mtbr member
    Mar 2005

JB welding a cracked frame

Hi, i am wondering if anyone ever tried using JB weld to repair their small little crack on their frame? It say it will bond to almost any types of metal, and once it is dry, it is as strong as steel. What do you guys think?

WWYD?

Are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by jyguy915
    Hi, i am wondering if anyone ever tried using JB weld to repair their small little crack on their frame? It say it will bond to almost any types of metal, and once it is dry, it is as strong as steel. What do you guys think?

You're going to hurt yourself if you try. If the frame is steel or ti go to a welding shop. Aluminum, toss it.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Depends on where the crack is and how much stress is put in that place. I have used JB Weld to fix cracked radiators and power window slide rails in a car. It's amazing stuff. But everything has its limits.

Try it and let us know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I wouldn't...

I've used JB weld to fix motorcycle engines, the dropouts on my hardtail, and a few other items. I'm a big fan of it. That said, I wouldn't trust it for a frame. If it's not properly mixed and put on in the right templerature range, it tends to fail.

Get the frame properly welded or replaced. JB Weld is more of a temporary fix, not a permanent one.

Sweep the leg!
    if it is steel you might look into getting the crack welded or better still have it brazed depending on the type of steel and location of the crack. Post an image and give us more data and I'll bet you'll get all sorts of options.... nobody suggested twigs & duct tape to brace it.

mtbr member

Is this the crack ?

Go for it I say !!!

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    Go for it I say !!!
    Haha, that bike is DONE.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EMeister
    Haha, that bike is DONE.
    Never seen a steel bike look like that
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I think someone should look into making frames out of JB Weld

A few things to ponder

risk vs. reward

Darwin's Theory

comprehensive medical and dental insurance

Reminds me of a story my father told me about a guy he went to HS with. He came to school one day with a horrid paint job on his car. When asked what happenned he explained that it said right on the can of paint that it went on so smooth that you could apply it with a powder puff. And the rest is the stuff that legends are made of...

I might be inclined to take a chance on a window slide or a radiator, but not on a bicycle frame. If this is a mountain bike frame that sees typical use/abuse , IMHO it should be cut up and sent to begin it's new life as a Saturn or Toyota.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I wouldn't trust it on a bike frame.

However, on my lawn furniture I'd have no problems

mtbr member

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    nice troll

middle ring single track

Obituary Search

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Troll or not; I appreciated seeing your closed thread---I guess the mod at the beginner's forum has no sense of humor.

Funny, sad, brilliant and idiotic all at once; I was wondering if you're a writer for Sacha Baron Cohen?

While watching your video this Google ad popped up; I had to grab a screenshot it was so apropos to that thread:

Proof that god does exist...

(BTW I really like JB Weld)
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Im still alive and kicking. Were you with 8th inf in panama? That frame iant going anywhere i had written it off and was planning on taking parts off it for my newest build. But the thing wont die. Ive been doing down hill runs on it on a very agresive mountain. Glad to see my thread is reopened ill ne posting anpther video soon