Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Just got my Phil

Sorry guys. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by suba; 05-14-2011 at 06:47 PM.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Now there is a utilitarian machine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry guys no comment
    Last edited by suba; 05-14-2011 at 06:32 PM.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Oh yes. I meant it fully as a compliment. That bike has "everything" without looking awkward. Even the cable routing is thought out.

mtbr member
    woah, get you some. i am so switching to them bars not that i have a shoulder injury.

Lighten up.
    Great lookin' setup, Suba.

mtbr member
    Nice looking Pug,
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member

NIce

Yea, I echo the comments of all the others here. Phil Wood defines quality for sure. I just got in a wheel set made up with his hubs and they are beautiful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry guys, no comment
    Last edited by suba; 05-14-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Got me one of them in blue with the rear to match. Seriously nice stuff.

If I may make a suggestion, throw some Rolling Darryls on there if you're light on stuff. That much lighter rims make a shocking difference in how the bike would ride.

Love the bike in every way.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    The Sapim Strong spokes are my favorite by far, when lightest weight isn't the biggest factor.

Nice bike! I still have fat bike envy, I am working on getting one in my stable soon enough.
    owner, Holmes Bikes

Saluki68
    Jan 2011
    Nice setup. What are the bars on your bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Jones Ti Loop bars. Great bars! I have the AL ones on my Fatback and am hooked on the riding position. I am switching my commuter/tourer over to loops as soon as the Ti ones are available again and I even dug up some On One Mary bars for my 3 speed to get a similar hand position on that bike. Cool steup suba...and understated quality is always a good thing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Love those brakes!! Gustav M??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry guys, no comment
    Last edited by suba; 05-14-2011 at 06:34 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If bikes were intergalactic battleships, this is what they'd look like. Does that make sense? Doesn't matter: you have one amazing machine, sir

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by suba
    Thanks guys for you're comments. Drew...I understood what you meant. That was a nice compliment, and very observant of you to notice my cable routing I didn't post my pictures to show off, but to demonstrate fatbikes ( Pugsley in my case ) respond very well to upgrades. I feel upgrading your hub/wheel/ BB can have the most profound effect on ride quality over almost anything else. I see some who spend money on bling, yet omit what I feel really counts ( It all counts of course ) We all have different and unique approaches about how to build our bikes. This forum gives us a chance to share that

Surly makes a good hub for the money, so anyone riding them don't feel slighted. I never did, but there are other components out there that I feel will greatly enhance you're riding time. A good wheel set and BB is paramount imho to that end.

Everyone have a great day...
    I would agree with your basic premise that upgrading wheels is one of the best ways to have a profound effect on ride quality but upgrading the hub from the Surly to the Phil really should not make much difference in ride quality. No doubt the Phils spin nice, I still have a set I got in 1975 that spin smooth, but that is something you feel while holding the spinning wheel not while riding. If you had gone to a lighter or wider rim you could certainly feel that but just changing from a good hub to a really good hub?
    You might feel going from a way out of true to true rim but that can be fixed unless the rim is totally bent.

Very cool execution on the whole bike though, ride it and smile all the while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry guys no comment

How much does it weigh?
    I'll have to agree with sryanak.

Not sure how a cartridge bearing hub to a cartridge bearing hub is going to have any measurable affect on the ride quality.

Even going from a really heavy basic Shimano hub to a King front hub, you just can't feel the difference.. it's all psychological. You won't notice even 150 grams removed from the front hub of a bike that heavy. You must be super human.

Swaying away from that, the Phil's are great hubs, I worked on a bike recently that a guy left out in the yard for a few years, and the nice polished aluminum finish on the Phil hub he had in the back was completely corroded and the bearings were seized

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by suba
    Thanks for your opinion. Are you saying going from a Surly front hub to a Phil shouldn't make that much difference in ride quality ? Are you serious ? Do you have anything empirical to support that ? In my opinion a Surly front hub is a good hub for the money. Phil is the gold standard. Sure, a great lace job on a Surly will beat a bad one on a Phil every time, but I'm talking a master lacing a Phil....imo it just doesn't get any better than that.

There is far less friction with my Phil. It's ultra smoooth. The hub makes the Surly look like something that belongs on a wagon, not a fatbike. No slam to anyone riding Surly. I rode them for a few years and never had a problem, but Phil is entirely in every aspect in a different class. Way worth the money imo. They're high flange. They're bombproof. They're pretty, and they're affordable. Slam dunk for Phil....they're seriously good stuff.

Thanx for the good comments on my Pugs, and best luck in you're riding adventures
    I am totally not saying they are not worth the money. I can never argue against upgrading bikes to nicer components and the Phils are wonderfully made, will last forever, have smooth bearings, look fantastic, etc....What I am saying is that you are kidding yourself if you think you can feel the difference in rolling resistance while riding a fatbike especially. Front hub bearing resistance is a tiny fraction of the total resistance on your bike. I'm very sure that there is empirical data to support the percentage of rolling resistance that hub bearings contribute to total resistance and compares some hub types as well. I also base it on experience riding all types of bikes and hubs for way longer than I like to think about. As I said earlier I have had and ridden a set of Phil hubs since the mid '70's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry guys no comment

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry guys. I'm out. Everyone have a good day.
    Last edited by suba; 05-14-2011 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak
    I am totally not saying they are not worth the money. I can never argue against upgrading bikes to nicer components and the Phils are wonderfully made, will last forever, have smooth bearings, look fantastic, etc....What I am saying is that you are kidding yourself if you think you can feel the difference in rolling resistance while riding a fatbike especially. Front hub bearing resistance is a tiny fraction of the total resistance on your bike. I'm very sure that there is empirical data to support the percentage of rolling resistance that hub bearings contribute to total resistance and compares some hub types as well. I also base it on experience riding all types of bikes and hubs for way longer than I like to think about. As I said earlier I have had and ridden a set of Phil hubs since the mid '70's.
    I have to agree. Hub friction is a very small part of the equation, not noticeable in the ride of a bike unless the hub is poorly maintained (ie. binding up, dragging due to lack of lube, ect). There are a lot of other reasons to buy a Phil, perhaps the biggest ones being that they are USA made and that they are extremely long-lived. But, the smoother running bearings are very low on the list, in terms of utility.
    Stating an opinion or fact is not the same as passive aggression. Getting upset when someone disagrees with a statement you make is closer to passive aggression than anything else that has been posted here.

PRETENDURO
    Come on girls, this is the Fat Bikes section, where attitudes never prevail.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Nuts
    Where did suba go? I did like looking at his bike!!
    And I love beer!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast