

no i'm not a parent, but i did bring my nephew out a lot when he was a kid to the same trails when my sister lived near there, and no, i would never leave him laying in a blind turn. i'd walk over there and get him out of the way. i snowboard, and if you fall or you want to chill, you don't do it on a turn, you do it on a straight path where people can see you, on the side, where you're not in the way. same goes with any sport. if your child doesn't want to continue you don't lay them in the middle of a turn, you drag them to the side, or you bring them to a place where they will be seen instead of run over. to me, thats bad parenting.
    Once in a while, things happen that you cannot prepare for. Do I slow down to walking pace on every blind turn? No.

But you had the skills to protect the kid, so bravo to you.

On the other hand, would I take young children on single track where a rider could barrel down on them? Or let them ride ahead me? No.

I'm not surprised the dad is pissed but what can you do?
    Last edited by sanjuro; 07-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    my friend was behind me and i asked if my gf was behind him and he said yes.. both ways on the fork led to the same concrete path out of the st, so it really didn't matter which way she went regardless. i got out and looked down the path to see if she was there but she never came out, so i went back in the wrong way and hit up another trail to go the right direction to come up from behind her, which is where that kid was. i sent my friend to the path where they both exit in case she came out so i figured we had all our bases covered. it was a pretty simple thing, swing back around get her, leave. didn't plan on somebody leaving their kid in a trail. i don't think that you should ever be 20' in front of a child that small when you're on a trail, they should be in front of you so you know when they fall or something. no? i dunno, i'm not a parent so i obviously can't make any assumption as to what constitutes good parenting when you ride a mtb.
    Sounds like a rodeo...to me

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast