Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Level of ******baggery as related to the the brand of bike

Ran into a ****** on the trails in Great Brook in Mass. today that yelled, "Watch it!" as we were on a level part of the trail and then he was going uphill a 100 yards later and he pushed my GF off the trail as she was bombing down the hill. He rode a specialized so now I've decided that a high percentage of specialized riders are ******s.

So, to rank the ******baggery level by bike brand I'd rank them as follows:
    1. Specialized
    2. Trek
    3. Cannondale
    4. Jamis
    5. Mongoose

Brands that have cool riders are Kona and Rocky Mountain and brands I don't recognize.
    I base this on absolutely nothing and totally realize my sample size of one is too small.

mtbr member
    i guess d o u c h e is not an acceptable word here...

Wrench
    Looking past the inanity of your post, I do have one question. If your sample size is "1", then how is it that you can accurately rank 5 categories of meany riders?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ride a Trek and it definitely has no affect on my personality. I'd ride with anyone with any other brand of bike, and would reserve my judgement of that individual not based on their chosen brand, but instead by their manners and trail etiquette alone. Just because my bike was expensive doesn't mean I'm an elitist d o u c h e bag for sure. I would venture to guess that the d-baggery you encountered had less to do with the brand of bike, and more to do with the region of the nation in which the encounter took place.

Cheaa
    Did you atleast confront him about the incident with the GF?
    Faith-Love-Drive = drs, Kanjii *Cheaa* ++XC ++

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_in_AZ View Post
    I ride a Trek and it definitely has no affect on my personality. I'd ride with anyone with any other brand of bike, and would reserve my judgement of that individual not based on their chosen brand, but instead by their manners and trail etiquette alone. Just because my bike was expensive doesn't mean I'm an elitist d o u c h e bag for sure. I would venture to guess that the d-baggery you encountered had less to do with the brand of bike, and more to do with the region of the nation in which the encounter took place.
    Ah, I agree with you wholeheartedly there. I've lived in NYC, NJ, CT, Las Vegas and now just outside of Boston and the M a s s h o l e s have well earned their nickname...

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    You've obviously never met an Ellsworth rider. Just wait....

There are d-bags in every sport, the percentage for mountain biking seems to be pretty low. I've met lots of cool people in this sport and only seen a few that weren't. If you want to limit the encounters as much as possible I'd suggest riding more remote and challenging trails. Most d-bags are really poor riders and tend to stick to easier trails within the city limits.

Fwiw, the downhill rider should yield to the uphill rider.
    Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither. - Ben Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    Looking past the inanity of your post, I do have one question. If your sample size is "1", then how is it that you can accurately rank 5 categories of any riders?
    I'm afraid I have no answer to that question. How about the debt ceiling? Is that all sorted out?

mtbr member
    I have 3 Treks and a Jamis. Where does that put me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Bill View Post
    I have 3 Treks and a Jamis. Where does that put me?
    Apparently, you're a complete jack hole. LOL j/k

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Only one person to comment on the uphill right of way bit?

Yes, that's fonetic
    I bet you have a Specialized hiding in a closet somewhere.

mtbr member
    It was sort of an ambiguous situation where we were both at the end of fast downhills and I had just started up around a semi blind corner. I heard him long before he heard me and had already started to come to a halt since I didn't think he was paying any attention to me. He just yelled "Watch It!" and kept plowing through... Then as he started up the hill my girlfriend was coming down he just plowed right through her as well...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    I bet you have a Specialized hiding in a closet somewhere.
    Just ordered one of their seats. Seems like they are good at keeping a s s e s happy so I figured I'd give them a try.

Team Livemedium
    Titus is t i t s without u that's all I know. What was the question again? Specialized/Trek sell a lot of bikes so mathematically there are probably more jerks on those brands. Not a mathematician though.

p.s. damn it who stole my 2 rep powers
    their comment was "I'm having a bad day." I had to laugh
    Last edited by bamwa; 07-31-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mikeb
    /blank stare

Bro Mountainbiker
    I am gonna get flak for this but i think specialized riders have more money than brains.

trek owners... nothing bad to say. Though i do think the company in itself has an identity crisis.

Cannondale- love the innovation and their style is cool.

Jamis- level head with a good price point

Mongoose- total d'baggery on every level

But with that said, i dont go around stereotyping riders just because of the brand they are on.

I try not to let people on the trail bother me. I just try to ride faster than them.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Ran into a ****** on the trails in Great Brook in Mass. today that yelled, "Watch it!" as we were on a level part of the trail and then he was going uphill a 100 yards later and he pushed my GF off the trail as she was bombing down the hill. He rode a specialized so now I've decided that a high percentage of specialized riders are ******s.

1. Specialized
    2. Trek
    3. Cannondale
    4. Jamis
    5. Mongoose

Brands that have cool riders are Kona and Rocky Mountain and brands I don't recognize.
    I base this on absolutely nothing and totally realize my sample size of one is too small.
    Wow. You met one Spec rider who was, as you say, rude and reckless, and you now blanket bomb all spec riders as ******s.
    Congrats. You just joined the club.

BTW. I ride Jamis. I love my Jamis SS Exile. And it came cheap to me. I make no distinction about certain brands and the riders that choose them.

mtbr member
    May 2009

1. Specialized
    2. Trek
    3. Cannondale
    4. Jamis
    5. Mongoose

Could this have been avoided if your GF had practiced the commonly accepted practice of yielding to the climbing rider? Just wondering?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just ordered one of their seats. Seems like they are good at keeping a s s e s happy so I figured I'd give them a try.
    That's funny!!
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    thank god i just bought a giant and am selling my cannondale, im sure my attitude will change

mikeb
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I am gonna get flak for this but i think specialized riders have more money than brains.

trek owners... nothing bad to say. Though i do think the company in itself has an identity crisis.

Cannondale- love the innovation and their style is cool.

Jamis- level head with a good price point

Mongoose- total d'baggery on every level

But with that said, i dont go around stereotyping riders just because of the brand they are on.

I try not to let people on the trail bother me. I just try to ride faster than them.
    i still don't understand what difference what brand of bike you ride makes in your personality...a ****** is a ****** is a ******...

sometimes i ride a KHS, sometimes i ride a schwinn and other times i ride my ibis. what does that make me?

mtbr member
    I have three Specialized bike's.

D O U C H E EXXTTRRRREEEMMMMEEEEEE!!!
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Let's see I live in Massachusetts (have my entire life) and ride a Specialized. I also ride at Great Brook occasionally. Not sure what that make me but I'm sure if cannot be favorable in your opinion danhasdrums.

It's about showing up.
    In the quiver I have a Roubaix Expert, Stumpy Pro, Rockhopper M2 SS, Allez Comp,
    Saphire, Sirrus.
    I don't rattle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast